Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 247 Old 08-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Blues In Thirds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hope this has not been posted yet. I noticed today that the sharpness and detail enhancement features will not retain their settings on the unit once you leave the menu they're on. When you first get to the pop down menu and click the appropriate box fox either one, the picture suddenly pops alive with whatever setting you previously installed. All the butttons are still located where you previously had them but the unit is not engaging with them. After making just one adjustment, it's like the menu goes back to sleep or something. You have to reboot the unit [turn it of and turn it back on again] all over again to go get it to go any further. But even then, you're starting the whole cycle all over again. I finally got tired of it all and just turned the whole thing off. The wierd thing is all the other picture settngs still function as best as I can tell. But sharpness and detail enhancement somehow fail to function. It seems like someone posted this issue earlier. I also tried the advanced settings menu. Not quite sure what to look for there but if someone were to suggest that the settings don't work I would be inclined to agree. BTW, this is with version 1.09.

Can we post this as an issue for Algolith if it hasn't already been done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 247 Old 08-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Blues In Thirds

Okay, more issues. I'm getting the big light blue screen any time I insert a PAL DVD...at least I think that's what's going on. The Oppo logo is usally visible until I load the disk. Then everything goes blue. When I bypass the DF and go directly to the 300e, everything works fine. The disk plays fine regardless of region or whether I using HDMI or component. As soon as I insert the DF into the string [component or HDMI], I start getting all these strange activities. The DVD player is multi-region and I have it set to zero. The PQ is great when I finally get to see one. Does anyone know if by some stretch, the DF is region specific?
post #183 of 247 Old 08-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone: Ive been reading on the hd dvd forum that some have sold their Denon 3910 dvd player to purchase one of the Toshiba HD dvd players. They have reported the dvd player does a better job upscaling the standard dvds ( than does Denon 3910) and provides a better picture. I know the HD dvd players will provide a better picture when using HD dvds but since I have the Mosquito and Dragonfly would there be a benefit using the Toshiba model over the Denon for standard videos. Thanks Greg
post #184 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 12:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greg,

Please open a new thread on the subject, it has no direct relevance to the DragonFly.

javry,

I had PAL issues on the beta too. Some were resolved. Did you try to switch the oppo to NTSC to see what would happen?

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #185 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 03:18 AM
Blues In Thirds

thanks Ofer. I'll look into it. I've had the unit back for a little over a week now and I have to say that when the unit and the movie are "cozied up" and everything in the AV string is handshaking properly, the PQ can be pretty good, especially with the Black Level set to 7.5 IRE. Here's a few more findings from last night. Maybe Algolith is tuning in?

I have never been able to get the Color Temp function to do anything.

In spite of earlier tirades, I think the "film mode" part of the advanced settings is working properly. I get a box on the top right hand corner of the screen telling me when the cadence is switching from video to film or whatever. I have it set to auto. I have left the "Decisions Box" set to factory spec of 2.2..mainly because I'm afraid the house'll blow up or something if I try to change it:>)

I still continue to get no bananas that I can see when switching features in the Enhancement and Noise Reduction menus.

I tried switching the clocking to external once while using component....just to see what would happen. The unit kept defaulting me back to Internal. Later, I read in the manual that "external" clocking is only available for 480p,720p, and 1080i sources. Is that then the preferred option for those signals?

In the "Audio In" onscreen menu, you can select between 2 coax inputs and one optical. and you don't need an audio out selection, so the manual says. I have not tried this yet so I have to ask; what if you want to use HDMI as your audio in? What feature do you select?

Last comment for now is that the manual is certainly off to a good start....... but for a $2000 plus piece of highly technical gear, I'm hoping they will aim it more at a technical crowd that's interested in more than where you plug things in at. For instance, all the printed information you're ever going to get about Advanced Settings is located on the bottom third of page 13.....and the manual is small to begin with. The message "To be Implemented" is a bit confusing. Not sure if it means they're still working on the text which will be inserted at a later date or does it mean that the task specific to the menu is "To Be implemented" by the user as the menu directs. Either way, this has got to be one of the areas where Algolith could spend some time fully discussing the issues at hand.

Also I would like to think that the troubleshooting section would get updated at some point to include some of the stuff we've been discussing here. Otherwise, they could just point new users to the forum:>)
post #186 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by oferlaor
Greg,
javry,

I had PAL issues on the beta too. Some were resolved. Did you try to switch the oppo to NTSC to see what would happen?
Ofer,
It just dawned on me what you were asking of me. The answer is yes. When first firing up the unit in component, I stuck a PAL R2 disk in. I immediately got a message that said "wrong region". I then went into the 9210 menu and sure enough, it was set to R1. I switched it to 0 and everything was fine. I then inserted the DF into the chain and that's where "big blue" came in. I tried it with a few more PAL disks and got the same results. As soon as I inserted a NTSC disk, everything was fine again. Since this is happening on component, it can't be HDCP related. And frankly, it would be non-sensicle to have the cadence capability to handle PAL and then get weird when someone tries to use it. So I don't think it's that either. My guess is there's a bug in there somewhere that they haven't worked out yet....or there's something I'm doing wrong.
post #187 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry
Hope this has not been posted yet. I noticed today that the sharpness and detail enhancement features will not retain their settings on the unit once you leave the menu they're on. When you first get to the pop down menu and click the appropriate box fox either one, the picture suddenly pops alive with whatever setting you previously installed. All the butttons are still located where you previously had them but the unit is not engaging with them. After making just one adjustment, it's like the menu goes back to sleep or something. You have to reboot the unit [turn it of and turn it back on again] all over again to go get it to go any further. But even then, you're starting the whole cycle all over again. I finally got tired of it all and just turned the whole thing off. The wierd thing is all the other picture settngs still function as best as I can tell. But sharpness and detail enhancement somehow fail to function. It seems like someone posted this issue earlier. I also tried the advanced settings menu. Not quite sure what to look for there but if someone were to suggest that the settings don't work I would be inclined to agree. BTW, this is with version 1.09.

Can we post this as an issue for Algolith if it hasn't already been done?
Hi Javry,

Check the first post on this thread. There is a summary of the issues that owners have run into including the ones that you've described. If you find a problem that isn't listed, then please let us know and also e-mail Algolith and let them know about the problem.
post #188 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Blues In Thirds

Thanks Mark. I read over the first posts and it looks like most of it is covered. I didn't see anything in there about the PAL issue though.
post #189 of 247 Old 08-13-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I read over the first posts and it looks like most of it is covered. I didn't see anything in there about the PAL issue though.
Good catch, I'll add the PAL issue to the summary and I recommend that you flag the problem to Algolith too.
post #190 of 247 Old 08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Blues In Thirds

okay. will do
post #191 of 247 Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Blues In Thirds

One other thing...and I think we may have covered this already on the front page. Sometimes when using the OSD menu, a ghost of the menu will remain on the screen after closing the menu out. It'll be a funky silhouette of the menu occupying the same area as the menu but etched with no coherent image. I usually get it most when changing input options....say from HDMI to component or visa versa.
post #192 of 247 Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

Hallo,
I want add to the list some of issue verified from me with version FW.1.9

1) with sources (HDDVD, DVD)HDMI out in dragonfly HDMI imput i have noticed big artefacts in the images (Conturing, noise video, etc.), the defects remain with or without the DNR of the Dragonfly.
No problem with the sources in component imput and making the transcoding HDMI output the image is good.

2) Verified the not compatibility with the resolution HD 720p 50Hz, 1080i 50Hz in imput.

I wanted to know if someone have noticed the same problems on some of your Dragonfly.

dlp profeta
post #193 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Blues In Thirds

Mark,
Not sure if this would go on the DM or DF thread but I've noticed that when I load full component all the way through on my system, there is a red push to everything. I knew it was there before but last night, I got up and left the room for a few minutes and then walked back in and wow! It's really strong. Not sure what that's all about but I'd like to know if any of the other guys are getting this.

Also, when loading DVD>component<DM>component<DF>HDMI<PJ, I get a very strong pink haze to everything....almost red. Please post on front page if it's not already there. I've already notified Algolith about it.
post #194 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by oferlaor
Greg,

Please open a new thread on the subject, it has no direct relevance to the DragonFly.

javry,

Ofer,
I got an email back from Algolith saying they were aware of the PAL issue and would have a fix for it in the next FWUG. Tell ya what....the list is getting pretty long.
post #195 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-maestro
Hallo,
I want add to the list some of issue verified from me with version FW.1.9

1) with sources (HDDVD, DVD)HDMI out in dragonfly HDMI imput i have noticed big artefacts in the images (Conturing, noise video, etc.), the defects remain with or without the DNR of the Dragonfly.
No problem with the sources in component imput and making the transcoding HDMI output the image is good.

2) Verified the not compatibility with the resolution HD 720p 50Hz, 1080i 50Hz in imput.

I wanted to know if someone have noticed the same problems on some of your Dragonfly.
The only HDMI image problem that I've been seeing is that the black level is elevated. I haven't noticed contouring or added noise, but I will look for it. Perhaps what you are seeing is the full resolution available via HDMI. Component can be softer than HDMI with some sources. What sources are you using? And are you running the component through a Mosquito?

As far as the black level is concerned, it is definitely much elevated with the HDMI input. I'm guessing it's at least double what my HD2K outputs so the net result is a reduction in on/off CR by 50%... ouch. I can crank the brightness setting down to 0 with no effect. The blacks via component look fine to my eyes.
post #196 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Mark,
Not sure if this would go on the DM or DF thread but I've noticed that when I load full component all the way through on my system, there is a red push to everything. I knew it was there before but last night, I got up and left the room for a few minutes and then walked back in and wow! It's really strong. Not sure what that's all about but I'd like to know if any of the other guys are getting this.

Also, when loading DVD>component<DM>component<DF>HDMI<PJ, I get a very strong pink haze to everything....almost red. Please post on front page if it's not already there. I've already notified Algolith about it.
Interesting. I use HDMI out only so I haven't seen this problem. I'll flag it though.
post #197 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
One other thing...and I think we may have covered this already on the front page. Sometimes when using the OSD menu, a ghost of the menu will remain on the screen after closing the menu out. It'll be a funky silhouette of the menu occupying the same area as the menu but etched with no coherent image. I usually get it most when changing input options....say from HDMI to component or visa versa.
This sounds suspiciously like 3D NR. Do you see the problem when the Mosquito is not in the chain?
post #198 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I updated the summary at the beginning of this thread. Thanks all for contributing towards making the DF a better product.
post #199 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Blues In Thirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen
This sounds suspiciously like 3D NR. Do you see the problem when the Mosquito is not in the chain?
This seemed to going on prior my getting the DM in. I think it's happened once or twice since then but not to the degree I was getting it before. I gotta start taking better notes. I'm picking up new stuff all the time and it's all starting to run together.
post #200 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Blues In Thirds

I think some of the problems I'm having with running full component is in using the Oppo. As you all know, it's not known for it's 480i output. In fact, I believe the Secrets article from a couple of years ago specifically advises against it. Obviously, I wanted to see what the DMDF combo does when it has to do all the processing work.....but that's assuming you have some decent sourcing equipment to start with. I don't get these kinds of issues while runnig full HDMI. But then with HDMI the DF gets a 480p signal and merley upscales it to 720p or whatever.......not a big challenge I would think. A lot more work has to go on to take a 480i signal, convert it and upscale it. But as I said, I think there has to be something there to work with or it's garbage in-garbage out. I don't want to turn this into a "lets' beat up on Oppo" thread....but it does make me wonder if, in some cases, the DMDF is just spitting out what it's being given. Thoughts?
post #201 of 247 Old 08-26-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I just read through this thread. I have an old scaler and am in the market for a replacement and I sort of tentatively decided on the DF some months ago. I know this comment might seem a bit vapid to those of you with so much more expertise but I make it anyway: There must be the promise of a pretty wonderful return to justify the pain in the neck of producing a scaler. It just seems such a difficult product to perfect.
post #202 of 247 Old 08-27-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
What sources are you using? And are you running the component through a Mosquito?
Hi Marks,

first thanks for the answer but the problem is visible
only with sources HDMI with whichever resolution (480i/p, 576i/p ,720p,etc.)
the used sources is a HDDVD Toshiba and dvd player in HDMI.
The noise issue and conturing is a lot visible on background uniform like ex.smoke, fog, sky etc.,and still remains but it diminishes only with the CNR on.
Instead in Component IN and HDMI OUT the issue is not visible and the image is perfect.
I have see in the Enhancement menu the function TVP is gray blocked ON and dont is possible to change.

dlp profeta
post #203 of 247 Old 08-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Blues In Thirds

that is very strange. When I go component in to the DF and HDMI out, I get a pink haze all over everything.
post #204 of 247 Old 09-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Blues In Thirds

Okay....I've finally come to the conclusion that component through my system is a non-starter. I don't think however, that it's the DMDF. I think it's the Oppo. I tried going component directly into my 300e....and guess what? I got the same red-pushy, hazy PQ I got while running everything through the DMDF. I can make the PQ better by adjusting the menu settings in the DF like increasing the hue output to about 190 [instead of 180] but it never quite gets to the clerity you get with HDMI. I guess the point here is that the DMDF combo, at the end of the day, is only as good as the source. It won't work miracles. I've now taken all the component cables out of the system and I'm only running HDMI. That's kind've a shame because I would've liked to have seen the DMDF do it's thing with a true 480i source. Don't get me wrong. There are still a lot of issues with the DMDF but I think most of them can be rectified through FWUGs......nuff said.
post #205 of 247 Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK, CEDIA has come and gone. Algolith was silent about firmware 1.09, and I believe it was due to some annoucement to be made at CEDIA.

Can someone in the know list the 1.09 benefits, or get Algolith to fess up.

Dennis
post #206 of 247 Old 09-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Blues In Thirds

were they even there?
post #207 of 247 Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Version 1.09 contains an easter egg that tells where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. :D

Actually, it adds support for the Crestron remote protocol. With the limitations listed below:

1. After using Crestron to configure the Dragonfly, the OSD is not
refreshed and may display former values. (Remaining bugs in OSD make some items in the menu out-of-sync with Crestron control. Setting parameters by Crestron and reading them back with Crestron will always be correct. But reading them back with OSD may show some inconsistencies. Only Crestron read back are correct. Changing a parameter with OSD will always be reflected correctly on Crestron readback.)

2. Powering off Dragonfly with Crestron does not really turn off the
Dragonfly but put most dragonfly circuitry in Power Save mode.
Unfortunately, the fan continue to spin because T2 continues to dissipate heat.
post #208 of 247 Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
were they even there?
They were there.

The good news is that 1.10 will be out in a few weeks and it contains a bunch of bug fixes. It's supposed to be available for beta testing in the next few days. This is a partial list of what is promised in this release:

- More OSD odd behavior fixes,
- Discreet IR codes for aspect ratio, output format and input selection.
- BCE is now working correctly
- Overscan modes
- And more…

I also forgot to add that CNR (for SD) is supposed to be working in v1.09 although I haven't yet verified this. CNR for HD is not supported in the Realta featureset.
post #209 of 247 Old 09-22-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hope they have at least fixed most of the issues on page 1. Most have existed since day 1. I have the VP50 on order so the better processor will stay in my theater.
post #210 of 247 Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Mark

Dennis
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page