New DVDO iScan VP20 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok it's finally here... VP -20 to pass 1080p. I attached a snag it from Anchor bays website. Looks good!! I will test tonight and let you know what I find. I like the pass through per input option. I hope it works as advertised.

TBC

LW
LL

Buy now before you have kids... I did... Now I have kids... and my toys are now their toys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
iScan VP20 1.03 Beta Software (July 12, 2007)

We have a new Beta version for the VP20 which includes Passthrough and is available for download here: http://www.anchorbaytech.com/support...eement_103.php

This Beta version contains the following new features:

New Passthrough Mode

The new Passthrough mode allows digital and analog signals to be passed through without any deinterlacing or scaling. Passthrough mode allows an HDMI input signal to be passed through to the HDMI output. Passthrough mode does still allow colorspace conversion to be done on the HDMI inputs, so if an input signal is 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4 and you would like to output this to a 1080p display with a DVI input, the iScan VP20 can convert this signal to a 1080p RGB 4:4:4 output. Menu selections that are not available while the signal is passed through are grayed out in the OSD. While in Passthrough mode an error condition is reported over the RS232 protocol if a function which does not work is accessed. Like the Deinterlacing' and Overscan' options in the Input Adjust' menu, Passthrough' can be set up on a per input/per format basis. Signals with a resolution of to 1080p-60 can be passed through the VP20.

Added Image Shift Input Adjust menu item.

This new option in the OSD combines the previously available Line Offset' control with a new horizontal image shift control. 'Line Offset' has been replaced by a Vertical Image Shift Control. The Image Shift Option is available when:

The SDI or HDMI input is selected and the input signal is 480i (Same control as Line Offset')

The Component (1 or 2) or RGBHV input is selected and the input signal is 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, VGA-SXGA@60Hz

Added Brackets Around Selections For Front Panel Navigation

Items that are grayed out in the OSD are now shown on the front panel display with brackets around the selection to denote that it is unavailable, given the current conditions.

This Beta version of software also addresses the following bugs:

Fixed issue with some minor inconsistent front panel and OSD indicators
Fix Discrete IR Reliability
Fixed problem with 720p50 Analog Input Signal

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 141 Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Well I have tested the pass though and it works awesome!! I tested my HTPC with HDCP and with out and had no issues, the pass through works perfectly. Great job DVDO!!! for those users that wanted to run their HTPC's straight through this is the ticket. I also tested my other components Comcast HD as well as OppO 981 .. with great results. FYI I do use the processor for those inputs but I needed to test. I am now going to start looking for a great deal on HDDVD/Xbox with HD/ bluray/or PS3!!

Hmm I'm thinking the XBox right now. I'm not a gamer but it gives me more options right?

Josh beat you to post!!!
This is perfect!!!! BTW great options in this release!!

cheers!!

LW

Buy now before you have kids... I did... Now I have kids... and my toys are now their toys...
post #94 of 141 Old 07-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Looking back through this thread after ordering a VP20 and noted that there are no Display Profiles on this (vs VP30/50). This still seems contrary to the current (19-Jul-2007) comparison table on the Anchor Bay site where it lists 10 Display Profiles for all three units.

Just searched the pdf manual for the VP20 for the VP30 which shows that the VP20 does not have this but the Vp30 does.

I don't need BNC connections, analog out, or the 4th HDMI input and multiple display profiles (which strikes me as purely software) doesn't sound worth the $$$. I switch between output to a 1080i RPTV, a 720p-native front projector and a 1360x768-native flat panel LCD (in the adjoining workout room). Other than the resolution I will have to find out how much tweaking I will need for each output at the level of V/H shift, overscan, etc..

Any idea on whether ABT might toss in these lines of code in some future upgrade?
post #95 of 141 Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

DVDO iScan VP20

Physical Dimensions
10.4x17x2.2 (26.3cmx43.4cmx5.5cm) with feet
10.4x17x1.8 (26.3cmx43.4cmx4.6cm) without feet

Is that 10.4 (W) x 17" (D) or vice versa? Need to know whether it will fit.
post #96 of 141 Old 07-22-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8by8 View Post

Is that 10.4 (W) x 17" (D) or vice versa? Need to know whether it will fit.

That is 10.4" deep and 17" wide.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 141 Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM

Please forgive the naive post. I'm new to this and learning.

I have Panasonic TH-50PH9UK panel (with TY-FB8HM HDMI card), VP20, Denon 3910, DLO iPod Dock.

I've been having a devil of a type getting the VP20 and screen calibrated. The panel seems to be native 1366x768, but when I select that I get "no input" from the display. As a result I'm running 1280x720. The display's HDMI card may be the problem, but I'm not sure I understand the "active pixels/total pixels" vs "active lines/total lines" [but I'm taking it to mean that the card is doing some scaling].

At 1080i, I cannot vertically size the image down from VP20 to fit the display (though horizontal can be scaled using the picture size adjustment from the panel). At 720p I can get the scaling okay, but the "checkerboard" and other test patterns are clearly artifacted.

Finally, I see in the VP20 owners manual references to setting the horizonal size (for example) but cannot get them on screen. I've loaded the just-released firmware.

I'm not new to audio/video, but this is my first attempt at playing "with the big boys". Apologies to the list if this is too off-topic or naive a question. I'm at wits end. Any help appreciated -- thanks!
post #98 of 141 Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You're right: the HDMI card is the problem. You cannot send the HDMI card a 1366x768 signal and achieve native rate. You can only do this with the DVI card (TY-42TM6D). Silly, but true.
post #99 of 141 Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothersale View Post

You're right: the HDMI card is the problem. You cannot send the HDMI card a 1366x768 signal and achieve native rate. You can only do this with the DVI card (TY-42TM6D). Silly, but true.

So, the money on the HDMI card was well spent
If I get the DVI card, will I be good to go? It At present I'd been debating whether to keep the DVDO, because frankly it hadn't done that much for me (save an improvement on the signal from the iPod, which was much improved).

Any other surprises or recommendations for me? Thx for the assist!
post #100 of 141 Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the HDMI card when I got my 8UK thinking it would have all the input capabilities of the DVI card, and kicked myself for it later. Ah well.

If I were you, I'd run out and buy a DVI card first before you return the VP20. Your set is still processing the video, so you're not seeing a pristine version of what the VP20 is sending. It's good to have the DVI card anyway. At least that was my jusification.

Do you have the ABT102 card too?
post #101 of 141 Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the HDMI card when I got my 8UK thinking it would have all the input capabilities of the DVI card, and kicked myself for it later. Ah well.

If I were you, I'd run out and buy a DVI card first before you return the VP20. Your set is still processing the video, so you're not seeing a pristine version of what the VP20 is sending. It's good to have the DVI card anyway. At least that was my jusification.

Thanks -- I will get the DVI and we'll see how it goes. I do have the ABT102.
post #102 of 141 Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Just incorporating my new VP20 into the system to replace my iSCAN HD and had a question about routing audio.

One of the inputs is an SA8300HD cable box. I had been using a combination of DVI/Toslink before and found the well-documented fact that using HDMI for audio is useless with the SA8300HD (TWC Passport software). Therefore, I have used the optical output to the VP20's input. Should the VP20 pass this signal out to the HDMI out? I am not getting any sound on my LCD flat panel via HDMI but the optical output from the VP20 to my Outlaw 950 receiver works just fine.

The Viewsonic N3250W LCD flat panel is in an adjoining workout room and the internal speakers are just fine for my needs, just trying to minimize cables.
post #103 of 141 Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumori View Post

Just incorporating my new VP20 into the system to replace my iSCAN HD and had a question about routing audio.

One of the inputs is an SA8300HD cable box. I had been using a combination of DVI/Toslink before and found the well-documented fact that using HDMI for audio is useless with the SA8300HD (TWC Passport software). Therefore, I have used the optical output to the VP20's input. Should the VP20 pass this signal out to the HDMI out? I am not getting any sound on my LCD flat panel via HDMI but the optical output from the VP20 to my Outlaw 950 receiver works just fine.

The Viewsonic N3250W LCD flat panel is in an adjoining workout room and the internal speakers are just fine for my needs, just trying to minimize cables.

In the menu you can choose which audio input you want to use for the HDMI connection. Make sure the correct one is chosen and you will get audio on the TV.
I had the same issue with my STB. (same model)
I ran the optical out to the VP20 and the VP20's optical out to my audio processor.
I select audio 2 as my audio for the HDMI 1 out put and I hear sound over the TV.
Also check if the SA8300's audio out is set to "other" or Dolby.
On my set, I could not get sound to my TV on the Dolby setting but it would work on the processor.
The other setting works on both. (go figure)
post #104 of 141 Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 PM

bootman_head_fi -

Thanks for the response. I will try the different audio output options on the SA8300HD again.

Doesn't do much good to have HDMI if it really functions only as a DVI port!
post #105 of 141 Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bootman_head_fi -

Thanks for the response. I will try the different audio output options on the SA8300HD again.

Doesn't do much good to have HDMI if it really functions only as a DVI port!

It's a bug in the SA box. The "other" audio setting in the SA's menu worked for me.
post #106 of 141 Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM

As I incorporate several new components into my system I am trying to minimize the number of units that are in standby mode 24/7. I have currently set things up so that my receiver, my DVR (needs to be on for scheduled recordings) and power conditioner (Monster HTS 5100) are always on in standby mode.

When my remote macro turns on the receiver a trigger allows the HTS5100 to power up the outputs several other components including the VP20. Macro sequences work fine but the VP20 is always starting out displaying one of the test pattern screens. If I turn this off there is no problem - everything is working fine (including the appropriate HDMI input for DVD, TVix, cable box, etc. as set by the macro).

Any way to avoid the test pattern? Should I just leave power to the VP20 all of the time and have it sit in standby mode?
post #107 of 141 Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Hello all:

I purchased the iscan vp20 for the sole purpose of upconverting 480i DISH satellite to 1080p. I have the DISH Vip622 and I was sending 480i out through the secondary output on the receiver (that way i could keep 1080i for the HD channels on the HDMI cable). My television is the Sony KDL-46XBR2 with 1080p support.

Anyhow, when I first hooked up the Vp20 I noticed no improvement whatsoever over the internal scaler in the Sony. So, I purchased and installed the ABT102D precision deinterlacing card. Still, to me at least, no improvement over sending 480i to the Sony directly. If any improvement was to be seen, it was certainly not worth the extra $1,000 I had now sunk into the VP20.

I am not one of those people who expect 480i to be magically converted to HD. But I thought the DVDO would do something to improve my existing setup. It just didn't so I sold the VP20 with the ABT102D on eBay yesterday.

So here is my question -- Is there anything on the market short of the $5,000 Crystallio 2 that will visibly improve the 480i SD satellite signal coming out of the DISH receiver? I don't need a scaler for DVDs because we use the Toshiba XA2 for playing plain old DVDS and the scaling is simply amazing. Is there an external scaler that uses the XA2's ReonVX chip?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew S. Mansfield
post #108 of 141 Old 07-30-2007, 01:52 PM
KP1

Quote:

Looking back through this thread after ordering a VP20 and noted that there are no Display Profiles on this (vs VP30/50). This still seems contrary to the current (19-Jul-2007) comparison table on the Anchor Bay site where it lists 10 Display Profiles for all three units.

Just searched the pdf manual for the VP20 for the VP30 which shows that the VP20 does not have this but the Vp30 does.

I don't need BNC connections, analog out, or the 4th HDMI input and multiple display profiles (which strikes me as purely software) doesn't sound worth the $$$. I switch between output to a 1080i RPTV, a 720p-native front projector and a 1360x768-native flat panel LCD (in the adjoining workout room). Other than the resolution I will have to find out how much tweaking I will need for each output at the level of V/H shift, overscan, etc..

Any idea on whether ABT might toss in these lines of code in some future upgrade?

I upgraded from an HD+ to a VP20 on the assumption that it would have the display profile feature available based on what was stated on the website product comparison chart and was very dissapointed not to find this feature available for the VP20. I have a projector that can display both 50Hz and 60Hz frame rates. The VP20 does not have the display profile feature which can enable you to autolink saved 50hz and 60hz display profiles to 50hz and 60 hz inputs respectivley. This creates a cumbersome situation of having to manually switch between 50hz and 60hz output formats in order to keep the frame rates locked from input to output.
Colorspace and image shift settings are also lost everytime there is a need to change output formats. The whole point of having a video processor of this nature is to eliminate this sort of inconvenience while providing excellent picture quality.
The display profile and autolink features would do this changeover automatically, and retain all output settings (e.g. colorspace, image shift) once they were set up.
The HD+ provided this feature which is omitted from the VP20. I agree, I also do not need all the other analogue outputs provided on the higher models but the addition of this feature would make people, with similar configurations, much more satisfied with this product. There is simply no point to use the PAL to NTSC conversion feature if your display can handle both frame rates. DVDO are reluctant to add this feature after having communicated this issue to them. This is in actual fact not a request to add a revolutionary new feature to the product but to simply add a menu facility to automate the switch over to different output formats. I have subsequently noticed that DVDO have now removed the display profile feature for the VP20 from the web product comparison chart. Does this imply that this feature will never be considered for the VP20? If this is the case then I have to say that I will be very disappointed and would have to consider another brand that offers better support. The VP20 is supposed to be a video scaler and a/v switcher hence my questions are : What is the point of having a processor that can output at 50hz and 60 hz frame rates but cannot automatically switch between these output format rates to match the vertical frequency of the selected input? Is this really too much to ask?
post #109 of 141 Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Okay -- I think I have everything, except a picture. I have a monoprice cable going HDMI to the DVI input on the panel, but nothing coming in. Does it make a difference which HDMI-DVI cable I use? Are they bi-directional or unidirectional? Thx again.

= Ken
post #110 of 141 Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Very odd. Assuming you've tried outputting a variety of signals none of them work, I would start the troubleshooting by bypassing the VP20 entirely. If you still get no picture, you know the VP20 has nothing to do with it. Then I would replace the cable (since that's the cheapest thing). If it still doesn't work, could be you have a bad DVI card.

Of course, the greatest likelihood is that it's user error. I would check and recheck everything. You didn't hit the curtain button by mistake or something, did you?
post #111 of 141 Old 08-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Well I sent my VP-20 in for a checkup, I have been plagued by artifact and screen flashes. The pass through is also not functioning correctly anymore. It will not pass my PS3 @1080p through or my pc anymore. It shows a lot of snow and the light goes green to blue green to blue..... Hmmm hope they find the issue.

I have no problems with any of my gear when I run them directly to my Epson 1080 home. And the sad part is they look much better directly connected with out the VP-20. (good processor in the projector but still the vp-20 should do more heavy lifting IMHO).

I really hope they find the problem with my unit because I have no switching now which is a pain and my wife is not happy, which means I'm not happy. If, when returned, I get the same issues I'm going with a pass through HDMI switch. But.. please no more issues , Where's the picture I paid for?? (dangerous question.)

post #112 of 141 Old 08-17-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

iScan VP20 1.03 Beta Software (July 12, 2007)

This Beta version contains the following new features:

New Passthrough Mode

The new Passthrough mode allows digital and analog signals to be passed through without any deinterlacing or scaling. Passthrough mode allows an HDMI input signal to be passed through to the HDMI output. Passthrough mode does still allow colorspace conversion to be done on the HDMI inputs, so if an input signal is 1080p YCbCr 4:4:4 and you would like to output this to a 1080p display with a DVI input, the iScan VP20 can convert this signal to a 1080p RGB 4:4:4 output. Menu selections that are not available while the signal is passed through are grayed out in the OSD. While in Passthrough mode an error condition is reported over the RS232 protocol if a function which does not work is accessed. Like the Deinterlacing' and Overscan' options in the Input Adjust' menu, Passthrough' can be set up on a per input/per format basis. Signals with a resolution of to 1080p-60 can be passed through the VP20.

Items that are grayed out in the OSD are now shown on the front panel display with brackets around the selection to denote that it is unavailable, given the current conditions.

Josh,

Is there a list of menu items available in "passthrough mode"?

Would it be possible to run the VP20 in "passthrough" mode, and still be able to adjust items like image width (porch adjustment) going to my CRT projector?

De-interlacing and scaling (1080P via HDMI) would take place upstream at HD player or receiver. I just need a black box to tweak the image width to fit the screen properly. I would like to keep a 10 bit path which the VP20 seems to offer.

Thanks,
Ray
post #113 of 141 Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 AM

I am new for upscaler...and so sorry for a dumb question.

To further improve the video quality of VP20, can I change the stock DC converter, or the power cable connected from socket to the DC converter, to better one?? If it could, any brand of power cable or DC converter can be recommended?

Normally for AC power, changing the stock AC power cable to good one can get good improvement....but I do not have much knowledge of DC power.

Thx,
Your Cousin
post #114 of 141 Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Time to revive this thread.

I am about to purchase an iScan VP20 with the ABT 102 add-on. With the latest software update, has anyone had trouble passing 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 signals through this processor?
post #115 of 141 Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Time to revive this thread.

I am about to purchase an iScan VP20 with the ABT 102 add-on. With the latest software update, has anyone had trouble passing 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 signals through this processor?

I had severe flashing issues (HDMI lock?) using a Pannasonic BD-30 and trying to pass 1080p60. (no issues at 1080i60)
I prefered the picture at a native 1080p60 directly to my set so for Bluray viewing I'm bypassing the VP20 at the moment.

This player can do 1080p24 but I was not able to pass that through since it does not have a force option and the VP20 does not report back 1080p24 compatibility. (although I'm sure it will have no problems passing it since 1080i60 is no problem.)
post #116 of 141 Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

I had severe flashing issues (HDMI lock?) using a Pannasonic BD-30 and trying to pass 1080p60. (no issues at 1080i60)
I prefered the picture at a native 1080p60 directly to my set so for Bluray viewing I'm bypassing the VP20 at the moment.

This player can do 1080p24 but I was not able to pass that through since it does not have a force option and the VP20 does not report back 1080p24 compatibility. (although I'm sure it will have no problems passing it since 1080i60 is no problem.)

Thanks for sharing. I was afraid that this would be an issue.

My initial plan was to use my AVR as a switcher and transcoder, but I will instead purchase the VP30 plus add-on and send my 1080p sources to another HDMI input on my display. It works out since all of my digital 1080p sources are connected to my AVR anyway. The VP30 seems to have some extra features that I could use for my application, like the RGBHV input and display profiles.
post #117 of 141 Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM

I'm having a weird issue w/my Vp20. When connected to the cablebox via HDMI no sound comes out. Connecting PS3 via HDMI = no problem. Cable box to TV = no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #118 of 141 Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you read my post above? #103
post #119 of 141 Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM

The correct audio input was chosen, thats not the issue. Thanks though.
post #120 of 141 Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Aha - Josh got back to me via e-mail (Thanks for the speedy response!)

"I forgot one thing that you are probably wondering about. The reason
that the audio works when you connect the cable box straight to the
display is that the audio is forced to be 2 channel PCM by the EDID
information in the display which the cable box reads. When the cable box
is connected to the VP20 the EDID of the VP20 supports more formats
which the TV cannot decode.

I also noticed that you are using the analog audio input for your 16-bit
game consoles. Another way of connecting up your cable box is using one
of the digital audio outputs (optical/coax) and finding/selecting an
option on the cable box to output stereo only (no surround)."
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List