Best DVD player for CI? CI vs Macrovision? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-16-2000, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just comitted to buying a CI.
Anyone have opinions on the "best" DVD player to use to feed interlaced component video to this scaler?
I've been planning to buy a Sony DVP 7700 (and have been thinking about the Cinematrix/MSB mod) but am now wondering if there's a player with better price/performance to dedicate to use with the CI. Any suggestions?
I'm also wondering if there's any advantage to getting one of those chips that disable macrovision out. Anyone know if the CI caresif it's doubling macrovision? I'm not sure macrovision even does anything to color component. Does it? If it doesn't, then my answer's pretty clear on this one...
Thanks!
Bob
PS: If anyone cares (and it wasn't obvious from my questions), I'm not copying material, just looking for a better signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2000, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you have the Cinematrix, you won't need the CI for DVD. These new Cinematrix units will bypass the Macrovision, which is great, because the Macrovision degrades quality. It will then scale in the same way the CI does, but in the digital domain.

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2000, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by adidadi:
If you have the Cinematrix, you won't need the CI for DVD. These new Cinematrix units will bypass the Macrovision, which is great, because the Macrovision degrades quality. It will then scale in the same way the CI does, but in the digital domain.
It's not clear to me that I actually need a Cinematrix mod, once I have a CI set up. I want to get the CI set up and working as well as it can before I make up my mind. "All in the digital domain" may be overrated for me as I'm viewing on a 16x9 (so no letterbox downzizing) SDTV (so only doubling/ de-interlacing to 480p). There are still the issues of added macrovision (which I'll address if necessary) and potential loss between the D->A stage in the DVD player and the A->D stage in the CI - much of which can be dealt with via a high sampling rate in the A->D stage.
I suspect that I can end up with a picture that's even better than the one from progressive DVD players with a DVDO part in the digital stream (like the indefinitely delayed Proton and the rumored Princeton).
Finally, I've just run out of patience waiting for a RGBHV 480p DVD solution. If the Cinematrix mod was available here in the US, say, last week, I would have bought one. Now I'm chasing another solution and will reconsider the Cinematrix in six months or a year.

With all that said, I'm still wondering if someone with a CI has tried it with/without Macrovision. Was the picture better without, or was there no difference. If it makes a difference, then I guess I'm tending toward the discontinued Sony 7000, as it had a switch (early models) or jumperable solder points (later models) to disable Macrovision. Any reason not to get one of these - other than it probably doesn't support 24/96 DVD audio if/when that ever appears?

Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2000, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The CI has nothing to do with the Macrovision. Regarding having a maximum resolution of 480P, the CI is complete overkill. A DVDO or better yet a 480P DVD player would be better. I had the 7000 made prior to May with the switch. No quality difference. There you have it.

------------------
Silence is overrated!

Silence is overrated!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-17-2000, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by adidadi:
The CI has nothing to do with the Macrovision. Regarding having a maximum resolution of 480P, the CI is complete overkill. A DVDO or better yet a 480P DVD player would be better. I had the 7000 made prior to May with the switch. No quality difference. There you have it.
Thanks for the does-CI-care-about-macrovision info!
I need RGB (svga not YUV) for my monitor - so my choices are pretty much DVDO, waiting for the Cinematrix, waiting for a 480p DVD player with RGB out, a 480p DVD player with an Extron transcoder, or a CI
The DVDO seems to be doing some sort of edge enhancement, and also doesn't do any zooming (not even black bars to show 4x3 material on my 16x9 set - whuch, BTW, "locks" into 16x9 when receiving RGB input).
The Cinematrix mod isn't here yet (and judging from the way that the German Cinematrix company is unresponsive to emails, it'll be a while still).
Waiting for a 480p ->RGB DVD player. Hm... I've been doing that - it's taking so long that it's even become somewhat funny.
I *thought* about a 480p DVD player -> transcoder, but it's not clear that I'd get any better picture than the CI for about the same money.
So... it's the CI for me, with the added benefits of being able to double non-DVD sources and a bit of additional horizontal resolution from using vertically downscaled 720p (LCD array is actually 1068x480).

Now that I know that the CI doesn't care if it gets fed macrovisioned video, I'll probably get a 7700 (and be ready for a Cinematix upgrade whenever that becomes available). Thanks again for that piece of info!
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page