Upgrade Now or Wait for HDTV mandate? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since the FCC rolled over for the industry and pushed back the HDTV mandate to February, 2009, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I currently have a Kenwood HTB-505 connected to a Toshiba 32" tube and a Panasonic CV-51 DVD player, with DirecTV. (I bought the Kenwood and the Panny based on recommendations from this site.) Personally I don't see any need to get new gear for HDTV as DBS charges extra, local stations / networks have a potty selection of HDTV shows, and I have about 450 DVDs (and about 100 VHS). And by the time the mandate kicks in (assuming the FCC doesn't get bought off again) we may well be moving to new digs.
So, my question is should I upgrade now or wait until the mandate? I like the specs on DLP units, but it seems LCD and Plasma units are catching up. And our current family is only about 12 x 14 with a fireplace angled in the corner. I appreciate any coherent and cogent suggestions.
Thank you.

Für Elise  Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no HDTV mandate. There is a DTV mandate, which says nothing about HDTV.

That said, the major networks are all doing primetime programming and sporting events in high-definition. That is not going to change next year. Almost every program from 8pm to 11pm on ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC is in HDTV -- that's been the case for some time now.

Quote:

local stations / networks have a potty selection of HDTV shows

I'm not sure where you got the idea.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I think by mandate, he means the end of analog broadcasting, which would require all standard TVs to get an digital tuner/receiver to get OTA broadcasts. For that to happen, of course, all stations will have to be broadcasting in digital in their current coverage area. As for his equipment concerns, he doesn't have much to worry about.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Funny, but the sjhows I see on the networks are not all in HDTV. In fact, at least here in Ohio, there's at most 15 - 20 hours a week.
For all intents and purposes, the FCC mandate is for HDTV as that appears to be only area the manufacturers are pushing. So the questions remains the same. Kind of like the song.

Für Elise  Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm not sure what you're really looking for as you stated you receive programming from DirectTV. The mandate has to do with analog VHF/UHF users - ie. programming from a rooftop antenna. This doesn't affect cable or satellite services.

Quote:

local stations / networks have a potty selection of HDTV shows

The networks are where 90% of the HD is. You do realize the digital signals are broadcast on a different frequency from the analog feed? Are you looking the right place?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBro View Post

Funny, but the sjhows I see on the networks are not all in HDTV. In fact, at least here in Ohio, there's at most 15 - 20 hours a week.

Wow, your local stations must suck. I checked my local ABC, CBS, NBC stations on titantv.com and it shows 22 hrs of HD from 5am today to 5am tomorrow. Granted, 5 hrs of it is local news, but 7 hrs are primetime 8-11. I'm not going to check more days (that was a pita), but it doesn't look out of the ordinary. In fact, I think there are additional programs in HD that aren't marked on this schedule (like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune).

Certain types of programs tend to be HD or SD. If you like to watch only national news and reality shows, for example, you'll be disappointed in the amount of HD. However, if you like to watch only primetime dramas and late-night shows, for example, you'll probably be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBro View Post

For all intents and purposes, the FCC mandate is for HDTV as that appears to be only area the manufacturers are pushing. So the questions remains the same. Kind of like the song.

I wouldn't gauge the meaning of FCC mandates by looking at what products are being manufactured.

But anyway, if I were you, I'd ignore the FCC and buy an HDTV when there's programming in HD that you want to see. Only you can make that decision.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page