Anthem D2/AVM50 1:1 pixel mapping - a mystery for many? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this question on the the Anthem D2/AVM50 tweaking guide located here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=678260

But with over 4000 replies that thread has taken on a life of its own.

SO here goes....

There's no question that the D2/AVM50 has received rave reviews overall. But I think Anthem should give a little more attention to their "broadcast quality" video processing's most critical aspect: namely 1:1 pixel mapping.

Both manuals, the D2's and AVM50's, mention the importance of disabling all video processing in any source so that the unit's "advanced processing can be used to its potential."

That may be easy in a dvd player, your cable box etc..., but not the case with many plasma display units.

If your display does NOT have a 1:1 pixel mapping mode then I would think that you may not be able to benefit from the full potential of the video processing chip. In other words, you could get double scaling which would definitely be an unwanted process.

So to get to my question, how do you determine whether or not you've reached this sought after 1:1 pixel mapping utopia?

Are there test patterns built in to the unit to do that? By way of example I do know that pixelmagic's Crystallio II offers such test patterns.

I know there are some test patterns built into the Anthem unit but the manual mentions nothing about 1:1 pixel test patterns.

To put this into perspective let's take an example. Panasonic plasma consumer models seem to be notoriously difficult when it comes to 1:1 pixel mapping.

I've read that some resort to using the vga in while other's try to use the hdmi but I can't recall anyone getting 1:1 mapping.

So what's the solution? Any examples, ideas or references, test cd's? Any help might be useful to many people especially given the high cost of these units and wanting to get the most for your dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Panasonics are actually the easiest panels to get 1:1 with. First off, you need to know if the display you have can accept its native rate via HDMi or DVI. Also, the model you have will determine what rate it is sent. Most of the Pannys accept 1366x768 unless you have one of the newer 1080 units.

I KNOW that all Panny accept native rate via DVI, I just am not up to date on all the models and what accepts what but, assuming you have a DVI card in the panel you can send any signal out via HDMI and just use an HDMI to DVI adapter on the end.

That said, if you send it NR then it WILL bypass the internal scaler. Yes, there are test discs that can check 1:1 for you but, send it native and make sure its actually being sent the correct native and its 1:1 automatically.

As far as teh Anthem piece, I have not heard the greatest things about it but, I suppose you arent looking for an opinion on it since you already own it. I do not know if it has the ability to send 1366x768 out. If it does not then you can forget about 1:1. If it does then set it and adjust the front and back porch settings and V&H settings and thats it. Again, I dont know if the Anthem allows for such fine settings or not but, traditional scalers do.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beever View Post

I do not know if it has the ability to send 1366x768 out. If it does not then you can forget about 1:1. If it does then set it and adjust the front and back porch settings and V&H settings and thats it. Again, I dont know if the Anthem allows for such fine settings or not but, traditional scalers do.

It never cease to amaze me when there is a 4000 posts long thread on AVS about the D2, with alot of technical users posting there (and even some Anthem representatives!), and people go ask the question somewhere else, and then someone without a clue about what the D2/AVM50 can do, gives an answer like that one.

That's the internet.

Starting with firmware 1.10, the D2/AVM50 can do any custom resolutions you want with Live Video Settings Editor. It can do everything any high-end scaler can do, and sometimes even more.

It's really easy to do 1:1 with the D2/AVM50 if you know the native resolution of your display. You need firmware 1.10 or more.

If you want more details, just ask your question in the D2 tweaking thread, and Nick from Anthem, Bob Pariseau and alot of others, will be able to help you output the resolution your display needs.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Please forgive me, I am a relatively new member but, is there anything in my post that is innacurate or incorrect? You stated quite rudely that I havent a clue but, it seems to me that nothing in my post isnt factual.

Furthermore, Jim clearly stated (and posted a link to prove it) that he DID ask this question in the Anthem thread but, it went unanswered so he chose to post it in the scaler section. Lucky for him he did because now he got not one but, two replies.

You mention that starting with firmware 1.10 the Anthem can do any custom resolution but, the thread you asked him to post on began in March of 2006 and the Anthem didnt have that ability back then did it? No, it did not. Only in early 2007 was it even implemented so forgive him and me for not having read throuh all 150 pages of posts.

So, you are asking him to read 4000 posts and review the details of each and every firmware update to know what his processor can or can not do but, I decided to do so myself.

The firmware 1.11 was released on 1/20/07, only 3 weeks ago. I dont know when the firmware 1.10 was released but, I DO know that prior to that the Anthem was incapable of custom outputs so, for nearly 1 year the Anthems scaling was crippled by the inability to output 1366x768. Had this question been asked in December, his answer would be different than it is today. He couldnt do 1:1 in 06 but, now he can in 07.

I am happy for Jim that you decided to jump into this thread and give him the proper advice but, nothing I told him was incorrect, as you can see I am not so "clueless" about the Anthem, just not as informed as you.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Beever, Levesque can be pretty abrasive in his postings.

Don't let his pointed response dissuade you from posting here. Most are very friendly.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #6 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

It never cease to amaze me when there is a 4000 posts long thread on AVS about the D2, with alot of technical users posting there (and even some Anthem representatives!), and people go ask the question somewhere else, and then someone without a clue about what the D2/AVM50 can do, gives an answer like that one.

That's the internet.

Good one Levesque. LOL! What was I thinking posting a question question about the video processing section of an SSP on the video processors section of this forum. Nice to see that we all have a sense of humor nonetheless and especially making sure other people still amaze you. Life would be pretty dull otherwise.

So to quote you: "It's really easy to do 1:1 with the D2/AVM50 if you know the native resolution of your display. You need firmware 1.10 or more."

Are you saying that so long as you know (and presumably match) the native resolution of your display (with firmware 1.10 of course), you ARE going to "easily" achieve 1:1???

Bob's response on that thread was the following:

"I use the Pixel Cropping test from Avia Pro, but of course that depends on whether your DVD player crops any pixels. The same would be true for any other source device based test.

My Fujitsu plasma won't accept its native resolution as input. It's native resolution is 1366 x 768 and the closest it accepts is 1360 x 768. It displays that with a tiny black bar on either side of the image. However the results of feeding it 1360x768 are spectacular. The 1360x768 pixels I'm feeding it are obviously being displayed without additional scaling."

Comparing that answer to the test patterns used in a Crystalio II i figured it might be useful to get other opinions on this forum since Crystalio users are not likely to be peeking on that audio forum. Crystalio does use the same chip btw.

In case you want to look at that manual go here: http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/sup...guide_v1.1.pdf

Section 4.6.1 talk about pixel mapping and they gave a tip:

"If you think that you have set Crystalio II to your display's native resolution, yet the images above still don't appear correctly, try using the 'Horizontal Line 50' pattern and making small adjustments to your display's V-Size. There may be a setting where it 'snaps' into focus. Then try 'Vertical Line 50'and adjust your display's H-Size. Once you think you have the patterns in focus, select the 'Overscan'test pattern and use your display's H- and V-Position controls to center the image."

But I was under the impression that you would use the overscan pattern after you've determined that "the images don't appear correctly...."

The D2/AVM50 don't have patterns to allow you to make that determination and Bob's response was to just get the AVIA Pro dvd and use the Pixel Cropping test.

Nothing wrong with getting another opinion is there?
post #7 of 22 Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Jim: The Crystallio has the version 3 chip, whats in the D2 is the original Gennum version 1 chip..big difference and not the same. Gennum has since come out with a version 4 chip which is even better than the one in the Crystallio but, I dont know what scalers use that chip.

As far as sending it 1366x768 I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have never, EVER used any processor that had the correct TIMINGS to send to a panny right out of the box. That is not to say that the D2 wont work out of the box, perhaps the Anthem boys got smart and took the settings from these forums and made it specifically for the panny but, 1366x768 on every other scaler I have used (lumagen, crystallio, dvdo, Key Digital) do not work with the standard setting and require a tweak to front or back porch settings, refresh rates, timings etc.. to get the image to snap in.

Dont get frustrated if the oem setting isnt giving you an image, just ask on the D2 forum for the correct settings to get an image and you should be good to go.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

I realize that these are fairly new offerings from Anthems Statement line but was wondering if anyone had any inisight as to whether these models will have room correction features in the near future or if a new model will be designated.

I realize that the VP forum is an odd place to ask, but I spend more time here.

Speaking of VP, who makes the video upgrade card for Anthem??

Mark Conner
post #9 of 22 Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is not to say that the D2 wont work out of the box, perhaps the Anthem boys got smart and took the settings from these forums and made it specifically for the panny but, 1366x768 on every other scaler I have used (lumagen, crystallio, dvdo, Key Digital) do not work with the standard setting and require a tweak to front or back porch settings, refresh rates, timings etc.. to get the image to snap in.

You can do any custom resolutions you want with the D2/AVM50. It's not a preset.

So it's just a matter of knowing what the Panasonic wants, and then making the custom resolution you need. That's all. I don't know why your posting that if you don't have a D2 to try it.

If you know what the Panny wants, you can just give it to him. But if the Panny doesn't do the right thing with the signal and process it after, what can Anthem do (or any other scaler do)?

Are you sure you are not EricBee, Notanewbie, Cigarguy and all the other alias you were using before making a come back? I'm asking this because all the other times, this guy (that got banned each time from AVS) was always talking about those timings exactly, and for a Panny, at that it was never working with all the scalers you're naming... etc. Strange coincidence...
post #10 of 22 Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post

I realize that these are fairly new offerings from Anthems Statement line but was wondering if anyone had any inisight as to wether these models will have room correction features in the neat future or if a new model will be designated.

Yes. It's coming this summer, and they are working hard on it. They told me we can expect the room-eq feature to be available this summer.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Most scalers have scale rates preset and that way all you need to do is modify them slightly to make them work for any panel or resolution you need.

Levesque are you indicating that the D2 has no such preset rates and that when you select the scaling aspect of the interface you have a blank page with nothing but empty spaces in which you just enter any number?

How on earth would the average user get (or even know what) the front and back porch settings or the vertical and horizontal timings? And why would a standard rate like 720p or 1080 not be preset to at least try it out with the panel you have at home before being burdoned with testing tons of different numbers?

As far as me being someone else, why would I need to be anyone else? My real name is Edward and if you think we know each other I highly doubt it. Is your real name levesque?
post #12 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Mr Levesque I am officially pissed off at you right now and as a new member I am personally offended by the way you spoke down to me and insulted my intelligence on the subject matter of the Anthem and scaling.

I did nothing but offer help and advice to Jim E. and you told me in several threads that I was clueless and had not a clue about what I was saying. I just went over to the other thread regarding the Anthem Tweaking and i was very surprised to find something posted, I will repost it here.

"Has anyone gotten the D2 to sucessfully send out and have accepted 1366x768 to a Pany using the DVI board. It works well at 1280x720 but no matter what I fiddle with settings wise I get no signal when at it's native rate."

Here is the response from Bob Paraseau:

"Not all 1366x768 signal timings are the same. Anthem chose to put one particular set of signal timings into the version accessible from the Video Output menu. Unfortunately for Panny owners, the Panny requires a different set of signal timings. These can be set up as a "Custom" video output using the Live Video Settings editor program from a PC (Anthem software V1.10 or later)."

IS THIS NOT EXACTLY WHAT I STATED ABOVE? IS THIS NOT THE EXACT ADVICE I GAVE TO THE POSTER ASKING FOR HELP?

For someone who knows so much about the Anthem I find it amusing that you dare throw stones at me and call me ignorant when you yourself were dead wrong about the very equipment you own.

The Anthem DOES have a preset 1366 scale rate. It also does NOT work right out of the box, just like I stated I have never seen ANY scaler do. Now posters are asking for V&H settings and Timings, ALSO like I indicated they would because there is no way to find these numbers anywhere, unless someone from the factory posts them or someone has successfully found them after a great deal of time fiddling.

I was 100% right in everything I said and you made me look like an ignorant A-hole and I am pissed off that I actually was apologising to you for my "lack of knowledge" when it is YOu that should be apologizing to me.
post #13 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
This Panny 1366x768 1:1 issue was brought to Anthem's attention by one and only one D2 user. He sold his D2 before he could try the modified software that we sent him for his display, so no one will know the answer to his saga. Anthem's 1366x768 output worked into other displays, and still does.

To say (in post 2), "Panasonics are actually the easiest panels to get 1:1 with." and then (in post 7) to say, "As far as sending it 1366x768 I can tell you from my own personal experience that I have never, EVER used any processor that had the correct TIMINGS to send to a panny right out of the box" is about as contradictory as it can get. Like Levesque, I thought that this issue in regards to the D2 died when the former D2 owner, who said he had to play with 1366x768 timings in an outboard scaler to get his Panasonic to work at 1:1, was kicked off AVS for multiple counts of bad behaviour and the going-nowhere thread was mercifully deleted by the admins. Somehow I get the feeling this one is heading in the same direction.

--------------------

Thank you Levesque for bringing the OP's question to my attention - now to the point:

Cropping (aka overscan):
You can play the gray/red/green/blue test pattern with 20 bars. If the outside bars are narrower than the others, or if you see less than 20 evenly spaced bars, the display is cropping. If you can turn cropping off in your display, turn it off. If you cannot, there is no choice but to live with it.

1:1 mapping:
If you are using a computer-style display, select 1:1 mapping.

If you are using a TV-style display, feed it native res. If you cannot feed it native res, see if you can feed it a higher progressive rate. Some TVs such as the 32" Westinghouse do accept 1080p (and their native 1366x768) through their DVI input but their manual doesn't say it... on the other hand more expensive 1080p-native displays have "1080p" all over their ads but they can not *accept* 1080p.

If the display only accepts 720p and 1080i, compare them and use the one that looks better when watching different shows and movies (a test pattern that does not move cannot help). If you feed it 1080i the display will have to use its own deinterlacer. The result may may be better compared to 720p, it may not - depends on the deinterlacer and how close you sit. If you feed it 720 and the TV scales this to 768, it is almost a guarantee that the picture will lose some detail, but this may be the better choice if the TV's deinterlacer isn't very good (it would have to be pretty bad because even when feeding it 1080i/60 the Anthem already did most of the dirty work, e.g. film mode).

-------------------

As always, I can be reached through the e-mail address in the tech support section of our web site (sorry, I do not have time to check messages here).

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Nick, perhaps you didnt understand my post as you indicated it was contradictory so let me elaborate.

The above poster Jim E as well as the poster on the other thread BillW both asked specifically about the panasonic and sending it 1366x768 without success. I am not a D2 owner but, clearly these other 2 posters are and have panasonic plasmas so, the person who sold his D2 before the software could be tested is clearly not the only person using the d2 with a Panasonic display.

My experience with other 1366x768 plasmas is that they do not accept their native rate, I am fairly certain that not all dont but, some dont. You indicated that the 1366 you output does work with other displays so may I ask which ones do accept your output? That is a genuine question not a dig, I really would like to know what plasmas accept standard 1366 resolutions as I have never heard of any that do.

The Panasonics DO but, they require certain settings to be altered that are not standard in 1366x768 outputs. This is not to say the pannys cannot accept Nr because they can, that is what makes them the easiest, because people have been sending NR to pannys since the day they were introduced with success. Panels like the Fujitsu, for example, cannot accept native rate, neither can some NEC's and few others (LG?) that escape me at the moment.

So, when you state that i am being contradictory, I am not. The panny are the easiest to send NR to but, you must know the correct non-standard settings to make it work. I think the DVDO people actually made a 1366x768 standard output as well as a panasonic specific 1366x768 output but, I am not certain.

Finally you stated that you thought that this issue in regards to the D2 died when the former D2 owner sold his unit but, clearly it didnt. Personally, I dont quite understand what I did by responding to this thread, I have been trolling the site for years and obtained some pretty good knowledge from the good people of this forum. I had no idea this "issue" was such a problem and taboo to discuss, I didnt even know it was an issue at all. So, my apologies and i will refrain from posting on this thread and this topic again because clearly I have offended at least 2 posters and it doesnt seem that I helped any at all. My apologies.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

[Beever,] Are you sure you are not EricBee, Notanewbie, Cigarguy and all the other alias you were using before making a come back? I'm asking this because all the other times, this guy (that got banned each time from AVS) was always talking about those timings exactly, and for a Panny, at that it was never working with all the scalers you're naming... etc. Strange coincidence...

Beever does not post like the infamous Eric Bee. So, don't insult him again by accusing him of being Eric Bee.. I know his posting style well from the Lexicon forum. Beever is not Eric Bee.

I think an apology from Levesque is certainly due to Beever.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #16 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Beever does not post like the infamous Eric Bee. So, don't insult him again by accusing him of being Eric Bee.. I know his posting style well from the Lexicon forum. Beever is not Eric Bee.

I think an apology from Levesque is certainly due to Beever.

No problem. Just like Nick at Anthem, and some other people posting here that did contact me, we all taught EricBee, Cigarguy, Notanewbie (all the same person...) was back. The tone and the subject were the same...

So I'm sorry, and my apologies to Beever if he's not the same person. My mistake. But we don't want to start another war with that multiple personality poster again (and we know he will be back since he's ALWAYS back!) and are maybe a little bit paranoid...
post #17 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

You indicated that the 1366 you output does work with other displays so may I ask which ones do accept your output? That is a genuine question not a dig

Sure. Unfortunately, I am unable to check every display on the market in order to answer that but for an example see my earlier post. No custom twiddling other than selecting 1366x768 and RGB output in menu 8. Worked then, works now.

The Panny-centric sidelining originated from one former D2 owner based on one experience, who had the chance to try software that might have fixed his issue (since there is more than one way to do 1366x768) but chose not to.

If anyone else has a problem, question, comment, or suggestion about making Anthem work in your system, please contact me.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 PM

I appreciate the kind words Levesque, I just wanted to clear the air as a newbie because if I get a reputation for being a moron then no one will ever listen to my advice again. I am glad that the facts are in this thread for anyone having a problem with their scalers.

Nick, not to beat a dead horse but, the only reference to a plasma in your post is a 32" westinghouse and while I understand you are unable to check every display on the market I thought you might have an idea of what plasmas accept standard 1366 timings out of the box. I didnt even know westinghouse made tv's, let alone a 32" model but, if thats the one then thats the only one you and I (now) know of.

Thank you Mr theBland, I appreciate your support.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

lets close the discussion with the following conclusions:
1. Looks like Anthem might have fixed the issue.
2. If there's custom timing involved, you can get the Panny to do Native Rate 1:1 timing, at least with 60Hz.

Everyone nice and calm?

Cheers,
Ofer LaOr
www.hometheater.co.il
post #20 of 22 Old 02-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Hi folks!
I had no idea until now that this query had moved over here.

To the best of my knowledge we've had just one poster (MARKALSTON) in the Anthem D2/AVM50 "tweaking" thread (cited above) who has posted his video setup for getting "native" 1366x768 into his Panasonic from the Anthem Statement D2. Here's his post from back in December with the settings he used:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9081443

There was no follow-up, but based on some posts he made in other threads later, it looks to me like he had success with these settings. In any event, this gives you an idea of the sort of flexibility available in the D2.

These are settings that are entered into the D2 as a "custom" video resolution, using an Anthem supplied, Windows PC program called Live Video Settings Editor. The "custom" resolution then becomes available to select as an output resolution in the D2's own user interface -- in addition to the various built in resolutions Anthem provides. Apparently as of December, 2006, the built-in 1366x768 resolution in the D2 didn't match what his particular Panasonic needed, but he was able to derive what he needed as a "custom" resolution from information found in other scaler-related threads -- most likely here.

I don't know if these settings are "perfect" for the Panasonics, but evidently they are at least very close and could be tweaked as necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On the issue of verifying 1:1, here's a link to the complete response I gave Jim E.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9744728

A little further down he asked about the DVD player I was using to do this. All very civil and certainly appropriate for that thread.

As I said in that response, I think the D2 would be a better product if it included an easy-to-intepret, edge to edge test chart along the lines of the Avia Pro Pixel Cropping chart.

An image that detects rounding errors such as the one in the Crystalio product would also be nice. The test bar patterns that are in the Anthem now are helpful for left/right edge stuff, but not really fine enough to detect 1 or 2 pixel mismatches. And they can't be used to test the top or bottom of the image.

I'm a big believer in eliminating places where errors can sneak in, and so test charts generated internally by the D2 would certainly be better than having to rely on ANY source device based charts such as from Avia. Once you know you've got the output side set up properly in the D2, THEN is the time to use source based tests to confirm things are also correct on the input side.

That said, D2 software upgrades have already shown steady improvements in their internally generated test charts, so I'm hopeful this will also be on the list.

There are quite a few people actively participating in the D2/AVM50 "tweaking" thread over in the amps/processors forum here -- as evidenced I suppose by the 4K+ posts mentioned above. It's a sufficiently complicated device that we are all learning as we go.

Feel free to chime in over there as well if you'd like!

And Jim E., I hope you didn't feel put off by all the other discussions that were going on at the time you posted your question. It was a good question, and I, for one, am glad you asked it. But it CAN be a bit daunting when there are 12 other continuing discussions going by simultaneously.

Hope this helps!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #21 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

As I said in that response, I think the D2 would be a better product if it included an easy-to-intepret, edge to edge test chart along the lines of the Avia Pro Pixel Cropping chart.

Bob. Anthem are working on that pattern already.
post #22 of 22 Old 02-18-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I'm a big believer in eliminating places where errors can sneak in, and so test charts generated internally by the D2 would certainly be better than having to rely on ANY source device based charts such as from Avia. Once you know you've got the output side set up properly in the D2, THEN is the time to use source based tests to confirm things are also correct on the input side.

That said, D2 software upgrades have already shown steady improvements in their internally generated test charts, so I'm hopeful this will also be on the list.

There are quite a few people actively participating in the D2/AVM50 "tweaking" thread over in the amps/processors forum here -- as evidenced I suppose by the 4K+ posts mentioned above. It's a sufficiently complicated device that we are all learning as we go.

Feel free to chime in over there as well if you'd like!

And Jim E., I hope you didn't feel put off by all the other discussions that were going on at the time you posted your question. It was a good question, and I, for one, am glad you asked it. But it CAN be a bit daunting when there are 12 other continuing discussions going by simultaneously.

Hope this helps!
--Bob

Bob,

Let me just say that I GREATLY appreciate your responses and everyone's response to my question. I was not put off in the least. I posted (or re-posted if you will) in this forum because I thought it was an interesting question that may elicit even more responses in a section devoted strictly to video processing. Once again I want to thank everyone for their responses to my post. This is a great forum and certainly one of the best ways to share and learn.

Ironically i have been involved in the A/V industry for many years but more so from a sound perspective rather than video - until recently that is. So if you want to talk about sound alignment and testing I can do that all day. However, video processing has become too important to ignore nowadays.

I am not sure why this thread got a little "testy" but I would venture to say that sometimes it's hard to gauge someone's tone in a post. However, it seems that we're back on track.

Your response was well taken on the Anthem thread and I see from LEVESQUE'S post that they may take your advice after all. I don't think the prospect of having to purchase the AVIA Pro for an additional $400+ to test 1:1 mapping would appeal to the majority of AVM 50/D2 owners, especially given the cost of these units to begin with.

If I'm not mistaken I believe in one of the online reviews for these units (or perhaps it was a magazine review) the reviewer mentioned that he wished Anthem did more with the test pattern section for these products.

Cheers,
Jim E.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page