post #1 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to hear from some quadscan users as to what you
run your saturation, brightness, and contrast settings at.
I used to run the QS pretty much at factory settings, but once I compared it to my Faroudja VP400, I could see that the colors were richer and contrast was better on the VP400. I started running the saturation and contrast levels on the QS higher now, which I think gives me an image more closely resembling the Faroudja. Contrast and saturation are now in the 150 to 165 range.
Anyone else tried running the settings that high?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

I actually have my brightness on the QS cranked pretty high (40 something from memory). My contrast is actually down a little from the default.

I'm not totally happy with the image right now, my black detail seems a little low. I'm up for suggestions / tutorials on setting up the QS for a better image.

Other than brightness and contrast settings, I left everything else alone.

Roo
post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I was comparing QS Pro with DVDO on my Sharp zw99 LCD projector last night. My setup is:
1. Toshiba 3109, S-video went to DVDO and component went to QS
2. Both VGA 15 pin connector went to A/B switch.
3. QS's output res. was 800X600

I have following questions:
1.There are three thin black lines across the entire screen. First line is about 1/5 of the total hight to the top of the screen, and second, third line are 2/5 to the first and each other. I couldn't get rid of them.
2. I have white doted line in the black area, which is locatet on the top outside picture area.
3. How should I set the termination of the input channel? It makes big difference for the picture.

Xiaoyu,

[This message has been edited by xiaoyu (edited August 17, 2000).]
post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
TEW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Low:
I actually have my brightness on the QS cranked pretty high (40 something from memory). My contrast is actually down a little from the default.

I'm not totally happy with the image right now, my black detail seems a little low. I'm up for suggestions / tutorials on setting up the QS for a better image.

Other than brightness and contrast settings, I left everything else alone.

Roo
40 is way too high for brightness, and is surely why you have poor black detail.
What type of projector are you using? Are you trying to get more brightness from the qs due to a dim projector?
I know it's best to set things with a calibration disk like AVIA. But it's not as easy to tell with the QS if you are getting the right settings. For example, I can run my G70 at full contrast (100%) and still not get any blooming with the QS.
I was just wondering if you can get more impact from the Quadscan by running the contrast and saturation settings hot.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

TEW, setting black level / quadscan settings is tricky. I've had several runs at it.

I'm using an ECP 4101 on an 80" wide 16:9 Draper M1300 screen. My brightness is somewhere around "4 of 10" and contrast is "3 of 10". In theory my projectors contrast brightness range is pretty close to factory -- but it is a used unit so its hard to talk about it scientifically since the range can vary from unit to unit.

My Toshiba 2109 DVD player is set to "normal" black level (7.5 IRE black).

Introducing the QS does increase the complexity of setting the various levels. I actually suspect my contrast on the projector is too low, and this is causing most of my problems. I'm up for suggestions on which order to attack the settings.

The strategy I used last time I set it up was to first set the projector to what seemed to be reasonable but possibly overly cautious levels. If I leave the QS in its factory defaults I have to really crank my brightness / contrast levels to near the top. This seemed wrong. So I set the projector to a "reasonable" level and then played with the settings within the QS as they seem more flexible.

The image is quite reasonable, but I know it can be better. I've also learned a lot about calibration since I did this -- and have recently properly set up my computer monitor at home to view the pictures I was taking with my new digital camera (more toys). I have a much better handle on setting gray-scale than I did. I just need to find 4 hours or so to sit down and play with the theater.

I'm still interested in what series of steps people recommend for setting gray-scale with a video processor like the QS and a FPTV. Since both have image controls, where do you start? What order to you do things in? When do you go back and re-adjust? [I can actually borrow and optical comparator -- which I will do once I get more experience in doing the image calibration by "eye"]

Roo

[This message has been edited by Andrew Low (edited August 17, 2000).]
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2000, 04:59 PM

Am using the quad with a Proscan hdtv ready unit. I have found it easiest to adjust the monitor rather than the quad using Avia, then "fine tuning" with the quad's adjustments. It required much less adjustment of the quad that way.

------------------

James

James
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page