Composite to component adapter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to connect a composite output on a VCR to a component input on a switch I have? I don't want to spend a lot of money and I can't find an adapter on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2006, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know of any NTSC composite to 480i component adapters but I do know of several NTSC composite to 480p component adapters. One of the latter that is not too expensive secondhand and that is pretty good is called a DVDO iScan Plus.

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You have two choices for best performance. I have used both and they are the only units that do no degrade the image. Unfortunately, neither is a current product -

Monster Entec made a Composite to S-Video converter. It was around $900.00 new, very few were sold, and it is virtually impossible to find.

Kramer made a unit that also converts either Composite or S-Video to Component. Street price was around $270.00.

Other units did not perform as well and/or used A/D and D/A conversion with artifacts.

Due to space considerations I no longer use the Kramer. If you'd be interested in it shoot me an email - it's still in mint condition and I'd be interested in making space in the closet ...

hlm3@att.net

Regards,

- Hunter
post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2006, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
An old DVHS deck with component output off ebay is an option. A JVC DR30000 for example.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2006, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

What about a way to convert s-video to component? I forgot I have an s-video output on the VHS deck.

BTW, I discovered that if you connect a composite cable to the green component input you get a B/W picture. If you split the composite signal and plug into red and green component you get a red picture, plug into green and blue you get a blue picture, plug into all three you get a purple picture.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I found an s-video to component adapter at infocus.com for $25. Svideo.com sells a composite to s-video adapter for $4. Prices shown include shipping. Hopefully this will work. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rick Martin
post #7 of 11 Old 07-08-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanspgn
BTW, I discovered that if you connect a composite cable to the green component input you get a B/W picture. If you split the composite signal and plug into red and green component you get a red picture, plug into green and blue you get a blue picture, plug into all three you get a purple picture.
That's why component is called YPbPr. Y = black and white, Pb = blue, Pr = red.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM

check out a website called svideo and put composite to component adapter in the search on that site. there may be some items you can use.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I found out there are 2 types of svideo connectors - 4 pin and 7 pin. The infocus adapter uses a 7 pin svideo connector which works with an infocus projector. So I guess the only way to get composite to component is to use a convertor/processor. I will research this some more, but I may just not worry about it. I was just trying to eliminate a switch, but it looks like I'd be replacing a switch with a convertor.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanspgn
What about a way to convert s-video to component? I forgot I have an s-video output on the VHS deck.

Seeing this is the avs forum, ppl will call me heretic and throw rocks at me, still...
Before i had a video card that could output to component(and a tv that could accept the input, for that matters), i used to rip apart the s-video and wire it to a composite cable. Worked like a charm, of course pic quality wasn't great, but...

Back on topic, since you can go from s-video to scart, i think you can mod S-Video to YPbPr

Some expert correct me if i'm wrong
Closed Thread Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page