Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great pre-order price from AVS.

But as a Vp50 owner $1500 out of pocket is out of my range with or without the $500 credit with AVS. Bummer. Looks like I'm sitting out this round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Okay,

Example #1.

You own for the sake of argument, a VP50. With or without SD modules as an upgrade.

You want to trade it in to Anchor Bay for a new VP50 Pro at $3499.

You get: $2000 trade-in credit from them.

AND

$500 additional trade in credit from AV Science IF you call us first. (Marc or me). That's it. Plain and simple.

Example #2. You have no scaler and want to buy the VP50Pro. You can pre-order it from us for $2999 and you get a free gift (the gift rocks, trust me).

Richard

Sounds simple enough, thanks.

Now what about the HD-SDI card? I need to know what the story is on that before I do anything.
post #93 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
Andy,

After the $500 it's $1000 out of pocket.

Just making sure you knew.

Richard
post #94 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Andy,

After the $500 it's $1000 out of pocket.

Just making sure you knew.

Richard

Richard,

I'm usually not this dense but I've had some rough nights lately so I apologize for the repeat questions. So the AVS credit is cash back? Not a $500 "gift card" type of deal to spend at AVS but actually cash back?

Thanks again,

Andy
post #95 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Andy,

no worries about those late nights!

For the trade in you get $2000 from Anchor Bay and you get $500 from us IF you get the coupono code from us.

so to trade in you go

Original Price: $3499
Trade in AB: - $2000
Trade in AVS - $500

Total $999 out of pocket.

US trade-ins only.

You use the coupon code we give you while doing the trade in progrsam with them on their site.

Richard
post #96 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Am I understanding this right?
To upgrade from the VP50, you will have to purchase the VP50Pro directly from ABT for $3500 + tax for those of us in CA + shipping. Then when you return the VP50 you will get $2000 + $500 AVS coupon + maybe something for the SDI card.
post #97 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I think that a "high-quality HD source" will have no ringing nor lack for any detail by definition. A digital control like what the VP50PRO provides cannot create detail that isn't already present in the source. All it can do is mask deficiencies or add artificial detail by way of edge sharpening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

not the case at all Tom

the VP50pro NR, Detail and Edge enhancement controls are a thing of beauty

let me explain, as a user of a CRT projector I am always looking for just that small extra pinch of sharpness, but 100% natural at the same time, on the other hand I hate edge ehancement and ringing , which is the offset of adding a pinch of sharpness, so basically you can't add any details/sharpness without pissing me off

not the case anymore with the VP50pro, with these 2 amazing controls, you can add a pinch of sharpness via Detail enhancement and then take the Edge ehancement control into the negative to get rid of the ringing , the result is a smooth filmlike image with just a pinch of extra detail, it is literally amazing to say the least and this is with any source and I mean any

with the NR, Detail and Edge controls and their positive and negative range on the later two, you can work wonders with any source and that source's material, these controls are not childs play, they are the real deal

the pro is an amazing upgrade over the 50 with all source material, if not why would DVDO bother?

-Gary

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #98 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man View Post

if i understand correctly, hdmi 1.3 will carry extra color bits for an expanded color space.

1) are these bits applicable only to HD or to SD as well?
2) is the new SD/HD SDI card in the vp50pro capable of carrying these extra color bits?

Other than some camcorder material, this is a really meaningless concern. Neither Blu-ray nor HD DVD formats offer the expanded color space that 1.3 supports. At best, this feature is of highly speculative and entirely theoretical value only. At worst, it is a marketing gimmick used to mislead consumers into thinking they will get some image improvement with 1.3 when they will not. See

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Necessary/853

for details.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #99 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hai,

So how can we upgrade our models so fast if the replacement for the sdi is not available ?. Maybe i am missing something but many of us use the sdi input and sounds like we can't use them on a vp50pro as of this moment right?

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #100 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM

Hello All,

We are aware the coupon for trade-ins only gives a $150 credit, we are working on this with DVDO.

Stay tuned.

Richard
post #101 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to mention it again because it wasn't emphasized enough:

International customers will not get the $500 and also have to pay additional $250.

And that just because the rest of the world is not US.
To send the unit back first and then receive the new one would solve the problems they might have, whatever they might be, with international people.

For $750 I can live without a unit for a while...

that's just unfair (and I don't blame AVS!).

Quote:

Andy,

no worries about those late nights!

For the trade in you get $2000 from Anchor Bay and you get $500 from us IF you get the coupono code from us.

so to trade in you go

Original Price: $3499
Trade in AB: - $2000
Trade in AVS - $500

Total $999 out of pocket.

US trade-ins only.

You use the coupon code we give you while doing the trade in progrsam with them on their site.

Richard

post #102 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM

Is there a similar deal through AVS for competitive upgrades? ie...on the AB site it lists $750 for some of the lumagen processors. How are these type of trades handled?

thanks!
post #103 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:

not the case at all Tom

the VP50pro NR, Detail and Edge enhancement controls are a thing of beauty

let me explain, as a user of a CRT projector I am always looking for just that small extra pinch of sharpness, but 100% natural at the same time, on the other hand I hate edge ehancement and ringing , which is the offset of adding a pinch of sharpness, so basically you can't add any details/sharpness without pissing me off

-Gary

Would any of these new features benefit someone with a 1080p 50-inch plasma or LCD, with DVD or better sources? What about 720p or better TV programming?

To put it in another way, is there a minimum screen size below which the NR and EE won't make much difference, assuming a viewing distance of at least 8-9 feet?
post #104 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM

I agree with other VP50 owners that this is really a slap in the face

First of, I liked my iScan+ and now my VP50. It does wonders to picture quality. But...

It doesn't work as advertised. All the bugs, still remaining in the VP50, doesn't get fixed because DVDO's resources is used on the new VP50PRO. Great.

And all the usual trade-ins and money back plans etc. etc. that aren't really useful for International customers are just another way of getting some more money out of us who already paid a lot for the VP50.

It's actually around 5000$ for the VP50 in my country. For some of us that's a lot of money for a product that still doesn't work as advertised.

And then the usual suspects come out and tell us how great the new deal is and pad each others back failing to mention the bugs (that history tells us there are in all new DVDO products). The NDA only allows positive feedback to slip out and then when all of us are lured in and upgrade, the bugs appear.

I hope my criticism doesn't get moderated away... again.

I just feel it's unfair to pay a minimum of 2000$ (International customers) for bug fixes to a product I've already paid for once (yes there are some new features, but that doesn't justify it).

/Martin
post #105 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I want someone to make a list of all the AV manufacturers that come even close to this type service, the list will be short and sweet

most announce new products every 8 to 10 months and tell the guy who just bought the current model to take a hike, no trade-ins, discounts or jack squat

I think its time for some people to move away from DVDO and go with another company , I don't see how anymore could do any better than them with these trade-in deals

-Gary
post #106 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post

And then the usual suspects come out and tell us how great the new deal is and pad each others back failing to mention the bugs (that history tells us there are in all new DVDO products). The NDA only allows positive feedback to slip out and then when all of us are lured in and upgrade, the bugs appear.

come again , NDA's don't prevent negative feedback

NDA's are meant for parties to not disclose info that the company has not already publicly disclosed, be it meaningless or postive or negative, doesn't matter

-Gary
post #107 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_orst View Post

I'm confusued by your message.

We have 2 options (in the US)
1. Pre-buy from AVS a VP50pro for $500 off the msrp plus get free unknown gift.
2. Get upgrade coupon from AVS and order upgrade from Anchor Bay for $1000 and return the VP50.

If the VP50 didn't have any issues I think I would probably justify the $1000 upgrade for the new features of the VP50pro. However right now I would probably be upgrading in hope that they fix the bugs I have with the VP50. I just cant see paying for a bug fix. I just hope they fix the issues with the VP50.

ditto

Support C-band, the only true satellite signal, More information HERE
post #108 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:

come again , NDA's don't prevent negative feedback

NDA's are meant for parties to not disclose info that the company has not already publicly disclosed, be it meaningless or postive or negative, doesn't matter

-Gary

I know what an NDA is. I'm under several myself through Apple and other companies.

Your posts in this thread just seem all positive until now so I guess the VP50PRO is finally the perfect bug-free product we hoped the VP50 would be.

Didn't mean to offend you Gary. I read a lot of your informative posts regarding the VP50 before I bought it.

But, what you write about DVDO offering great service that no other company does and great trade-in programs.. I wouldn't need to consider trading my VP50 if it worked as advertised and without bugs.

So yeah, the trade-ins are great deals BUT we still pay for them. I still end up paying 2000$ to get my VP50 fixed (meaning trading it for the VP50PRO instead of waiting for firmware updates that won't come). Which should be free.

/Martin
post #109 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I think its time for some people to move away from DVDO and go with another company , I don't see how anymore could do any better than them with these trade-in deals

-Gary

I fully expect dvdo to come around and atleast be fair to all visitors on this forum. Asking international upgraders $750 extra just isn't. Last time we pointed this out they came around and agreed don't see why they seem to want to start this fight again. For many (including me) its not the money its that they clearly (with the help of avs) want todo something extra for us but then exclude a part of this group.

Gary any idea on our 'sdi' problem there is no sdi or hdsdi module at the moment for the vpr50pro right?

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #110 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Hai,

So how can we upgrade our models so fast if the replacement for the sdi is not available ?. Maybe i am missing something but many of us use the sdi input and sounds like we can't use them on a vp50pro as of this moment right?

Daniel.

I've asked the same question earlier, what about the SDI module?
post #111 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I want someone to make a list of all the AV manufacturers that come even close to this type service, the list will be short and sweet

most announce new products every 8 to 10 months and tell the guy who just bought the current model to take a hike, no trade-ins, discounts or jack squat

-Gary

You are quite right, I know of few if any that offer upgrades. And for DVDO I thank them for the chance to upgrade for a reduced price!

What I think most owners especially international afd irritated by, is that on previous launches (read VP50) they offered a simple discount which was applied across the board. It was clearly laid out by DVDO so everyone knew where they stood.

This time, a code must be obtained by phone and only for US customers and no official word on the rest of the world. The message which seems to be being sent out is the non US customer isn't important enough to worry about.

If DVDO could come with a statement saying either its US only or they are working on international upgrades... atleast that would stop some of the speculation.

If we int' customers must deal direct with DVDO then so be it... I did for the VP50.

DVDO must be reading the forum... I appreciate it takes time to formulate marketing plans... but isn't keeping customers happy of paramount importance, if only with a simple we're working on it?
post #112 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary - please, take your own advice and chill a bit. Your continual championing of ABT isn't doing your credibility any more good than the unceasing bashing by others. ABT are big boys. They have made their decisions, let the paid employees of ABT answer the questions - they've made their bed, let them sleep in it.

(and if they're proud of what they are doing, let them say that.) -- one could almost wonder if there were paid shills on this board, posting under assumed names. Much like some of the incessant crap going on with BD vs HD-DVD, and PS3 vs XBox.

As for the upgrade path - I only know of one other vp company - that being Lumagen. Last time I checked, they also had a pretty good upgrade policy. Only difference is that I see at least one or more firmware upgrades a week on their site for the Radiance. Take away DVDO's upgrade offer, and the Radiance looks like an extremely viable alternative.

DVDO (ABT?) is doing just what they want. Any chance we could let ABT employees (or at least paid consultants) answer some of the questions?

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #113 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jon, when did I answer any questions directed towards DVDO or directed towards AVS for example?, please show me where I did? I'll give you a hint, it will be tough because I didn't

actually the reason I may be called a shill or come off as one is because I am in this business and see how things go from many different companies, I can't believe some of the behavior on this forum, it's nothing more than being spoiled by a overgenerous company

this is also the last straw for me, you in particular Jon in addition to others were begging for some feedback on the VP50pro, calling me out by name to do so

however small it was, I gave a little and have been nothing but bashed left and right, this hoss is saddling up and heading out of town or in plain english: no more, I am thru, what you got from me is what you got

If I lack credibility here frankly I don't care, sheesh

-Gary
post #114 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I resent that the fact of being called a "usual" suspect. GFY I AM HIGHLY UNUSUAL.

Gary, on the other hand, is so unusual it would be a severe misuse of the word to use it to describe him. GD Bush man!

When one buys a DVDO you get some good, some bad, and some ugly.

Don't expect its track record to change. New products will continue to come out before old ones are completely fixed. Complete fixes take this company long long periods of time and one can only assume they have other priorities for their like any other company's limited resources.

One just has to accept this. If you can't live with this, buy something else. The world is full of choices.

Someone mentioned what happened to the bum on the test disc after he got his hamburger?

He obviously got a job at DVDO heading up the expedited fix desk.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #115 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Jon, when did I answer any questions directed towards DVDO or directed towards AVS for example?, please show me where I did? I'll give you a hint, it will be tough because I didn't

actually the reason I may be called a shill or come off as one is because I am in this business and see how things go from many different companies, I can't believe some of the behavior on this forum, it's nothing more than being spoiled by a overgenerous company

this is also the last straw for me, you in particular Jon in addition to others were begging for some feedback on the VP50pro, calling me out by name to do so

however small it was, I gave a little and have been nothing but bashed left and right, this hoss is saddling up and heading out of town or in plain english: no more, I am thru, what you got from me is what you got

If I lack credibility here frankly I don't care, sheesh

-Gary

Ok, sounds like a plan to me. But anyway, I will say that using NR and edge enhancement on the Nvadia Graphics card 8600GT, works really well IMO. I rarely used such things but overall it does improve the picture, that's on 1080P with a HTPC of course. (RS1)

So I've always been interested in that feature with DVDO, but I was hoping it would be on the VP50. Also, of course there are many bugs still in the VP50 but overall it works well, but so far for me cannot get 1080p/24 to work at all.

But true they don't owe me a upgrade, but $1000 is more than I'd like for the offer too be. I know the dealer price until the end of August isn't much more than the VP50.

Anyway, I'm sure if the NR and edge enhancement can work that well on a Graphics card, that DVDO can do better. But for $1000 I doubt I mess with it, but would like them to keep attempting getting the VP50 working better, since they've already replace it. Yeah, I know, that's normal for them.
post #116 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

The Mosquito NR, Fine Detail Enhancement and Edge Enhancement work for all processed input signals. For example, all of the processed resolutions on the HDMI input (480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, VGA-SXGA@60Hz) can be processed by these new algorithms.

"The Mosquito NR" ... work for all .....

How about other NR ? I dun know how you phrase them, but to borrow some terms from your competitor, "Codec Artifacts" or "Block Artefact" Reduction ? For Relta these only work on SD content not HD. The new Gennum works on both. Does the DVDO one have BAR ? Does it work on HD also ?

Thanks
post #117 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Block artifact reduction works on HD(up to 1080P24) with the HDMI Flea which uses the REON processor. I didn't see it listed in the VP50pro specs but I know with my HDMI Flea I have it set to the lowest level. And I'm using that with broadcast sources. With HD DVD/BD there shouldn't be any need for block reduction. Is there?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #118 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Block artifact reduction works on HD(up to 1080P24) with the HDMI Flea which uses the REON processor. I didn't see it listed in the VP50pro specs but I know with my HDMI Flea I have it set to the lowest level. And I'm using that with broadcast sources. With HD DVD/BD there shouldn't be any need for block reduction. Is there?

does the flea have any problem with HDCp or so ? do you put it in the output of the VP50 ? or just for one input and then be processed through the Vp50 ?

what is the market price at the moment for this ?

i consider also to by me one of these instead throw my money out of the windows and by the upgrade !

VP50 + HDMI Flea instead of VP50 Pro !!!!
post #119 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Coupon code should now work for $500 extra trade-in value.

Richard
post #120 of 5883 Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Block artifact reduction works on HD(up to 1080P24) with the HDMI Flea which uses the REON processor.

I thought the BAR of the Flea is Algolith proprietary not HQV, am I wrong ?
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page