Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Daniel thanks for the link

yes, this is a HD-SDI mod for the VP50 to allow HD-SDI input, it is a aftermarket mod

I was going to actually look into this as it would be rather simple because of how the VP50 interfaces with the SDI input, but to be honest I just don't have the time lately to get to it on my bench with SDI and Power conditioner stuff taking up all my time

when the day comes for a DVDO HD-SDI input believe me, I will be first in line

-Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Daniel thanks for the link

yes, this is a HD-SDI mod for the VP50 to allow HD-SDI input, it is a aftermarket mod

I was going to actually look into this as it would be rather simple because of how the VP50 interfaces with the SDI input, but to be honest I just don't have the time lately to get to it on my bench with SDI and Power conditioner stuff taking up all my time

when the day comes for a DVDO HD-SDI input believe me, I will be first in line

-Gary

Any clue's as to whether or not the HD-SDI card will be backwards compatible with SD-SDI?
post #93 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Any clue's as to whether or not the HD-SDI card will be backwards compatible with SD-SDI?

By looking at what little information JVB digital provides about this. It looks like the HD-SDI mod they offer is new and separate HD-SDI input in addition to the normal SD-SDI input, and that it does not replace it. As they mention you will end up having 2 SDI inputs, with one being HD and the other being SD. So with that, I doubt that it is backward compatible with SD, and that it is only for HD.
post #94 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

By looking at what little information JVB digital provides about this. It looks like the HD-SDI mod they offer is new and separate HD-SDI input in addition to the normal SD-SDI input, and that it does not replace it. As they mention you will end up having 2 SDI inputs, with one being HD and the other being SD. So with that, I doubt that it is backward compatible with SD, and that it is only for HD.

Well, I guess that gives you another "switched" input at the very least. Of course, if your HD source upscales well enough, perhaps you won't need it :P
post #95 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the aftermarket mod versions add another input I am pretty sure, the DVDO card would have to replace the SD card and would then do both, but only one input

-Gary
post #96 of 400 Old 04-16-2007, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would think many people would prefer having two seperate SDI inputs like the JVB mod mentions, instead of just one.
post #97 of 400 Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Now, quick, quick. Go and check that 981 SDI vs 970 HDMI!
post #98 of 400 Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo2006 View Post

Choddo, very soon

-Gary
post #99 of 400 Old 04-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo2006 View Post

Now, now, Choddo - patience is a virtue some say
post #100 of 400 Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Choddo, very soon

-Gary

Gary: I'm traveling....acutually not very far from you...in Cincy. I don't have my tracking number with me..I assume the 970 loaner arrived already? At least it should have. Of course, I too am interested in hearing your comparisons.

Let me know?

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #101 of 400 Old 04-19-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ron yes the player arrived safe and sound, and again me and the entire forum for that matter, thanks you for the kind gesture

I should have some comments up later tonight, hopefully before my Wings game

-Gary
post #102 of 400 Old 04-20-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

comments comparing the Oppo 981 via SDI and the 970 via HDMI coming in a few hours including screenshots and images of the players internally and out

I'm pretty sure I know who the winner is already on my setup

thanks again Ron for the oppurtunity

-Gary
post #103 of 400 Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gary: No problem whatsoever....thanks for taking the time to do the comparison. One quick edit before you start typing...make sure you refer to the OPPO model # as 970.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
post #104 of 400 Old 04-20-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

oops

970 it is

who goes backwards in model #'s anyway?

-Gary
post #105 of 400 Old 04-21-2007, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
OK I have a couple of questions.

Fisrt of all, does anyone should bother with this without a scaler and front PJ?
[I have 1080p DLP TV]
If outboard scaler is a mandatory[as opposed one inside my TV] how does one connect those together?
I saw pictures of the mod and the jack looks lke an "F" type connection.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #106 of 400 Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You use a high-end BNC to BNC cable to connect between the scaler and the SDI output on the DVD player

the BNC connection is the best connector in the world IMHO, professional quality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

yes you need a scaler to use the SDI output, or a HTPC with a SDI capture card

-Gary
post #107 of 400 Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

OK I have a couple of questions.

Fisrt of all, does anyone should bother with this without a scaler and front PJ?
[I have 1080p DLP TV]
If outboard scaler is a mandatory[as opposed one inside my TV] how does one connect those together?
I saw pictures of the mod and the jack looks lke an "F" type connection.

You don't most of the time, the sdi/hdsdi thing is used (at home) mostly to go from source to scaler, from scaler to display is mostly dvi/hdmi or analog. There are a few projectors that support sdi but its not normal and also its not needed. Using hdmi between the scaler and a display is enough as long as it allows a 'clean' path (for example 1-1 pixel mapping on hdmi/dvi).

The wish for sdi/hdsdi is mostly to get the 'pure' signal from a source and redoing the needed processing the way we want (or don't want).

Hope this helps,

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #108 of 400 Old 04-21-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes thanks, I understood what the mod is doing I just needed a clarification of connections and necesarry equipments. To me this is simply not a viable proposition, to spend several thousands of dollars to view SD DVD at it's best. I'm rather happy with HD right now.

The Hun
post #109 of 400 Old 04-21-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I really do not understand these type comments, I have a 800+ DVD collection that won't be replaced for years upon years, all HD-DVD and Blu-Ray seem to want to do is release garbage new releases, I shutter to think how long it will be before everything I want is released so I will spend whatever it takes to make DVD the best it can be and it is worth every penny

-Gary
post #110 of 400 Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Same here, at close to 1200 SD DVD's and still counting. I don't see myself replacing them anytime soon. And then with the fact that there is a stupid HD format war going on, with no clear cut winner yet, is not doing anything at all to convince me to commit and buy into either HD format yet either. Right now, having a good scaler is worth more to me than buying either one of the competing HD DVD formats.
post #111 of 400 Old 04-22-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

John yes really dude I just don't get it either, everyone is 100% entitled to opinions and such but I hear many people saying this lately, I understand that scalers and SDI are not for everyone because of various issues, cost and etc. but for example just because CD is out and about doesn't mean someone should just throw out their massive LP collection or concede to playing it on a 50$ POS deck

I just wish I could show everyone wondering about this stuff SDI DVD on my setup

guys, sorry for the delaysi n getting my comparison up, I have had some scalers issues in my HT

thanks

-Gary
post #112 of 400 Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I still have a whole bunch of LP's also. Rough guess is at least 1000 of them. With many of them actually bought back in the 70's and 80's. And out of those, there are probably around 100 or so of them that went out of print a few years after they were bought, and that will never be issued on a CD. In fact I used to hunt down and buy a lot of out of print LP's, and I was successful in finding all but one of them that I wanted. But at least I can still take them out now and with a PC, make a CD from them. And with audio restorations programs, make them sound like new again or even better. In that case, it's like the best of both worlds. Because without actually having the LP, I could not even make the CD from it.
post #113 of 400 Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace View Post

Hi Gary,

...... To put it simply, the Elite was clearly better, and the customer though surprised, reluctantly agreed. He mentioned how the Oppo was so highly rated and how it passed all the "Secrets of Home Theater" tests and was the proverbial "darling of the internet", and conversely how mass market players like the Elite did not pass all of the tests the Oppo did and basically wondering 'how in the world can it look better?'

Exactly my impressions!
I have had several DVD players in here in the past month. The Oppo 981 is currently in place. Prior to that, I had a Panasonic model with DVD writer and VHS player (forgot the model, as I returned it to Costco), followed by a Sony DVP 71HP, and finally the Oppo.

Consistently, the Oppo, running in 1080p, produces 'soft' pictures. It looks almost as if double conversion of scaling were going on, even though my screen's native resolution is 1080P.
The Sony, outputting 1080i, resolved fine details like hair strands, while the Oppo, running in 1080p, seemed to blur the details. It looks exactly like the kind of blur you get when you scale to a resolution other than the TV's native and the TV has to scale it further.

To its credit, the Oppo IS very flexible in configuration and features, so I am inclined to keep it as a secondary player. But all this hoopla over the Oppo seems a bit hyped. It does antialias well, but at the cost of fine details.
post #114 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

the Stock Oppo is not a very good player at all speaking of the HDMI video output, I don't think there is a larger difference between stock and SDI than I have seen on the 981, it is just unreal

I think the point of this is being missed here by some, the SDI mod is a totally different ballgame

-Gary
post #115 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 08:38 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a difference between the SDI output of of two different players using the same decoder? I guess what I'm asking is what/why are the differences in SDI outputs between different players if they are both a "pure" output? I currently get 4:2:2 480i over HDMI with my Toshiba HD-DVD player so just considering my options.

TIA

Rick
post #116 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Is there a difference between the SDI output of of two different players using the same decoder? I guess what I'm asking is what/why are the differences in SDI outputs between different players if they are both a "pure" output? I currently get 4:2:2 480i over HDMI with my Toshiba HD-DVD player so just considering my options.

TIA

Rick: Which Toshiba HD player outputs 480i?

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #117 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

TIA

It depends on what you call a "difference". With the same MPEG decoder chip, image quality would be identical provided the decoders are programmed the same. Most decoder chips have options that are set up by the players CPU. This could induce differences. Also there could be a differences in reliability. Even though the same decoder chip is used, a different player brand may have more system clock jitter that would make the SDI serializer equally unstable.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #118 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really do not understand these type comments, I have a 800+ DVD collection that won't be replaced for years upon years, all HD-DVD and Blu-Ray seem to want to do is release garbage new releases, I shutter to think how long it will be before everything I want is released so I will spend whatever it takes to make DVD the best it can be and it is worth every penny

-Gary

It's simple, some us don't own as many, or plan to buy as many in the future.Specially that 2 HD formats are already out now. Even if they both both go belly up those titles that already been released by then will look much better then DVD ever could. Currently I rent far more then buy, which why I can't justify the added cost for a very small quality incease. I'm happy with the picture for the most part with my current set up.We all have our priorities!

The Hun
post #119 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Rick: Which Toshiba HD player outputs 480i?

Thanks
Ron

Ron: I have a Toshiba HD-A2 but I think they all may have an option for 480i over HDMI. It looks pretty good with my VP-50 so I'm not sure how much room there is for improvement going to SDI.

Glimmie: Thanks as always for your technical input

Rick
post #120 of 400 Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How's the comparo between 970 HDMI and 981 SDI going? When are you posting comments? I'm eager to read the results !
Closed Thread Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page