post #91 of 214 Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan halvorson View Post

I'd consider Gefen's HD-SDI to DVI Scaler ($1049) that does use the Gennum VXP reasonably priced. The downside, of course, is that it only offers HD-SDI inputs and a DVI output. If anyone knows of a reasonably priced (<$500) SD to HD-SDI converter, let me know.

Hi Alan,

I also am interested in this unit. Before this time the only other high quality contender for this conversion and scaling was the Teranex Mini at almost 3 times the price.

FYI it will accept the output from any of our SDI modded standard definition DVD players or satellite receivers such as those modded by Tom Strade of Immersive or JVB Digital:

http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1196

Regarding the conversion of analog sources to SDI, this is where we need to get more info and better pricing...

Also, for those using front projectors, I am asking Gefen in their forums if this unit allows for adjustable porches to enable all sources to perfectly fit the screen.

Cheers,

Brett

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 06:57 AM

Liked: 10
I am a novice to VP's / Scalers... I recently bought a Sharp LC52D62U. The picture quality of the SD Digital channels is pretty poor. I have an HD cable box with built in TIVO hooked up to it currently.

After wandering all over the net I ran into this Gefen product. Given all the expertise out there, does anyone have an opinion or evaluation of the product based on the specs currently published on the website.

Its a new product so I figure it has new technology that can offer good de-interlacing and some of the other features that the more expensive scalers have at a reasonable price. But... that is just the opinion of a novice like me.

I just blew the budget with the TV, so I am looking for a reasonaably priced solution to my digital/ analog PQ issues with the Sharp. Having snooped around the net, I get the impression that I am not the only one with a SD PQ issues with these new LCD /Plasma large screens. I need some guidance... Help!
post #93 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

purple,

I take it you have the Tivo Series3? If so, you might want to try setting the output resolution to the "native" mode. That will create an extra sync delay (while your display syncs to different resolutions), but it may improve the quality of SD channels.

Unfortunately, there is not a low-cost solution that is going to do significantly better processing than your Sharp. In order to see a significant improvement, you need to step up to a solution with Silicon Optix HQV or Gennum VXP processing. Unfortunately, current products with that technology start at around $2000. However, around mid-year, Denon is expected to release its first HDMI 1.3 A/V receivers with Silicon Optix HQV processing for $1500 or less. You might want to save your money for one of those.
post #94 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply... Needless to say, I am crushed by your response. I just cant believe that I just spent all this money on the Sharp LC52D62U and now I cant get picture quality to match my clunker old SD Sony on the digital channels. I am still within the 30 day period to take it back. I cant imagine paying $1500-$2000 just to get digital PQ that I should expect from such a modern and expensive TV. Sharp is coming out with a new 82U in 2 months. Dont know whether it addresses this issue.

I thought that by feeding the Sharp with a cleaner signal provided by the Gefen, it would solve the problem. This is very disappointing.
post #95 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

purpleh,

Did you try setting the Tivo Series3 to native as I suggested above?

If FiOS is available in your area, it offers somewhat better SD picture quality than most cable providers. That said, the 1954 NTSC standard was never really meant for display on 50+" screens. NTSC was designed back when 20" (and less) TVs were the norm. That's part of the reason we have high-definition -- not simply to make the picture look incredible, but to more appropriately suit larger displays which are becoming more and more common.

SD zoomed or "blown up" on a 52" will never look as it did on a 32" TV, regardless of what you buy. But what SD are you watching? The local networks broadcast their primetime lineups -- which I am sure you record -- in high-definition. Cable channels like CSN/FSN, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, FOOD, MTV, NGC, Discovery, HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, and TMC are offered in HD, with others like SciFi and History to follow later this year. Even the news networks are slowly making the move to HD -- NBC News launches in high-def next month.
post #96 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yesterday someone asked Gefen if the Home Theater Scaler would pass the HQV benchmark tests and they originally said no, but as you can see by clicking the link below they revised their answer and said that the Home Theater Scaler will pass all the HQV benchmark tests!

The unfortunate thing is this is one of those products that will always be released in "about 2 weeks."

http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1608

New: 2x Cisco 8642 w/ multi-room. Yes, that's right TWC has a multi-room DVR!!

Old: 2x SA8300HD TWC Navigator MDN 2.4.6-19
post #97 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

Yesterday someone asked Gefen if the Home Theater Scaler would pass the HQV benchmark tests and they originally said no, but as you can see by clicking the link below they revised their answer and said that the Home Theater Scaler will pass all the HQV benchmark tests!

The unfortunate thing is this is one of those products that will always be released in "about 2 weeks."

This might be a real killer the market needs to press down the insane prices from other manufacturers, why pay more than you need to?
post #98 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogarty5 View Post

Yeah, I was the one who asked him to elaborate. Strange that he said no and then retracted that by saying it will pass all tests.. It almost creates more questions than it answers.

If it does pass all HQV tests, though, than I will definitely pick this up.
post #99 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That post didn't indicate whether it meant the SD HQV tests or the new HD HQV tests. Most modern displays can pass [most] SD HQV tests; it's the high-definition HQV tests where they fail.
post #100 of 214 Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That post didn't indicate whether it meant the SD HQV tests or the new HD HQV tests. Most modern displays can pass [most] SD HQV tests; it's the high-definition HQV tests where they fail.

What I was going to say. SD material is no sweat these days. But even $600 dollar graphics cards fail HD tests miserably [anandtech].
post #101 of 214 Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

What I was going to say. SD material is no sweat these days. But even $600 dollar graphics cards fail HD tests miserably [anandtech].

There should be laws against SD broadcasts.
post #102 of 214 Old 02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone else hear that the Gefen scalers have cleared US customs? A fellow from another forum claims that he spoke with a Gefen rep, and that his scaler should arrive next week. I asked if he would post a review here so hopefully we'll have his feedback.

Can't wait till the reviews start pouring in
post #103 of 214 Old 03-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Anyone else hear that the Gefen scalers have cleared US customs? A fellow from another forum claims that he spoke with a Gefen rep, and that his scaler should arrive next week. I asked if he would post a review here so hopefully we'll have his feedback.

Can't wait till the reviews start pouring in

I have one on order but was told by the store I ordered it from that I wouldn't get it until around the 15th.. I'll definitely post my impressions once I get mine.
post #104 of 214 Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage View Post

I have one on order but was told by the store I ordered it from that I wouldn't get it until around the 15th.. I'll definitely post my impressions once I get mine.

I am looking for a scaler primarily for converting 480i from an oppo dvd player to 768 native resolution for my panasonic plasma 50ph9uk. Can the Genfen HTS do this?

I believe the 9UK is only able to accept native resolution (1:1 map) via DVI.

I see the Genfen "Mate" has DVI in/out. Would this model work? Would I lose anything not going with HDMI?

I am also considering the DVDO Iscan hd+ and Lumagen VisionHDP. They are about 1.5 to 2 times the price. How do you think the Genfen will compare?

Thanks
Rich
post #105 of 214 Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpage View Post

3 more days to go !!!!!

I can't wait to get this if it works perfectly!!!
post #106 of 214 Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

I am looking for a scaler primarily for converting 480i from an oppo dvd player to 768 native resolution for my panasonic plasma 50ph9uk. Can the Genfen HTS do this?

I believe the 9UK is only able to accept native resolution (1:1 map) via DVI.

It is supposed to be able to scale to the native resolution of the display it is connected to. So via DVI on your set it should be able to do this.

Quote:

I see the Gefen "Mate" has DVI in/out. Would this model work? Would I lose anything not going with HDMI?

It should work and there should not any degradation in video quality.

Quote:

I am also considering the DVDO Iscan hd+ and Lumagen VisionHDP. They are about 1.5 to 2 times the price. How do you think the Genfen will compare?

I've never used either product, but one would likely assume that they are better given the price difference. That's why the Gefen is an interesting product; it is supposed to do things that were previously only seen in much more expensive products. Obviously we won't know for sure how good it is until objective tests are run.
post #107 of 214 Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 PM

It's 15th now!!!! any sign of delivery??
post #108 of 214 Old 03-15-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Curious to see how this will perform. I'm wondering if it will do a better job than the scaler in my 1080P Westinghouse. What scaling chip is the Gefen using?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #109 of 214 Old 03-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingshen View Post

It's 15th now!!!! any sign of delivery??

No..

I check everyday. The good news is that it is no longer listed as a pre-order on Gefen's site..

..any day now.
post #110 of 214 Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 PM

huh? still no news? their forums seems down. yah, the (pre-order) is taken off from the HT Scaler, but I'm more into the plus version as most of my input is through PAL converted to S-video or RCA.
post #111 of 214 Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 PM

I called Gefen today (Friday) and the person I talked with said the Home Theater Scaler (Not the Plus model) was on the market to purchased.. He also told me the Plus model might be for sale in a month or two, he was not sure..
post #112 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

What is the plus model?

LED DLP

post #113 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Oh I see. The Plus Version adds composite or SVideo in lieu of a component input. For $50 more. I'm just curious how it handles deinterlacing from 1080i sources. I'm hoping it does it properly since the Westinghouse set I just bought doesn't. Although I only have two HDMI sources I'm using with so I can get the lower cost version.

LED DLP

post #114 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

I've been looking for a cheap scaler/deinterlacer/switcher and this would suit my needs perfectly... IF the performance is halfway decent.

I'm sorely tempted to grab one of these and a DVI card for my Panny 8UK so I can get a little native rate action happening, but I'm really not too keen on playing the guinea pig. I just wish we knew a little bit more about the unit, like what chip it uses for processing....

EDIT: Whoops. I guess I should have read this thread more carefully -- I would have learned that it uses an mStar chip.
post #115 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

After a bit more reading, I've discovered that the unit doesn't have discrete input selection. That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. Too bad.

EDIT: Although... if turning the unit off and on resets it to the first input, I could still automate the input selection. It just wouldn't be so elegant.
post #116 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 PM

what do you mean by "discrete input selection"?

the non plus version got minor mechanical design problem, they are giving away free toslink cable to rectify it
post #117 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingshen View Post

what do you mean by "discrete input selection"?

The remote doesn't have separate buttons (and IR codes) for going directly to the input you want. Instead, the remote has a single input selection button that you have to press repeatedly to cycle through the inputs until you come to the one you want.
post #118 of 214 Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM

oh i see.....maybe you can try customizing your own remote control?

but you may feedback this to Gefen so that other customers can benefit in the future!
post #119 of 214 Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'll only have two HDMI inpuits, so this is no big deal for me. It's not for my main HD set so it will work for me. Besides I'm already doing the same thing with an HDMI switch to cycle between two HDMI inputs. This Westinghouse has two DVI inputs but only one HDMI. Which doesn't make sense to me, but I might just have to go ahead and order the Gefen to try it out. I guess when I sell one of my HR10-250 units, it should cover the price of the Gefen. I think I'll order it today. My AMEX just started a new cycle so any purchases made now won't be due until the middle of MAy. What is the recommened vendor to purchase the Gefen from? Does AVS sell the Gefen scaler?

LED DLP

post #120 of 214 Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

I also wish the HTS had more stretch modes. It sounds like the only option when watching 4:3 material is a full, linear stretch. A stretch mode that maintains the correct geometry in the middle and stretches progressively more toward the sides would be a nice addition.

If the HTS could do firmware updates I'd be much more willing to jump on board, but it sounds like it is a closed box as it is. If there are any bugs, you're pretty much stuck with them.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page