ABT VRS Precision Deinterlacing vs. Silicon Optics Realta with Terranex - AVS Forum
Video Processors > ABT VRS Precision Deinterlacing vs. Silicon Optics Realta with Terranex
Manchild's Avatar Manchild 06:43 PM 01-30-2007
Is there a consensus winner for best deinterlacer/video processor? If one likes the HQV chipset you can go with Algolith Dragonfly or Lumagen...whereas the ABT VRS is exclusive to the DVDO iScan line. I know lots of folks rant and rave about particular featuresets, but do either of the underlying chipsets have any advantage over the other in terms of raw performance?

Presumably all Realta chipset video scalers should be able to handle the HQV benches flawlessly...do the VPxx video processors?

Joelc's Avatar Joelc 10:40 PM 01-30-2007
Point of clarification...the new Lumagen RadianceXD will be based on the Gennum chip rathere than the Realta chip...and, to be more specific, it will be the Gennum 9450.
TomHuffman's Avatar TomHuffman 12:51 AM 01-31-2007
The deinterlacing performance is very similar. The VP50 offers an enormous improvement in this regard from the previous generation of DVDO processors.

The DVDO solution is perhaps slightly better. The really profound difference is with noise reduction. The Realta-based Vantage-HD offers world class noise reduction and the VP50 has none.
StooMonster's Avatar StooMonster 05:31 AM 02-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

Presumably all Realta chipset video scalers should be able to handle the HQV benches flawlessly...do the VPxx video processors?

Yes the VPxx ones do pass flawlessly on regular tests, but not the noise reduction one (as there is no noise reduction featureset).

StooMonster
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:27 AM 02-04-2007
Which performs better when watching film and video? In real life. No tests on those discs to test and judge scaling. Well, to me, the VP scaling is soft. It rings and that isn't as good if there were no ringing. i am trying to be political here.
steviec's Avatar steviec 09:53 AM 02-04-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by StooMonster View Post

Yes the VPxx ones do pass flawlessly on regular tests, but not the noise reduction one (as there is no noise reduction featureset).

StooMonster

For the best of both worlds try using the DVDo VP50 with the new tosh XA-2 player that has the realta noise reduction.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 11:09 AM 02-04-2007
Why? For HD discs the xa-2 outputs 1080p already. Do you mean with a standard DVD at 1080i? Noise reduce that and then send it to the VP50? Why? The film deinterlacing of both is equal. Really no real differences. Video is close but I think may be a little better with the VP50. But with 480i you have to scale with the VP50 "proven" to ring algs. The Realta scales with less ringing.

Why do you conclude this is the best of both worlds? It would appear to add NR to your chain but at the cost of scaling degradation.
Manchild's Avatar Manchild 06:34 PM 02-05-2007
Seems like the best bet is to wait for the Lumagen...haha...why does all this stuff need to be so bloody expensive?! I might just rather get a 2nd FP!
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 07:59 PM 02-05-2007
All this stuff has gotten much cheaper over the years. Its life that has gotten more expensive.
Manchild's Avatar Manchild 08:15 PM 02-05-2007
Or PQ obsessive-compulsive disorder...which I am unfortunately afflicted with.
Erik_Cdn's Avatar Erik_Cdn 06:45 PM 02-11-2007
Would using a Mosquito prior to sending the feed to the VP50 solve the NR problem???

Also, does anyone think that the Realta chip has more potential than the dvdo, but is just not being used properly by makers of realta based vp's...
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 06:51 PM 02-11-2007
Yes. But it won't help the ringing scaling in the VP50. I think based on scaling, the Realta does a better job. On film deinterlacing both are about equal. On video deinterlacing, the results depend on the tests employed.
Erik_Cdn's Avatar Erik_Cdn 07:34 PM 02-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

For the best of both worlds try using the DVDo VP50 with the new tosh XA-2 player that has the realta noise reduction.

the new xa-2 has the Reon HQV chip -- not the realta with Terranex architecture... this could impact performance (???)
rmlowz's Avatar rmlowz 09:04 AM 02-13-2007
Hello,

I am going to get a video processor for my 12S4 is noise reduction a big feature ? Is it most beneficial with SD DVD?

Thanks,

rmlowz
jeff_tyrrill's Avatar jeff_tyrrill 02:47 AM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Why? For HD discs the xa-2 outputs 1080p already. Do you mean with a standard DVD at 1080i? Noise reduce that and then send it to the VP50? Why? The film deinterlacing of both is equal. Really no real differences. Video is close but I think may be a little better with the VP50. But with 480i you have to scale with the VP50 "proven" to ring algs. The Realta scales with less ringing.

Why do you conclude this is the best of both worlds? It would appear to add NR to your chain but at the cost of scaling degradation.

One clear benefit from a VP50 and an XA2 is zooming in to widescreen, non-anamorphic DVDs. The XA2 does not have a letterboxed mode when upscaling. Then you get the benefit of the XA2's three types of noise reduction and detail enhancement, and part of the scaling benefit.

Another reason to use the VP50 is that the XA2 doesn't have 24p output yet (although this feature is expected in a firmware update).
Up
Mobile  Desktop