post #31 of 38 Old 08-14-2000, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Scott,
Your description of the vertical banding is pretty much 'dead-on' with
what I'm seeing on my DLP at 800x600. Lest anyone draw the wrong conclusion, I don't see this artifact as a 'deal killer'. In fact, in some ways it reminds me more of the marks on film that are used to cue projectionists of an impending reel change...once someone points out the marks, you'll always see them, but until then you didn't notice.

Regarding the HDTV issue, I'm afraid I can't help. Am I correct that your D-ILA does not have sufficient inputs to accomodate the DTC-100 as well as the C.I.? Perhaps the C.I. simply doesn't 'like' the signal from the DTC100. It's probably worth a separate post in this forum.
Good Viewing,
John G

[This message has been edited by johng (edited August 14, 2000).]

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-15-2000, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have seen the black-dark scene blochieness too. It is easy to reproduce, just put in Video Essentials, Title 17 - Chapter 30. This is the best test for initial setting of brightness, and you can see how poorly the CI is handling reproducing a dark image. I have not compared 5.2 to 5.1, but on the later, it was pretty bad.

Jeff in Detroit

------------------
the audience is watching.......

post #33 of 38 Old 08-15-2000, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I've noted that most of the "blotchiness" and "streaking" complaints on this thread have been from digital projector owners. Has anyone seen the same kind of artifacts with this unit and a CRT projector?
post #34 of 38 Old 08-16-2000, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Scott,
Although my observations have been similiar to yours, I have found that this is highly dependent on the quality of the HD transfer. Also, I find that video material that is native 1080i is superior to 99% of the film transfers. My basis of comparison is MSG and Fox Sports net in native 1080i vs HBO HDTV films. The best DVD transfers can compare favorably to the middle of the road HD transfer for broadcast TV.

Don o

Cheers,
Don O
post #35 of 38 Old 08-16-2000, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Scott,
re: HD Shouldn't the HDTV feed look better than an DVD via the C.I.? It's been my understanding that the HDTV signal has at least twice the native resolution of a DVD, whether that DVD is processed through a C.I., Faroudja, DWIN, or other high quality signal processor.

re: vertical light/dark lines. Has anyone contacted Alan at A/V Science OR the manufacturer at A/V Source in California? My last communication from Alan about the C.I. indicated the manufacturer says the C.I. is "finished" and has moved on to another unit. I assume this means no further upgrades, or corrections. Can anyone comment or add to this thread?
Thanks & Good Viewing,
John G

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

post #36 of 38 Old 08-16-2000, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

CI: The blotchy streaking from dark scenes is apparent in my CRT demo room, it is not just digital projectors. You must look for it though, and my example from VE really brings it out. I am glad to hear that AVSource is moving on to other processors. They are limited in staff, and the CI is a very good product for the price. I prefer it to a HTPC solution for DVD! It makes DVD look as good as it can for less than $4K.

HD: I hear the HBO-HD transfers are a mixed bag of stunning to great, with great being on par with anamorphic DVD through the CI. Stunning is still not as good as source HD material. Nothing has topped the MNF broadcasts in my eyes. The CBS sitcoms are VERY spectacular, and just a small notch below MNF.

Jeff in Detroit

------------------
the audience is watching.......

post #37 of 38 Old 08-16-2000, 04:01 PM

John,
I'm afraid to say that I have been in contact with Alan over the last three weeks and he was going to send me a new unit (thinking this would solve the problem). As of today, still no unit. I did try changing the sync in the setup menu and it helped. Basically it turned the vertical lines to hort. joe
post #38 of 38 Old 08-16-2000, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also have a CI with a CRT. I later started noticing blotchiness during dark passages. I have the latest 5.2, just got it end of last week. Does the sync switch help this? I am just waiting for a player with built in scaler: Princeton or Cinematrix.

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page