AVS Forum banner

New DVDO iScan VP50PRO

765K views 6K replies 378 participants last post by  bremlerz 
#1 ·
New DVDO iScan VP50PRO

This is the definitive spec sheet on the DVDO iScan VP50PRO:

The iScan™ VP50PRO is the world’s first video processor to be HDMI 1.3 enabled. The iScan VP50PRO converts standard definition, high definition and PC signals from your DVD player, HD-DVD player, Blu-Ray Disc player, HD DVR, game console, or PC to any output resolution up to 1080p.

The iScan VP50PRO incorporates several of Anchor Bay’s acclaimed Video Reference Series, VRS™, technologies including:

Mosquito Noise Reduction - Reduces random noise which appears along the edges of compressed images in SD and HD content

Fine Detail Enhancement – Extracts fine detail in low resolution or compressed SD or HD content

Edge Enhancement – Sharpens edges without adding ringing

Precision Deinterlacing™ – 480i/576i/1080i 10-bit Motion, Edge & Source Adaptive Deinterlacer

• Five-field motion adaptive deinterlacing

• Edge adaptive processing to produce smooth diagonal edges

• Three frame video processing delay (Max)

• Game Modes with very low latency (sub-1 frame delay, 2 frame delay with Edge adaptive processing)

• Arbitrary cadence detection (any:any) to detect non-standard cadences in input signals.

o Reliable 2:2 pull-down detection for 50Hz countries

o Detection of 2:2 to/from 3:2 crossfades and out of phase 3:2 crossfades

o Detection of multiple source types within a frame for example video titles over film

o Bad edit detection and compensation to minimize artifacts caused by sequence breaks in film content

PReP™ - Progressive ReProcessing of 480p, 576p and 1080p input signals allows poor deinterlacing of any source to be undone and done correctly using Precision Deinterlacing™.

Precision Video Scaling II™ -10-bit Scaling up to 1080p

Progressive Cadence Detection™ of 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p input signals – Allows source-locked framerate output of film-based content (24/48/72Hz)

Rightrate™ – High-Performance Framerate Conversion which enables 24/48/72Hz or 25/50/75Hz output of film-based content. Outputs include 1080p-24 and 1080p-48.

Precision Gamma Correction™ - Individual R/G/B Adjustments

Precision A/V Lipsync™ - Intelligent digital audio delay technology to match Audio and Video timing

AutoVFR™ – Intelligent Component Video Inputs with Automatic Video Format Routing

AutoCUE-C™ – Automatic Chroma Upsampling Error detection and correction

• THX Video Certification - The World's First and Only Video Processor to earn this certification

• ISF ccc Day/Night Modes

• 4 HDMI 1.3 Inputs which process 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p-50/60, 1080i-50/60, 1080p-24/25/50/60, and VGA-SXGA@60Hz signals

• Analog HD Transcoding and Processing

Input Aspect Ratio Controls

•Presets: 4:3 full frame, 4:3 letterbox, Panorama (non-linear stretch), 16:9 full frame or user-defined aspect ratio (10)

•Flexible Horizontal and Vertical Zooming & Panning controls

•Overscan Adjustment per input

Output Aspect Ratio Controls

•Presets: 4:3, 16:9, 2.35:1 or custom output aspect ratio

•Separate Display/Lens/Screen Adjustments

•Underscan Adjustment to eliminate Overscan inherent in a display

•Panamorph Mode 1 and Mode 2 compliant

10 User-Defined 'Display Profiles' – For multiple display, framerate, and image shift configurations

•10-bit 300MHz Instrumentation Quality DACs (2x Oversampling for 1080p)

•Full-frame Timebase Correction

•High performance, multi-standard video decoder (10-bit: 480i/576i; 12-bit: 480p/576p/720p/1080i)

•High-quality super-adaptive comb filter with 2D Y/C separation

•Flexible Digital and Analog Audio switching and routing – 4 HDMI audio/video inputs, 5 assignable audio inputs (4 digital, 1 analog) with 1 HDMI audio/video output and 2 active digital audio outputs.

•Software Upgradeable

• Predefined output resolutions for Plasma, DLP, LCD, LCOS, and CRT-based displays:

480p (720x480)

576p (720x576)

720p (1280x720)

1080i (1920x1080)

1080p (1920x1080)

VGA (640x480)

SVGA (800x600)

XGA (1024x768)

SXGA (1280x1024)

848x600

852x480

1024x576

1024x1024 (ALIS)

1280x768

1280x960

1365x1024

1366x768

1365x768

1400x788

1400x1050

1440x960

1440x1152

• User customizable output resolution from 480p (720x480) to 1080p (1920x1080)

Technical Specifications

Inputs

Twelve Video Inputs Available

• Two Composite (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)

• Two S-Video (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)

• Two Component (YPbPr or RGB/S) processes 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i

• One RGBHV/Component (BNC-style connectors) processes 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA@60Hz

• Four HDMI 1.3 processes 480i/p, 576 i/p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p-50/60, VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA@60Hz

Nine Audio Inputs

• Four HDMI (HDMI v1.3)

• Two Coaxial Digital

• Two Optical Digital

• One Analog Pair (L/R)

Outputs

One Analog Video Output

• Using High Quality BNC-style connectors

• Configurable for YPbPr, RGBHV, RGB/S, or RGB

One Digital Audio/Video Output

• Using HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) connector

• Configurable for YCbCr or RGB

• Also carries audio (HDMI v1.3)

Two Digital Audio Outputs

• One Coaxial Digital

• One Optical Digital

Controls

Front Panel

• Infrared remote control with direct access codes or manual controls on front panel

• Functions accessible via either On Screen Display (OSD) or 2 line, 20 character front-panel LED display

• RS232 port for software downloads and automation.

• Fully programmable controls for each separate video input with non-volatile memories:

- Automatic input source detection & input priority selection

- Picture controls with memory for each input: Fine Detail, Edge Enhancement, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Hue, Y/C Delay, CUE-Correction

• Output Controls: Analog/Digital, Format/Resolution, Aspect Ratio, Sync Type, Colorspace (RGB or YPbPr), Frame Lock, Display Profiles (10)

• 35 Built-in test patterns for ease of set up

Power

• Universal AC mains input: 100 – 240 VAC @ 50-60 Hz

• Consumption

See less See more
#78 ·
Guys relax. DVDO is working on all the details of trades, sdi etc. Give them a chance to figure out what they will do and then they will post the details.

#79 ·

Quote:
Presumably, on less-than-perfect SD sources that would benefit from noise reduction and detail enhancement the answer would be "yes". On high-quality HD sources the answer would probably be "no".

Some of the new features are nice to have, but if it's not going to be an improvement on the HD side, I don't see the reason to upgrade.

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_B /forum/post/0

On previous early-bird upgrades the discount offered has been applicable across all continents not just the US.

Shipping to someone in the US is fine, if you know someone there.

...and if you have someone in the US willing to forward it on, as soon as it hits the UK we've around an extra 25% to pay on the full amount to cover Import Duty, VAT and Customs admin fees.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/0

Presumably, on less-than-perfect SD sources that would benefit from noise reduction and detail enhancement the answer would be "yes". On high-quality HD sources the answer would probably be "no".

not the case at all Tom

the VP50pro NR, Detail and Edge enhancement controls are a thing of beauty

let me explain, as a user of a CRT projector I am always looking for just that small extra pinch of sharpness, but 100% natural at the same time, on the other hand I hate edge ehancement and ringing
, which is the offset of adding a pinch of sharpness, so basically you can't add any details/sharpness without pissing me off

not the case anymore with the VP50pro, with these 2 amazing controls, you can add a pinch of sharpness via Detail enhancement and then take the Edge ehancement control into the negative to get rid of the ringing
, the result is a smooth filmlike image with just a pinch of extra detail, it is literally amazing to say the least and this is with any source and I mean any

with the NR, Detail and Edge controls and their positive and negative range on the later two, you can work wonders with any source and that source's material, these controls are not childs play, they are the real deal

the pro is an amazing upgrade over the 50 with all source material, if not why would DVDO bother?

-Gary

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

not the case at all Tom

let me explain, as a user of a CRT projector I am always looking for just that small extra pinch of sharpness, but 100% natural at the same time, on the other hand I hate edge ehancement and ringing
, which is the offset of adding a pinch of sharpness, so basically you can't add any details/sharpness without pissing me off

not the case anymore with the VP50pro, with these 2 amazing controls, you can add a pinch of sharpness via Detail enhancement and then take the Edge ehancement control into the negative to get rid of the ringing
, the result is a smooth filmlike image with just a pinch of extra detail, it is literally amazing to say the least and this is with any source and I mean any

with the NR, Detail and Edge controls and their positive and negative range on the later two, you can work wonders with any source and that source's material, these controls are not childs play, they are the real deal

-Gary

sounds nice.....any chance your NDA would let you post pictures?

#83 ·

Quote:

not the case at all Tom

the pro is an amazing upgrade over the 50 with all source material, if not why would DVDO bother?

-Gary

So Gary, you can actually get rid of EE that is inherent in the source or the display?

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man /forum/post/0

sounds nice.....any chance your NDA would let you post pictures?

you mean some screenshots
nothing wrong with that

-NEC XG 1352LC

-2.40:1 Draper Cineperm Cinemascope Screen 34.5" x 83" from AVS

-1920x800p output resolution, using the process I described above:

T2 Special Ed. HD-DVD

Broken Arrow BD

Last Samurai HD-DVD

-Gary

#86 ·
Guys,

We are working with DVDO on US pre-orders and US trade-ins only. That was a decision from DVDO, not from AV Science. DVDO has their own mechanism for dealing with international trade-ins and orders.

Also, the $400 coupon is for pre-orders, once you pre-orer with us, you'll receive your gift. It's worth it! The $500 trade in extra credit is from AV Science and is for trade-ins. in order to get the $500 extra trade-in credit, you must call us.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion!

Richard

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard /forum/post/0

Guys,

We are working with DVDO on US pre-orders and US trade-ins only. That was a decision from DVDO, not from AV Science. DVDO has their own mechanism for dealing with international trade-ins and orders.

Also, the $400 coupon is for pre-orders, once you pre-orer with us, you'll have $400 to use on another purchase from AV Science. The $500 trade in extra credit is from AV Science and is for trade-ins. in order to get the $500 extra trade-in credit, you must call us.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion!

Richard

So for trade ins its MSRP of $3499 minus our VP50 trade credit from DVDO. And we get $500 from AV Science. SO it's $1499 to trade in to DVDO. BUT we get a $500 credit from AV Science?

Andy

#90 ·
Okay,

Example #1.

You own for the sake of argument, a VP50. With or without SD modules as an upgrade.

You want to trade it in to Anchor Bay for a new VP50 Pro at $3499.

You get: $2000 trade-in credit from them.

AND

$500 additional trade in credit from AV Science IF you call us first. (Marc or me). That's it. Plain and simple.

Example #2. You have no scaler and want to buy the VP50Pro. You can pre-order it from us for $2999 and you get a free gift (the gift rocks, trust me).

Richard

#92 ·

Quote:

Okay,

Example #1.

You own for the sake of argument, a VP50. With or without SD modules as an upgrade.

You want to trade it in to Anchor Bay for a new VP50 Pro at $3499.

You get: $2000 trade-in credit from them.

AND

$500 additional trade in credit from AV Science IF you call us first. (Marc or me). That's it. Plain and simple.

Example #2. You have no scaler and want to buy the VP50Pro. You can pre-order it from us for $2999 and you get a free gift (the gift rocks, trust me).

Richard

Sounds simple enough, thanks.

Now what about the HD-SDI card? I need to know what the story is on that before I do anything.

#94 ·

Quote:

Andy,

After the $500 it's $1000 out of pocket.

Just making sure you knew.

Richard

Richard,

I'm usually not this dense but I've had some rough nights lately so I apologize for the repeat questions. So the AVS credit is cash back? Not a $500 "gift card" type of deal to spend at AVS but actually cash back?

Thanks again,

Andy

#95 ·
Andy,

no worries about those late nights!

For the trade in you get $2000 from Anchor Bay and you get $500 from us IF you get the coupono code from us.

so to trade in you go

Original Price: $3499

Trade in AB: - $2000

Trade in AVS - $500

Total $999 out of pocket.

US trade-ins only.

You use the coupon code we give you while doing the trade in progrsam with them on their site.

Richard

#96 ·
Am I understanding this right?

To upgrade from the VP50, you will have to purchase the VP50Pro directly from ABT for $3500 + tax for those of us in CA + shipping. Then when you return the VP50 you will get $2000 + $500 AVS coupon + maybe something for the SDI card.

#97 ·
I think that a "high-quality HD source" will have no ringing nor lack for any detail by definition. A digital control like what the VP50PRO provides cannot create detail that isn't already present in the source. All it can do is mask deficiencies or add artificial detail by way of edge sharpening.

Quote:

not the case at all Tom

-Gary

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat6man /forum/post/0

if i understand correctly, hdmi 1.3 will carry extra color bits for an expanded color space.

1) are these bits applicable only to HD or to SD as well?

2) is the new SD/HD SDI card in the vp50pro capable of carrying these extra color bits?

Other than some camcorder material, this is a really meaningless concern. Neither Blu-ray nor HD DVD formats offer the expanded color space that 1.3 supports. At best, this feature is of highly speculative and entirely theoretical value only. At worst, it is a marketing gimmick used to mislead consumers into thinking they will get some image improvement with 1.3 when they will not. See

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Necessary/853

for details.

#99 ·
Hai,

So how can we upgrade our models so fast if the replacement for the sdi is not available ?. Maybe i am missing something but many of us use the sdi input and sounds like we can't use them on a vp50pro as of this moment right?

Daniel.

#101 ·
I have to mention it again because it wasn't emphasized enough:

International customers will not get the $500 and also have to pay additional $250.

And that just because the rest of the world is not US.

To send the unit back first and then receive the new one would solve the problems they might have, whatever they might be, with international people.

For $750 I can live without a unit for a while...

that's just unfair (and I don't blame AVS!).

Quote:

Andy,

no worries about those late nights!

For the trade in you get $2000 from Anchor Bay and you get $500 from us IF you get the coupono code from us.

so to trade in you go

Original Price: $3499

Trade in AB: - $2000

Trade in AVS - $500

Total $999 out of pocket.

US trade-ins only.

You use the coupon code we give you while doing the trade in progrsam with them on their site.

Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.