processor suggestions with DILA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading some of the threads here and am wondering what is the best processor to use with the DILA G11 projector?

I am following the MSB mods very closely and wonder if the MSB mods works do you even need a processor?

Would mods to the RCA DTC100 and a DVD player obviate the need to have a processor?

Thanks

Chuck

------------------
Chuck Traywick
Kitty Hawk, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

DTC100- The one place the scaler of the D-ILA appears to shine is with 1080i material. The picture with 1080i HDTV is excellent. I am not aware of anybody utilizing an MSB upgraded DVD player with a D-ILA. At this point in the process the crystal image processor seems to be the one of choice. There was information that the 2.06 version of the quadscan was incompatible with the D-ILA, but they may have upgraded that by now. As you probably are aware, with 4:3 screens no D-ILA scaler modifications to the projector are necessary, but with 16:9 screens and the CI, the modifications are utilized to fix the image to top justify all images on the screen while zooming. The quadscans capability to top, center, or bottom justify the image was a big selling point for those wishing to avoid the cost of scaler modifications, but the quadscans interface is difficult to use with IR control (you would need RS232). In addition, if you ever upgraded to an anamorphic adapter, the quadscan is unable to perform the reverse anamorphic process necessary to correctly project standard 4:3 formatted (letterbox included) NTSC material.

If you only have DVD and the DTC100, you may not need a scaler. If the MSB upgrade to the DVD player can provide an upscaled 1365x1024 output resolution this may be a killer upgrade for standard NTSC material, but if they upscale to any resolution shy of that you run the risk of invoking the D-ILA's internal scaler which is somewhat infamous for producing artifacts.

Cheers,
Don O
post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

My post may have mislead you a bit. The internal scaler of the D-ILA produces significant artifacts with all 480i (conventional video material) sources. However, the internal scaler of the D-ILA provides a unique scheme to present 93% of the resolution of 1080i material (this is counterintuitive) that produces a picture that can rival 9" CRT projectors with HDTV material. The Crystal image scaler can scale any NTSC (480i) source to the native panel resolution of the projector.

Following my post, I did some research. It appears that the mod provided by MSB will provide 8 ouput resolutions, including 1024p. If this output does not invoke the internal scaler of the D-ILA, it may compete or exceed the picture quality of the CI and/or HTPC. I believe that we will need an informed review after one of our forum members gets a demo of this. According to the MSB web site, they have four samples on hand and are developing a waiting list.

I am using a 60x107 16:9. It is a tab tensioned, retractable 2.0 gain screen from Da-Lite. The image appears uniformly bright and I am generally pleased, but this screen selection was specifically selected for my previous LCD (much lower light output). There are some sparkles evident in the screen surface, and thus I cannot recommend this as the screen of choice for the D-ILA. In my installation removing the screen and replacing it would require alot of work and money. I will assure you, that the screen is not too bright. Mark Foster (scaler mod master!) has been very happy with his fixed 1.5 gain screen from vutec. Screen choice discussions with the D-ILA are in the D-ILA forum. You can also go to the D-ILA FAQ to view many opinions on other D-ILA issue. If I had it to do over again I would have gone with a stewart 1.3 gain screen, retractable with tab tensioning, and 1.85:AR. Few DVDs are 1.78:1 AR, most are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

If you will use the panamorph (and not wish to remove it), then this will create problems with 4:3 material if you do not have the CI. Being that the panamorph system has not been released, it is difficult to predict if mods (beyond the DTC100 mod necessary to resolve a D-ILA scaler abnormality present when selecting 1080i and 4:3 AR) will be necessary for the panamorph.

I hope you enjoy your demo.

Happy hunting.

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited August 10, 2000).]

Cheers,
Don O
post #4 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Don.

Mark has invited us over and we are trying to sync up in the next couple of weeks.

I am hearing lots of good things about the Stewart 1.3 gain screen. I will probably need the micro perf due to some room limitations.

Chuck

------------------
Chuck Traywick
Kitty Hawk, NC
post #5 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Don:

Thanks, excellent info. I think the MSB mod is supposed to be able to maximize pixel count and thus avoid scaling. of course, it is early and no one seems to know for sure if this will work as advertised.

We are thinking about a 120" by 67" 16:9 screeb and the Cyngus Panamorph lens. So I guess the Mark Foster mods would be worth looking into.

What screen do you use? I mean size, vendor and specs? (i.e. Stewart 3.1 etc)

We mostly have DVD and DSS for viewing. I am remote so only have two channels of psuedo HDTV. We do watch the ocassional laser and some VHS.

So i guess I'd like to optimize for DVD and DSS.

RIght now I am using an RPTV and it has a good doubler (Pioneer 710). So are you saying the scaler in the DILA is good enough to compete on DVD sources with the better doublers?

I am hopeful that the Cinematrix stuff works in that it will avoid a set of conversions to the data.

I hope to see marks DILA next weekend.

Thanks again for the help.

Chuck

------------------
Chuck Traywick
Kitty Hawk, NC
post #6 of 9 Old 08-10-2000, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Don,

Somewhere in your posts above you mention that the CI scales up ALL (as it should, in my opinion) input signal sources and then to a given selected output resolution level (like 1360x1024). That's precisely what I though prior to my buying the CI and being the sole reason for selecting it. Playing DVDs via the CI's component video input and outputting 1360x1024 to the 9015 D-ILA produce excellent, flawless results, but all beats are off when attempting to playback laserdiscs as things become so unstable that the 9015 winds up selecting another input other than its SXVGA3 (1365x1024) and in the process creating lot of ugly artifacts because now is scaling up too, thus negating the benefits of supposedly having the CI scale up to match the 9015's native resolution.

I don't think is an unreasonable expectation for after all, that's the alledged benefit of using an scaler, right?. Or am I wrong with these assumptions? Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

-THTS

[This message has been edited by Frank J Manrique (edited August 11, 2000).]
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2000, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Frank,
I have not had a problem using the Svideo out (pretty good comb filter in the the LD player) of my LD player to the CI. Actually the video runs through my preamp-processor first and the monitor out is passed to the CI. My experience is limited to use with version 5.0 and 5.2. All 4 of my video sources (dss,dvd,LD,SHVS) have remained stable during playback through the SVID input without the CI spontaneously changing the output resolution. AV source does report (in their response to the review in SGTHT) that in their design of the CI they compromised a bit on the comb filter for composite sources because most people will be using higher resolution video sources that output their best picture on a SVID or component cable. When your CI returns I hope that this problem stabilizes for you. I imagine you have some great movies on LD with your vast appreciation of movies and film history.

I still spin a big disk once in awhile. I just got my G1000 back from RBM and I am anxious to hook it up following construction of my new hush box and ventilation system.

Don O

Cheers,
Don O
post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2000, 01:30 PM

Could someone kindly explain a bit more about what the MSB mods do, and/or post a link to their website or a thread containing the info?

Thanx,
Barry
post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2000, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Berry,

Try MSB Technology.com. That's their web site...

DonO,

Thanks a million. Your answers helps immensely.

BTW, congratulations! You'll be absolutely thrilled with the image quality from the D-ILA projector after RBM calibrated it. Wait 'till yours is up and running... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-THTS

[This message has been edited by Frank J Manrique (edited August 11, 2000).]
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page