It's November where's my Dragonfly?? - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 179 Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 773
recently I tested a Gefen 6x2 HDMI switch

bottom line it took 8-10 seconds or longer to switch sources which is unacceptable: I tested popular sources such as a Dish 942, HD Tivo, H20, JVC HM-DH5U into various Sharp LCD displays

Gefen told me I could shorten the interval by changing a dip switch setting but Gefen would not be responsible for any damage to my audio system (this only reduced switch times to 8 seconds according to Ken Ross)

I returned the Gefen switcher

I recently upgraded my system to a Key Digital 8x4 component video switcher (from an 8x3) lighting fast audio/video broadcast quality switching: no HDCP: no handshakes: it just works every time

this copy protection business is killing all the potential advances in video processing that should be available to us :mad:

ymmv

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 179 Old 02-21-2006, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
kschmit2,

not really sure which magazine that is. If you're talking about www.hometheater.co.il - that is a non commercial site (it has no advertising whatsoever). If you're talking about "secrets..." it's far from being mine, I occasionally contribute reviews and articles to it, but I receive no commercial compensation for the articles.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #93 of 179 Old 02-21-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I though there was a print version of the Israeli "mag" as well :)

Cheers,
Kai
post #94 of 179 Old 02-21-2006, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

kschmit2,

Nope. We've been offered something, but we don't have the luxury of time to actually go through with it, I'm afraid...

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #95 of 179 Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How 'bout an english version? :)
post #96 of 179 Old 02-22-2006, 04:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

LOL,

AVS and Secrets do the job very nicely :)

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #97 of 179 Old 03-05-2006, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just noticed the manual for the beta Dragonfly is up on Algolith's site. The UI looks very much like the Vantage HD/NEC TheaterSync/Mini Teranex. Geez, how many engineers does it take to change a couple of logos? :)
post #98 of 179 Old 03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wilson:

Pretty scary how similar the menu's are for Dragon Fly and Theatersync
post #99 of 179 Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd still prefer the Dragonfly/Vantage HD to TheaterSync because the TS has to be sent in to do firmware upgrades.
post #100 of 179 Old 03-05-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjchan
I just noticed the manual for the beta Dragonfly is up on Algolith's site. The UI looks very much like the Vantage HD/NEC TheaterSync/Mini Teranex. Geez, how many engineers does it take to change a couple of logos? :)
geez they all really do look like a clone of each other. can I just buy a reference box from SO ? :rolleyes:

on a brighter side, DF looks to have the best output formats so far: far more output resolutions than the other 2, among which, 1080p24 and 1080p24sf. qualia guys should be happy. (Although oddly enough, no 852x480, the most common SD plasma resolution. "Yea u get it right, it's not for you poor guys!" :( )
post #101 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjchan
I'd still prefer the Dragonfly/Vantage HD to TheaterSync because the TS has to be sent in to do firmware upgrades.
Wilson:

Was there some change to the Theatersync?

The brochure and manual say all updates are available vis USB?
post #102 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Before they sent someone out, NEC had suggested that I send mine in for a firmware upgrade. The field technician mentioned something about the microprocessor requires a special cable to upgrade but the HQV firmware can be upgraded via ethernet. Maybe the uP upgrade is rare and can be done only through the special cable.
post #103 of 179 Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Will the Dragon Fly when available or similar video processors now availabe improve color brillance of image from your projector. I am wondering if it will add pop to the image or just improve the clarity and sharpness of the image. Thanks Greg
post #104 of 179 Old 03-09-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young
Will the Dragon Fly when available or similar video processors now availabe improve color brillance of image from your projector. I am wondering if it will add pop to the image or just improve the clarity and sharpness of the image. Thanks Greg
I went from a (JVC) Faroudja 1010 to the Vantage and, yes, I noticed a great improvement in color.

Also very noticeable was an immediate reduction in the slight green tinge that the HD2K used to show in some midtones (which I am now suspecting was introduced or exacerbated by the 1010).

I am about to recalibrate the HD2K to the Vantage to make the most of it. The calibration I did before was more basic.

I can't speak for the other brands that are coming, but the Vantage gave me far better PQ and color.
post #105 of 179 Old 04-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I e-mailed Algolith about the Dragonfly on Wednesday they responded by say the Dragonfly is now being sent out to dealers to show their customers. I contacted the good people at AV SCIENCE who are going to look into it. Greg
post #106 of 179 Old 04-21-2006, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

This is great news. Fwiw, I like the support that I've seen for the Mosquito and the company has been responsive to my e-mails. My HDMI Mosquito has been rock solid.

I read over the DF manual and I didn't see anything that specifically said that the component inputs would not be transcoded to HDMI outputs. Can someone verify that transcoding of component including HD is possible?

I like the fact that it includes 1080p24sf output format for the Qualia users, but it's too bad that the "Format" button doesn't add 1080p60 as one of the standard resolutions as us HD2K users can only use this format and the Dragonfly has only OSD. To be honest I don't know why the Format button can't cycle through all the output resolutions as it's only needed on those rare events when synch is lost and the OSD therefore will not work.

I also like that the DF and Mosquito can use the same remote. The two make a nice package. The only downside I can see is that the Mosquito doesn't perform SPDIF/Toslink audio switching so this reduces it's effectiveness as far as using it as a mux/switch into the DF. Given the long audio delay in the DF, an additional ouboard audio switch will be needed for users with a lot of sources...
post #107 of 179 Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Dear Algolith,

Can you please advise us pre-order AVS Dragonfly customers where are our units. While you are at it, what is the ETA status of the SDI module.

Your website says shipping to dealers, but our dealer isn't in the know.

Thank you,

Dennis
post #108 of 179 Old 04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
I like the fact that it includes 1080p24sf output format for the Qualia users, but it's too bad that the "Format" button doesn't add 1080p60 as one of the standard resolutions as us HD2K users can only use this format and the Dragonfly has only OSD. To be honest I don't know why the Format button can't cycle through all the output resolutions as it's only needed on those rare events when synch is lost and the OSD therefore will not work.
Mark, as a fellow HD2K and someone who has had a deposit with Algolith early on & transferred over by Jason many moons ago, I'm wondering what the disconnect is here. Assumably it's not an issue supprting p60 itself?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #109 of 179 Old 04-26-2006, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht
Mark, as a fellow HD2K and someone who has had a deposit with Algolith early on & transferred over by Jason many moons ago, I'm wondering what the disconnect is here. Assumably it's not an issue supprting p60 itself?
Hi Tim,

I have no idea what the schedule slip issue is. It could simply have been overcommitment across multiple products that have added together to create a slip for the DF. As an engineer in the consumer electronics business, I've personally run into this sort of thing many times and it's never a fun thing to go through. Far be it from me to bitch about someone else's slipped scheudule lol. Fwiw, I've found that the folks at Algolith have always been great to deal which is why I haven't canceled my order. If we look at the overall picture though, Algolith isn't that far behind the other HQV based scalers. It's just that we had the expectation that it would ship well ahead of the others. It doesn't sound as though we have much longer to wait and I can't wait to see what it does to the image of our HD2K's :)
post #110 of 179 Old 04-26-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Now that Dragonfly is going to be out, I hope they correct the black/white crush problem on their SDI adapter otherwise people with SDI players are out of luck.

Vinod
post #111 of 179 Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
MC6

Have anyone actually receive their dragonfly yet?
post #112 of 179 Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 769
The Dragonfly is starting to ship to dealers for demoing to end users. The units can not be sold. There is another firmware update underway and they want to ship customers units with the update. So I think we are about 3 weeks or so out.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #113 of 179 Old 04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
MC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
The Dragonfly is starting to ship to dealers for demoing to end users. The units can not be sold. There is another firmware update underway and they want to ship customers units with the update. So I think we are about 3 weeks or so out.
Thanks for the info

Mike
post #114 of 179 Old 05-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
boy...this is starting to get exciting!
post #115 of 179 Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Blues In Thirds

In the DF manual, they listed some of the things they are working on. I took this straight from their web page. Looks like they're starting up a discussion group also.
Javry

Dragonfly version 1.01 is a preliminary release of Algolith's Home Theater Processor Scalor, issued for beta testing purposes. It has known problems and functions to be implemented. The next release will solve these gaps. Please read the present document carefully.

Auto Repeat Unstable
When using the arrow keys on the remote control, do not hold the key down to increment a value. This may cause the Dragonfly to freeze.

Audio Delay automatically set
You cannot add or remove audio delay to compensate for audio delay introduced externally to the Dragonfly.

Firmware upgrade not functionnal
In the beta version of Dragonfly, firmware update is not fully functional.

HDMI not fully functionnal
In the beta version of Dragonfly, HDMI is not fully functionnal.
English language only. In the beta version of Dragonfly, english is the only language supported.

OSD Inconsistency
You might find some inconsistencies in the way the On Screen Display menu (OSD) is operated by the remote control.
post #116 of 179 Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry
Firmware upgrade not functionnal
In the beta version of Dragonfly, firmware update is not fully functional.
I can see why Algolith would want to wait until this feature gets corrected before they start shipping. :D
post #117 of 179 Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I like the fact that it includes 1080p24sf output format for the Qualia users, but it's too bad that the "Format" button doesn't add 1080p60 as one of the standard resolutions as us HD2K users can only use this format and the Dragonfly has only OSD.
Mark,

This was the specific passage I was referring too. Aside from beta stage firmware issues (expected), I am hoping there are no real HD2K incompatibilities. The proof will be in the processing :)

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #118 of 179 Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

From the manual it will support 1080p60 and hopefully this timing will work with the HD2K. The "format" button is simply a quick way to force a new resolution without having to go navigate the OSD. Since 1080p60 isn't supported (yet anyway) via the "format" button us HD2K users will simply have to get it preconfigured by Algolith or use another display. Luckily I have a 21" LCD Samsung that will support 1080p60 and it also autosync's to other common standards so I can use that to navigate the OSD and get the Dragonfly configured.

Fwiw, I went back and looked at the original powerbuy that some of us jumped into and for folks like me who bought the bundle (DF + Mosquito) the DF is a great deal. I'm going to hang in there and wait for the DF :)
post #119 of 179 Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:
..................................Fwiw, I went back and looked at the original powerbuy that some of us jumped into and for folks like me who bought the bundle (DF + Mosquito) the DF is a great deal. I'm going to hang in there and wait for the DF :)
ditto here:>)
post #120 of 179 Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
From the manual it will support 1080p60 and hopefully this timing will work with the HD2K. The "format" button is simply a quick way to force a new resolution without having to go navigate the OSD. Since 1080p60 isn't supported (yet anyway) via the "format" button us HD2K users will simply have to get it preconfigured by Algolith or use another display. Luckily I have a 21" LCD Samsung that will support 1080p60 and it also autosync's to other common standards so I can use that to navigate the OSD and get the Dragonfly configured.

Fwiw, I went back and looked at the original powerbuy that some of us jumped into and for folks like me who bought the bundle (DF + Mosquito) the DF is a great deal. I'm going to hang in there and wait for the DF :)
Glad I went with the Vantage HD, then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page