Review of ABT102 Precision Deinterlacing Card for DVDO iScan VP30 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 432 Old 05-19-2006, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNaval View Post

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong: I don't notice any difference in the picture quality before and after installing the ABT102. I'm testing with a DVD player at 480i using the component input and while playing one of my DVDs.

Does the 102 card provide better resolution overall or does it only help with displaying scenes that contain motion of some sort, in better resloution?

The DVD that they send along with the 102 card does show the demo loop quite well and it seems the resolution is true 720P. However, while playing one of my dvds, I don't notice any difference. Please tell me that I'm doing something wrong. Yes, I did verify that it's installed properly - ABT102 appears next to the v1.07 in the info screen and I've confirmed the additonal options found under deinterlacing.

...Rohit

What kind of DVD player do you have and what is the connection to the VP30? Are you sure the DVD player is in fact outputting 480i? Hit info on the VP30 remote to verify that is what is being seen.

I love the smell of vapor in the morning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 432 Old 05-19-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I do not have much experience with the ABT102. BUT the old Sil504 chip it replaced does a very good job of deinterlacing FILM (480i to 480p). The Sil504 does not do as good of job deinterlacing video (480i to 480p), ok let me restate that, as a video deinterlacer it sucks.. The big improvement accomplished by the ABT 102 is with respect to improving the crappy video deinterlacing of the Sil 504. Watch some SD TV and marvel at how much better the video deinterlacing is. Film, I doubt, is improved very much. The scaling in the VP30 is not touched by the new chip.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #93 of 432 Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
It also improves on diagonal line handling as well, correct?

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #94 of 432 Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sounds nice, might be worth it for an upgrade. Any improvements with LaserDisc? I see at least a couple of errors in just about every movie with the 504.

Tony!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/
post #95 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

It also improves on diagonal line handling as well, correct?

Yes, but this feature is only needed/useful/used for video content. It just doesn't make any sense for film content.
post #96 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 01:39 AM

Many of us were big SiI504 fans for film deinterlacing, however it should be noted that this chip was very much aimed at the 'NTSC' market and not the 'PAL' market, where it's performance (2:2) was not quite as good as when used in 'NTSC'. 'PAL' users will therefore see many additional benefits in addition to the better deinterlacing. This new solution covers ALL the bases (PAL, NTSC, multiple cadence detection, film and video) for SD where many of the 'older' solutions did not.
post #97 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can you give some examples of what is in video an how can you tell it is video?

Thanks

TWD
post #98 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 09:27 AM

I could've been sitting here with my ABT-102 now, had it not been for the slow postal service in this country. So close, still so far away...

Anyway, that's not why I called.

Lately I've been thinking about this deinterlacing stuff, and taken more note of it. And found that I'm quite happy with the performance of the VP30 as-is (PAL SD material from my digital cable box).
The only times I really notice jaggies is in soccer games. The white lines there have a tendency to become jagged. There are a very few other situations as well, but really not many.

And - is it just me, or did the deinterlacing get a tad better when going from firmware 1.00 to 1.07, even without the ABT-102 card? Maybe it's just placebo, or wishful thinking, or perhaps I set a few settings slightly differently than before?

I can't really see much stair stepping, combing or jaggies now at all. Like right now, there was a guy on TV with a pinstriped suit (tan suit w/black stripes), and none of the lines were jagged or had steps.

Most all diagonal lines or edges that I see look nice and smooth.

So in light of this; will the ABT-102 card improve the overall image quality even though I don't really see the problems of deinterlacing now? Except in the mentioned case of soccer games and a few other situations?
Does it do anything else that would cause improved image quality? Since people are raving about 'almost HD quality', I mean.

All I want is perfection. Is that so much to ask?
post #99 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Yes, but this feature is only needed/useful/used for video content. It just doesn't make any sense for film content.

Doh. I need to continue learning

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #100 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the right thing... but here it goes: It seems for poorly mastered video DVDs (both NTSC and PAL), the ABT102 seems to introduce a little bit more mosquito noise. Without the card I do remember seeing the noise also. With the ABT102 it just seems a bit more. Does any one see something similar ?

With a clean source, the image has improved quite a bit with the video having a 3D look (used to be quite flat).

(maybe it's just because the noise was previously masked in the deinterlacing .. ? )
post #101 of 432 Old 05-20-2006, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that the ABT102 seems to react to noise differently than the Sil504. I have a recorded broadcast that's very noisy, and the noise becomes more prominent and pulses more with ABT102 than the Sil504. I wonder if it's better to apply noise reduction before or after deinterlacing in this case (eg. using a Mosquito). Also, I wonder how noise affects the deinterlacing, since the random noise may make it more difficult to figure out correlations between fields.

--Andre
post #102 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 View Post

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the right thing... but here it goes: It seems for poorly mastered video DVDs (both NTSC and PAL), the ABT102 seems to introduce a little bit more mosquito noise. Without the card I do remember seeing the noise also. With the ABT102 it just seems a bit more. Does any one see something similar ?

With a clean source, the image has improved quite a bit with the video having a 3D look (used to be quite flat).

(maybe it's just because the noise was previously masked in the deinterlacing .. ? )

Did you by any change check the sharpness control per input ? The working seems to have changed to me. I first had it to 3 for video but now have reduced it.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #103 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 06:49 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So is DVD considered film or video? I am ignorant on the film vs video thing. Can someone educate me?

TWD
post #104 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

So is DVD considered film or video?

It can be either. It depends on how the footage was recorded.

--Andre
post #105 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreYew View Post

I agree that the ABT102 seems to react to noise differently than the Sil504. I have a recorded broadcast that's very noisy, and the noise becomes more prominent and pulses more with ABT102 than the Sil504

What's actually happening is that the ABT102 responds to motion differently than the SiI504. Since noise of sufficient amplitude can be regarded as motion, you may well see a difference with a noisy source.

If you closely examined the behavior of the 504, you'd see that its video deinterlacing does not respond well to certain types of low-level motion. If you could freeze the image out of the 504 you would see that in many cases it is missing much of this low-level motion and has significant combing artifacts in its output. The ABT102 is much more robust in this regard and produces a deinterlaced signal with much less combing - i.e., it does a much better job of removing interlace motion artifacts than the 504. The downside of this, however, is that it reacts differently to noise and its motion-detection logic will trigger in many places where the 504's will not. This can cause flicker or pulsing with the right type of source material (typically high contrast edges or very high detail). It's all a big tradeoff, really. The ABT102 is currently programmed with a bias towards removing more motion artifacts, and that's probably resulting in what you're seeing.

Quote:

I wonder if it's better to apply noise reduction before or after deinterlacing in this case (eg. using a Mosquito). Also, I wonder how noise affects the deinterlacing, since the random noise may make it more difficult to figure out correlations between fields.

I believe that the Mosquito is supposed to operate on the least processed form of the signal. For an interlaced signal this would be before deinterlacing.

From the perspective of the deinterlacer, it's often, but not always, better to do noise reduction before deinterlacing. For video deinterlacing, the removal of noise before the deinterlacing process should result in a more stable image as the noise which can trigger motion-detection logic has been removed or reduced. For film cadence detection, it's more of a mixed bag. Noise reduction can result in both better and worse correlation between fields in different situations. It depends a lot on the nature of the noise and the capabilities of the noise reduction hardware.

- Dale Adams
post #106 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Dale. thanks for the info. You are correct. The Mosquito works best processing 480i, then out into the VP30.

Most DVDs are film. Films (movies) are Film. Rock concerts, DVDs of TV shows etc, are video.

Broadcast SD and HD of sports etc are Video. The great advantage of the VP30 with the ABT102 is for SD video. Sports. Yea. Get rid of the noise fro compression DTV video SD with the Mosquito first. Assuming the VP40 or 50, whatever, handles 1080i videos well as the VP30 with ABT102 handles 480i video, I will be one happy camper.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #107 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Assuming the VP40 or 50, whatever, handle 1080i videos well as the VP30 with ABT102 handles 480i video, and I will be one happy camper.

Dale already said in an older thread that the HD deinterlacer will run the very same algorithms as the SD deinterlacer, just for HD, of course...
post #108 of 432 Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Mosquito adds some pulsating artifacts too, particularly with static images.

The mosquito certainly needs the 480i source because then it gets the macroblock sizes correctly (feeding it the output of the processor may cause it to incorrectly detect macroblock edges and lost it's "edge").

I would think that MPEG noise reduction in the process would only serve to confuse the ABT102, however, wouldn't it? If the processing is too strong, it could misidentify combing artifacts.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr

post #109 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

So is DVD considered film or video? I am ignorant on the film vs video thing. Can someone educate me?

There are two types of 'sources' for interlaced signals (e.g. DVD, 1080i HDTV):

'Film sources' require "pulldown" to resequence frames. 'Film sources' are movies and high quality TV dramas.

'Video sources' require removal of combing over fields. 'Video sources' are news, sports, chat shows, and most studio based stuff.

Therefore DVD could be either: it will be 'film source' if it's a movie, but will be 'video source' if it's sports highlights.

StooMonster

post #110 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

... and u also have video materials produced/mixed with film/CGI based "background", for which some parts of it need to be in video mode, some parts of it need to be in film or other cadence tracking mode. The ABT102 is excellent at this.

... although I still have some clips even the ABT102 combs severely... (for example: a closeup of a cat on a completely black background, I see the whiskers combing everywhere.)
post #111 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... although I still have some clips even the ABT102 combs severely... (for example: a closeup of a cat on a completely black background, I see the whiskers combing everywhere.)

Is this a clip I can get access to? E.g., is it available on DVD?

- Dale Adams
post #112 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Adams View Post

The downside of this, however, is that it reacts differently to noise and its motion-detection logic will trigger in many places where the 504's will not. This can cause flicker or pulsing with the right type of source material (typically high contrast edges or very high detail).

- Dale Adams

Thank-you, Dale. I have the ABT currently installed and functioning - finally got to watch the Yankees on ESPN-SD last night. Superb job on removing the jaggies on the basepaths - they had been horrible before, the VP30 +ABT made them perfectly, smoothly diagonal on my crt. HOWEVER, on closeups of the batter, waiting at the plate with little or no motion, I was seeing the pulsing you describe above. I was afraid my 980 was going south - glad to know it is just an artifact. I couldn't figure it out, since on wide shots, pans, and commercials there was no evidence of pulsing (as if there was a toggle on the brightness control, from one level to another, at about 1(?) second intervals,) but on the players face, with out of focus crowd in the background, the strange variation in black levels was there.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. And while the game did not look as good as the HD feed (went to a friend's house to check it out on a small 52" hd set,) it looked about as good as I expect SD will look. Good job.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #113 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

wow Dale I was hoping u would notice this post and take a look at it.

Pls dun laugh, this DVD is kid's stuff. It's called "Baby Shakespeare", from the "Baby Einstein" series. Chapter 5, it shows a closeup of a real cat. The ABT102 combs real bad here. Chapter 4, there is one part it shows assembling of a wooden butterfly toy. The ABT102 combs quite badly here as well. (Each chapter is very short. These are for babies.)

I found the amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Thank you for your help!
post #114 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Dale,

Thanks for the explanation.

--Andre
post #115 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Pls dun laugh, this DVD is kid's stuff. It's called "Baby Shakespeare", from the "Baby Einstein" series. Chapter 5, it shows a closeup of a real cat. The ABT102 combs real bad here. Chapter 4, there is one part it shows assembling of a wooden butterfly toy. The ABT102 combs quite badly here as well. (Each chapter is very short. These are for babies.)

Perhaps it's something to do with the cat being in slow motion? The artefacts could be encoded into the DVD.

StooMonster Junior has these DVDs, although way too old now, but she's a genius so I wonder if they really work?

Anyway, they are authored on Macs I think, and are mostly video and computer generated effects. c722's post reminded me I had these, so I put them in and there are a few combing incidents, but as I said above I think they could be due to encoding. Dale ... it's over to you.

StooMonster

post #116 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The disc is ordered. I just have to wait 'til it comes. Too bad there's no way to just download the silly thing. . . I'll post results when I get the disc.

- Dale Adams
post #117 of 432 Old 05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Adams View Post

The disc is ordered. I just have to wait 'til it comes. Too bad there's no way to just download the silly thing. . . I'll post results when I get the disc.

wow what can I say ? One more time reminds me that I did the right thing of sticking with DVDO instead of the other guy.

Quote:

Perhaps it's something to do with the cat being in slow motion? The artefacts could be encoded into the DVD...

well for the cat I can make it not comb through some other cheap deinterlacer so I guess it's probably a simple video mode. Maybe because of the background the ABT102 thinks it's more complicated than that.

Quote:

Anyway, they are authored on Macs I think, and are mostly video and computer generated effects

Yes . This material is a mix of everything, video, CGI, film. Real gd to show a video deinterlacer. And it's very clean so deinterlacer has gd samples. Plus this is done by Disney so you have *all* sorts of chroma errors.

Btw just to be clear: the video performance of the ABT102 is excellent. I'm just very curious to see what's going behind for those exceptional cases.
post #118 of 432 Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Plus this is done by Disney so you have *all* sorts of chroma errors.

I have an original version from Julie Aigner-Clark's Baby Einstein Company, before she sold her business to Disney in November 2001 for $25M.

So I don't think you can blame Disney for *all* the chroma errors.

StooMonster

post #119 of 432 Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StooMonster View Post

I have an original version from Julie Aigner-Clark's Baby Einstein Company, before she sold her business to Disney in November 2001 for $25M.

oh is that so ? I didn't know that..

btw:
Quote:

StooMonster Junior has these DVDs, although way too old now, but she's a genius so I wonder if they really work?

Good to hear that ! Lots of ppl told me it works so I bought the whole lot. Hopefully it works the same way for her also.

ok end of OT...
post #120 of 432 Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Just installed my ABT102, and am very happy with it. Much clearer image, and any hint of jaggies etc. are gone, as far as I can see. The image has more of that 'looking through a window' quality to it than it did before the upgrade.

A question though:

Am I right in thinking that it's a good idea for me to set it to 'Video mode' for my digital SD cable box (which of course is mostly video material), and to 'Film bias mode' for my DVD player input?

If a movie then is suddenly shown on TV, the ABT102 should still automatically fix that, even though it's set to 'Video mode' for the cable box, right? And vice versa? I'm asking mostly to confirm what I think is the case.

All I want is perfection. Is that so much to ask?
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page