New DVDO iScan VP50 - Page 211 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The other night, while watching a DVD, the audio went out. This has happened many times over the years of owning the VP50 and unplugging and replugging the power cord to the VP50 has always solved the problem. However, this time, when I plugged the power cord back in, the VP50 did not power up. No power on light or LCD panel display. I replugged everything and checked the connections on the power cord/brick but the VP50 does not power up. I'm wondering if it has given up the ghost. Can anyone suggest some method of confirming whether I have a dead unit or perhaps one that is just in a deep sleep....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The external power supply/brick probably took a dump, very likely it blew out a capacitor. There have been few people that have had them go bad that way.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Just wanted to follow-up to my previous post re: my 'dead' VP50. It was indeed the power brick which has now been replaced and the VP50 is back to life. FYI, I received a quick reply to my email message to Anchor Bay support.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Just wanted to follow-up to my previous post re: my 'dead' VP50. It was indeed the power brick which has now been replaced and the VP50 is back to life. FYI, I received a quick reply to my email message to Anchor Bay support.

How did you replace? You got the part from whom? Is that something simple to do?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Bought the power adaptor off Amazon. I bought a Manhattan configurable power adaptor (Just make sure it can do 6V 7A), the configuration instructions were fairly easy to follow. You can also buy the power adaptor direct from Anchor Bay, search under accessories.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon View Post

G'day Marcelo...long time no hear .

Hey, I'm not having any problems with my VP50 and 24Hz FR which I use quite regularly with my Sharp panel (which like your does native 24Hz.)

It takes a bit of fiddling to get the frame rate locking set up I found, but once you have it and have assigned it to a profile and saved that profile, you should normally not have any problems.

I'm running Vs 1.09.1.92z8 which I imagine is exactly the same as you are running now.

Take it you've been able to get a proper picture on your tV from a BD player at 24Hz?

Hey Phil,

I've been pretty busy and away from forums for a while now .... since I posted the last comment, I didn't try anymore.... not sure what the issue is, could be framerate . if I output directly to the panel is fine... (PS3)

the mac mini also doesn't work well if I connect it straight to the onkyo amp ... it needs to go via the DVDO .... (output at 720p .. it 'tears' at 1080p ...

so the set up, as usual is a little complicated, and I don't have much time now for any investigation..... it will have to be delayed.... it just annoys me (sure you can understand) that I can't get 1080p 24 working perfectly .... I guess 1080p 60/50 will have to do ....

cheers,

Marcelo
PS: hope you are well ... Say hi to Robert when you see him.

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 AM

I had automatic sd/hd selection working fine on the VP50 for some months now, together with the Oppo BDP83 bd player.
I had set 24p "fixed" or "auto" on the Oppo and both worked fine: whenever a film did 24p that was accepted and shown as such under the VP's "info".

Recently, for no apparent reason, whenever I select 24p in the Oppo, the VP50's "curtain" draws close, and the pic becomes black.
I've reset the Oppo to factory settings but the issue remains.

I tried changing hdmi and many other options, but that won't help.

Only the 60 Hz setting (on the Oppo) seems to work.

What may have gone wrong?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yeah, I know. Why's this moron bumping a thread that's over three years old??? Well after much trial and turmoil, it appears that the HDMI out on my VP50 is dead. Called tech support (quick response by the way) and since all my hdmi cables work fine when by bypassing the VP, and since I can't even get the menu to show onscreen, I am left with not too many options. If I send it in for repair, it is a flat $400. I had planned to sell it and my Mosquito HDMI in the classifieds here but now it's just the Mosquito. My other choice it seems would be to trash it. Any idea if there are "user serviceable" boards inside? Is it worth $400 to fix it or would I be lucky to break even? Thoughts, opinions... Thanks folks. I have a Lumagen Radiance XS going into my rack full time so I don't HAVE to have the VP50 but I hate to see that investment go completely down the drain.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the moron bumped the thread and is now being the guy that responds to his own question biggrin.gif No user replacable board 'cause it's one big board as far as I can tell. I looked at it a couple seconds, then quickly decided to put the top back on and not even think about poking around...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 87
There must still be people using SD. I can't think why anyone using commercial HD would even use one.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Thoughts, opinions... Thanks folks.
IMHO, you are out of luck. I doubt you'd receive $400 on the used market for a VP50 so it's not an economically viable repair.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's kind of my thought too. I was hopeful yesterday when I discovered it was out but realistically, just not practical.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
2nd hand VP50 units go for around $300 to 350. If the BNC RGBHV / component on yours still work, you can probably still get $200 for the machine. Especially for use with videogames, missing HDMI doesn't hurt this much as it only disables the use of HDCP protected sources and to use a scanline simulator you have to use RGBHV out anyway.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Good call. That had not occurred to me. I'll check that. I had actually planned on keeping it originally for my laserdisc player (I know, another topic for another thread) and if the analog outs work, I may just play around with it with the couple of analog sources I still have.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 AM

Hi All,

I just got a vp50 :-) but have an issue with it. It powers up ok, but the minute I connect the output hdmi to my panasonic plasma (6 months old), the vp50 goes into perpetual 'reboot' with the lcd coming up, logo, off, lcd back on, logo etc.

I read elsewhere this may be a power supply fault, so replaced this but still no joy.

Without the 'output' connected I can switch it on, see the menus on the lcd etc etc. I tried every setting I can find on the vp and tv, plus changed cables, the works etc. DVDO says 'send it back for debug @ $400!' which isn't going to happen so I wondered if anyone came across this before please ?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
DVDO says 'send it back for debug @ $400!'
If Ken told you that, then shame on him. The bug is known since 2010 - since I told him about it. It's basically an incompatibility with the HDMI chipset in the TV (or it's implementation). I also speculated that the TV's 3D EDID might be the cause. This affects all the VPxx machines and a good number of Sony TVs. I haven't seen it on a Panny yet, but it certainly sounds like the same bug.

There are basically three things you can do: a) connect the VP50 through component or RGBHV instead (causes problems with HDCP sources though), b) run the signal through a HDMI switch or matrix which has it's own EDID management (I did this for some years) or c) put a Dr. HDMI from HDFury in between the VP50 and the TV (that's what I do right now - using a 50Pro on a 2010 Sony LCD).
Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 AM

VP50 for SALE. Device is located in Germany, but international shipping ok. PM me.

PS4, Playstation 3D Display, Bose SoundDock Series III, GoPro Hero 3+, 13'rMBP, iPad 2, iPhone 4s, iView 3500STB (ordered on Amazon)
For sale: DVDO VP50 (FW v1.04)

User Tag List