CI scaler features? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-2000, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What will the CI allow as far as 16:9 scaling? Line Doubled? Tripled? Quadrupled? I'm not overly concerned about getting the CI to exactly match the "sweet spot" of the Sony G70, as I will primarily use an HTPC for DVD playback. The CI will be primarily for DSS and (shudder) the occasional VHS tape...

One other question about the CI: I understand it can be ordered with either RGB or component outputs, and also includes a VGA pass-through. Since the Sony will allow either component or RGB connections, which would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-03-2000, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
The CI will output all the scan rates mentioned and then some including 540P which is the same as 1080I and 720P.
It has an RGB pass thru and ships stock with a 5 way RGB output.
It can also be ordered with component or sync on green as an option but this adds a day to shipping. I would go with component out as it handles longer cable runs better than RGB.

------------------
Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger
AV Science
www.avscience.com
post #3 of 15 Old 08-03-2000, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alan:

If I order the unit with component outputs, does it still have the VGA pass-thru capability (i.e., will it convert the VGA RGB to component output?) If not, how does the VGA pass-thru work - on a unit with RGB -out, I asume it has only one RGB output, and the s-video, component and composite inputs are scaled, while the RGB input is passed un-altered to the RGB output. Is this accurate?

Thanks for the patience with newbie questions....
post #4 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
And now I wonder if having the CI output via component video rather than RGB will fix the sync problems with laserdisc and other NTSC sources playback other than DVD? If that is the case, I sure would like to have mine retrofitted and have it work properly. What input should the CI be connected to in the 9015 D-ILA? Thanks...

-THTS
post #5 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Alan,

There is a HDTV720P on CI's Output Format. I am confused by its horizontal resolution. What is the horizontal res. of the output? Unlike 1366X768, it seems very clear for me.

Xiaoyu,
post #6 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Since there are no direct answers yet, I have some questions about the CI as well. I am actually on the verge of purchasing one. First question: We all know the CI can take a regular letterbox movie and stretch it up 33% for anamorphic films. I assume it then has the ability to take a anamorphic DVD with a 2.35:1 AR and stretch that that 33% as well providing a "double stretch". True?

Next: I have a SharpVision 55 with component video in. I've looked all over to try and find out what scan rate it has but can only find a frequency rate of 50/60 (I have no idea what that means, call me dumb)but the resolution is 640x480. It also says it has 500 scan doubled TV lines. Will the CI be any benefit at all for this projector?

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
post #7 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
the 55 was identical to the 96 except it lacked the RGB connector. The component inputs are for standard NTSC material at 15.75K scan rate.
Don o.

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited August 04, 2000).]

Cheers,
Don O
post #8 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

xiayou,
Unless the CI is doing something unique with 720p, it should have an output resolution of 1280x720 (identical to the progressive resolution for HDTV in the 720p format).
Don O

Cheers,
Don O
post #9 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don O'Brien:
Jeff,
the 55 was identical to the 96 except it lacked the RGB connector. The component inputs are for standard NTSC material at 15.75K scan rate.
Don o.

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited August 04, 2000).]

Thanks, Don, but I really don't know what that means (told ya, my tech talk is not up to par). Will it work and be usefull or not?

Jeff

post #10 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Don O

Now I understood how to interpret CI's specs.: HDTV means 16X9 AR.

Jeff: good question about double anamorphic for 2.35:1 stretch. I hope Rick could help, since he gave a detail report for his CI. Now we all knew CI can stretch letterboxed movie to 33% vertically, but I would like to know: can CI stretch an anamorphic movie 33% vertically?

Xiaoyu,
post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
<<can CI stretch an anamorphic movie 33% vertically?>>

Yes it can! When the CI is set to 4x3 with your DVD player set to 16x9 you have to use "Anamorphic 1" to get the correct aspect ratio. When you switch too "Standard" it then stretches the Anamorphic material to use the full 4x3 panel of your projector. This would allow the the use of an anamorphic lens to bring it back to the correct aspect ratio with the added lines and light.

------------------
Thanks

Rick & Carey's Home Theater

Rick
post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2000, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,
the 55u will only accept standard video material on the component inputs. I t will not be able to synch with any progressive output mode of a line doubler or scaler through the component video inputs of this projector. It was a video only projector, not data grade.

Don O

Cheers,
Don O
post #13 of 15 Old 08-06-2000, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moving this back to the top in the hopes that Alan will see it and reply.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-08-2000, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Lemke:
Since there are no direct answers yet, I have some questions about the CI as well. ...
I have CI questions, too.
-> Is there some on-line manual for the CI that I can go look at and answer questions on my own? It might be in an "obvious" spot, but I can't find it.
-> Do I understand correctly that "anamorphic stretch" is basically taking the 360 (or so) active scan lines of a letter boxed movie and somewhat doubling them into 480 lines? Or is it something else.
-> Does the CI do any kind of "wide zoom"? I have a SDTV RPTV (basically a big 16x9 SVGA computer monitor) that "locks " into widescreen mode when displaying RGB.
-> How does the CI compare with the Cinematrix mod? I'll probably end up with one of each (Cinematrix for DVD, CI for DSS), but maybe I don't need to?
-> I take it (from comments in the forum) that the CI has a fixed number of output formats. Is this true? I'm hoping for 1248x480 at 72Hz, but 720p would be fine ... :-)
Thanks in advance for any input! (and apologies for typos - I've gotten to really rely on spellcheckers...)
Bob

post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-2000, 01:36 AM

bobkoure:
Quote:
-> Is there some on-line manual for the CI that I can go look at and answer questions on my own? It might be in an "obvious" spot, but I can't find it.
I don't know, sorry.

Quote:
-> Do I understand correctly that "anamorphic stretch" is basically taking the 360 (or so) active scan lines of a letter boxed movie and somewhat doubling them into 480 lines? Or is it something else.
Yes.

Quote:
-> Does the CI do any kind of "wide zoom"? I have a SDTV RPTV (basically a big 16x9 SVGA computer monitor) that "locks " into widescreen mode when displaying RGB.
You can specify that you have an anamorphic 16:9 output devices. The CI can convert any input aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 letterboxed, 16:9 anamorph) into this output aspect ratio. You can switch between different conversion by pressing distinct buttons on the CI remote.

Quote:
-> How does the CI compare with the Cinematrix mod? I'll probably end up with one of each (Cinematrix for DVD, CI for DSS), but maybe I don't need to?
I really don't know. I don't have a Cinematrix available. But I assume from comparisions to HTPCs that the CI at least has 95% of the quality. An additional advantage is that the CI integrates all different source win a convinient way. The Cinematrix has, at least for now, no possibility to remote control aspect ratio changes. It also is a very new product and has to show the robustness in the daily use first. It has taken about half an year at the market for the CI until all the quirks had been sorted out. It now is a very stable and reliable product and the image is just great.
I would recommend to start with the CI.

Quote:
-> I take it (from comments in the forum) that the CI has a fixed number of output formats. Is this true? I'm hoping for 1248x480 at 72Hz, but 720p would be fine ... :-)
Yes it has a fixed number of formats, but this list contains all the formats that are really necessary. 1248x480 is no commonly used format and is not supported, 720p is available. The CI will only output 60 Hz.

Emil
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page