Poor man's SDI - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 744 Old 09-23-2003, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm, Found this in the datasheet

"Video output may be slaved to internally (master) generated or externally (slave) supplied HV synchronization signals or CCIR-656 contained synchronization signals. The position of active video is programmable. Display phase is not affected by MPEG timebase changes. "

As you suggested, maybe differences in firmware program the output different. You could check the H V pins for sync signals. Also the position of active video could affect the result on the SDI target. When i was testing a mod i noticed Dscaler with my sdisilk(compatible) card was giving a correct picture but the H3D card was giving a bad picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 744 Old 09-27-2003, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank's ya'll for this thread.
I had been wanting to do an SDI DVD player for my Holo3D card.
Found a Denon 1600 and did the conversion. Calibrated and I must say itt produces a very nice picture.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #543 of 744 Old 10-01-2003, 01:36 PM

Has anyone tried modding a Zenith SAT520-HD?
post #544 of 744 Old 10-01-2003, 06:02 PM

Since SDI is a 480i signal, you wouldn't be able to get any of the HD signals out of the SAT520 via an SDI mod.
post #545 of 744 Old 10-01-2003, 06:55 PM

I would like to get 480i out of the sdi output and still use the DVI for HD content. Is this possible?
post #546 of 744 Old 10-03-2003, 03:43 AM

Anyone know the pin layout on the panasonic rp62s?
I just opened this model and it does have the FLI2200 Sage Chip.

It also does not have "B" in the serial number so it should be good for the SDI mod.

Anyone have experience with the pin location on the chip?

What tool is being used to see the numbers on the sage chip?
post #547 of 744 Old 10-03-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeyari
Anyone have experience with the pin location on the chip?

What tool is being used to see the numbers on the sage chip?
Pin assignment of FLI2200:
http://diysdi.bonfigleo.com/get_ready.htm
Regards,
post #548 of 744 Old 10-03-2003, 11:34 AM

Thanks Atman, I had already found your site and got the info.

But you know I was looking at another SDI mod on the RP82 and from that picture, I was able to understand just how they were doing the pin layout.

The RP62 doesn`t have the exact same layout but the clock was the same, the 5v+ and Ground. were very similar also. Then I noticed little lines running from the panansonic chip on the front of the board that pass through these two little blocks. Four lines passing through each block. My 2345 through the first block and 6789 through the second. These are the pins I need to solder to your SDI chip.

I can`t believe I figured it with just a picture! I even see on the back how these same 8 pins leave the sage fli2200 chip and go into the Analog process....cool.
post #549 of 744 Old 10-07-2003, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried adding an SDI input to a box?

I'm wondering what it would take to add an SDI input to my Faroudja NRS. That would make it last another year or so for me. I'd hoping that the component/svideo sections probably D/A the signal to a 656 bus, which would make it convenient for an SDI mod.

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
post #550 of 744 Old 10-07-2003, 10:57 AM

if you are lucky and there is a bt656 bus you have a number of problems. 1) How to insert the sdi stream onto this bus . You would need to switch between the original stream and the sdi stream.
2) control over the picture. It's most likely that a lot of picture control is done by the video decoder. You would loose these controls.

as for the sdi to bt656 converter, i build my own converter to modify a tv-card, so that can be done.

regards,

Roberto
post #551 of 744 Old 10-07-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Roberto,

Do you have any details on your SDI to bt656 converter that you can share? I'm thinking I might pop open the top to my NRS some night and take a look inside, see what chips are used, etc... It might be a fun project.

-Y
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who
post #552 of 744 Old 10-07-2003, 12:35 PM

post #553 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 12:37 AM

For the record I want to say that yesterday we successfully modified with PMI's SDI a Pace SKY PLUS Digibox (the original SKY PLUS).

Picture is beautiful!

I am very happy.

I still want to work on the Humax... soon!
post #554 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 09:13 AM

I took my 200 disk sony dvd player apart to look at the chip to see if i could find info on wether it could be modded or not.

There`s a company that says it can and has it listed on there website for the sdi mod. They have a sdi board called DVD2SDI. The problem is they would need to sell ten of these boards in order to do the mod on my dvd player with there chip... because they can only sell 10 at a time....no can do.

So I open the dvd player and the chip is labled Sony CXD1930BQ. Ican find the chip for sell on the net, but no info.

The company that does the sdi mod said they have the firmware for the sdi mod for my Sony dvd player?

Firmware? Does he mean the code for the missing eav signals in the bt656 out put? sounds like he`s saying that the player has the bt601 and they have the firmware to convert to bt656, the way Mavromatis did.

That being said, I guess I`ll wait for the ultimate Sdi converter.

Sony doesn`t have any info on there own chip, anyone know where I can get a pdf. on the CXD1930BQ chip?

I can also buy the pioneer dvf727dvd player and go that route scense I know it can e modded.
post #555 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeyari
[b]I took my 200 disk sony dvd player apart to look at the chip to see if i could find info on wether it could be modded or not.
I have the 650 (300 disk) version. Do you know what the chip Ident on your 850 is (the one you'd attach the SDI converter too)? If it's the same, then I should be able to apply the same change.

I really would like a 300 disk SDI player. I had been planning on getting a seperate single tray player for SDI out, but wasn't looking forward to it. This would be great.

Did they quote you a price for 10 units? I'm wondering if we could get a group of interested Sony changer users together to buy a block of 10 of them.
post #556 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yeah... it sounds like you will need to add the EAV/SAV codes... The DV-F727 is an easy one to mod... I've done two so far... we're working on the Ultimate SDI mod now... the gang got their prototype to test with... hopefully we'll find sometime and release this thing...
post #557 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 01:10 PM

gduprey, I found on the Sony semicondutors site a chip called CXD1930Q. I read the pdf and it has the encoder and converters and everything built right into the chip.....It is based on the Bt601, but i don`t know if it can be sdi modded with everything being intergrated into one chip.

I had to pull two boards and a heat sink out of my dvd player just to get to the chip. I don`t know if your model came after mine, but I do know Sony was doing the everything intergrated chips the year right after my model.

They didn`t give me a price but he said that it would not be worth it because it cost way more than what you paid for the unit! That`s all he had to say to me.

I also have a Panasonic single disk RP62 I will have modded if I can`t get the 200 disk done. If you want info on your model, Just search DVD2SDI and they will come up. I use Ixquick search engine.

mavromatis, Yes, I have found good deals on the dfv727 and I really don`t mine buying one to have it sdi modded. How much would you charge me to do it? You can pm me. If not, How would I enter the code into the chip?

Also mavromatis, what`s the picture quality like with the DFV727 and the other pioneer being that they have the croma bug, does Dscaler clean it up pretty good? Have you compared it to watching movies on the computer or a dvd player with sdi out without the croma bug?
post #558 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

mikeyari,

As for the chroma bug, the latest version of dscaler cleans up that chroma bug. I think I have some screenshots somewhere of the before and after.

The SDI modded DV-F07/F727 picture quality is awesome! I hear the Panasonic ones are the best, but I wanted a 300disc changer with SDI, thus the whole mod project.

I'll PM you. I've got another fella waiting for his DV-F07 to be modded...
post #559 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 01:39 PM

Cool.

Also, I think I saw the screenshots before in this thred of Monsters Inc. I haven`t seen the after.

Truth is, with pure digital I don`t even need to see the pictures, I want sdi in a dvd changer anyway.

I`d also like to get it done to the RCA DCT-100 HD box. I think it has the bt601 and needs the eav codes added. I know someone did this about a year ago.
post #560 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Do you know where I can buy one of those DCT-100 HD boxes? I'd like to start modding a HDTV tuner.
post #561 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 02:35 PM

I have no clue. I bought mine at a Best Buy about year and a half ago brand new for under $400.00. It was the absolute last one they had. I don`t even have HD tv and have had this box sitting in my bedroom for over a year unused. I still don`t hve HD tv because they only have two channels in my area but I`d like to have this puppy modded for sdi, because I`m thinking of going with a Panansonic projector with Dvi input.

I would do a internet search for one. Sometimes you can check your local RCA dealer and they will sometimes have a floor model for cheap.

I went to a local dealer last night and saw a panasonic Rp56 for $88.00. It was floor model though. I didn`t need it because I already have one. I started to get it just for the heck of it.
post #562 of 744 Old 10-08-2003, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

so is an external DVD changer with SDI mod going into a holo3dII is just as good as the XCARD thru holo3dII?

how much is the SDI modded DV-F07/F727 and where can I find it?
post #563 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 04:18 AM

Here's the picture of the SDI mod for the ORIGINAL Sky Plus Pace box.

You have to twist CLK and GND together.

I will put pictures of the end result.

It is really quite easy, no brain surgery at all!!!

EDIT: no need for a 27pf capacitor!!!
LL
post #564 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 04:23 AM

Picture of the SDI mod....
LL
post #565 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 04:24 AM

Another picture...

EDIT: Please note that the 27pf capacitor pictured is NO LONGER NEEDED!
LL
post #566 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 04:27 AM

I know there is a company called JVB that will do the pioneers and many more dvd players.

I think they sell the player already done also.

Also check out B & H Photo if you are just looking for the player and want to buy the sdi mod kit.

I would think the SDI and SDI would have very similar results being that there are both digital, but I heard Li On say he got slightly different results. I think he said PDI was a little better, But if I recall correctly, he came back and found them to be about the same.

Personally I look at them as being about the same, but with the dvd changer I`m getting pure SDI out put with 300 dvds.
post #567 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah I wanna get the changer bad! Does the pioneer suffer the chroma bug? I will prob get the xcard for mpeg4 playback and the pioneer for regular dvd playback. Is that the absolute best external 200+ disc changer player you can get $ for $?
post #568 of 744 Old 10-09-2003, 07:35 AM

From my understanding it does in fact have the chroma bug.......but, Dscaler takes care of that problem. Dscaler contains chroma filer which nulifies the the chroma bug. I`ve never seen it in action though.

It wouldn`t say it`s the absolute best changer you can get, However, it`s one of the only changers your can mod with SDI.

Mavrontis and a few others are looking to change that, Meaning they are creating a SDI add on that will allow more products be SDI modified.

Sony makes some nice changers but they intergrate the mpeg2 encoder and the nstc decoders along with microvison and everything else all in one chip. I don`t know if they can be modded.

Kenwood has a DV5900M 400 disk dvd player, a little expensive for a sdi mod, but it can be modded also.
post #569 of 744 Old 10-10-2003, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gduprey
I have the 650 (300 disk) version. Do you know what the chip Ident on your 850 is (the one you'd attach the SDI converter too)? If it's the same, then I should be able to apply the same change.

I really would like a 300 disk SDI player. I had been planning on getting a seperate single tray player for SDI out, but wasn't looking forward to it. This would be great.

Did they quote you a price for 10 units? I'm wondering if we could get a group of interested Sony changer users together to buy a block of 10 of them.
gduprey, did you ever look inside your dvd player to see what chip you have?

Let me know the chip id number, maybe we can find more info. Also I think the Nstc/Pal tuner is external and you might be looking at the bt601. so yes, hopefully we can get these things modded.

Truth is, answers are coming slow, so I`m thinking of going big hard drives +networking +dvi out into dvi in on projector. I`ll just have to load like 80 of the best Pq dvds I have on the hard drives. It will still be all digital and cost about the same as buying a new Pioneer and having it modded.
post #570 of 744 Old 10-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

What kind of chip does the DCT-100 have? I'm interested in modding one of those now... :)
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page