HQV: Vantage-HD processor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Video Processors > HQV: Vantage-HD processor
Thunder's Avatar Thunder 04:17 PM 09-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
1080p24sf is to maximixe film, NOT video. To maximixe video you want 1080p60.
Thanks for clarifying Mark. Few follow up questions:

1. Feeding a projector 1080p24sf, will it make a material difference to picture quality?

2. Do the scalers that output 1080p24sf do so automatically if its a film source and switch the output to 1080P60 when the source is video or does there have to some sorte of manual intervention?

3. There are only 3 video processors that output 1080p24sf, correct?

I'm not very technical as you can tell but this is all becoming a bit clearer to me. Video processor for the Ruby I plan on buying must include:
-two different 1080 outputs as noted above
-true 1080i deinterlacing
-better video deinterlacing

bejoro's Avatar bejoro 11:23 PM 09-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick
I don't think that would apply to most people. Algolith, Optima, NEC and Calibre will sell a lot of scalers to people who would rather have a Crystalio 2 or RadianceXT. I can justify spending $3k on a processor, but not $6k, and I think a lot of other people are likely to be in the same position. Buying on value, not just on quality; that's not unusual.
100% agree! That's also exactly my problem. The Vantage-HD would be almost perfect if I could use it with my CRT-projector or plasma display. But I will not spend $6k for a processor that meet my requirements!

It looks like I have to invest my money in a Lumagen VisionHDP, save the rest and wait for a video processor that meet my reqs for a reasonable price (max. $3k). I would like to watch my DVDs etc. now and not in one year or 2. So I have to swallow the bitter pill.
Good bye Vantage-HD. :rolleyes: ;)
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 02:42 AM 09-19-2005
Motion adaptive 1080i deinterlacing. All deinterlacing is true. But some TRUE stuff sucks.

Most of the time the output rate would be input memory dependent or one would have to manually intervene.

I do not know of any consumer processer available right now that would fulfill these requirements. Perhaps you might know of one?
madshi's Avatar madshi 02:45 AM 09-19-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Motion adaptive 1080i deinterlacing. All deinterlacing is true. But some TRUE stuff sucks.

Most of the time the output rate would be input memory dependent or one would have to manually intervene.

I do not know of any consumer processer available right now that would fulfill these requirements. Perhaps you might know of one?
I'm not sure whether I fully understand what you mean, but I think the Crystalio II will do all what you've asked for. Of course it's expensive.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 02:51 AM 09-19-2005
And most of the HT market would never spend $3K on a processor either. Most here will only spend say $2000. And there are very very few here anyway. Buy hey money is burning a hole in my pocket and I've gotta to spend it to make my HT better. Or do you wait untill a $3K box arrives that does what you need.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 02:54 AM 09-19-2005
Who knows when the Crystalio II will be available. It isn't now. The Lumagen Radiance should do all of his too. But it in't available yet either.
timbrooksbank's Avatar timbrooksbank 03:22 AM 09-19-2005
This is likely to be my final post here for now, since most of the questions and arguments seem to be going around in circles. However I just wanted to clarify a few points. First though I'd like to qualify my answers by explaining that I am an extremely experienced video equipment design engineer with nearly 20 years experience of monitor, display, display electronics and image processing design, so hopefully I know what I'm on about!

1. Vantage-HD does allow per-pixel mapping since it supports all the native display resolutions we could find for current equipment. Contrary to the belief of some, custom output programming is not needed to do this, only the ability to correctly select the output resolution. In fact in many cases custom output programming is actually degrading to the signal since if the custom output field rate is not exactly correct, which is unlikely due to the inherent limitation of the accuracy of the internal PLL generating the pixel clock in any programmable system (our Pro models included), customising output timings invariably leads to frame rate conversion due to inaccuracies in the output frame rate.

We spend a lot of effort getting our multitude of output modes correct - use them, they work very well.

2. Vantage-HD can drive all known current display technologies and has pre-defined optimized modes for each. It can drive plasmas, CRT, LCD, DLP, LCOS and DILA. To suggest it cannot drive plasma is silly - we were showing plasma demos at CEDIA and the picture improvement was amazing.

3. No projector runs at 24Hz, the flicker would drive you nuts. At present HDMI does not support 48Hz or 72Hz. If we ran out at 24Hz, we'd leave you open to the vaguaries of your display device to perform the frame rate conversion and possible 3:2 conversion. I've been a display designer and can tell you that I've never yet found a large-screen plasma or LCD panel which runs internally at anything other than 50Hz, 60Hz or a whole multiple of that. CRTs are different, but not digital display devices.

Our cadence correction algorithms work great, so let Vantage-HD run them, rather than hoping your display might just convert 24Hz to 72Hz when it most probably will do a rather nasty job of converting it to 60Hz.

4. VERY IMPORTANT

What you guys should really be getting worked up about is the forthcoming requirement for you to all use HDMI due to the HMDI-HDCP encryption on Blu-ray and HD-DVD devices. This is far more serious as an industry issue since: the licensing rules mandate that HDMI-HDCP inputs only come out as HDMI-HDCP outputs.

Why is this so serious? Let me explain:

i) HMDI is only an 8-bit system whereas most video processors are 10-bit in and out (Vantage-HD is 16-bit internally to ensure rounding errors don't occur during data processing). So no analog outputs means loss of detail, quantization errors, inability to do very fine colour temperature correction (so user programmable colour correction becomes pointless), inability to do very fine gamma correction (so user programmable gamma correction also becomes pointless). Also, HDMI displays dictate the supported output mode to their driving device, so programmable output modes become irrelevant, they are also irrelevant because HDMI does not use H & V syncs anyway, it uses strictly defined modes with embedded data enable (blanking) signals so does not lend itself to user-programmability whatsoever.

ii) HDMI uses a poor quality connector with no positive locking mechanism and basic contacts which tend to make very bad contact with time, generating noise, data errors and loss of connection.

iii) Most seriously - HDMI rules mandate that the audio be passed through as HDMI too. But, they also mandate that the number of audio channels passed be dictated by the display device. Oops. Did someone screw up here? Perhaps - since connecting a plasma with 2 channel audio will, if the HDMI rules are adhered to, mandate that your new Blu-ray or HD-DVD player only outputs 2-channel audio. Yes, I know lots of you will say I am wrong, but go read the rules, I'm right, and I'm rightly worried about this.

iv) HDMI audio is presently limited to 96KHz whereas normal SPDIF or Toslink (optical) audio is 192KHz, so HDMI audio has to be more heavily compressed, or use fewer bits - hence lower audio quality.

v) There is NO option of using HDMI audio into a processor such as Vanatage-HD then using SPDIF/Toslink out since the HDMI/HDCP rules mandate that we can be fined up to $8M if we give you that very useful feature.

So really what I am trying to say is that you home theater guys have far more to worry about than whether Vantage-HD has BNCs or an SVGA connector since the people driving the rules behind all the new source equipment due to come to market are about to force you to use an interconnection system whose video and audio capabilities are a backwards step from where you are now. These are the people who you really need to campaign against since they are the ones who are about to destroy all flexibility within your home theater systems.

P.S. That's all I'm going to say on this, I won't enter into discussions since as an HDMI and HDCP licencee I am very limited by their terms as to what I can say.
madshi's Avatar madshi 04:15 AM 09-19-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrooksbank
I've been a display designer and can tell you that I've never yet found a large-screen plasma or LCD panel which runs internally at anything other than 50Hz, 60Hz or a whole multiple of that.
Have you tried the newer Pioneer plasmas? They claim to be able to run 72Hz internally (optionally). This is advertised as "Advanced Pure Cinema".
glenncol's Avatar glenncol 06:00 AM 09-19-2005
Quote:
This is likely to be my final post here for now, since most of the questions and arguments seem to be going around in circles. However I just wanted to clarify a few points. First though I'd like to qualify my answers by explaining that I am an extremely experienced video equipment design engineer with nearly 20 years experience of monitor, display, display electronics and image processing design, so hopefully I know what I'm on about!

1. Vantage-HD does allow per-pixel mapping since it supports all the native display resolutions we could find for current equipment. Contrary to the belief of some, custom output programming is not needed to do this, only the ability to correctly select the output resolution. In fact in many cases custom output programming is actually degrading to the signal since if the custom output field rate is not exactly correct, which is unlikely due to the inherent limitation of the accuracy of the internal PLL generating the pixel clock in any programmable system (our Pro models included), customising output timings invariably leads to frame rate conversion due to inaccuracies in the output frame rate.

We spend a lot of effort getting our multitude of output modes correct - use them, they work very well.

2. Vantage-HD can drive all known current display technologies and has pre-defined optimized modes for each. It can drive plasmas, CRT, LCD, DLP, LCOS and DILA. To suggest it cannot drive plasma is silly - we were showing plasma demos at CEDIA and the picture improvement was amazing.

3. No projector runs at 24Hz, the flicker would drive you nuts. At present HDMI does not support 48Hz or 72Hz. If we ran out at 24Hz, we'd leave you open to the vaguaries of your display device to perform the frame rate conversion and possible 3:2 conversion. I've been a display designer and can tell you that I've never yet found a large-screen plasma or LCD panel which runs internally at anything other than 50Hz, 60Hz or a whole multiple of that. CRTs are different, but not digital display devices.

Our cadence correction algorithms work great, so let Vantage-HD run them, rather than hoping your display might just convert 24Hz to 72Hz when it most probably will do a rather nasty job of converting it to 60Hz.

4. VERY IMPORTANT

What you guys should really be getting worked up about is the forthcoming requirement for you to all use HDMI due to the HMDI-HDCP encryption on Blu-ray and HD-DVD devices. This is far more serious as an industry issue since: the licensing rules mandate that HDMI-HDCP inputs only come out as HDMI-HDCP outputs.

Why is this so serious? Let me explain:

i) HMDI is only an 8-bit system whereas most video processors are 10-bit in and out (Vantage-HD is 16-bit internally to ensure rounding errors don't occur during data processing). So no analog outputs means loss of detail, quantization errors, inability to do very fine colour temperature correction (so user programmable colour correction becomes pointless), inability to do very fine gamma correction (so user programmable gamma correction also becomes pointless). Also, HDMI displays dictate the supported output mode to their driving device, so programmable output modes become irrelevant, they are also irrelevant because HDMI does not use H & V syncs anyway, it uses strictly defined modes with embedded data enable (blanking) signals so does not lend itself to user-programmability whatsoever.

ii) HDMI uses a poor quality connector with no positive locking mechanism and basic contacts which tend to make very bad contact with time, generating noise, data errors and loss of connection.

iii) Most seriously - HDMI rules mandate that the audio be passed through as HDMI too. But, they also mandate that the number of audio channels passed be dictated by the display device. Oops. Did someone screw up here? Perhaps - since connecting a plasma with 2 channel audio will, if the HDMI rules are adhered to, mandate that your new Blu-ray or HD-DVD player only outputs 2-channel audio. Yes, I know lots of you will say I am wrong, but go read the rules, I'm right, and I'm rightly worried about this.

iv) HDMI audio is presently limited to 96KHz whereas normal SPDIF or Toslink (optical) audio is 192KHz, so HDMI audio has to be more heavily compressed, or use fewer bits - hence lower audio quality.

v) There is NO option of using HDMI audio into a processor such as Vanatage-HD then using SPDIF/Toslink out since the HDMI/HDCP rules mandate that we can be fined up to $8M if we give you that very useful feature.

So really what I am trying to say is that you home theater guys have far more to worry about than whether Vantage-HD has BNCs or an SVGA connector since the people driving the rules behind all the new source equipment due to come to market are about to force you to use an interconnection system whose video and audio capabilities are a backwards step from where you are now. These are the people who you really need to campaign against since they are the ones who are about to destroy all flexibility within your home theater systems.

P.S. That's all I'm going to say on this, I won't enter into discussions since as an HDMI and HDCP licencee I am very limited by their terms as to what I can say.
Hi Tim

I personally would like to thank you for your most informative and honest postings and so far nothing that has been said would turn me off your product
JeffY's Avatar JeffY 06:12 AM 09-19-2005
Quote:

Some displays require qurky resolutions in order to bypass the internal scaler for example 1360x768 on Samsung LCD TV's. Custom resolutions simply gives you more options.

Quote:
CRT do require custom resultions to make the most of them.

Quote:
Flicker isn't an issue for most display devices these days, if you could feed 24Hz to a LCD or DLP display they wouldn't flicker. 48Hz does work over HDMI because I've tested it. Fortunately display devices have moved on in the last few years, being able to run 50 and 60Hz natively is now quite common and there are many displays that will support 48 or 72Hz, for example many DLP's support 48Hz.
Quote:

I'll take your word for it but there is no way it can work as well as using the correct refresh rate for the job.
Quote:
4. VERY IMPORTANT

If HDCP ever gets in the way we will simply bypass it as we do today. :D
bejoro's Avatar bejoro 06:53 AM 09-19-2005
Thanks Jeffy! Exactly the point! Without custom res no perfect picture on many CRT-proj., plasmas and LCD displays.

I can imagine that Calibre has very much experience with the pro market, where non-standard behaviour of products will not be accepted. Obviously less experience with the consumer market and the problems with so many different consumer products and their different behaviour.

It is always funny to hear from the industry's marketing statements what we, the customers need. I thought always it should be an opportunity to hear directly from the customer what he needs and wants. This opportunity was seized e.g. by DVDO, Lumagen and other video processor manufacturers by reading, discussing and understanding the requirements of the users in this and other forums. They have improved their products significantly step by step and I am sure this process would have lasted longer without those experienced forum-members.

Sorry, if this is off-topic.
It just annoys me, if a manufacturer tells me what I have to need. :confused: :)

For me, Tim's decision is o.k. and I can buy another VP. But don't tell me I can drive my CRT proj. or plasma perfectly without custom res, if I tried everything to do that.
RichB's Avatar RichB 07:17 AM 09-19-2005
Quote:
1. Vantage-HD does allow per-pixel mapping since it supports all the native display resolutions we could find for current equipment. Contrary to the belief of some, custom output programming is not needed to do this, only the ability to correctly select the output resolution. In fact in many cases custom output programming is actually degrading to the signal since if the custom output field rate is not exactly correct, which is unlikely due to the inherent limitation of the accuracy of the internal PLL generating the pixel clock in any programmable system (our Pro models included), customizing output timings invariably leads to frame rate conversion due to inaccuracies in the output frame rate.

No Problem. Just provide a full money back guarantee (including shipping) for those users that cannot get a full 1:1 locked in.

-- Rich
stlblufan's Avatar stlblufan 07:48 AM 09-19-2005
I'll defer commenting on the output quality of the Vantage-HD until I've seen it in action. I will say this, though: for a high-end home theater product, it sure is ugly! And I wonder why it is nearly 2" taller than (more than double the height of) the DragonFly?
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:23 AM 09-19-2005
You guys happy about driving another manufacturer from the forum?

Tim. You really shouldn't go or become angry. You obviously know a lot and most of us are here to learn. Any of us including you can be wrong. I've made a career of it.

So please stay and continue to enter into dialog. We will definitely learn and perhaps you might too as well as to better gauge what our market, misguided be it or not, apparently wants.

Me? I am a 9 inch CRT guy. Give me 1080p 60 and 1080p 48 or 72. There will be offshore devices to allow me to use that HDCP-HDMI into the RGBHV on my projector. No copying anything by me, just want to use my projector and, oh yeah, get the audio into my processor. Thanks for the heads up. Obviously the HDMI folks will be fixing that. Perhaps by the audio being determined by the device the HDMI connector is being plugged into instead of the display, i.e., an HDMI licensed receiver or surround sound processor.

So please stay and engage. Most of us are civilized and will try to make you welcome and be appreciative of your presence. Thanks
madshi's Avatar madshi 08:46 AM 09-19-2005
Mark, thanks for your words. Yes, I do very much appreciate Tim posting here and I don't want him to go away. I want him to stay...

.. and to hopefully accept some of our suggestions/requests.
bejoro's Avatar bejoro 09:43 AM 09-19-2005
In my opinion such a submissiveness is not necessary.

Tim is a very professional manager and he will decide independently whether his product can profit from our suggestions or not.

What some of us require is not a feature here for my 9" CRT or a feature there to get my plasma XYZ running. We ask for a general feature that will solve a lot of problems caused by non-standard behaviour of many consumer products, CRT proj., LCDs, plasmas, DLP and LCD proj. etc. etc. etc.

All the other video processor manufacturer learned this very soon (even Faroudja ;)) and provided custom res. and timings. And they got it done very well, without the problems Tim mentioned.

If Tim would leave the forum, I couldn't believe he would, he is to smart for a reaction like that, he would miss a great opportunity to promote his product. Maybe some time he will realize, that we are not crazy home theater freaks with freaky ideas but also like him, experienced users and customers, but with a different perspective than a manufacturer.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 09:52 AM 09-19-2005
Somebody supply Bernhard, definitely an alpha dog, with a big soft club and a plane ticket to England. :) Get it your way or likely drive somebody we need here away. Geeez.
bejoro's Avatar bejoro 10:02 AM 09-19-2005
:D :D :D
bejoro's Avatar bejoro 10:19 AM 09-19-2005
:D

o.k. o.k. o.k. Message understood! :)
bejoro's Avatar bejoro 10:20 AM 09-19-2005
:D

ok ok ok
AndreYew's Avatar AndreYew 12:26 PM 09-19-2005
Tim, thanks for your thoughtful post. I have some comments on the audio parts that I hope aren't OT for this thread.

Quote:
While the rules may dictate this, this operation is so broken by de facto standards that I think someone will fix it or have some reasonable workaround, so I'm not going to worry too much about this. This does bring up an issue (that the standard may have addressed, but I haven't read it) which is that HDMI devices may need dual output (one for the display device and one for the surround prepro) or some sort of routing capability.

Quote:
192 kHz is barely in use and is only for 2 channels for DVD-A. I'm not sure how many channels of 192/24 HD-DVD or BD will support, so it may not be an especially important issue. Some would also question the audible advantages of 192, especially for the movie industry which doesn't record in 192. If 192 were actually adopted, there would be far worse issues than the lack of transmission standards since the required DSP in consumer devices would have to far more than double in capability.

192 can only be supported through S/PDIF for 2 channels and isn't too widespread either.

Quote:
I don't think this is an important issue, because the writing's on the wall that all surround prepros must have HDMI/HDCP to work well with HD-DVD/BD. For example, Dolby Digital Plus will be decoded inside players and encrypted PCM transmitted out using HDMI. Because of software piracy, I don't think we're going to see S/PDIF or any kind of unencrypted PCM in future standards.

--Andre
gandley's Avatar gandley 01:26 PM 09-19-2005
"i) HMDI is only an 8-bit system"

except HDMI is not limited to 8-bits, DVI is limited to 8 bits. HDMI supports 12bits max i think but def 10bit. That was one of the good things about HDMI.
JeffY's Avatar JeffY 01:38 PM 09-19-2005
Sort of, HDMI supports 8 bit RGB (like DVI) or 12 bit 4-2-2 component. I wouldn't exactly call that an improvement.
gandley's Avatar gandley 01:50 PM 09-19-2005
But its not limited to 8bits, and there are those who think it is an improment so each to there own on that one.
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering 02:10 PM 09-19-2005
Oh there is a very noticeable improvement if you have the display to take advantage of it. Most noticeable is the lack of banding or contouring in the image that results from the higher bit processing. Of course this also requires 10 bit or higher video processing end to end, which only a handful of chips do. But the HQV is one of them.
madshi's Avatar madshi 02:19 PM 09-19-2005
Since DVD and BD and HD-DVD are AFAIK all encoded in YCbCr 4:2:0, a transport via HDMI with 4:2:2 should be just fine, so we can use the 10bit or 12bit HDMI modes. At least that's how I understand it. Btw, the soon to come Pioneer DV-79AVi is said to support unprocessed 480i/576i with 10bit over HDMI 1.1 (directly from the MPEG decoder to HDMI). Sounds like a perfect fit for a video processor to me. Bye bye, expensive SDI-Mods.

Here are some more infos about supported HDMI formats:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=578801

P.S: Kris, when will you pull the DV-79AVi to the test bench? :)
welwynnick's Avatar welwynnick 02:42 PM 09-19-2005
Quote:
Now, I've read the HDMI specs, and I still don't get all of it, so I may need to be steered in the right direction here, but isn't the solution to cascade the HDMI connections like this:

Blu-Ray Player => Audio Processor => Video Processor => Display :)

instead of this:

Blu-Ray Player => Video Processor => Audio Processor => Display :(

That would mean that the audio processor or amp will get the opportunity to process everything. Of course it means you need a good processor that does do lip sync, and doesn't do any video processing. The downside is that it may ultimately be the display as the end of the chain that limits that cascaded protocols to stereo audio, but is that really likely?

Just a thought, Nick
Kris Deering's Avatar Kris Deering 03:02 PM 09-19-2005
Quote:
P.S: Kris, when will you pull the DV-79AVi to the test bench?
As soon as Pioneer puts one on my doorstep. Still waiting patiently.
stlblufan's Avatar stlblufan 03:51 PM 09-19-2005
With my cable box, a Scientific Atlantic 8300HD, connecting a display via HDMI limits the audio output of the 8300HD to 2.0 regardless of the audio capabilities of that display -- even if you use a separate coax or TOSLINK connection, you are limited to 2.0. The only way to defeat this is to use component connections or HDMI --> DVI --> HDMI. I assume that this is just bad implementation by Pioneer (they make the Passport software for my box), but one thing is clear: manufacturers are going to screw it up.
donb1948's Avatar donb1948 05:54 PM 09-19-2005
I don't understand half the things you folks on this thread discuss but I'm hoping someone can give me a simply response on this question. The specs for the new HP mdXX80 dlp RPTVs state under video compatibility that "1080p supported at 24 and 30 frames per second" over the composite, HDMI and VGA inputs. If I bought a Vantage-HD box would I be able to feed this set what it wants to eat over HDMI (i.e., will it output 1080p at 24 and/or 30 frames per second)? If the answer is "No,", would you also explain why? Thanks.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop