need help from all you lumagen experts in setting up HDQ - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Set up my Lumagen tonight. I have connected Toshiba HD-A1, Dish 211 & Zenith OTA tuner. Right now I am only getting picture with Dish box whereas with Toshiba & Zenith the display shows "HDCP INPUT, OUTPUT DISABLED". It is connected to Infocus 7200 which is HDCP compliant & never had any problems with HDCP. What am I doing wrong.

Vinod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
vinodk- could be a DVI cable issue--make sure its connected well on both ends and hasn't gotten a little loose. Also if you have another cable handy you might want to try that. Or connect the cable you have directly to one of your HDCP sources and test it that way. Give our support line a call if its still not working.

Patrick Harkin, Lumagen Inc. engineer
Old 08-04-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, how do I check the firmware version?
Thanks,

Vinod
Old 08-04-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Menu 0903 (firmware version check)... I am actually using gamma off still. I have not experimented with the other settings. I did begin calibrating after setting to 48hz... And I also use Cinema picture mode...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 08-04-2006, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Joerod if youre ever down my way in wisconsin you'll have to stop by :) , were you able to play with pauls settings? what screen are you using?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I played with Paul's settings and they do make sense. I like the fact now that I am not clipping Bs & Ws. I am using a Vutec Silverstar 120.5" so I get plenty of punch. I do go to Milwaukee here and there... Thanks for the offer!

Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk
Set up my Lumagen tonight. I have connected Toshiba HD-A1, Dish 211 & Zenith OTA tuner. Right now I am only getting picture with Dish box whereas with Toshiba & Zenith the display shows "HDCP INPUT, OUTPUT DISABLED". It is connected to Infocus 7200 which is HDCP compliant & never had any problems with HDCP. What am I doing wrong.

see my post over on page 1 I believe I have pics of what youre describing, if its the same problem Patrick at lumagen told me that its a bug in the software and they are looking to fix it, I believe he also said that if you hit the enter button the message should go away but give him a call to veiry, I posted two sets of pics on page one, look at the second set of pics to see if the message is the same as what youre getting
Old 08-04-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I agree 48hz should be used for film sources (24 Fps). You can use any integer multiple of the original framerate. I use 71.93 hz to my Panny AE900U. 48 won't sync for some reason. I have independent output configurations enabled and have set up memA for 60 hz (video sources) and memB for 72hz (film sources).

The Lumagen is capable of 120 hz which would be an integer multiple of both but this also won't sync with my pj.

Be sure you have HD deinterlacing on "Auto" to enable 1080i inverse telecine. I think there should be a feature upgrade to allow selection of a particular video deinterlacing mode while still allowing film detection, but at this point it appears if you select "VIDPP" or "VIDNC" it disables 1080i IVT.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks cpcat. I will have to keep an eye on that and make sure the HD deinterlacing is set to AUTO... And that is a good idea to have the memA and memB. I will do the same and have A be 47.95hz and B 59.94 hz... :)

Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

good stuff guys keep it coming, maybe when I get a chance today Ill try pauls settings, anyone know what screen hes using? sorry paul if I asked you that before
Old 08-04-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Also, menu 0918 toggles live flags on/off and tells you if you are in video or film mode. If you see an "F" at bottom right, film mode is active.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi funlvr1965!
That is the message I am getting. I will try to press the enter button on the remote to see what happens.

Hi Patrick!
I did change cables on Toshiba player but to no avail. I donot think that there is a problem with DVI cable going from Lumagen to display as the Dish receiver is working fine. Before inserting Lumagen I had sources connected directly without any problems. Also under EDID settings I am only getting 3 options: default, pass or off. I always turn the display on before anything else.

Vinod
Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried pressing the exit button with the HDCP message with no effect. The firmware version is 060606 which is quite old. Will try to update the software. Is software update process on Lumagen easy or as involved as DVDO as I am a computer novice? Do the cables need to be disconnected from the unit during update process or can I leave the unit in the rack with cables connected & update it? Also with SDI input the picture is a bit lower on the screen with a bit more overscan. Is there a way to move the whole picture up a bit & decrease the overscan?
Thanks,

Vinod
Old 08-04-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

make sure you update your firmware, it makes ALL the difference, my hope when I started the thread was that others that just received their HDQ may benefit also, seems you are a perfect example of an early me, before I updated the firmware I did not get all my EDID settings either and it was very frustrating, patrick from Lumagen happen to be online on a weekend no less and told me that it was because I needed to update the software, I never moved the lumagen out of my rack or disconnected any cables, I simply attached the serial cable that came with the lumagen to the back of the unit and then attached the other side to my computers serial port and went to the website http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...updates_latest and download the latest update which should be at the top and all of the previous updates are included , good luck, hope the link works if not just to to www.lumagen.com then support then software updates once you do the updates you will have all your EDID options which you need for setting the lumagen for 422 colorspace if youre using the toshiba A1 hd player
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Updating was so easy. It only takes a few minutes. Once you download the firmware version from Lumagen just attach the supplied gray serial cable and then hit start. There is not much thinking involved. And after checking out their firmware list it seems as though they are constantly working on their next firmware! :)

Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Joerod how did you make out with Pauls settings, I tried them but for some reason I got a slight stutter in the video I used 16 blocks on hd dvd as a test im not sure why the settings would cause that, it was like a the motion wasnt always fluid, I a small amount of jerkiness, if you did try the settintgs what were your findings?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Toshiba HD DVD DEMO disc ran very fluid like. I only watched ATL (my Wife likes roller skating) and it also ran without any issues. I will put in 16 Blocks later and see what it looks like. Did you set the DVI input on the Ruby properly? Is timing at B? I will get back with you soon...

Old 08-04-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

yea timing was on B did you notice any image quality improvement? ive since set mine back to the way it was before, the only real difference between pauls setup and mine is I dont have genlock on, my scaling is not set to passthrough and obvioulsy my topl doesnt need to be set to his settings because I am using lumagen scaling my brightnessis 50 and contrast is 80 not too far off from his, settings
Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I so far have been using PASS with HD DVD and DTHEATER. I have not been using it with my HD TIVO. I use the 48 hz 1080p for HD DVD and DTHEATER and 60 hz with the HD TIVO. I may turn off PASS on the HD DVD and DTHEATER as well. I don't mind what the HDQ does to the picture without it. It actually helps fill the screen more 1:85 and 16:9... I will still play around with it though... What a hobby! :D

Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965
Joerod how did you make out with Pauls settings, I tried them but for some reason I got a slight stutter in the video I used 16 blocks on hd dvd as a test im not sure why the settings would cause that, it was like a the motion wasnt always fluid, I a small amount of jerkiness, if you did try the settintgs what were your findings?
Having GENLOCK: ON should smooth out the "jerkiness" or judder by locking the signal to the 47.95 timing.

What scene in 16 Blocks did you notice the judder? I'd like to check it out.

Quote:
my scaling is not set to passthrough and obvioulsy my topl doesnt need to be set to his settings because I am using lumagen scaling my brightnessis 50 and contrast is 80 not too far off from his, settings
Did you try pass-thru? That would be less video processing. You would need to set the TOPL settings to -6, -11 if you try it, to eliminate the black border on the bottom of the screen. Patrick duplicated this with me, when I called him @ Lumagen.

Paul
Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Patrick I ued all your setting including the topl settings, your right you need to use those to fill the screen once you turn pass on, the scenes that show some slight jerkiness are the one where bruce willis is just outside his sisters apt attmepting to get in and also the one where he comes into the bar with mos def after they have chased in the begining of the movie, let me know what you find maybe ill try it again later, company coming over tomorrow and dont want to screw things up at the last minute, first a friend of mine who is an installer will be stopping by and later tomorrow evening my wifes friend and her husband are coming over to watch king kong, I would rather watch swordfish because of the picture quality but guests are guests
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk

I had the same issue with my HD-A1 with lumagen (latest firmware). For me it turned out to be the HDMI cable. I was using a HDMI to DVI adaptor which was causing the handshake issue (I think). I ordered a mono price HDMI-DVI cable and everything worked I did not change a thing.

Its time to upgrade!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
the scenes that show some slight jerkiness are the one where bruce willis is just outside his sisters apt attmepting to get in and also the one where he comes into the bar with mos def after they have chased in the begining of the movie, let me know what you find maybe ill try it again later
Thanks funlvr1965, I checked out those scenes and I also replayed them at 1080/60P and your right, at 48Hz, even with GENLOCK: ON, there is a "slight jerkiness" in the panning of the background, that is smooth when played back @ 60Hz and that has a inverse telecine-3/2 pulldown difference. :confused: Also, at 1080/60P the background seems to look more focused, where I can almost read the labels on the bottles in the background of the bar during a pan. i.e. The jerkiness when playing at 48Hz makes the lables blurrier as their panned.

Hopefully, Lumagen can improve on the implementation of the 48Hz film cadence software in a future upgrade.

Paul
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

My company picked From Hell (DTHEATER) to watch tonite. ANd I did notice very subtle jerkiness during a few scenes. Now they did not notice it but I could tell. Interesting. We should let Lumagen know so they can get to work on this... Overall the picture did look very good. But if 60 hz is going to look better than I will obviously use it. So then should I be using the HDMI input on my Ruby instead of the DVI? More experimenting tomorrow...

Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

well guys it was a good try, Paul since it was your settings initiially ( great idea by the way) can you contact patrick over at lumagen and give him the rundown on your settings and tell him the result? those were great numbers you put together, now if the lumagen can handle it then I think we would be on to something special for 48hz
Old 08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hopefully all they need to do is make a few slight adjustments and release another firmware. :) I am very happy with the picture quality thus far though. Once you recalibrate the skies the limit!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

agreed!!! :)
Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Updated firmware on my unit. Now time to play with it. Kudos to Lumagen guys for making the update process so easy that even a computer dummy like me can feel comfortable doing an update.

Vinod
Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

we welcome you young padawan :D
Old 08-05-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member