Algolith Dragonfly Reviews - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 349 Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keenan, if it would do custom, it would support 1400 x 1050. I certainly got the impression from AVS that the initial release was not going to do custom.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 349 Old 08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Full of what? :)

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #183 of 349 Old 08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Seriously, I would not go by what anybody (particularly AVS :))says except for Algolith. We should all know a lot more from them by the end of next week.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #184 of 349 Old 08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
Keenan, if it would do custom, it would support 1400 x 1050. I certainly got the impression from AVS that the initial release was not going to do custom.

Dan
I was referring to the new DVDO unit, :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=568954
New DVDO iScan VP30 - AVS Forum
post #185 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Seriously, I would not go by what anybody (particularly AVS :))says except for Algolith. We should all know a lot more from them by the end of next week.

I spoke to them several times regarding this matter.....It will NOT have custom resolution support features. That will not be available for a few months after release in the way of a firmware update.
post #186 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark, Jason Turk checked with Algolith specifically on this. Not only will it not do custom resolutions, it won't even support a known standard DILA resolution like 1400 x 1050. That cost them three sales I know of right out of the gate. Not very smart IMO.

Plus the fact I sent them two emails asking for the answer to this question. Got back nothing but a canned response indicating they got the email and "would respond" in four hours. That doesn't impress me much either--you ask questions like this of Lumagen or DVDO, you get answers quick. Plus they're here on this forum interacting with us. Where's Algolith??

Dan

post #187 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Given the importance of 1:1 mapping with todays diverse digital display technologies, I can't fanthom why a company would introduce a deinterlacer/scaler that doesn't support custom timings. But then again, something like this would probably require a front panel LCD/EL display Doh! :D
post #188 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
Given the importance of 1:1 mapping with todays diverse digital display technologies, I can't fanthom why a company would introduce a deinterlacer/scaler that doesn't support custom timings. But then again, something like this would probably require a front panel LCD/EL display Doh! :D
You don't need a front display. The Lumagen does it with a set of custom parameters in the on-screen display with an execute option that lasts for 10 seconds. This way if you miss it snaps back to viewable.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #189 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Blues In Thirds

Any thoughts on how the Dragonfly will stack up against the new DVDO processor? The VP30 is sure a lot cheaper [about half the MSRP of the DF]...and looks as if it does pretty much what the DF will do.
Javry
post #190 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The Dragonfly has 1080i deinterlacing/motion adaptive. The VP30 does not, at least they have not said as much. The Dragonfly has what I consider a killer feature, that side by side picture showing you that which is processed and not.

All that being said if either aren't rock solid in what they do neither will gain too mch support...

-kraig
post #191 of 349 Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
The Dragonfly has what I consider a killer feature, that side by side picture showing you that which is processed and not.
Would be awfully tempting for a manufacturer to "deprocess" the "unprocessed" side to improve the look of the "processed" side. Hey, just because everyone's out to get me it doesn't mean I'm paranoid...
:D

post #192 of 349 Old 08-14-2005, 02:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
You don't need a front display. The Lumagen does it with a set of custom parameters in the on-screen display with an execute option that lasts for 10 seconds. This way if you miss it snaps back to viewable.

-- Rich
Rich, how easy is the first time setup in the Lumagen? The reason I ask is that my HD+ has both the onscreen and front display and I would have been lost trying to get everything setup out of the box without the front panel. Now that it's working though I suppose it's okay to poke around with settings and if I lose synch reset everything 10 seconds later. I suppose after setup it's doable, but it just sounds very clumsy.
post #193 of 349 Old 08-14-2005, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Rich, how easy is the first time setup in the Lumagen? The reason I ask is that my HD+ has both the onscreen and front display and I would have been lost trying to get everything setup out of the box without the front panel. Now that it's working though I suppose it's okay to poke around with settings and if I lose synch reset everything 10 seconds later. I suppose after setup it's doable, but it just sounds very clumsy.
that's exactely what i asked to mike POIRIER :how can i set up the dragonfly with the HD2K without front lcd panel
because no 1080p ..NO IMAGE AT ALL

so before he live algolith i give the timing for 50HTZ to preprograme my dragonfly

but we all expect about it

wait and see
post #194 of 349 Old 08-14-2005, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was not hard at all. My Plasma is 1366x768 so I put in 768P. The rest was fine tuning. If you could not start there, an HTPC is helpful if you can sync to native rate then use powerstrip to get the detailed settings. It was easier than the PC since the lumagen locks down the refresh rate and allows you to play with the other settings.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #195 of 349 Old 08-14-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob74
that's exactely what i asked to mike POIRIER :how can i set up the dragonfly with the HD2K without front lcd panel
because no 1080p ..NO IMAGE AT ALL

so before he live algolith i give the timing for 50HTZ to preprograme my dragonfly

but we all expect about it

wait and see
Serial port, command interface is what I would suspect has to be done. That or hook up another monitor.

-kraig
post #196 of 349 Old 08-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 478
I notice all the new processors have four HDMI inputs:

are they buying an OEM input switcher assembly from another company ?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #197 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

markrubin,

Doubtful. More likely that's the maximum they think most users will want.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #198 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
It was not hard at all. My Plasma is 1366x768 so I put in 768P. The rest was fine tuning. If you could not start there, an HTPC is helpful if you can sync to native rate then use powerstrip to get the detailed settings. It was easier than the PC since the lumagen locks down the refresh rate and allows you to play with the other settings.

-- Rich
Ah, but your Plasma already does some scaling so that if you don't get perfect 1:1 timing at first you'll still see something on the screen. The problem is that the timing in my HD2K is exact and any deviation == no picture. Bob74 has a good solution though which is to give the 1080p60 timing that the HD2K expects to Algolith and make sure the unit leaves the plant already preconfigured. I also have a 21" multisync lcd monitor that will take 1080p60 so I could hook that up to the Dragonfly and get it close initially. Now that I think about it, this is exactly the hassle that I went through to get my HTPC talking to the HD2K.
post #199 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah, but your Plasma already does some scaling so that if you don't get perfect 1:1 timing at first you'll still see something on the screen. The problem is that the timing in my HD2K is exact and any deviation == no picture. Bob74 has a good solution though which is to give the 1080p60 timing that the HD2K expects to Algolith and make sure the unit leaves the plant already preconfigured. I also have a 21" multisync lcd monitor that will take 1080p60 so I could hook that up to the Dragonfly and get it close initially. Now that I think about it, this is exactly the hassle that I went through to get my HTPC talking to the HD2K.
The Lumagen comes with a default mode that is 480P (It might be 480i). Most displays can display that since that is what would be delivered from a DVD player. There are publishied remote keys sequences that can be used to reset your settings to the factory default should you get into a bind.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #200 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I guess if it won't support 1400x1050 it also wont support 1400 x788?

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #201 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan
At the price they are asking, I would agree...OTOH, I'm certain this processor will do custom from the gate.
Their customer service sure seems to be good. And they're a supporter of the forum with a rep that answers your questions on the spot. Sure wish Algolith would step up to that plate. You'd think you'd get more communication from them, given the cost of the unit.
Javry
post #202 of 349 Old 08-15-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry
Their customer service sure seems to be good. And they're a supporter of the forum with a rep that answers your questions on the spot. Sure wish Algolith would step up to that plate. You'd think you'd get more communication from them, given the cost of the unit.
Javry

You know, we all post comments, opinions in the hopes that a representative from a company will see and perhaps do something. Sooo... There is no reason IMO to upgrade from my HD Leeza unless Algolith supports custom resolution functions out from the gate. Its just too bad that I will lose my $150. deposit when I swing over to the new DVDO. (Now that that has been said, for a rep to hear)

I will go along with the purchase despite not having custom resolution support because Realta/HQV is a superior product and they will update the Dragonfly a few months down the road. I am doing this because I was told that if it isn't released I can get a full refund as 1 to 1 pixel mapping is my biggest unwavering reason for buying a new processor.
post #203 of 349 Old 08-16-2005, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

It's about time we hear something definitive about the Dragonfly and digital Mosquito from Algolith.
With all the news about new processors coming out I'm getting (very) nervous. :confused: :confused:

Quoting a line from 5th Element, I think they urgently need to improve their communication skills.

Regards,
Pedro
post #204 of 349 Old 08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I'll settle for some new info on the HDMI Mosquito. I have already written the Dragonfly off until 2006.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #205 of 349 Old 08-16-2005, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
I notice all the new processors have four HDMI inputs:

are they buying an OEM input switcher assembly from another company ?
Silicon Image was working on 2 and 4-port input cards a year ago.

I wonder if these aren't prepackaged parts by now?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #206 of 349 Old 08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
I guess if it won't support 1400x1050 it also wont support 1400 x788?

TM
You are correct. This is not one of the resolutions they plan on launching with. Also, they will not enable end users to program custom resolutions. As such, the Dragonfly is not an option for me at least initially with my HX2U. What's worrisome to me is that I can't even get the analog Mosquito to work with my HX2U using the most up to date software. I tried two different new units and neither worked. They have no reason for why the Mosquito is not compatible. Had to send the unit back and get a refund.

I am now going to look more seriously at other scaler solutions.
post #207 of 349 Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh oh, not good news. The Mosquito won't work with your LCOS, may not work with the Canon SX50 either. That's puzzling, the Mosquito isn't a scaler or deinterlacer, can't imagine why/how it wouldn't work if installed before the VP. When you say "didn't work" could you describe better?

Thanks.

Dan

post #208 of 349 Old 08-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
Uh oh, not good news. The Mosquito won't work with your LCOS, may not work with the Canon SX50 either. That's puzzling, the Mosquito isn't a scaler or deinterlacer, can't imagine why/how it wouldn't work if installed before the VP. When you say "didn't work" could you describe better?

Thanks.

Dan
It was really strange actually. When I first plugged it in to the projector, the color wasn't right, the whole picture had a pinkish and sometimes greenish hue to it. Also, the BAR feature was causing obvious dithering - letters on the screen were dancing around - this was really reduced when I turned this feature off. By the way, neither of these issues were present if I sent the signal to the projector straight from the DVD player.

I turned the unit off to try some different cables and the unit would not turn back on no matter what I did. Algolith sent me a new unit believing that the unit was defective. With the second unit, the exact same thing happened. Algolith kindly refunded my money and stated that they have some ideas about what the problem might be but aren't sure. They are trying to secure an HX2 to test different solutions.

BTW, they were able to create the BAR problem with other displays they had but were were previously unaware of the dithering issue. They are working on a solution for it I believe.

At this stage, I think I'm going to pick up the new DVDO unit.
post #209 of 349 Old 08-17-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
What's worrisome to me is that I can't even get the analog Mosquito to work with my HX2U using the most up to date software. I tried two different new units and neither worked. They have no reason for why the Mosquito is not compatible. Had to send the unit back and get a refund.
I wouldn't expect a Mosquito to give a lot of improvement with a DILA because they already have their own smoothing effect. I don't know if it is from a slow response time or what, but there is definitely a reduction in visible noise to my eyes. This also applies to fast detail also though. Comparing a Sony SXRD to a DILA (as I've done with a Qualia 004 and JVC HD2K) will show much of the difference and I would expect the Mosquito to show more improvement with the SXRD or DLPs.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #210 of 349 Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
I wouldn't expect a Mosquito to give a lot of improvement with a DILA because they already have their own smoothing effect. I don't know if it is from a slow response time or what, but there is definitely a reduction in visible noise to my eyes. This also applies to fast detail also though. Comparing a Sony SXRD to a DILA (as I've done with a Qualia 004 and JVC HD2K) will show much of the difference and I would expect the Mosquito to show more improvement with the SXRD or DLPs.

--Darin
Good to know Darin. All of a sudden, I'm feeling much more satisfied with the need to send the unit back :)
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page