Lumagen RadianceXD - featuring Gennum VXP (!!) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3414 Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I like to think I am relatively clued up on video processors but I had to read the manual to set up the Crystalio2.....having done a few now I do seem to have a handle on it as they say. It's not intuative though.....at least not to me.

Gordon

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3414 Old 12-24-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post

I like to think I am relatively clued up on video processors but I had to read the manual to set up the Crystalio2.....having done a few now I do seem to have a handle on it as they say. It's not intuative though.....at least not to me.

Ok, I have to admit I haven't really setup a CII myself yet. So maybe I was a bit over enthusiastic about their OSD...
post #183 of 3414 Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I'm a VP newbie. I bought the Vantage-HD and then the Crystalio 2 and I have yet to read either manual. Both are so incredibly intuitive that I could figure out everything simply through playing with the OSD.

What did you need the C2 manual for?
post #184 of 3414 Old 12-25-2006, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Merry Christmas: I needed to read it to find out why it was selecting the wrong video level on HDMI input and to work out how dynamic VXP worked....and in the another case why Dynamic VXP wasn't working as I assumed it would. I guess if I'd just mucked around with the menu systems I'd have got there eventually....but reading the manual seemed a more logical and faster approach.

The BIG clue that these things need manuals is that they are provided in the box.....no one wants to waste money producing unneccessary documentation.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Gordon

Convergent-AV
post #185 of 3414 Old 12-25-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How about does it output 2 different resolutions to two different displays? How many HDMI out and can they be individually configured?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #186 of 3414 Old 12-25-2006, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@jrp
One more question about the inputs and outputs:

You suggest to use external interfaces for SDI Input or Analog Output.

Those interfaces I know that make a SDI-HDMI-Conversion or a HDMI-YPbPR-Conversion are at least about 500 $ each. So that's a 1.000 additional for the Radiance. Do You plan an own solution from Lumagen or do You prefer 3rdParty solutions ?
post #187 of 3414 Old 12-25-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Im sorry if this has already been discussed but what will the tradein value be for those like me with the HDQ? also will there be an improvement in the image on my marantz 11-s1 which already uses the gennum VXP 9351?
post #188 of 3414 Old 12-25-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Already asked and answered but here goes....trade-in will be 1/3rd of pricing....chip will be the newer gennum offering (i.e. better/newer than 9351)...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #189 of 3414 Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Dr. Kimble. From what I know, Lumagen will manufacture (or have made), its own SD-SDI to HDMI transcoder. The existing one on the market that I know of is by Algolith however that won't pass blacker than black.

Manufacturing a HDMI (HDCP protected) to analog output box would violate the terms of the HDMI license. The HDMI folks go after even the offshore boys who have built stand alone boxes. It seems to be OK for them to build projector specific HDMI input cards though. These are more or less available for the most popular CRT projectors. I doubt Lumagen would be manufacturing input cards for CRT projectors.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #190 of 3414 Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 AM

@Mark
Perhaps ther was an misunderstanding on question 2:

My intention is NOT to copy HDCP-protected digitals sources on an analog ouput !! I know and understand the problems and if my idea is to sopy a HDMI signal, I certainly wouldn't do it that way.

What I would like to do is to have the possibilty to record a non copy protected signal to an analog display or recorder.

The Crystalio II e.g. can manage this.

And a HDMI/DVI to analog converter (e.g from cypress) is about 500 $

Coming to my question one, ther is e.g. a SDI to DVi Converter from ramelectronics for about 1.000 $.

And if You need this features, it makes a difference to buy 2 external boxes for 1.500 $ or to have them integrated like in the CII.

So my question is still, if those or similar boxes will be offered by Lumagen an waht will be the estimate price.
post #191 of 3414 Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM

I'm planning on purchasing the Panny 65" commercial plasma screen next year. After reading the Lumagen posts, it seems that the Radiance might be the best VP for this unit. My question relates to audio time lag due to visual processing in the VP. Currently, I pass the video and audio cable stream through my pre-pro Integra Research RDC 7.0 to my 50" Panny plasma (bought in 2001). I haven't had to fiddle with any time lag problems (other than in the very early HD days of ABC when there was a problem). If the TW/Comcast cable goes directly into the VP, do I then direct the audio stream into the RDC for adjustment (which will be annoying due to its OSD)? I've considered upgrading the pre/pro to the RDC 7.1, but hate the negative customer service of IR so much I'd rather not spend another dime there! However, the 7.1 will have an HDMI 1.3 card next year (allegedly - but one can't count on it). Can you advise how I can handle any possible timing problems?
post #192 of 3414 Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
I'm definitely interested on getting my hands on a Lumagen XD for beta testing.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that the Dec. 11 press release on Lumagen's website now is reverting to the XD nomenclature, and it makes no specific mention of either Gennum or HQV processing? At the bottom the legal disclaimers mention both, but other than that Lumagen doesn't specify which processor they'll be using - only that they'll be showing a Radience XD at CES.

Am I completely clueless or is there a reason for these recent changes?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #193 of 3414 Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

I'm definitely interested on getting my hands on a Lumagen XD for beta testing.

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed that the Dec. 11 press release on Lumagen's website now is reverting to the XD nomenclature, and it makes no specific mention of either Gennum or HQV processing? At the bottom the legal disclaimers mention both, but other than that Lumagen doesn't specify which processor they'll be using - only that they'll be showing a Radience XD at CES.

Am I completely clueless or is there a reason for these recent changes?

HogPilot,

Check page 4 of this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9132581

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #194 of 3414 Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

In short, Lumagen is creating a scaler that can have a modular deinterlacing system and you will later be able to upgrade or replace the deinterlacing daughterboard to one that might better suit your needs, tastes or purposes.

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #195 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

I haven't found any mention of it here or in any other thread: did Lumagen in fact demo the RadianceXD at CES as promised?

If so, and if anyone here saw it, surely there must be something worth reporting.

Ron Gomes
post #196 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Apparently it was there, but demoed only to insiders.
Gordon mentioned taking photos, but nothings appeared yet.
post #197 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The pics from CES were pretty crappy. I took a handfull of my unit on my Dining room table yesterday. Will upload them and link later today but my image host site is down just now.

Jim has alot of great ideas for this product. Exciting times ahead.

Gordon

Convergent-AV
post #198 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

post #199 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Do not like the silver at all...hope that this pup comes in black...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #200 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Jim,

You have a huge following here. You have been very responsive in the past. An update of the Luninance XG would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim
post #201 of 3414 Old 01-25-2007, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post

I'm planning on purchasing the Panny 65" commercial plasma screen next year. After reading the Lumagen posts, it seems that the Radiance might be the best VP for this unit. My question relates to audio time lag due to visual processing in the VP. Currently, I pass the video and audio cable stream through my pre-pro Integra Research RDC 7.0 to my 50" Panny plasma (bought in 2001). I haven't had to fiddle with any time lag problems (other than in the very early HD days of ABC when there was a problem). If the TW/Comcast cable goes directly into the VP, do I then direct the audio stream into the RDC for adjustment (which will be annoying due to its OSD)? I've considered upgrading the pre/pro to the RDC 7.1, but hate the negative customer service of IR so much I'd rather not spend another dime there! However, the 7.1 will have an HDMI 1.3 card next year (allegedly - but one can't count on it). Can you advise how I can handle any possible timing problems?

Anyone care to answer this question? I am interested to the answer to this. You have people here discounting the benefits of a standalone processor in favor of an integrated solution like the Anthem D2. Is there a clean solution to the timing issue?
post #202 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 02:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Gordon,

Thanks!!!

VERY VERY VERY NICE DESIGN, IMO!!!

I hope they have it both in black and in silver (I'll take the silver one, of course).

WOW!

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #203 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No readout on the front?! That's a pain as my video processor (Lumagen ProHD) is in a separate room and I often need to switch it on first and confirm the current input (eg if I plan to use the Toshiba HD-XA1 and want the EDID handshake to work correctly)...

The overall design is very nice though...

Mark

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #204 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
What the heck, half of my equipment is black, half silver, so how about two tone?

Are there any lights at all on the unit to indicate power or IR receipt?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #205 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Jim and/or Pat (from Lumagen):

A thought -- have you considered building an "overlay input/function" which I would describe as follows:

-- A composite or s-video input from the pre/pro which would recieve OSD information from the pre/pro

-- Pre/pro OSD information received by the foregoing input would then be overlayed onto the output regardless of the format (i.e. componet, HDMI, etc.) or resolution (i.e. 720p, 1080i, 1080p) etc.

The above would be a terrific and VERY USEFUL function, particularly when it comes to calibrating items such as LipSync.

Over to you...

The RadianceXD will have PiP. You could select the Pre/pro OSD overlay as the PiP input to display this OSD info.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #206 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 03:38 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I assume the Radiance will be able to convert 1080P24 to 1080P24sf??

Yes.

Also, with the latest release, the Vision series will do this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #207 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 03:42 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Kimble View Post

@jrp
One more question about the inputs and outputs:

You suggest to use external interfaces for SDI Input or Analog Output.

Those interfaces I know that make a SDI-HDMI-Conversion or a HDMI-YPbPR-Conversion are at least about 500 $ each. So that's a 1.000 additional for the Radiance. Do You plan an own solution from Lumagen or do You prefer 3rdParty solutions ?

We plan a SD SDII to HDMI box. At this time we are not planning a HD-SDI to HDMI box. We also plan and external HDMI to analog DAC box (but it won't strip the HDCP encryption).

Yes these do add additional cost, but we feel that is is best not to burden each box with this extra cost, when most people don't need these features.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #208 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

How about does it output 2 different resolutions to two different displays? How many HDMI out and can they be individually configured?

The RadianceXD has two HDMI outputs.

They can be on at the same time with exactly the same video timing.

If you had two displays of different resolutions you would only have one output on at any given time.,

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #209 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

Im sorry if this has already been discussed but what will the tradein value be for those like me with the HDQ? also will there be an improvement in the image on my marantz 11-s1 which already uses the gennum VXP 9351?

Trade-in for older Lumagen products toward the RadianceXD is 33% of the retail of the Lumagen being traded-in as credit toward the RadianceXD.

----

The RadianceXD uses the GF9450, which in my opinion is much better than the GF9350. I choose not to use the GF9350, but Gennum addressed the issues I had with it in the GF9450.

Also, the RadianceXD will use the best of the Gennum features in addition to the best of the Lumagen features. For example, we will use the Lumagen no-ring scaling, which I believe is the best out there.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #210 of 3414 Old 01-26-2007, 04:05 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post

I'm planning on purchasing the Panny 65" commercial plasma screen next year. After reading the Lumagen posts, it seems that the Radiance might be the best VP for this unit. My question relates to audio time lag due to visual processing in the VP. Currently, I pass the video and audio cable stream through my pre-pro Integra Research RDC ...

The RadianceXD, using the Gennum, will have approximately 1.25 fields of delay for video and film, when in genlock mode. This is about 20 mS in the US and 25mS in PAL countries. By comparison, current products using the SiI504 and other current products, such as DVDO, have between 55 and 80 mS in US and 70 and 100 in PAL countries, of video delay. The Silicon Optix is about 150 mS.

Most digital displays add one or two more fields of delay.

Generally, from feedback from many people I have talked to, most people do not notice a lip-sync error of 50 mS but do notice the lip-sync at 75 mS.

So, even without running audio through the RaidanceXD, and using a display with two fields additional delay (the most I have encountered driving at the displays native resolution as we do), the RadianceXD will not have visible lip-sync error. For all other processors mentioned, lip-sync can be noticed unless the audio is delayed to match (which can be done by a good quality receiver or amp).

The RadianceXD can do the processing. but will not be HDMI 1.3, so if you want the HDMI 1.3 audio, you can run the HDMI to the receiver first, then to the RaidanceXD.

Hope this answers your question.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page