Any experiences with the ASiD Tech 3-In-1 HDMI Switch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an 'open box' of the ASiD Tech 3-In-1 HDMI Switch at Future shop last night, and hooked my HD-DVD, PS3, and HD-PVR to it. All I get is a black screen, with or without the power adaptor plugged in. Do you think I had a dud, or is this a generally crappy switch? I guess, I'll pick up a sealed unit tonight and see if I get the same results.

Marc.

MDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just FYI, I picked up a brand new unit , and got the same results. My Panasonic plasma wouldn't even recoginze any of my sources (PS3, HD-DVD or HD-PVR), when running them though this switch. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to HDMI switches.

Marc.

MDC
post #3 of 8 Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM

I also purchased this switch from FS to hook up PS3, HD-PVR and OPPO DVD player and output to Panasonic AE900 projector.
I get a picture from the inputs connected to PVR and DVD player, but nothing from the input connected to PS3.
I tried a direct connection from PS3 to projector via HDMI, which was instantly recognised by the PS3, no problem.
Tried going through switch again, no picture again. aargh, frustrating.

I then found an open box 2-in-1 switch from FS, forgot name, but original price was $199 but I bought for $49
I connected PS3 to switch then to projector, - instant picture!

So I think the ASid has issues with PS3, darn I need that 3rd HDMI input.

Anyone else have suggestions on how I can debug this further?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 AM

I purchased the ASID Tech switch box a couple of weeks ago from FS and hooked it up using Monster HDMI 400 cables. I am using a PS3 , Rogers SA 8300 HD PVR, to my 52" Toshiba 52hm84 DLP tv. I have no problems. Worked right out of the box, all inputs work great, No loss in picture quality.

A friend of mine purchased the same box recently and hooked up his Toshiba HD player and PS3 player to his Panasonic PTAE-900 HD projector and couldn;t get any signals to the projector.

The only thing that I can say is that I don't take any chances when it comes to quality cables. I know monster cables are overpriced. But I firmly belive you get what you pay for. I think his cables may have something to do with the singal problems. Although when he hooks up the units individualy with the same cables , he doesn't have any problems. So it may be the box.

I heat that the Monoprice boxes are fairly reliable. So you may want to try them out. Or just switch your box at FS and see if it was a defect box.

good luck
post #5 of 8 Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 PM

I, too, got an ASID HDMI switch from Future shop, and had the same experience as others here: a blank screen on the Panasonic TV (I was trying to connect it to a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD PVR and a Sony Blu-Ray player; neither device produced a picture on the TV). I checked the cables, and they were all fine. So it looks as if the ASID switch simply doesn't work with Panasonic TVs for some reason (that seems to be the common thread in several of the postings above).

I went back to FS and exchanged the ASID for a Digi Media switch, and that works just fine. It's a little more expensive, but not enough to break the bank. FS only seems to have the 2-port version (it also comes in a 4-port version), but that's all I need.

So the moral of the story seems to be that ASID switches are extremely fussy about the equipment that they'll work with.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones to get this POS ASid 3 port HDMI switch to recognize the PS3. The big problem I am encountering is serious line noise when I have switched to the PS3 (Screen is snowy and has flashing white bars appearing randomly). If I remove the other HDMI cables and leave the PS3 solely conected (through the ASid switch), the picture is stunning, sharp, clear and pushing the full ability of my 52 inch HD TV.
If there is any other device connected the interference is horrid. You'll get a far superior picture using the cheap cables that came with the PS3. I know I bought mine for the Blu Ray and I want to enjoy it at it's fullest. Needless to say, Future Shop (who sold this POS to me with a guarantee it works) are refusing to take it back, they are unwilling to offer an in store credit or offer any assistance in any way. I am looking at the Optoma 4 port HDMI / 4 port Optical switch as a replacement. Does anyone have any experience with that product?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 AM

Actually, the Digi Media switch is turning out to be troublesome, too: every so often there's a brief interruption of the signal with noise on the screen, sometimes as long as a second or two. I've changed the switch at FS twice without any change in behaviour, so it seems to be a design problem with the switch. It's not a big enough problem to mean that the switch is unusable, but it's a nuisance. It's clearly the switch that's the problem: these interruptions don't happen on my system if I connect the components directly to the HDMI input of the Panasonic TV.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using it with my satellite receiver and computer. I get red horizontal scan type lines running across on the computer screen when using the computer. Don't see it switched with the satellite. However, when I have the computer on the screen get green sparkles and when my resolution is anything above 1680x1050 all kinds of sparkles and interference is evident. Poor switcher but I've kept it because I'm too lazy to return it. Stay away from this switcher though. I'll likely at some future point get another switcher.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page