Scalers at CEDIA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-16-2000, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it looks like I'm actually going to be getting started on my new home theater around Oct 1, and hopefully have it done by Dec 1, so it's getting close to decision time on a scaler.

I'm going to CEDIA, so I'd love to get a chance to get a look at and, hopefully, do actual A/B comparisons of any of the following units:

Quadscan
Crystal Image
Vigatec
Faroudja 2200

Obviously, Faroudja will have the latter unit in their own booth but won't be much use in comparing it to anything else. Does anyone know where I could see any of the other three?

Thanx,
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Barry, if you come over to the TAW booth we will have the following scalers connected to the HD800:

1) Focus Enhancements Quadscan
2) Vigatec VC series
3) I'll be bringing along my Faroudja 3000

You should be able to get a good idea of the performance levels of each of these models as we will be doing direct comparisons.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Deniz,

Sounds like just what the doctor ordered!!!

See you there!!

Thanx,
Barry
post #4 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm...

According to TAW's website, they're going to be in FE's booth, not their own. If it's half as good as everyone says, I can't help thinking that FE will be less than overjoyed to see the Vigatec.

Or does Phil have a suite?

Thanx,
Barry
post #5 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Berry: True...TAW does not have a booth. I can only guess that they worked out something with FE. FE needs a projector to show the scaler and TAW needed a booth for their projector. Makes sense to me. A lot of companies team up like that. Here, it might have ben an after thought because they are not in the CEDIA vendor guide.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #6 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

So David,

What are my chances of seeing a Crystal Image somewhere at the show?

I would have thought you'd want to try to get one in somebody's booth, right?

Thanx,
Barry
post #7 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Crystal Image it is not made by AV Science. It is AV Sources product. AV Science sell the unit for them. Alan also consulted on the scaller for them in order to be the main dealer. Not the same in this case.

Also be aware AVS sells the CI, FE, Deuce, TranScanner and so on. Thus to go do a show for a single item they sell would not be a good thing.

As mentioned, not sure what FE will say when they bring in other scallers into their booth. I for one would not want my product shown with a competitors at a show like this unless it was messed in some way. Why take the risk? Not a good thing at all. A/B's have a place. So unless you are sure you can beat the other with both being properly set up, so no one could point fingers, it is not the place for it.

------------------
David Bott

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #8 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Because Focus Enhancements doesn't have a problem with it, then it shouldn't be a concern for anyone and only an advantage for everyone who attends the show........Anyway, who said we were trying to determine who has the best scaler? I can answer that right now with it being the Faroudja 3000.

Specifically, FE requested us to bring on the competitors scalers. Hope everyone enjoys the show. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Deniz,

Alan appears to disagree with you on the Vigatec vs. Faroudja issue (see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000041.html ). I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the chance to see if he's right; if so, I'll definitely be getting a Vigatec.

I heartily applaud FE's attitude; I just hope they don't change their mind before I get there.

It's going to be a real interesting show.

Regards,
Barry
post #10 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Barry, I have not received my Vigatec sample, and I don't believe that Alan has his either so a judgement cannot be made as yet. However, the designer of the unit has told me that it does not equal the performance of the 3000 so I have to go by that.

I have seen several other video processors and even a high-end HTPC and the F. 3000 comes out on top.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Deniz: If FE said to bring them as mentioned...Very nice of them. I personally don't care if they do or not for I am not their for a A/B shoot out (thought nice to see.). Just stating that it is a very strange thing to see happen at a show.

BTW: "FE requested us to bring on the competitors scalers." You used the word "US". Forgive me for asking because I do not know, but how are you connected with TAW? Are you now a HT dealer? Just wondering becuase your profile implies a differnt job type. Not that this would be bad or anything because you have been helpful to people on this site. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif (You also said "if you come over to the TAW booth we will have the following...") Thanks!

------------------
David Bott

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited August 17, 2000).]

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #12 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Denizis just putting up a TAW projector at his home, as a dealer. Deniz, perhaps you could update your profile to idicate, that in addition to your day job, you are also a TAW dealer, to avoid any confusion.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #13 of 17 Old 08-17-2000, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Dave, yes I am a rep for Phil at TAW and actually told Alan about this over a month ago. However I do not intend to advertise on this site but to continue posting as I have for the past 2 or so years.

I also thought about updating my profile but didn't want it to be interpreted as advertising. However if you would like me to change that I will because I'm not trying to be secretive. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #14 of 17 Old 08-18-2000, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah,

nice conversation. I will be at CEDIA myself and I share Davids
thoughts about the comparison of the 3 scalers. I myself did this comparison already and the results are already clear. The 3000 will
head, tightly followed by the VC 1280 and then the QS.
To be fair you should concern that if you compare prices then the QS is half of the VC 1280 and the VC 1280 is 25% of a 3000.
FE will use the other 2 products to show what value customers get out of their money. That is just fair.
Deniz, I will receive units from production today or Monday and I will contact you then. You should have your VC 1280 not later than in a week.

------------------
make it so
spatz

Eidophor oil projector on a fork lifter connected to an original SONY BETAMAX, stunning picture, never seen anything better
post #15 of 17 Old 08-18-2000, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

spatz: You make a very good point on why thay would allow this. Even if they do not produce the best image of the three, it is the price point they are more than likly looking to show. Thus if the CI was their, I wonder if they would let it in due to it's price vs. performance. (No I am not offering!)

Deniz: Alan never told me so that is why I had to ask. I have no problem with your signature as it is. I just do not want to see you name get into a bind due to past activity from TAW. I have always enjoyed your posts and DO NOT have one problem with you at all. I hope the HD-800 you bought to become a dealer is as nice as it can be. We have no problem with ads for the HD-800 long as they are done the right way...As a banner at the top of the pages and not inside the forum. Sorry to say that Phil never responded to our invite to run ads. Keep up the posts!

------------------
David Bott

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #16 of 17 Old 08-18-2000, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dave, my suggestion was not that Deniz change his signature, but that he simply mention in his "Profile" that he is a TAW dealer. Let me explain why. Let's say that Deniz posts anything about the TAW projector. First, I know Deniz will not be overly commercially solicitious and stick to facts, because that's in Dinz' character profile. Ha! Second, let's say I don't know Deniz. When I see what he says about TAW, I might look up his "profile" just to see if he has any business relationship with TAW. By listing it in the profile, it's disclosed if I as a reader am interested. But by not listing it in his signature, I don't have to see what I might construe as an ad. Now that's my two cents.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #17 of 17 Old 08-18-2000, 02:40 PM

The one other video processor brand that equals or may beat the Faroudja is Runco's line. Their 4402 and 4403 units are VERY good indeed. I've seen them paired with a Runco 943 and 991 projectors and was impressed. Also, I've seen the Faroudja and like the 3000 series too. Either one I think would match up with great results on a Runco or Vidikron high end projector. The pictures they can produce from a single projector look just as good as doing stacked projectors on a screen the size of 107" wide. You used to have to stack them for an image that size but I saw a Runco 991 paired with their scaler on it and the Stewart screen had excellent light output on that size. This was due largely in part to the scaler, when turned off it was not an acceptable image without it.

These new scalers are indeed great from both Runco and Faroudja.

Have fun,

Jeff

Regards,

Jeff
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page