Denon Video Processor - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 953 Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I noticed above someone tried 1080p24 with sports and didn't like it. This is expected as sports are typicalmostly video and do not have a 24 frame per second cadence to process. If you stick to film based material when using 24P you won't be disappointed and the Denon 602 is super smooth and rickety solid with 24P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 953 Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I noticed above someone tried 1080p24 with sports and didn't like it. This is expected as sports are typicalmostly video and do not have a 24 frame per second cadence to process. If you stick to film based material when using 24P you won't be disappointed and the Denon 602 is super smooth and rickety solid with 24P.

Uh . . . sure you mean to say "rickety"?
post #933 of 953 Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant to say rock solid as in very smooth and stable cadence like what you would see in a theater. The typos are courtesy of a Samsung Droid Charge and its awful keyboard, which miss-interprets what I type and corrects incorrectly most of the time.
post #934 of 953 Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

You darn yooting ah ment rickety as in rockety soolid... Yiu know rockey rickey sokid... ah hopes its ckear to yius now

OK, Cletus, got it.
post #935 of 953 Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry
post #936 of 953 Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The other day I turned on my tv, Cisco cable box and Denon 602CI, but no picture was displayed on the tv. I looked at the display on the front of the Denon and it showed 1080i --> 576p. I thought to myself how did it get set to output 576p? I looked in the manual and it said if this happens to make sure the unit is set to NTSC, not PAL. My unit was set to NTSC.

So I called Denon. They thought it might be HDMI related so they asked me to unconnect the Denon, the Cisco cable box and the tv(which is on the wall), power them off for 10 minutes and reconnect them. If that didn't work, then call them back.

It didn't work.

So I called them again and they walked me through how to perform a hard reset on the unit(I think I held the Setup and Return buttons on the front of the unit simultaneously until all the lights on the front panel blinked).

The hard reset didn't work either.

I disconnected the cable box from the Denon so there were no inputs into the Denon, only an HDMI cable from the Denon to my Sony XBR5 tv. The on screen gui should appear on the Sony when there are no inputs, correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions short of sending my unit to Denon? I purchased mine through the AVS buy last year and have enjoyed the picture improvement to my bit starved Time Warner Cable signal so any advice forum members can provide is appreciated.

EDIT: Right before I posted this message, I tried connecting my Denon directly to the tv one last time. The on screen gui still didn't appear, but I decided to power off the unit and try HDMI output/monitor 2 and guess what?!? The onscreen gui appeared! I guess HDMI output/monitor 1 on my unit went bad.

I will call Denon tomorrow to confirm, but I have a feeling my unit is going in for repair.
post #937 of 953 Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My hdmi outputs oddly went bad, but its just 4,5,6, Hdmi out 1 and 2, and hdmi 1,2,3, still work.

Since thats all i was using i declinded to pay shipping and go without.
post #938 of 953 Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM

I seem to be having a weird problem with my denon 602. When watching standard definition programs, I notice a lot of clay-facing and image streaking. This issue does not arise while watching high definition pictures. When I switched the 602 with the edge, the problem disappears (which suggests that the issue is with the denon).

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on dealing with this problem would be appreciated
post #939 of 953 Old 08-06-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinbrao View Post

I seem to be having a weird problem with my denon 602. When watching standard definition programs, I notice a lot of clay-facing and image streaking. This issue does not arise while watching high definition pictures. When I switched the 602 with the edge, the problem disappears (which suggests that the issue is with the denon).

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on dealing with this problem would be appreciated

What were you watching? Could be the source material.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #940 of 953 Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 PM

It happens when I watch dish network. The problem persists across all SD channels
post #941 of 953 Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . The problem persists across all SD channels

So stop watching SD channels. . . .
(Sorry: couldn't resist. But we quit watching SDTV. DVDs are another matter. . . )

You really haven't provided enough information:

1. Do you have the same material going through the two processors? (For example, it is recorded?) How do DVDs look?
2. Do you have comparable input and output settings on the two processors?
post #942 of 953 Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post
So stop watching SD channels. . . .
(Sorry: couldn't resist. But we quit watching SDTV. DVDs are another matter. . . )

You really haven't provided enough information:

1. Do you have the same material going through the two processors? (For example, it is recorded?) How do DVDs look?
2. Do you have comparable input and output settings on the two processors?
lsarver:

The problem only shows up on the denon (the same material when passed through the edge does not show streaking). Changing output on the denon from 720 to 1080 or vice versa does not result in any visible improvement. The same is true regarding noise reduction settings (the problem persists at all noise reduction settings).

I have not seen a sd-dvd for ages, but sd-video from roku seemed to be fine. Most of the problems seem to arise while watching south asian channels (I watch the remaining channels in HD)

Its hard to compare the input and output settings of the two processors. I have matched the output resolution and color space while the input video comes in at 480i and 4:2:2
post #943 of 953 Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lsarver:

The problem only shows up on the denon (the same material when passed through the edge does not show streaking). Changing output on the denon from 720 to 1080 or vice versa does not result in any visible improvement. The same is true regarding noise reduction settings (the problem persists at all noise reduction settings).

I have not seen a sd-dvd for ages, but sd-video from roku seemed to be fine. Most of the problems seem to arise while watching south asian channels (I watch the remaining channels in HD)

Its hard to compare the input and output settings of the two processors. I have matched the output resolution and color space while the input video comes in at 480i and 4:2:2
The content wouldn't by any chance be anime? Perhaps the odd cadences are giving the Realta fits? Are you getting combing?

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #944 of 953 Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

The content wouldn't by any chance be anime? Perhaps the odd cadences are giving the Realta fits?

Good point! ABT processors are supossed to be especially adept with odd cadences.
post #945 of 953 Old 08-11-2011, 04:02 PM

The programming is not Anime. Its mostly bollywood movies. The broadcast standard in India is PAL. Could the problem be related to the the PAL to NTSC conversion required for the US broadcast?
post #946 of 953 Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, very likely.
post #947 of 953 Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a Denon DVP-602ci processor, of course in perfect condition, anyone have it for sale? I live in Italy but I'm available to receive from everywhere
Contact me if you have one to sell
post #948 of 953 Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought two back in 2010 from Jason at AVS and they are still amazing to my eyes.... The build quality is just amazing and hope they will last a good long time. The PQ is amazing...My previous VP left a lot to be desired in terms of build quality and reliability. I'll never go down that route again.
post #949 of 953 Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hope there are 602 owners still subscribed to this thread. I am having a problem where my 602 drops the Optical 1 audio connection when changing from HDMI 1 to Component 1 and back. Basically, I am using Optical 1 for both my Directv HDMI input and my Directv Component input. I'm doing this because my JVC RS40 projector hooked to HDMI 1 was having handshake problems so the factory tech suggested bypassing the 602 to see if that made any difference. It did. No more handshake issues. However, by doing this I have to use the component out of the Directv receiver for my second TV in the room and this seems to create the audio setting change in the Denon. My audio receiver is non-HDMI so I have to use optical for all audio and the 602 seems to have a problem sharing Optical 1 simultaneously or in sequence between the two different inputs, HDMI 1 and Component 1. When I go into setup after switching back to either input I must go to Source Select/HDMI1/Optical and select Optical1 as the setting had reverted to None after having switched from HDMI to Component. There must be a way to lock these in to prevent this. Any knowledge or experience here?

Sorry for the messy explanation. There is probably a simple method that I am missing.

Jack
post #950 of 953 Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately you're out of luck (best I can tell from messing with my 602)... The Denon is another in a long line of brain dead dumb vp/avr firmware implementations that restricts an audio (and/or video) connection to be assigned to one and only one configurable input. With the Denon, if you pick an optical audio for a video input and the same optical audio input is already picked for another video input it will set the other video inputs audio selection to none (i.e. it will not allow you to assign, for example, optical one to both component 1 and component 2).

Amazing to me that in this day and age these silly restrictions are still enforced by most AVR/VP implementations (granted, it maybe due to hardware constraints/implementations in some boxes but I'm guessing for most the restriction was simply a poor software/firmware implementation choice).
post #951 of 953 Old 06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. Guess I will have to live with the handshake problem on my projector. Will be dropping it off at JVC on Wednesday to see if they can impact handshaking with EC or firmware change.

Jack
post #952 of 953 Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musk771 View Post

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Denon DVP-602ci processor, of course in perfect condition, anyone have it for sale? I live in Italy but I'm available to receive from everywhere

For anyone who hasn't dealt with the Italian post office--they are notorious for losing items. And your recourse--even with insurance--is next to zero. Just something to consider when doing business abroad.
post #953 of 953 Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
How does the excellent noise reduction (with virtually invisible negative effects) on the 602ci compare to what the Lumagen Mini 3D gives you in that area? I may ultimately go to the latter with the auto cal Chromapure bundle. But I would hate to lose the Denon's NR if the Mini is not as good, for cable when needed. Guess I could keep it in line as a switcher feeding the Lumagen.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page