Best way to upgrade from DVDO HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a DVDO HD a couple years back and I now have the urge to upgrade it.

I primarily use it as a hub for my components and it has component, composite and SVid going in and HDMI going out. Of course it does a lot more than that.

I am looking at my options: Trading it in to DVDO for a VP20, sell it on ebay and buy a VP20 from a third party etc.

My questions is:

Now that DVDO is licensing their chips to receiver manufacturers and it appears that the newer receivers can act as a video hub with A/D and up conversion, should I bother going with a dedicated scaler from DVDO? OR spend my money on a receiver (i.e. Yamaha RX-V2700 which has the VRS from DVDO.).

Am I missing something in all of this?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Williamson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-14-2007, 04:58 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing....

I think later this year there will be receivers with very good video processing (VRS or Realta chips). I can't wait to read reviews on these to see if they are on part with external VP's using VRS or Realta. What if most receivers use Reon instead of Realta, would that be as good?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

bump

Bob Williamson
post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2007, 02:44 PM

I hate to say it, but I would avoid DVDO right now until they demonstrate that they can fix serious bugs in a timely manner and refrain from blatantly false advertising. If you buy from them, at least read some of the VP30 or VP50 threads so you'll know what to watch out for in terms of existing bugs and advertised features that aren't actually in the product.

I haven't been a DVDO customer for that long, but I've heard people say that the HD+ was their last really solid model.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2007, 04:39 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Bob, I have a DVDO IScan HD and still use it today. If and when I feel the need to get upgrade, I will trade it into DVDO. I personally do not like dealing with the hassle of selling / ebaying and avoid it if I can. How many companies take trade ins on older models? Not many. For me DVDO has been solid in both performance and customer serivce. With that said, a colleague pickedup a VP30 and he is happy with it. If I were in your shoes, I would look at the VP50 so you have the latest which will last you longer. As for DVDO licensing their chips, they have been doing this for a long time. It really depends on the implementation. For example, look at Intel, many manufacturers use their chips but it is how the PC is engineered around it that makes the difference.

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 PM

I am mostly happy with my VP50. And DVDO does have a decent 30-day return policy (although I don't know how that combines with trade-ins). Just make sure everything works to your satisfaction within 30 days if you stick with DVDO. If so, you're good. If not, I wouldn't count on the software being patched quickly, or possibly ever (ask a VP30 owner about audio bugs, for example).
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page