DVDO iScan VP30 - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #6811 of 6828 Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Fudoh wanted to say thanks on the suggestion on using a 720p input on the VP30 and output 1080i. WTH 1080i the VP30 would just cut the resolution in half to 540p and then scale back up to 1080i. With 720p it doesn't deinterlace the signal and then scales from 720p to 1080i giving me more crystal clear resolution than the 540p giving me even more PQ. I mentioned with Directv that 720p gave me wierd colors but after toning down the tint and color a tad on my Pioneer the image looks even better using 720p. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 6828 Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

Anybody still got some older vp30 firmwares to share please ?

Since I have updated to v1.14 my tv (LG 32LD450) won't accept 1080p from the vp30 hdmi anymore.
60Hz locked or unlocked - no difference.
It worked fine with v1.07 before (or v1.7 can't remember)...

Thanks for your help. smile.gif
post #6813 of 6828 Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That's probably a timing issue. If you switch the VP30 into advanced mode you can manually adjust the timing variables on the 1080p output. Maybe you can try to adjust the front porch, while reducing the back porch or the sync width. You should just try to keep the total horizontal res intact (2200 pixels I think).
post #6814 of 6828 Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 AM

Wow ! Just reducing H-Size from the default 1920 to 1919 did the job.

Never thought about doing this before...

A thousand thanks Fudoh. smile.gif
post #6815 of 6828 Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Hello all, picked up one these processors off eBay. After updating to 1.14, there is no picture outputting HDMI to my 54" G20 Panny plasma, and a 32" Toshiba lcd. The weird thing is it works perfectly with my old 550 Samsung 46" LCD. Should I install an older firmware version, if so where can I obtain? Also, will an older version work with ABT102? If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
post #6816 of 6828 Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
jfortin-
Please contact DVDO technical support: support@dvdo.com
Thanks,

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #6817 of 6828 Old 09-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfortin View Post

Hello all, picked up one these processors off eBay. After updating to 1.14, there is no picture outputting HDMI to my 54" G20 Panny plasma, and a 32" Toshiba lcd. The weird thing is it works perfectly with my old 550 Samsung 46" LCD. Should I install an older firmware version, if so where can I obtain? Also, will an older version work with ABT102? If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
I suggest you try what Fudoh suggested.
Worked immediately for me.
post #6818 of 6828 Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyga View Post

I suggest you try what Fudoh suggested.
Worked immediately for me.

I tried. Still nothing. Ironically, your post brought me here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

jfortin-
Please contact DVDO technical support: support@dvdo.com
Thanks,

I will, thank you.
post #6819 of 6828 Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM

Does anyone know if this vp30 processor will be able to control a hd81 optoma projector
Thanks jason
post #6820 of 6828 Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi

Im trying to update my dvdo iscan vp 30 from v1.06 to v1.14 by using an old computer and a serial cable just like it's required.

I also followed every instruction provided in DVDO website and have used Tera Term 2.3, configured it COM1 - CR+LF @ baud rate 57600 (both on VP and Tera Term), workflow hardware and clicked binary too.

The Bytes Transfered gets stuck @ 1025 and isnt moving from that value. Looks like something went wrong.

I am using a P5PE-VM motherboard by asus. It has a serial port.
I also configured the port through the windows Hardware Manager and made sure the settings were the same as Tera Term Pro. Also double checked in Bios that IRQ4 3F8-3FF was enabled and "ready to use".

I contacted the DVDO support, but didnt got any reply for now..

Did someone encountered this problem too ?
post #6821 of 6828 Old 10-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Hi again,

I have made various tests on my VP30 and VP50 and have no results so far :

-Tried with the bootloader command (hold menu button while truning on the unit) and i couldnt launch the firmware sequence. (by pressing "h" key)

-I then thought it was my keyboard so I tried a new keyboard with a PS/2 adapter : no results.
-Tried to launch the sequence with the digital windows keyboard: no results.
-Tried to configure the KEYBOARD.CNF file to make sure "h" letter on my keyboard would work on Tera Term : no result.

-Tried another ISCAN unit => VP 50. The transfer has failed when 1025 bytes got transfered too and I wasnt able to press "h" on Tera Term when I was forcing bootloader.

-Tried on another computer with a different motherboard and Win7: Same problems again.

Only one solution = the DB9 cable I have is not the right one.

I contacted Ken Nguyen from DVDO and he told me that I needed a straight-through DB9 cable, not a crossover one..

However there is communication between the VPs and Tera Term since the bootloader menu appears when I either turn the Update mode ON or when I force it to appear by pressing MENU button while turning on the unit. Tera Term always have a response from the VP and ask me to proceed .. but i can't go further!

Could my cable partially work for these simple communication function but not when it's supposed to send the update???

Help would be appreciated !
post #6822 of 6828 Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLeDauphin View Post
Hi again,

I have made various tests on my VP30 and VP50 and have no results so far :

-Tried with the bootloader command (hold menu button while truning on the unit) and i couldnt launch the firmware sequence. (by pressing "h" key)

-I then thought it was my keyboard so I tried a new keyboard with a PS/2 adapter : no results.
-Tried to launch the sequence with the digital windows keyboard: no results.
-Tried to configure the KEYBOARD.CNF file to make sure "h" letter on my keyboard would work on Tera Term : no result.

-Tried another ISCAN unit => VP 50. The transfer has failed when 1025 bytes got transfered too and I wasnt able to press "h" on Tera Term when I was forcing bootloader.

-Tried on another computer with a different motherboard and Win7: Same problems again.

Only one solution = the DB9 cable I have is not the right one.

I contacted Ken Nguyen from DVDO and he told me that I needed a straight-through DB9 cable, not a crossover one..

However there is communication between the VPs and Tera Term since the bootloader menu appears when I either turn the Update mode ON or when I force it to appear by pressing MENU button while turning on the unit. Tera Term always have a response from the VP and ask me to proceed .. but i can't go further!

Could my cable partially work for these simple communication function but not when it's supposed to send the update???

Help would be appreciated !
Sorry for the Triple Post but poeple might find this interesting :

I tried another computer and to this day, i'm 100% sure that my cable is not accurate to do the update because I simply ( my girlfriend in fact ^^) disassemble it.
In my cable there are only 3 pin connexions made from db9 male to db9 female,
Yes you heard it, 3 wires only.
The VPxx Serial port is a DCE. This means that the VPxx acts as a modem and thanks to a documentation I found on the web, I was able to figure out that the VPxx serial input uses the following RS 232 signals (pins) in order to cummunicate with devices like terminals and/or computers for automation and updates :

- RX
- TX
- RTS
- CTS
- GND

This means that five pins needs to be soldered to make a complete connexion of the VPxx serial port (DCE) and my computer (DTE). My cable only have 3 pins connected bewteen the two ends! It might also explain why Tera Term couldnt send the right input to the DVDO to launche the update sequence through the Bootloader.
What I need now is a full diagram of the original serial cable that DVDO provides with the VPxx series in order to build this cable (can't find my original one).
I found some infos here and there but if someone could confirm a working diagram for a DB9 (M) > DB9 (F) (DTE - DCE STRAIGHT THROUGH CABLE)

Or if someone PLEASE provide me a diagram of the serial cable that he/her used on the VP to complete the updates? Any info about that is welcomed !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISCAN SERIAL PINOUT.png
Views:	101
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1040377   Click image for larger version

Name:	ISCAN SERIAL DIAGRAM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1040385  

Last edited by JoshuaLeDauphin; 11-05-2015 at 12:04 PM.
post #6823 of 6828 Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Sorry for the Triple Post but poeple might find this interesting :

I tried another computer and to this day, i'm 100% sure that my cable is not accurate to do the update because I simply ( my girlfriend in fact ^^) disassemble it.
In my cable there are only 3 pin connexions made from db9 male to db9 female,
Yes you heard it, 3 wires only.
The VPxx Serial port is a DCE. This means that the VPxx acts as a modem and thanks to a documentation I found on the web, I was able to figure out that the VPxx serial input uses the following RS 232 signals (pins) in order to cummunicate with devices like terminals and/or computers for automation and updates :

- RX
- TX
- RTS
- CTS
- GND

This means that five pins needs to be soldered to make a complete connexion of the VPxx serial port (DCE) and my computer (DTE). My cable only have 3 pins connected bewteen the two ends! It might also explain why Tera Term couldnt send the right input to the DVDO to launche the update sequence through the Bootloader.
What I need now is a full diagram of the original serial cable that DVDO provides with the VPxx series in order to build this cable (can't find my original one).
I found some infos here and there but if someone could confirm a working diagram for a DB9 (M) > DB9 (F) (DTE - DCE STRAIGHT THROUGH CABLE)

Or if someone PLEASE provide me a diagram of the serial cable that he/her used on the VP to complete the updates? Any info about that is welcomed !!!
Are you sure that some of the pins on your current cable are not jumpered at or right near the termination point of the cable, possibly creating those 5 points of connection that apparently are needed?

Also, I'm not clear, have you tried a new/fresh straight through serial cable and it has not worked? I ask as they can be purchased for as little as $5 USD.
post #6824 of 6828 Old 11-07-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Are you sure that some of the pins on your current cable are not jumpered at or right near the termination point of the cable, possibly creating those 5 points of connection that apparently are needed?

Also, I'm not clear, have you tried a new/fresh straight through serial cable and it has not worked? I ask as they can be purchased for as little as $5 USD.
The cable was bought brand new in a shop here. I didnt built that one myself. So yes the 3 pins are soldered right, i can confirm those:

RX, TX and GND.

I'm 100% sur that CTS and RTS are essential for the VPxx to communicate with a Terminal/computer (if the document provided above is reliable course!) I'll have to try to build it first, test the cable, and I'll tell you if that's okay.

No I didnt tried any other cable because it's hard to find it rapidly, and I don't want to waste more time waiting for another cable that probably won't work.. There are so much DB9 diagrams out there that I prefer to build the cable myself and tweak around until I have found the issue. Also this way allows me to understand my hardware and share info that MIGHT ( ^^ ) interest someone who's having the same issue.

However i'm looking around me if I could borrow a cable from a friend .. unfortunately it's old and used for specific tasks, not for consumers.. Therefore hard to find. Keenan can you strip out one of your cables for me ? One that works for an update ? Or anyone who has a working cable for updates ?

To simple check if your cable is communicating right: (if you don't want to strip out the original cable)

1 - Go to your Bios and check that port COM1 is set to 3F8 – 3FF / IRQ4

2 - On Windows = > Go to device manager > Check port COM1 > Baud Rate @ 57600 > Flow control set to "Hardware"

3 - Launch Tera Term Pro. Click on Setup > Terminal > Transmit must be set to "CR+LF"

4 - Click on Setup > Serial port and check that Baud rate is set to "57600" and Flow control is set to "Hardware"

5 - Turn on your VPxx > go to configuration > Serial Port Rate > set the value to 57600.

6 - Save confguration on the VPxx and turn it off. Let Tera Term opened.

At this point Tera Term, your Vpxx and your computer are all three ready to communicate properly.

7 - Connect your Serial cable to your PC and VPxx.

8 - Launch the Bootloader Menu on the VPxx by holding down the menu button while pluging in the AC adapter on the back of your VP.
This operation will launch a bootloader menu on Tera Term.

9 - You may think at this point that your cable is working and you're ready to go.. but for me my cable was lacking of some wiring to tansmit the update data. (example : you have to press "h" to launch the update sequence, but I can't do anything and my keyboard is fully working)
Best thing to do from here if you have an old firmware would be to press "h" and update your VP. If the update succeed please send me a diagram or a photo of the pin connexions of the working cable you used.
If you have an Updated VPxx, a simple Reset would be a great proof (that your cable is better that mine ! ^^). So just try the Reset Sequence and tell me if this works. If the data is properly sent from Tera Term then your VPxx should reset as expected.

Thanks a lot.
post #6825 of 6828 Old 11-07-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

I don't have my VP50 anymore and I would strip down a cable but I don't have any of them anymore either; they were binned along with the S-video cables I had.

Have you tried the USB method? I seem to recall there's specific USB cable/device that will do the job also.

What has Ken Nguyen at DVDO said?
post #6826 of 6828 Old 11-08-2015, 03:28 AM

Well Ken Nguyen didn't talked about any of this. Actually the converstation we had didnt really helped since he didnt entered is such details. He was advising me to use a straight through cable, to force the bootloader, and to press "h". All this was already tested and didnt worked so far so not really improving my situation here.
I'll stick with what i can find and i'll find a solution by myself ^^

No problem for the cable. I'll just try to connect RX TX RTS CTS GND. I hope it gives some results.
Also by searching the web i found that many straight through cable don't connect all 9 pins, some are 4 pin some other 5 etc .. it only depends on what your hardware needs to communicate.. That's my conclusion for now !

As for the USB i'm keeping that if i'm out of ideas but yeah there's some USBGear USBG-232 stuff that instantly work !
But it's more fun to experiment ! (some may find it's cancer though haha)
post #6827 of 6828 Old 11-17-2015, 04:24 PM

I finally build the cable and linked RX/TX/CTS/RTS and GND together.
The operation is a 100 % success!

I'm kind of proud right now because even the DVDO support couldnt bring me a correct answer.. It felt like I was talking japanese to them when I mentionned specific pins of a db9.. anyway it worked.

So if anyone is having a freeze during the VPxx update, it might be his cable!
All he got to do is to solder the following pins:

works like a charm !

Picture of the cable :

I hope this can help someone.. somewhere
Keenan and audiodane like this.

Last edited by JoshuaLeDauphin; 11-17-2015 at 04:35 PM.
post #6828 of 6828 Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I finally build the cable and linked RX/TX/CTS/RTS and GND together.
The operation is a 100 % success!

I'm kind of proud right now because even the DVDO support couldnt bring me a correct answer.. It felt like I was talking japanese to them when I mentionned specific pins of a db9.. anyway it worked.

So if anyone is having a freeze during the VPxx update, it might be his cable!
All he got to do is to solder the following pins:
Glad to hear you finally got it working!
audiodane and JoshuaLeDauphin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors