CI vs. Transcanner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2000, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

is there any advantage to paying $3500 for a Transcanner over paying $1800 for the CI, other than the fact that i know the TS will work with an Electrohome and there's still some doubt about the CI?

(i know it's the Elecrohome's fault, not the CI's)

------------------

dave

Widescreen DVD - Because a superior format requires superior formatting.

No, i can't go out, i'm watching Garbo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2000, 07:11 PM

Liked: 10
David,
I have been using a CI v5.2 on an Electrohome ECP-4100 for two days now(Thanks to Hi-Rez for the loaner). I am very inpressed with the picture over my DVDO (not that the DVDO was bad, in fact for the price its a great buy, but it does have its limitations.) I know there were some problem with the Marquee projectors, but according to Gary and Joel at Hi-Rez the problems have been resolved. I think I am going to end up with the CI since it not only makes my DVD look much better, but also DSS is eaiser on the eyes(the DVDO just could not push out enough lines and the picture looked very soft.)

---Andy Garabedian

Old 08-06-2000, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
David R....Not really. They use the same chip (as well as the FE). The TS does allow you to "Dial-In" the number of scan lines you care to use. The CI and FE both have set scans lines.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Old 08-06-2000, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The TS only uses a genesis chip to scale, they use their own chip to de-interlace the image.
Old 08-07-2000, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the Transcanner doesn't have aspect ratio control like the CI though, does it?

i'm currently using an LD-2, so anything would be an improvement...

------------------

dave

Old 08-07-2000, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

David
Yes the TS has aspect control.

DavidW
Old 08-07-2000, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
the Transcanner doesn't have aspect ratio control like the CI though, does it?
That really depends on how old your TS is.

At some point they did add aspect ratio control. You just tell the TS you are only using 1 memory. (I think that is what it is called) and it will do the switching for you just like the Faroudja DVP processsors.
Old 08-07-2000, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the help.

------------------

dave

Old 08-07-2000, 08:20 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
One thing I have noticed is that there seem to be a whole lot more "help my CI just did xxx and doesn't work now" messages floating around here than there are similar ones about the TS.

Maybe that's just the perception of someone who just shelled out for the TS... :-)
Old 08-07-2000, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have have had no issues with the functioning of the Transcanner and my Dwin 7" CRT projector for a long, long time!!! They function wonderfully together, especially how you set a projector memory sized for4:3 (if you have a 4:3 screen like me), 1:85 and 2:35 aspect ratios and you select from the Transcanner menu the proper aspect ratio of 4:3, 1:85 Letterbox, 1:85 Anamorphic, 2:35 Letterbox, or 2:35 Anamorphic and the projector auto syncs to the correct projector memory. One flip of the button!

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Old 08-08-2000, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The Dwin TS is pretty well sorted, where the CI still has some glitches which can be expected for its price and age. The TS is variable rather than a fixed scaler and as such offers some more flexability.
The TS also offers two each inputs (composite/S-Vhs/Component).

Mine works like a dream and gives me an awesome picture. The Faroudja is better on DSS, but for me the TS was excellent, for much less outlay.

I tried the CI recently and found less artifacts and a more film like presentation using the TS. I am not sure if the CI was loaded with the latest software so I might not be comparing apples to apples.

I was still impressed with what the CI did for the low amount of money asked. As always R&D is needed to sort through development, so given time we should see the CI bugs worked out.

For me though the TS gives me heartache free film like presentation of both Anamorphic and letterbox discs onto my Stewart screen.

DavidW
Old 08-08-2000, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
For some reason, my TS with 2.35 A selected did not full stretch (image still somewaht skinning). Even using max vertical amplitude on my NEC9100 still not produce a "normal" image.
I have to use 1.85 A for any Anamorphic DVD (1.85 or 2.35), and I prefer this way since if I choose 2.35 A, the image will spill out off the side about 5 inches each side. I have to use blanking to bring it back to the screen, but I miss some "info" at the sides!
Choosing 1.85A on 2.35 format will give me bigger top/bottom banding but all video are on the screen (no blanking needed)

Am I missing something? I'm using 16:9 screen
Thanks
Thuan
Old 08-17-2000, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

"is there any advantage to paying $3500 for a Transcanner over paying $1800 for the CI, other than the fact that i know the TS will work with an Electrohome and there's still some doubt about the CI?"

Just curious, where did you see a TS for $3500? Every dealer I've seen wants $5k for this unit!
Old 08-18-2000, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

used, not new. when i started this thread, a local guy had one, but it was gone before i could get it.

so i'm buying Steve's http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

it's replacing my Dwin LD-2 doubler which has served me well...

------------------

dave

Old 08-18-2000, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh well, if you're buying Steve's, guess I'll have to go back to considering the CI. I almost said the heck with it and ordered one, but the posts about "blotchiness" on dark DVD passages has me concerned. Also, for some reason (probably busy), Alan has not responded to my requests for information about the CI's component output option.

Does anyone here know if the CI with the component output option will still include the VGA pass-through? In other words, does the unit convert RGB input to component output?
Old 08-18-2000, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,
This is weird, I post forsale my TS for sometime asking $2800 shipped and only received 2 offer with $2500!
Then I saw someone here post for $3200-3500
My was 6 month old!and still under warranty
Anyway, all gone
Thuan
Old 08-18-2000, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys,
There is a TS forsale for $3000 in Classified section
Check it out
Thuan
Old 08-18-2000, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

doh!

well someone responded to your add so i kinda figured it was gone at that price...

oh well...

------------------

dave

Old 08-18-2000, 05:47 PM

Will the TS work with a Dila (G11)
Old 08-18-2000, 05:57 PM

When comparing items of this cost, I would also consider service support as an attribute. Me and some other CI owners on the fourm have not had good support from AVScience. On the other hand I hear good things about Dwin.
Old 08-18-2000, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Problem is, the TS costs $5k, while the CI costs $1800. I'm willing to put up with a little irritation for the price differential - what support problems have you had?
Old 08-21-2000, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

My story is a little different...I've had nothing but great support with AVScience and I don't see any problems with the new v5.2 chip in the CI. I'm sure the Transcanner is a great piece of equipment, but my image from the CI looks outstanding as well.

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
Old 08-21-2000, 10:25 PM

DKeller,
Hi DKeller from NC, I went to NC State years ago, now in LA. Anyway, when I bought the CI I had some initial questions (the owner's manual is weak). I called and emailed and most of my basic questions Alan could not answer. He refered me to the company that makes the unit in CA. Needless to say they never got back to me. Most of what I have learned has been through people on the fourm. I have to say the picture is very good for the price. My real frustration came from the last three chips, all of which I had to remove because of the vertical banding is not tolerable. Trying to get AVScience to listen has been difficult at best. You could say this is the price you pay for buying a product from an internet company but I don't believe this. As more products become available, the people who provide better support will survive. joe PS. I still have my problem with the CI.
Old 08-22-2000, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
joseph:

In one statement you say you have had 3 chip upgrades. I call that GREAT support. Not to mention you did not have to pay for any of them. In the next you say Alan and/or AVS (the manufacture and not AV Science)gave bad support.

"Trying to get AVScience to listen has been difficult at best." This I think you need to re-think. Why do you think their have been so many upgrades to the CI? Remember, AV Science does not make the unit...but sells them. BUT...it is Alan that has been able to tell AVS what is needed to be done to make the CI better. To this info we credit the feedback from users here on the site. He was able to get not just software changes for the users...but also a hardware change. All at NO COST. So he maybe missed your e-mail at one time or could not help you with you issue but referred you to the person that could. Alan receives over 100 e-mails a day looking for help and support (and sales). Most of the time for items he did not even sell. But he still tries to help non the less.

This is NOT the price you pay for buying over the Internet. AV Science stands out for their service and support, be it at the local sales level or over the net. Alan serves people world wide. I think you will find others here agree.

I just needed to say something because I know Alan would not. He is just not like that. I have known him for 5 years now and came to him as a customer. In the 5 year we have become great friends. I have never seen him not care about a customer.

BTW: Have you tried to adjust your blue gun to fix the baning issue. You might find this is the case.

Respectfully Submitted,

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Old 08-22-2000, 09:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Joe
We have spoke several times regarding your problem. I must say I have yet to receive any phone calls from any forum members with this problem or complaints of service. Quit the opposite. We get over whelmed from possitive emails thanking us for the support.
I have hooked up the ci to a NEC CRT projector and there is no banding. I don’t know what is causing what you are seeing. As a test you can hook the ci up to a computer monitor to see if the ci is the cause of the banding. We have hundreds of happy ci users with CRT projectors and have no complaints. Im not saying you are not seeing what you say you are seeing but your case is isolated and if there are others it is a small few out of hundreds. Again I have not recieved one call from anyone other than yourself.
The engineers had to call it quites at some point.
You will see a review coming up in a couple of months in the Wide Screen Review by Greg Rogers and you will see there is no mention of banding.
We all know who Greg Rogers is, he knows more than all of us put together.
If you are unhappy I will give you a complete refund. Thats what I call service!

------------------
Thanks Very Much!

Alan Gouger
AV Science
www.avscience.com
Old 08-23-2000, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello All,
Having worked on the retail side of HT for many years, both as a Buyer and in direct 'brick and mortar' sales, I'm very conscious of customer service. I bought a C.I. from Alan several months ago. The unit made a HUGE difference in the qualify of my projected image...but it does have some quirks. In contacting Alan, I found him to be courteous and helpful. He does like to 'cut to the chase', and that is perfectly fine with me. He has always answered my questions; usually within 24 hours...sometimes via the Net, within minutes. Alan has shipped me replacement 'chips' and even replaced the entire unit. He's never grumbled. I consider him to be a very honest retailer and very concerned about Customer Service. We need more retailers like him.
In the past, I sold DWIN products. It's a great company and they make wonderful projetors and processors. However it's important to keep in mind that the DWIN Transcanner usually runs around $5K while the C.I. is less than $2K. Yes, the Transcanner is superior to the C.I., just like the top-of-the-line Faroudja (at around $8K) is 'better' than the Transcanner. I'm willing to accept a few quirks to obtain near-Transcanner performance and save over $3K.
Good Viewing,
John G

[This message has been edited by johng (edited 08-25-2000).]

Good Viewing,
John G

JVC DLA-RS4810 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Darbee Darblet, Onkyo TX-NR708 Receiver/Processor, Sony BDP S790 BR Player, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,  Adcom & Yamaha Amps .Light controlled HT...

Old 08-23-2000, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Joseph,

banding usually occurs with instable sources like VHS tapes.
You may hook a stable source like a DVD-player or a TV-signal from
a settop box or VCR in tuner mode. If the banding is still there
you should play with your NEC projector and shift the image.
You can clearly check the issue with a computer CRT monitor which
will display the truth. If the banding has disappeared you should
check projector or settings.

------------------
make it so
spatz

Eidophor oil projector on a fork lifter connected to an original SONY BETAMAX, stunning picture, never seen anything better