post #31 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Dumb question: Will this new Iscan still be like the others where: Analog input devices mandate the use of analog output?

In other words, I can't plug devices into both analog and digital video inputs and have it ALL come out via just the HDMI output?

The limitation of the iScan HD and HD+ is that if you connect an HD analog signal then that signal will not be processed, only passed through. With the VP30, yes you can connect all of your sources SD and HD to the VP30 and run an HDMI only to your display (Of course connecting up HDMI sources and going out analog is not allowed because of HDCP).

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob74 View Post

Josh

can we put inside the sdi card of my iscan hd ?

is there a dvi output for connecting with my hd2k because the hdmi connection is not as strong connection as a dvi !

Yes the SDI-601 (the SDI input module for HD/HD+) will also work in the iScan VP30.

What do you mean by "not as strong a connection as DVI"? If you are referring to the physical connection not having thumb screws like DVI, the HDMI connector that we use has a very positive connection.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #33 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigk View Post

Does it have HQV/Realta?

Just to clarify something once and for all.

ABT the manufacturer of DVDO products is also a technology company. Asking whether or not we will use this chip from competitor S or that chip from competitor G is the equivalent of asking Ford whether or not they'll be using the new Dodge or Chevy motor in their new flagship.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com

post #34 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post

Can you comment in vague general terms (yes/no) if there will be an upgrade program for existing HD/HD+ users as you've done in the past?

How about specifics?

Here are the trade up values towards an iScan VP30:

HD+ = $1000
HD = $750
Ultra = $500
Pro = $400
Plus/V2 = $300

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #35 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

The limitation of the iScan HD and HD+ is that if you connect an HD analog signal then that signal will not be processed, only passed through. With the VP30, yes you can connect all of your sources SD and HD to the VP30 and run an HDMI only to your display

Holy smokes! I'm getting dizzy here, folks!

Quote:

(Of course connecting up HDMI sources and going out analog is not allowed because of HDCP).

Makes sense.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #36 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst View Post

This brings up an interesting question. If the scaler takes the audio/video output of say a DVD player and strips the video part of it for display through the HDMI output, how will the audio be connected to a receiver or processor?

How about optical or coax digital.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #37 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:

How about optical or coax digital.

You're enjoying this...aren't you?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #38 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is really helping my post count!

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #39 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Horst,

The digital audio out on the VP30.

DR

Doug Reid - Use a Mac its Healthier
post #40 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm still curious as to how this unit will compare to the DF. In other words....would there be much difference between a Mosquito > VP30 vs a Mosquito > DF setup. The price is sure better. Any thoughts?
Javry
post #41 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to show us a little bit and then run off. Josh clearly has sadistic tendencies.

The $64 question Josh: Is this VP going to have state of the art deinterlacing for BOTH film and video and BOTH SD and HD sources?

I'm assuming that like it's predecessors, it can output 1400x1050 @ 60HZ over HDMI/DVI-I to the projector.

If the answer to the question is yes, and the assumption is correct---SOLD!

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #42 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I briefly browsed through the VP30 info on DVDO web. It only mentions deinterlace for NTSC/PAL. For HD source it only said the signal will be processed without any detail. The current HD+ already process HDTV source over DVI.

I think we need more info about HD processing. I hope by Monday we will know more. Otherwise it doesn't look good...

regards,

Li On
post #43 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Josh,

Can a HDMI input have its audio assigned to a separate coax or optical input? I.e. if I have a cable box with DVI out, can I use an adapter to route just video to the iScan VP30 (which is all there would be via DVI --> HDMI), then pick up the audio on another input?

Good news that the SDI module from the HD/HD+ is compatible! That makes the upgrade a very easy sell for me!

-John
post #44 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

John - absolutely, if you really wanted to you can assign the analog audio input to any of the HDMI video inputs.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #45 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Li On, I understood the current HD+ only PASSES THRU HD source from component input. This one will apparently take ALL sources and scale them to the desired output resolution and outputs all over a single HDMI cable. Josh, is that correct?

It does appear that the new processor does not provide deinterlacing for 720i sources. So if your OTA HDTV tuner has poor deinterlacing, this unit won't help you with that. Ditto for an HD "digital" cable box.

I'm intrigued with the idea of combining this unit with a Mosquito. That might provide the high-end deinterlacing and noise reduction desired for either 480i or 720i, combined with the very nice video/audio switching and up-rezzing of this unit.

Dan

post #46 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi Josh!
How does the trade-in work for HD+ with SDI & HD+ without SDI? Is there any credit for trading in a unit with SDI input? Price is certainly tempting. Is it possible to get trade-in credit as well as early bird discount? I am assuming the unit has full bore HD deinterlacing/processing.
Thanks.

Vinod
post #47 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Josh,

You claimed above:

"(Of course connecting up HDMI sources and going out analog is not allowed because of HDCP)."

I was under the impression that the FCC had voted to prohibit the use of selectable outputs control and by doing so - left the "Analog hole" open.

"The Commission voted to prohibit the use of "selectable output control" technology on all digital cable and direct-broadcast satellite systems, leaving open the "analog hole" dreaded by the studios."

http://www.cedmagazine.com/cedailydi...aily030911.htm

If this is still the case - then it should be "legal" to accept a digital input, process it and output it over an analog port (such as RGBHV) without restricting the resolution in any way.

Is ABT just being conservative with their approach or are our beloved analog CRT's in jeopardy here. Please comment on the actual legal requirement as well as ABT's position on this.

Sincere thanks.

Ed
post #48 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6421 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
I'm also wondering about the trade in with SDI. My unit has the SDI module. When I trade it in will that module be put in the VP30 or do I have to try and remove the SDI module myself to reinstall in the VP30?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #49 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

wow HD+ has 1k ! This is what I call a "real" tradein value ! U do treat ur old customers well. Thank you !

Just one question (I can't find it from the web site): is the vertical shifting feature currently added in HD+ firmware upgrade also available in the VP30 ? (I'm assuming the VP30 can do all the things HD+ can do.)
post #50 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm also wondering about the trade in with SDI. My unit has the SDI module. When I trade it in will that module be put in the VP30 or do I have to try and remove the SDI module myself to reinstall in the VP30?

It's the same module, just remove it from the HD+ and put it into the VP30. It's a very simple procedure.
post #51 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Josh,

Aside from the HDCP issue could the digital transcoding from DVI/HDMI to analog be done to nonHDCP encrypted DVI sources?

Andy
post #52 of 6829 Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuski View Post

Josh,

You claimed above:

"(Of course connecting up HDMI sources and going out analog is not allowed because of HDCP)."

I was under the impression that the FCC had voted to prohibit the use of selectable outputs control and by doing so - left the "Analog hole" open.

"The Commission voted to prohibit the use of "selectable output control" technology on all digital cable and direct-broadcast satellite systems, leaving open the "analog hole" dreaded by the studios."

http://www.cedmagazine.com/cedailydi...aily030911.htm

If this is still the case - then it should be "legal" to accept a digital input, process it and output it over an analog port (such as RGBHV) without restricting the resolution in any way.

Is ABT just being conservative with their approach or are our beloved analog CRT's in jeopardy here. Please comment on the actual legal requirement as well as ABT's position on this.

Sincere thanks.

Ed

As far as I know, the FCC ruling would only apply to broadcast receive and transmit equipment. I believe HDMI.org is the one that sets the licensing requirements for the use of their chip, and one of them is HDCP copy protection must be present.
post #53 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck View Post

This one will apparently take ALL sources and scale them to the desired output resolution and outputs all over a single HDMI cable. Josh, is that correct?

I think you can't properly scale without deinterlacing before (or am I wrong?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck View Post

I'm intrigued with the idea of combining this unit with a Mosquito. That might provide the high-end deinterlacing and noise reduction desired for either 480i or 720i, combined with the very nice video/audio switching and up-rezzing of this unit.

The Mosquito only does noise reduction and sharpen and such stuff. It can *not* deinterlace.

I'd really like to hear from Josh about HD deinterlacing capabilities of the VP30. Does it do proper motion adaptive deinterlacing for 1080i?
post #54 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
Well, one week ago, I am complaining about the lack of processors that do this....

"* 4 digital inputs. At least 3 are pure HDMI. The fourth can be DVI or HDMI.
* 2-3 component inputs. If people have that many, this box has to be the "one box that switches them all". These should probably be VGA compatible and therefore offer 5 inputs.
* 2-4 composite / s-video inputs
* Every single input has sound. So every single input needs its own Toslink or digital coax to correspond with it. The HDMI must pass audio, but since some sources are DVI, this means they also need a corresponding audio. To make things simpler on conncetors, it's fine if you have "mapped" audio and offer 8-12 total connectors, maybe 9 optical, 3 coax. I don't care a whit about coax, but I know some people do."

The new iScan comes pretty close. You may still not get away with all your audio switching through this box if you have DVI sources, but 5 non-HDMI audio inputs is, well, a lot!

And the restoration of the single-cable-to-the-display is at hand!

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #55 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Just to clarify something once and for all.

ABT the manufacturer of DVDO products is also a technology company. Asking whether or not we will use this chip from competitor S or that chip from competitor G is the equivalent of asking Ford whether or not they'll be using the new Dodge or Chevy motor in their new flagship.

That gave me a good laugh. Thanks Josh.

I really like the any-resolution-in, any-resolution-out approach. I wish the whole industry would adopt it.

The 1999.99 dollar question is how good is the video deinterlacing and comb filtering...
post #56 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 03:14 AM

Will this accept 480i over HDMI?
post #57 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
1080P24SF for us Qualia owners?

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #58 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Josh.

Can us poor canadians enjoy the nice trade-in program also? Do we deal with DVDO directly on your site, or with our dealers... As usual, everyone in Canada doesn't know what to do...
post #59 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correct Madshi, me confused!

OK Josh and anyone else who can comment, just a couple of questions related to my proposed new setup. It would be as follows:

Three sources: HD Cable 480i or 720P/HDTV OTA 480i or 720P/Denon 3910 480i or 480P.

Setup: Sources fed to Mosquito, then to VP30, then to NON HDCP display, the Canon Realis SX50, a 4:3 LCOS of native resolution 1400 x 1050 @60hz. Signal from VP 30 would be carried by an HDMI/DVI cable.

All three sourceswould be routed through the Mosquito for noise reduction and the other stuff the Mosquito does. Output from Mosquito would be via a single set of component cables into the VP30.

Here are the questions:

1. Am I likely to be better off using the deinterlacing in the new VP 30 as opposed to that in the cable box and OTA tuner? If so, these would come to the VP30 as 480i.

2. Ditto on the Denon 3910. I have to use either 480i or 480P out on it to get around the HDCP hassle (the Canon SX50 display is non HDCP). For now, I'd rather avoid the Digital Connections HDCP "fix". Am I better off to let the Denon deinterlace instead of the DVDO?

3. Will the DVDO be able to "see" which signal it is getting over the single input component cable set and apply the proper processing without switching? In ALL cases I need the DVDO output over the HDMI/DVI link to the projector.

Thanks.

Dan

post #60 of 6829 Old 08-13-2005, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Dan, the Mosquito needs to get unscaled data, otherwise some of the algorythms won't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page