scalers: what they are and why do I need one, a brief overview - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
As you can see I am new here. I have one question. I have Sony's very first plasma monitor -42". I paid a whopping $8k for it. It has 2 vga outputs. I have DTV's newest HD DVR. It only has HDMI or RGB. I was going to just run a vga to RGB conversion cable. Is this OK or do you think I would need a video scaler for it? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 AM

anyone?
post #33 of 42 Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM

ahhhhhh c'mon. Someone has to know. -LOL!
post #34 of 42 Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheclip View Post

Hello,
As you can see I am new here. I have one question. I have Sony's very first plasma monitor -42". I paid a whopping $8k for it. It has 2 vga outputs. I have DTV's newest HD DVR. It only has HDMI or RGB. I was going to just run a vga to RGB conversion cable. Is this OK or do you think I would need a video scaler for it? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

That's easy. Go ahead and run the conversion cable (a whole lot cheaper than springing for a scaler), and if you are satisfied with the resulting images, then you don't need a scaler. If you are dissatisfied, then you may either want a scaler or a whole new display (any of which will have more-sophisticated video processors than your first-generation unit, Id venture to say).

Then let us know what it looks like.
post #35 of 42 Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Maybe I'm being a little contentious, but as I watch mostly BluRay discs at native 1080/24p into my AE2000 projector, what benefit (if any) would a scaler add to my picture quality?

I could use a scaler (but it would have to be cheap) to produce a 'resolution within a resolution' to allow me to 'fit' a 16:9 image into my (zoomed) 2.35:1 image for when viewing the intial menu and trailers. If anyone knows of such a device I'd like to look into it. It would be neat to allow a remote button press to change from 2.35:1 to 16:9 even if the 16:9 would be lower quality it wouldn't matter just for trailers and menus. When watching a whole 16:9 film, I'd just zoom back and use the full resolution of the PJ anyway.

Given the above, I either need a very cheap scaler/processor to achieve my instant AR change, or if there would be a worthwhile improvement to the main feature picture quality, then I'll have to look at the more upmarket models.....

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #36 of 42 Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Is Windows/MacOS base PC a much better option afterall?!

I find that the higher end video processors are so much more expensive compared to other products. One of the contributing factor for higher cost is the production line. As video processors are not usually produced in very high volume like other AV devices.

My question is, are they really worth what they are priced? just because they are rare? Can we easily replace them with a HTPC/MacMini?
post #37 of 42 Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Hello all, I can't seem to get much help posting in the scalers forum so I thought I would ask here.

I live in an apartment and they are not going to put up a high def dish. We only haave a 3LNB dish so I only get about 8 HD channels. Everything I watch is unfortunatly not on the HD channels.

Will a scale......scale my 480i signal from my DirecTV hr-21 to 1080i/P?

Its really a bummer watching SD on my Samsung 46" lcd.

Oh and when I say scale, I mean double or possibly more than double the resolution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dudeman
post #38 of 42 Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dudeman View Post

Hello all, I can't seem to get much help posting in the scalers forum so I thought I would ask here.

I live in an apartment and they are not going to put up a high def dish. We only haave a 3LNB dish so I only get about 8 HD channels. Everything I watch is unfortunatly not on the HD channels.

Will a scale......scale my 480i signal from my DirecTV hr-21 to 1080i/P?

Its really a bummer watching SD on my Samsung 46" lcd.

Oh and when I say scale, I mean double or possibly more than double the resolution.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dudeman

Dudeman,
Yes. By your description of your current video setup you could greatly benefit from a scaler. You would set the output of the scaler to the native resolution of your display so it is possible that your lines of resolution will more than double on certain content.

Since I do not see it addressed much in this forum I thought I would mention that scalers are creating information that is not there to match your display's resolution. These images will look much improved but will not look as detailed as say a Blu-ray since those pixels are actual and not interpolated. An HD source will have a higher resolution to start with and require less scaling and possibly none with a 1080P source. Even these images may be improved by correction of overscan to fit your display better so that less image is lost off the screen.

I hope this answered some of your questions. Since I am new to the forums I don't expect to have instant credibility but am a Lumagen dealer, so if I don't have the answer, I can get it.

Matt
post #39 of 42 Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Howdy.

I've been searching for a ranked list of scalars / a ranked list of devices to help choose where I should be doing my scaling. Does such a list exist? For instance, I have a Kuro 9G, PS3, and Yamaha 3900. Where to scale?

My google fu is weak today.

Thanks.
post #40 of 42 Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 PM

I have a Kuro 9g display hooked up to Verizon FiOS and an Oppo BDP-83. Those are my only sources for video. Right now both are routed through my Integra 7.8 receiver and then to the Kuro display all by via HDMI. I was thimking of ugrading to an Anthem d2v video/audio processor, but will I really notice a difference? The picture quality and audio quality are both already very good. Will a processor like the Anthem make a noticeable improvement in PQ or AQ?
post #41 of 42 Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Nice post, very helpful. Thanks.
post #42 of 42 Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM

I have a Lumagen XD running into a Pioneer 150FD 8th gen 60" Kuro. I thought that my picture could'nt get better, until I tested the Lumagen. I calibrated my display using Calman and an i1pro. Then I calibrated it with the XD's CMS and Greyscale and WOW!!! My STD content looks great and my HD content almost looks 3D. Even my wife saw the difference !!! I have 2 XD's factory sealed for sale check out the AV classified for info.
Attachment 155537

Attachment 155538

lumagen XD Pioneer150FD Greyscale.pdf 115.455078125k . file

Gamut with lumagen cms.pdf 91.8974609375k . file
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page