Vigatec output connectors - how versatile are they? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-08-2000, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeing that the Vigatec has two output connectors I was wondering how these can be used. Is it possible to have both connectors connected?

Would it for instance be possible for me to use the 5xBNC for connection to the projector and the DB15 for connection to an RPTV? (I.e. both devices connected at all time).

If this is possible it brings me to my next question; is there an easy way to switch output mode? (For instance switching between use of 1365x1024 [projector] or simple Linedoubling [RPTV]).

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both outputs are active can be used simultanously but will carry same
signal and same sync configuration. The VIGATEC scalers have H and V
selectabel positive or negative sync and composite sync again positive or negative - altogether four selectabel formats. Especially the negative composite sync ir required for older
BARCO projector.

------------------
make it so
spatz

Eidophor oil projector on a fork lifter connected to an original SONY BETAMAX, stunning picture, never seen anything better
post #3 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is great! Is it possible to set up two different output modes that can be switched with the touch of a button? For instance my RPTV wants RGB with Composite Synch and Linedoubling. For the projector I'd want tu use RGBHV and 1365x1024. Is it possible to set up different output modes so that I can change this with a touch of a button or do I need to change both options separately?

Peter
post #4 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Peter,

no, both signals carry the same resolution and sync information.
It is a active buffered output. What you want would require two units.

------------------
make it so
spatz

Eidophor oil projector on a fork lifter connected to an original SONY BETAMAX, stunning picture, never seen anything better
post #5 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Uwe, you misunderstand me. I don't want to use both output devices at the same time. I only need to use one device at a time. When my RPTV is on, the projector is off and vice versa. (However, I do want the cables to both devices to be in place all the time).

The purpose of my question is how difficult it is to change the output mode when there are several parameters that need to be changed. I'll try to give some examples. Please tell me if scenario #1 or #2 is true:

Scenario #1.
I want to watch with my RPTV. Now several output parameters of the Vigatec needs to be changed. I need to select the correct output signal: RGB+Composite Synch. I then have to change the output mode to "line-doubled". This probably involves several keypresses... I then later want to use my projector. Once again I need to change the Vigatec output mode and search the menus for the correct output signal: RGBHV and 1365x1024. Again lots of keypresses...

Scenario #2.
The Vigatec lets me have pre-programmed setups. When I want to use my RPTV I press key XX on the Vigatec remote and it sets up the correct output mode for my RPTV. When I later want to use the projector I press key YY that changes all the output mode settings to another pre-programmed mode that has the right settings for my projector. Very convenient!

I.e. does the Vigatec let me set up several output modes that I can select with a touch of a button, or do I need to change all parameters separately each time I want to use it with a different output device?

Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter Nielsen (edited August 09, 2000).]
post #6 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Peter,

I do not think that the setup you are describing is very common.
We have not implemeted this but you do need not too many keypresses
to change output res and syn config. Sorry nobody has ever asked for
this.
Typically these operations are executed using an automation system
through the serial port. You may use a computer, too.

------------------
make it so
spatz

post #7 of 11 Old 08-09-2000, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Uwe,

This is really not anything that would stop me or anyone else from buying the Vigatec! However, I do not think that my scenario is too uncommon. In the 1990's an ordinary Philips 46" TV set cost around $5,000. Most of us Europeans that spent this money are likely to still own this set in addition to their newly acquired projector. These old RPTV sets usually support line doubling, but don't include a line doubler....

So just take my mail as a suggestion for adding a few "hot-key" selectable user defined output modes. At least I would love this feature and I can't imagine that I'm the only one with 2 devices that would benefit from a Vigatec scaler...

Oh... This should be obvious, but I'm still VERY, VERY, happy with my "stoneage" 46" Philips RPTV set from 1990... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif That's why I'm asking these silly questions...

Thanks,
Peter

[This message has been edited by Peter Nielsen (edited August 09, 2000).]
post #8 of 11 Old 08-10-2000, 01:46 AM

Peter:

I am sure that you can to this with a remote like the Pronto.

Emil
post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2000, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Emil Naepflein:
I am sure that you can to this with a remote like the Pronto.
Yes, I guess this is a good way to deal with it. I've only heard good things about the Pronto, so I guess I really need to get one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Peter
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2000, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Positive - we have just verified that the Vigatec remote can be learned with the PRONTO.

------------------
make it so
spatz

post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2000, 06:55 AM

Peter:
I have a Pronto myself and had automized complex aspect ratio changes which involved both multiple changes at the projector settings and CI modes before CI itself supported the 16:9LCD mode. So I can absolutely recommend Pronto es THE handheld remote for HT. Without it I would have to use more than 10 remotes to control all my equipment. There are other better solutions like Crestron and AMX, but they cost at least 10 times as much.

Emil
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page