Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 96 Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Advantages of which - HDMI or HDSDI? And for who, a HT enthusiast or myself? Because that's two different answers as well.
I was asking about the advantages of HDMI over HD-SDI in the home theater context. It would be nice to get HD-SDI over HDMI as well, again in the home theater context.
Quote:
Didn't you state that HDSDI has little if any benefit in today's home theaters? And didn't I agree with that?
Yes, you did agree. I'm just asking for more specifics. I didn't mean to come off as argumentative when I asked for certain specifics over others. Based on what you've posted, I think you understand what I'm getting at, which is the attributes of the transport media themselves, and not any peripheral matters like "processing." No hidden agenda here, just an honest discussion. smile.gif

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
Hello guys,

I came to this thread to understand better the technical signal transfer differences between HDMI and HD-SDI, for the most part I have learned a great deal so I thank u all for that.

The reason I am making this post is purely to point out to anyone else coming to this thread for the same reason, is that there is some fundamentally false information being given out by jiujitsu35.

Let me just explain the key to understanding digital information travelling along cable in laymans terms, so to avoid any confusion.

If you sent 2 identical parcels out to the same destination 100 miles away, 1 by motorbike and 1 by skateboard. would the package at the end be the same or different?

The point is not about the quality of the parcel, its about the speed and efficiency it gets there.

jiujitsu35 claims that the end result is different between different types of cable, however this is fundamentally and physically impossible. Digital data is not affected in the same way as analogue data when travelling along cable. When analogue signal travels along cable there is a long list of variables which can affect the end result (picture quality). But when a digital signal travels it is in the form of "yes" and "no" commands.
What the bottom line here is: If all the "yes" and "no" commands reach the end successfully then the result will be 100%, therefore the end result is "as good" as the source sent it and nothing (as in 0.00000000000%) different than that.

If jiujitsu35 did indeed see a difference when changing between copper and silver, it was not because of the cable. Actually the only difference in using a silver cable instead of copper, in a digital format, is length (A silver cable could carry sufficient signal further than copper), and just to clarify - 30 feet or meters isn't even close to the threshold.

On the other hand what jiujitsu35 claims about silver being a better conductor than copper is 100% true. In an analogue format there would indeed be an improvement in quality of the end result (whether or not a human eye can see this is besides the point). However, in a digital format it is actually impossible for there to be any difference.

What is being claimed here is some kind of "matter of opinion" on the topic. However there are facts to life which are absolute, like the laws of physics, and there are no opinions on how digital information passing through cable works, only facts.
post #93 of 96 Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimatt View Post

Hello guys,

Let me just explain the key to understanding digital information travelling along cable in laymans terms, so to avoid any confusion.

If you sent 2 identical parcels out to the same destination 100 miles away, 1 by motorbike and 1 by skateboard. would the package at the end be the same or different?

The point is not about the quality of the parcel, its about the speed and efficiency it gets there.

+1 to all you said.

An example I sometimes use is Morse code. (yes mankind's first electrical communication system was in fact DIGITAL, not analog!)

As long as I can tell the difference between the dot or dash, I can decode the proper letter or character. Noise, distortion, frequency response, don't matter as long as I can tell the difference between a dot and a dash. If I can't I will get a letter wrong. Depending of how severe the interference is, I may get many more if not all letters wrong - hence errors.

With HDSDI I may get a few radom sparkles, a snow storm of sparkles, or a complete dropout. basically the same thing.

Does a more expensive Ethernet cable from your internet modem make sharper images and text? Some believe it does rolleyes.gif

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #94 of 96 Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 22
Thanks for a most informative post, Digimatt!

Glimmie, Morse code is used to transmit alphabetic characters too, so it's not purely digital, is it? biggrin.gif

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #95 of 96 Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning home theater and for some reasons (like fan noise from my htpc) the distance from projector to htpc will be 80-100 ft. So to much for hdmi standard. First I think use hdmi extenders over Cat5/6 or fiber, but not sure about picture quality after signal transformation. I know that tv production use HD-SDI standard. So what will be better for picture quality:
1. video card with HDMI>>HDMI over cat6>>cat6 to HDMI>>projector
2a. video card with HDMI>>HDMI/DVI to HDSDI extender (like Blackmagic DVI Extender)>>SDI to HDMI (AJA HI5)>>projector
2b. video card with HDMI>>HDMI to Fiber SDI (Blackmagic Mini Converter - Optical Fiber)>>>>Fiber SDI to HDMI (Blackmagic Mini Converter - Optical Fiber)>>projector

I will use some software player with MadDVR support (like J River or WMP) for watching different kind of video sources (BR, mkv and so on) need 3D support and 1080p. For audio will use PCIe pro audio card.
Your recommendation for 100 ft HDMI run and highest quality?
post #96 of 96 Old 03-15-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJankovsky View Post

I'm planning home theater and for some reasons (like fan noise from my htpc) the distance from projector to htpc will be 80-100 ft. So to much for hdmi standard. First I think use hdmi extenders over Cat5/6 or fiber, but not sure about picture quality after signal transformation. I know that tv production use HD-SDI standard. So what will be better for picture quality:
1. video card with HDMI>>HDMI over cat6>>cat6 to HDMI>>projector
2a. video card with HDMI>>HDMI/DVI to HDSDI extender (like Blackmagic DVI Extender)>>SDI to HDMI (AJA HI5)>>projector
2b. video card with HDMI>>HDMI to Fiber SDI (Blackmagic Mini Converter - Optical Fiber)>>>>Fiber SDI to HDMI (Blackmagic Mini Converter - Optical Fiber)>>projector

I will use some software player with MadDVR support (like J River or WMP) for watching different kind of video sources (BR, mkv and so on) need 3D support and 1080p. For audio will use PCIe pro audio card.
Your recommendation for 100 ft HDMI run and highest quality?

One major problem is that HDSDI does not support HDCP. So you can't send HDCP encrypted HDMI over HDSDI.

At 100feet I would look at commercial grade fiber HDMI extenders. Geffen, Extron, Key Digital.

As for picture quality, it's a go or no go. A malfunctioning extender will cause sparkles and/or dropouts. They won't soften the image, add noise, wash out colors, raise black levels, ect. These are analog video transmission problems only. Digital is go/no go as far as image quality.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page