New Scaler for Dwin HD-500, Maybe HD-700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2000, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've sold my Dwin Transcanner. I may upgrade my HD-500 to the HD-700, still undecided yet on that. Say I keep either my HD-500 or get a HD-700, what do you guys recommend re scaler. I don't want the Faroudja 3000, too much $$$. Possibly the new Vigatech, or the new Transcanner 2. I do need multiple HD inputs, which the new Transcanner 2 does have.

Please give me your ideas and your reasons and how much its gonna cost and kill me!!! And of course I will be demoing the MSB scaler mod soon. But I still need an external scaler for some local sports broadcasts not on DSS.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2000, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I luv Tim's 9" Electrohome, but both fan noise and $$$$ right now is a concern. I am presently considering optins including keeping my Dwin HD-500 when it comes back repaired in a few weeks. I may well have it retubed as it has 5500 hours on it, although it still looks great, especially last night
on SHowtime HD with upconverted 16:9 OAR Stargate and The Outer Limits (thanks to the Bybee and P600 tweaks). Out of the box only the Dwin 7" is killed by the Electrohome 9". With the tweaks and an 80" wide screen, yes, I'll still take the 9"er, but I'm quite happy with my Dwin, too, and of course the lack of fan noise period.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2000, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Steve, TS 2 ??????
rick
post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2000, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,
how hard are you driving that crt? 5500 hrs seems like 1/2 of the way there. Personally, I wouldnt put more money into it unless you cant see yourself with another projector device. As most future options are louded than your current projector, maybe a projector + hushbox are in order? Also since you have a 4x3 screen, maybe its time to consider d-ila or dlp?

- Jerry
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2000, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't drive my CRTs "hard", just everyone else!

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2000, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve:

For the money you'll spend on the new Transcanner, as well as the new projector, doesn't it make sense to at least consider one of the Sony G90s lurking out there. I seem to recall Ted White of this board being able to work out great deals on these. Also, since your main sources are going to be DVD and HDTV, why is a video processor even needed? Since I added a progressive scan player, the only occasion for which I need my line doubler is non-HD television, and Laser Disc. Even for those sources, the G90 has the built in Virtual Reality Creation video processor. I also believe it's whisper quiet.

Who knows, you might even wind up with a larger screen?

Nick http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page