ABT VRS Precision Deinterlacing vs. Silicon Optics Realta with Terranex - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a consensus winner for best deinterlacer/video processor? If one likes the HQV chipset you can go with Algolith Dragonfly or Lumagen...whereas the ABT VRS is exclusive to the DVDO iScan line. I know lots of folks rant and rave about particular featuresets, but do either of the underlying chipsets have any advantage over the other in terms of raw performance?

Presumably all Realta chipset video scalers should be able to handle the HQV benches flawlessly...do the VPxx video processors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Point of clarification...the new Lumagen RadianceXD will be based on the Gennum chip rathere than the Realta chip...and, to be more specific, it will be the Gennum 9450.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #3 of 15 Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
The deinterlacing performance is very similar. The VP50 offers an enormous improvement in this regard from the previous generation of DVDO processors.

The DVDO solution is perhaps slightly better. The really profound difference is with noise reduction. The Realta-based Vantage-HD offers world class noise reduction and the VP50 has none.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #4 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

Presumably all Realta chipset video scalers should be able to handle the HQV benches flawlessly...do the VPxx video processors?

Yes the VPxx ones do pass flawlessly on regular tests, but not the noise reduction one (as there is no noise reduction featureset).

StooMonster

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Which performs better when watching film and video? In real life. No tests on those discs to test and judge scaling. Well, to me, the VP scaling is soft. It rings and that isn't as good if there were no ringing. i am trying to be political here.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StooMonster View Post

Yes the VPxx ones do pass flawlessly on regular tests, but not the noise reduction one (as there is no noise reduction featureset).

StooMonster

For the best of both worlds try using the DVDo VP50 with the new tosh XA-2 player that has the realta noise reduction.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why? For HD discs the xa-2 outputs 1080p already. Do you mean with a standard DVD at 1080i? Noise reduce that and then send it to the VP50? Why? The film deinterlacing of both is equal. Really no real differences. Video is close but I think may be a little better with the VP50. But with 480i you have to scale with the VP50 "proven" to ring algs. The Realta scales with less ringing.

Why do you conclude this is the best of both worlds? It would appear to add NR to your chain but at the cost of scaling degradation.

Mark Haflich

post #8 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems like the best bet is to wait for the Lumagen...haha...why does all this stuff need to be so bloody expensive?! I might just rather get a 2nd FP!
post #9 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All this stuff has gotten much cheaper over the years. Its life that has gotten more expensive.

Mark Haflich

post #10 of 15 Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Or PQ obsessive-compulsive disorder...which I am unfortunately afflicted with.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Would using a Mosquito prior to sending the feed to the VP50 solve the NR problem???

Also, does anyone think that the Realta chip has more potential than the dvdo, but is just not being used properly by makers of realta based vp's...
post #12 of 15 Old 02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. But it won't help the ringing scaling in the VP50. I think based on scaling, the Realta does a better job. On film deinterlacing both are about equal. On video deinterlacing, the results depend on the tests employed.

Mark Haflich

post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

For the best of both worlds try using the DVDo VP50 with the new tosh XA-2 player that has the realta noise reduction.

the new xa-2 has the Reon HQV chip -- not the realta with Terranex architecture... this could impact performance (???)
post #14 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Hello,

I am going to get a video processor for my 12S4 is noise reduction a big feature ? Is it most beneficial with SD DVD?

Thanks,

rmlowz
post #15 of 15 Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Why? For HD discs the xa-2 outputs 1080p already. Do you mean with a standard DVD at 1080i? Noise reduce that and then send it to the VP50? Why? The film deinterlacing of both is equal. Really no real differences. Video is close but I think may be a little better with the VP50. But with 480i you have to scale with the VP50 "proven" to ring algs. The Realta scales with less ringing.

Why do you conclude this is the best of both worlds? It would appear to add NR to your chain but at the cost of scaling degradation.

One clear benefit from a VP50 and an XA2 is zooming in to widescreen, non-anamorphic DVDs. The XA2 does not have a letterboxed mode when upscaling. Then you get the benefit of the XA2's three types of noise reduction and detail enhancement, and part of the scaling benefit.

Another reason to use the VP50 is that the XA2 doesn't have 24p output yet (although this feature is expected in a firmware update).
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page