What is YPBPR vs YCBCR component video? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My television manual, below, has 1 input for each of them.

http://www.astarelectronics.com/manu...B%20manual.pdf

I've done some googling, and have gotten some of these answers:

YCBCR is for interlaced video, YPBPR for progressive video.
YCBCR is for digital video (then why use an analog connection?)
YCBCR is for 480p and below resolution.

I don't know how much of that is accurate. The Xbox 360 works at 720P on the YPBPR input. It does not function at 480p or 720P on the YCBCR input. What can I connect to this input?

Both of these inputs are the same, with a red plug, a green plug, and a blue plug.

Xbox Live gamertag: majestc12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Next to a triad of RCA jacks they mean the same thing, analog component video Y, B-Y, R-Y.

Y/Cb/Cr is not quite correct in this situation. Y/Cb/Cr refers to color difference video in digital form. It also represents luminance, R minus Y, and B minus Y except that some normalizing factors have been applied. For DVD, for example the range of Cb is 16 to 240 (in 8 bit quantities) while the range of Pb is something like -0.775 to +0.775 (volts).

Both Y/Pb/Pr and Y/Cb/Cr can represent different resolutions or scan rates such as 480i, 480p, etc. In addition the TV or other device accepting the video must accept the specific resolution or scan rate the DVD player or other source is delivering. Some TV's have one set of RCA jacks for 480i and another set for 480p and 1080i. Some TV's may have one set for 480i and 480p and another set for 720p and 1080i. Most of the latest models have one set or several sets of jacks (each set of which) that takes all scan rates of analog component video. Actual Y/Cb/Cr (digital video) goes in only via HDMI, DVI, etc. jacks.

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jayne View Post

Next to a triad of RCA jacks they mean the same thing.

Y/Cb/C r is not quite correct in this situation. Y/Cb/Cr refers to color difference video in digital form.

Hmm, then why would the 360 only work with 1 of them?

Xbox Live gamertag: majestc12
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Some TV's have one set of RCA jacks for 480i and another set for 480p and 1080i. Some TV's may have one set for 480i and 480p and another set for 720p and 1080i

Read this part again.

De-interlacing explained:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rainbow effect? :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lou
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Also in the early days, some devices with YPbPr component outputs were mis labeled YCbCr.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 PM

I think there's been a misunderstanding. I think he's saying that he's not getting the 360 to work at all through the Y/Cb/Cr input on the TV, it only works on the Y/Pb/Pr input

After looking at your manual and noticing that it does NTSC and PAL I would venture to guess that your tv has been designed to accept any type of input you can throw at it including the rarely found Y/Cb/Cr in order to make it internationally friendly.

Y/Cb/Cr is basically the digital version of Y/Pb/Pr (just because the cable is a 75 ohm RCA cable doesn't mean it has to be analog).They can produce the same resolutions, but one is analog and one is digital. I can't really think of anything that would output Y/Cb/Cr in 3 RCA component video form. Though I'm sure there are things, I doubt they would be of interest to you.

Y/Cb/Cr is usually found only in HDMI, DVI-D, and DVI-I connections. But don't go trying to splice into any of these to tap into the Y/Cb/Cr as the HDCP would probably thwart the attempt.

unfortunately the answer to your question is that that input is more than likely useless
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page