Video Cable Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a new plasma and signed up for Direct TV service. I'm pretty secure with most of the installation process, but was hoping for some guidance / suggestions regarding one area.

Specifically ~ I will be running the Direct TV signal via their cable from the outlet and into my home and immediately to a PS Audio surge protector / power cleaner. From the surge protector / power cleaner the signal will be sent to the HD receiver via a single video component (?) cable and then from the HD receiver the signal will be sent off to the plasma via HDMI cable.

Any suggestions on a good cable to take the signal from the power conditioner to the HD receiver?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg54 View Post

From the surge protector / power cleaner the signal will be sent to the HD receiver via a single video component (?) cable...

Actually, you would not be able to use a component video cable until after the HD receiver, downstream from that unit, in the connection to the TV. For the PS Audio unit to the HD receiver, I think you will need an F-pin RG59 (or preferably RG6) coax cable to carry the digital signal. Component video is, I believe, analog rather than digital. And component is actually not single, but is instead 3 cables (unless you meant a single 3 piece cable).

And even then, though opinions may differ, if you have the ability, use DVI or HDMI downstream from the HD receiver to the TV. If your TV accepts it.

Anyway, back to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg54 View Post

Any suggestions on a good cable to take the signal from the power conditioner to the HD receiver? Many thanks!

Even among people who feel that cables make a difference, I don't think they argue that RG6 cables vary much. I've never even heard of a cryogenically treated RG6 cable. Even inexpensive ones will have gold, rhodium, etc terminations and be well shielded. Double shielded? Triple shielded? Who knows if that matters. I just recommend that you use the shortest possible cable. Just preference, and because even if there is little risk to being too long, there is certainly no benefit.

I used Synergistic Research cable, but it was free. I liked the Master series RG6 from Acoustic Research. Cheap. Looks well made. But I think it included a ferrite plug and I don't know about the pros and cons. Never read a review about that cable though. Or you could just make your own RG6 for about $15 with screw on or crimp on terminations. Parts available at Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page