Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 349 Old 05-21-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok - we all know why the Dragonfly is one of the most anticipated processors for a while. Some of us - myself included - are awaiting (quite eagerly) our pre-order model also.

However - my patience being a weak point - I would love to find some reviews of actual units which can be linked by replying to this thread - Please!

What I have learned to now is that it has been observed to do pixel-to-pixel conversions from 1080i to 1080p. This was my first holy grail, as it will give me effectively twice the resolution on my HD2K as my current Faroudja unit.

Also, it seems to have had some nice things said about it in terms of competitive products.

I'll kick the list off with the review I found on Algoliths site. Feel free to add any other reviews you find, or - if you're lucky enough - your own personal observations (first-hand only, s'il vous plait).

http://www.algolith.com/fileadmin/do...nment_Show.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 349 Old 05-21-2005, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
How can there be reviews of a product that's some time away from being released yet?

I'll be amazed if much comes up past what you posted.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #3 of 349 Old 05-22-2005, 02:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Q

With the lead time magazines require, they may already have pre production models to review.

Only problem is that I don't put any faith in magazine reviews. Its the hard core user that I can get better information from. That's a problem too, as some people don't have a clue what they're looking at and some are manufacturer's reps trying to generate hype. Its the obscure post from someone who tried the unit that makes a very focused observation that I'm interested in.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4 of 349 Old 05-22-2005, 11:51 AM

i am also waited for my dragonfly for my HD2K and i wondered about two or three thinks:
first: how to get anythink on the screen because the dragonfly dont have lcd front panel to program it to get 1080 p???
second:i dont see anything about the frame rate adjustable?? but Mike POIRIER said to me no problem to get 1080p@50htz(i think you allready know the specific timing for the 50HTZ)
third: is the dragonfly as the faroudja give the possibility to numerise analog input??
bob
post #5 of 349 Old 05-22-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
Q

With the lead time magazines require, they may already have pre production models to review.

Only problem is that I don't put any faith in magazine reviews. Its the hard core user that I can get better information from. That's a problem too, as some people don't have a clue what they're looking at and some are manufacturer's reps trying to generate hype. Its the obscure post from someone who tried the unit that makes a very focused observation that I'm interested in.

At that rate, I'll join you in eagerly waiting. ;)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #6 of 349 Old 05-22-2005, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Fellas, I'm not even aware of a beta program. Hold yer horses...

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #7 of 349 Old 05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The review that is posted on Algolith's site and now here is NOT a review of the Dragonfly, it is a review of the Silicon Optix reference design board.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #8 of 349 Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
It has been stated by a Silicon Optix source that the Dragonfly is based on the Silicon Optix reference design board (read the board they use to demonstrate the Realta chip with the latest incarnations of he HQV programming). The same source has stated that Algolith has tweaked the design of he board with certain hardware and software improvements. Thus I think it is safe to assume that the Dragonfly will be at least as good as the Silicon Optix demonstration board.

That being said, the "review" was a field reviewed based on observations at the HET show.

I do not understand the reference by the reviewer that Qualia 006 owners (like himself) will be able to benefit from the 1080i to 1080p deinterlacing of the Dragonfly or for that matter 480i to 480p deinterlacing and then scaling to 1080p. The 006 simply cannot accept a 1080p input. Sony did not design it to accept 1080p and have no plans for a retrofit to allow it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9 of 349 Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Alan is getting one of the first units shortly. He is going to do a thorough review on it and post it. Keep an eye out...
post #10 of 349 Old 05-25-2005, 12:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mark,

Note that no matter how many reviews are done on the reference board - it means nothing, the PQ is primarily a function of the software running on the board - and that software is changing constantly.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #11 of 349 Old 05-25-2005, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk
Alan is getting one of the first units shortly. He is going to do a thorough review on it and post it. Keep an eye out...

Great! :D

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #12 of 349 Old 06-03-2005, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam
I'll kick the list off with the review I found on Algoliths site. Feel free to add any other reviews you find, or - if you're lucky enough - your own personal observations (first-hand only, s'il vous plait).http://www.algolith.com/fileadmin/do...nment_Show.pdf
Though it probably won't stop me from seriously considering the Dragonfly, I didn't care for that review much. I always get nervous when somebody tries to make their stuff look good by making someone elses stuff look bad. It comes off as cheap snake oil. I hope Algolith doesn't make this a habit. Their product should be able to stand on it's own merit....without minimizing other peoples efforts. Just my opinion.
Javry
post #13 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Javry,

I didn't quite like the tone of the review, but I can't disagree with its content, having seen the very same demo (although not when Rob Feiner was there...).

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #14 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
While this is not a review of the DragonFly, the german "AudioVision" reviewed the Denon DVD-A1 XV with the HQV chip inside. The AudioVision is the best home cinema test journal here in Germany (as far as I can say). Here are some parts translated (by me) :

Quote:
In terms of progressive output the DVD-A1 XV proves to be innovative and unusually good. With our favorite difficult test scenes from Gladiator and Tatanic, the Denon shows diagonal lines or moving details without annoying flickering or saw tooths. That means: The Denon not only equals known Faroudja technology, but in several special scenes it's even better than that.

So even bumpy camera rails and richly detailed pictures didn't make it skip. Also unevenly done animation movies or vertical camera moves were perfectly drawn. And while the Faroudja chipset always has a slight tendency to smooth pictures too much when fast movements are shown, the A1 XV always showed even the most fine details - at least as long as the noise reduction kept turned off. Even movie pictures with half picture overlays were differenciated perfectly.

We had a hard time to find half a dozend scenes in which the innovative Teranex algorythms ran into some trouble and produced at least a slight flickering. That happened e.g. with movie endings with vertically scrolling text - but only rarely so.
Overall the player showed a progressive output performance which was superior to everything we saw until today.

The integrated noise reduction is also quite mighty, but it also has its own problems. <skip>
post #15 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 91
When is the Dragonfly coming to market?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #16 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

My understanding is they land later this month. I'm told that I'll get mine either late June or early July based on my order date. Maybe if we're lucky a few will hit earlier so we can hear some news.

-kraig
post #17 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk
My understanding is they land later this month. I'm told that I'll get mine either late June or early July based on my order date. Maybe if we're lucky a few will hit earlier so we can hear some news.

When are the HDMI Mosquito's due? Fall?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #18 of 349 Old 06-04-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think the new Mosquito is awaiting HDMI/HDCP compliance testing right now. Once certified they'll start production and it should be showing up in September. I'm no insider this is just from my own reading..

-kraig
post #19 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM

is anyone sure that the dragonfly is HDCP complient???
i didn't read anything about this !!
i hope so
if not.... :eek:
post #20 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Just read the comment directly above yours. Sure it will be HDCP compliant. And it has to be. Otherwise nobody in his right mind would buy it!
post #21 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Just read the comment directly above yours. Sure it will be HDCP compliant. And it has to be. Otherwise nobody in his right mind would buy it!
Yes Algolith is an HDCP licensee and they fully understand it's implementation. I talked to the team at the April NAB convention. In fact they said one of the professional products, a PCI card, was being reworked as it failed the security requirements. My guess was it was too easy to get the decrypted HDMI signal onto to the PCI buss.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #22 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 AM

thank's everybody

i will have a quiet night :cool:

I'am waiting for my dragonfly for my HD2K and suddenly i thought about HDCP that's th reason of my question!!

actually i've the iscan hd who is not HDCP compliant....so you better understand me know
sorry for my bad english :confused:

bob
post #23 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob74
is anyone sure that the dragonfly is HDCP complient???
i didn't read anything about this !!
i hope so
if not.... :eek:
I think in general you may not see HDCP compliance mentioned for HDMI devices because it is part of the HDMI spec. DVI devices can be HDCP or not.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #24 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 PM

darin

i will get the sdi-hdmi adaptator when he will be available ,to use with my pioneer 737 sdi modified!
during this waiting i must buy a new dvd with HDMI 576i output,what dvd you think is good enough and without chroma bug !
i thought about pioneer 868(avi59) what do you think...good choice???

bob
post #25 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
When are the HDMI Mosquito's due? Fall?
Here's what I recieved from Algolith a couple of weeks ago. Things may have changed since then.....and the email assumes buying the unit direct.....I guess.

Quote:
................an HDMI/component version of the Mosquito will be available in August, and will retail for 2995$. On a case by case basis we can deliver a component only version now and change it for an HDMI/Component version in August when they're ready to ship, at that point you'll only need to pay the price difference of 500$ plus shipping one way.

Regards

Mike Poirier
Vice president Sales & Marketing
www.algolith.com
514-335-9867 ext 3629
Mike also said in a seperate email that the Dragonfly would start shipping before the digital Mosquito. Jason can probably confirm.
Javry
post #26 of 349 Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob74
i will get the sdi-hdmi adaptator when he will be available ,to use with my pioneer 737 sdi modified!
during this waiting i must buy a new dvd with HDMI 576i output,what dvd you think is good enough and without chroma bug !
i thought about pioneer 868(avi59) what do you think...good choice???
Sorry, but I don't know a ton about these players and especially not 576i output. If it weren't for that it sounds like the new Panasonic HDMI players are nice, but I don't know if they support that output. Otherwise the Pioneer seems to be a player that many people are very happy with.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #27 of 349 Old 06-08-2005, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sony DVP-NS975V is the cheapest 480i over DVI/HDMI player I know of at around $225. It is available at CC and other big retailers so you can give it a go and take it back if you don't like it. I'm planning on doing this soon..

-kraig
post #28 of 349 Old 06-08-2005, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry
Here's what I recieved from Algolith a couple of weeks ago. Things may have changed since then.....and the email assumes buying the unit direct.....I guess.

"................an HDMI/component version of the Mosquito will be available in August, and will retail for 2995$.
3 grand for the new Mosquito?! Jumpin' Jehosophat!

Quote:
Mike also said in a seperate email that the Dragonfly would start shipping before the digital Mosquito. Jason can probably confirm.
Javry
My God, how much is the Dragonfly going to cost, at that rate? :eek:

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #29 of 349 Old 06-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Talk to Jason AV Science has the best introductory deal on these units. Greg
post #30 of 349 Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young
Talk to Jason AV Science has the best introductory deal on these units. Greg
That's true. I did get that email and was quite impressed, all things considered. :)

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page