Gefen TV Scaler Pro with Realta - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 432 Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Having just the Realta chip does not make it a great scaler, it all depends on how Gefen will implement it. If Gefen's record with their current scalers is any indication, I don't have much faith in them considering the fact that it has been stated that Realta is harder to program, but I will be glad to be proven wrong as I am eagerly waiting for this scaler.

Vinod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 432 Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
someone needs to get one of these hooked up to a dvd player outputting 480i and put it next to the new denon 3800BDCI playing the same SD DVD and see how the image compares!
post #93 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Again from what I understand those hqv alithograms (sp) are included on the chip already by silicon optix. They come with the chip, while people can add there own as well, I was reading an interview with one of the guys at silicon optix and he stated he was baffled when they hand them these chips and some companies dont use there programming. It looks like all silicon optix hqv programming will be on there. That is I believe how it works.

Regardless once again this unit is just marketed by gefen, but is being put together by cypress.

Either I am wrong or the people on the forum are wrong, after reading this also about the realta on silicon optix hqv website

"Connectivity and networking are accomplished with an on-chip PCI interface allowing platforms built with Realta to be fully software upgraded and re-programmed via Web access. New video processing algorithms can be downloaded to Realta products that are in the field, thus future proofing the display and ensuring that the user viewing experience is fully optimized."

So again from what I understand the realta chip will come with silicon optix processes which can be seen below, but is upgradable and can be fully programmed for future additions and algos that could be added.

And the features of the realta chip
http://www.siliconoptix.com/products...tafeatures.cfm

All those features of hqv on realta website are on gefens pdf exactly the same, I believe they come with the chip, thats why that ewarp 2 technololgy is also on it.

Here was the press release from gefen and silicon optix, it definatly sounds like all hqv related processes that come with the chip
San Jose, CA—February 11, 2008—Silicon Optix, the leader in advanced video processors, announces that connectivity solutions provider Gefen will use Realta HQV™ to power its new scaler solution, the Gefen TV Scaler Pro. Using the power of Emmy® award-winning HQV processing, the Gefen TV Scaler Pro can be connected to set-top boxes, DVD players or any piece of video equipment, providing an instant upgrade to HQV image quality in a very cost effective package. The result is dramatically improved picture quality with a simple one-box addition.

“We selected the Realta HQV video processor for its dynamic design and unbelievable processing power,” said Hagai Gefen, President and CEO of Gefen Inc. “The Gefen TV Scaler Pro provides the very best picture quality, allowing consumers to boost the performance of their current system regardless of video source, instead of feeling they should replace components to keep up with the latest advancements.”

Silicon Optix’s Emmy® award-winning HQV processing delivers the sharpest and most detailed HD images possible by utilizing features such as true 1080i-to-1080p HD deinterlacing, and a sophisticated multidirectional diagonal filter that ensures video free from jagged edges. HQV also does an incredible job of making SD material approach HD quality by employing advanced scaling, per-pixel detail enhancement, and noise reduction technology that removes noise and artifacts caused by compression.

“Gefen is the first to deliver HQV to the mainstream by way of its Gefen TV Scaler Pro,” said Jim Mannos, President and CEO of Silicon Optix. “We’re thrilled Gefen has chosen Realta HQV for this revolutionary product.”

The Gefen TV Scaler Pro offers an extensive set of selectable input and output ports to enable a plug and play solution that works with the widest assortment of equipment. This includes dual HDMI v1.3, component, S-video and composite inputs, as well as an HDMI v1.3 output for an easy connection to any digital television. Optional digital audio support complements the selection of video for an engaging audio/video environment. Once connected, whatever source is selected may be up and down scaled with impressive video refinements to ensure the most vivid imagery possible. Enclosed in the new Gefen TV product line packaging, the Gefen TV Scaler Pro (MSRP $699) is designed for both prosumers and industry savvy consumers who demand the very best from their high definition audio and video systems.

For more information about HQV processing, please go to www.HQV.com
post #94 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Also here is another post from someone who works for silicon optix on the forum. Once again it seems all algos listed in the gefen sheet which are the same found on silicon optix website come with the chip. HOWEVER you can upgrade and reprogram different things onto the chip in the future. It seems though gefen is smartly using all Algos given to them with the chip made by silicon optix.

"Let me just say that Reon VX performs many algos just as good as Realta, and surprisingly better in a couple of them, but Realta, in general does better, and can continue to be improved because its algos can be reprogrammed, re-tweaked, and re-optimised. That's why we have "HQV Powered by Teranex" as a logo approved for Realta-based products, and plain "HQV" for Reon VX-based products. Realta does better owing to its use of the massively parallel, pixel-oriented Teranex architecture. The Teranex Xantus box probably has in excess of 3 Teraops/sec image processing capability (Realta has about 1 Teraop just within its video processor, not including a couple other processing engines). Specifically, the Reon's edge diagonal processing is just as good as Realta's standard algo load (Realta's could be improved even more, but there is a point of diminishing returns, and why sacrifice other functions just to improve processing of a line inclined just a couple more degrees closer to horizontal), and maybe a shade better. Having said that, not all of our customers elect to implement all the algos we make available to them, for reasons that baffle us sometimes.
post #95 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I will have a Denon 3800 here shortly... I will then eventually (when it gets released) do a side by side comparison with the Gefen PRO to SEE what it can do...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #96 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I will have a Denon 3800 here shortly... I will then eventually (when it gets released) do a side by side comparison with the Gefen PRO to SEE what it can do...

Great! Thanks, I'll be looking forward to that comparo.
post #97 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that's what i wanted to hear! you da man.
post #98 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

murilo, i'm unfamiliar with cypress. is the fact that they might be building it good news or bad news to you?
post #99 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Is there at least a squishy date for shipping? A second or third quarter?
post #100 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post

Is there at least a squishy date for shipping? A second or third quarter?

http://www.cepro.com/article/gefentv...ers_to_lineup/

Article says sometime in April for the Pro...
post #101 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
BT1

I am sitting on the fence in the purchase of either the Sony VW60 or VW40 1080P projector. I want to eventually upgrade to a full 2:35 display utilizing CH screen and an anamorphic lens.

The VW60 has the internal scaler (stretch mode) required, but costs about $1200 street more that the VW40 which does not.

I have searched both of the threads here discussing the Gefen Pro unit and have not found any mention of it doing the vertical stretch required. It would also seem a better alternative in regard to upscalling DVD and cable sources.

That I can see, none of the press releases mention it either. Anyone know if it can/could?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Tight lines!
post #102 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1 View Post

I am sitting on the fence in the purchase of either the Sony VW60 or VW40 1080P projector. I want to eventually upgrade to a full 2:35 display utilizing CH screen and an anamorphic lens.

The VW60 has the internal scaler (stretch mode) required, but costs about $1200 street more that the VW40 which does not.

I have searched both of the threads here discussing the Gefen Pro unit and have not found any mention of it doing the vertical stretch required. It would also seem a better alternative in regard to upscalling DVD and cable sources.

That I can see, none of the press releases mention it either. Anyone know if it can/could?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

If you go to Gefen's site and download their catalog it will list the features for the scaler pro. One of the features is: eWARP-2 Geometry Processing. I do not know much about CIH, but from my understanding that is what ewarp is for.
post #103 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
BT1

Thanks mjg100,

I checked the Gefen web site and the Pro version is not yet listed.

Your comments regarding the eWARP-2 Geometry Processing is the first I have seen mentioning it. I will keep reading.

I did down load the Gefen op manual for their HT Scaler Plus. I hope I can get what I need there. (initial look did not directly answer the question)

I will also e-mail them to get confirmation. I am now leaning toward the lower priced projector and get a scaler and lens down the road. Use the zoom methode until then.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Tight lines!
post #104 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post

someone needs to get one of these hooked up to a dvd player outputting 480i and put it next to the new denon 3800BDCI playing the same SD DVD and see how the image compares!

and on at least a 100" screen.
post #105 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks mjg100,

Your comments regarding the eWARP-2 Geometry Processing is the first I have seen mentioning it. I will keep reading.

I did down load the Gefen op manual for their HT Scaler Plus. I hope I can get what I need there. (initial look did not directly answer the question)

I will also e-mail them to get confirmation. I am now leaning toward the lower priced projector and get a scaler and lens down the road. Use the zoom methode until then.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

i think ewarp was used/still used? by runco in the development of their 2.35x1 cine-wide options. i know id seen it mentioned. maybe check w runco site?
post #106 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks mjg100,

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Go here:www.gefen.com/gefentv/
Download catalog and go to page 13. Page 13 lists the features for the Pro. One of the features listed is eWARP2 Geometry Processing for projectors.
post #107 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM

I read a review of one of their other scalers and I did not like that you could not go directly to an input source. You get there by toggling through the inputs. I read the Home Theater PLUS Scaler manual and the Home Theater Scaler manual and both of them are set up this way. For this to work well for the spouse and kids I need discrete codes so that I can use a macro with my remote so that when you press DVD on the remote all necessary setting are changed.
post #108 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

My screen is 120.5". Is that big enough?

post #109 of 432 Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

mine's gonna be 119", so it'll work for me!
post #110 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

I will also test it out on a Panasonic 1080p plasma and a Toshiba LCD... And if needed a Sanyo Z5 720p pj...

post #111 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
BT1

Thanks again mjg100,

Page 13 does specify that it will do "aspect ratio control" in addition to "matching the native resolution/format of your display".

This description is for the GTV-HDMI-1080PS model, but I assume that the newer pro model will have the same if not better capabilities.

I have not received a response directly from Gefen. I will be sure to relay their response when I get it.

To close the deal, Jason here at AVS is confirming that the lower cost Sony VW40 is the better bang for the buck anyway, so that is the way I will go. Add the required scaler when I buy the lens.

Thanks again to all,

Steve

Tight lines!
post #112 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM

AFAIK, eWarp-2 - elsewhere referred to as AnyPlace(?) - is for keystone correction allowing placement of an FP almost anywhere in relation to the screen.
post #113 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks again mjg100,

Page 13 does specify that it will do "aspect ratio control" in addition to "matching the native resolution/format of your display".

This description is for the GTV-HDMI-1080PS model, but I assume that the newer pro model will have the same if not better capabilities.

I have not received a response directly from Gefen. I will be sure to relay their response when I get it.

To close the deal, Jason here at AVS is confirming that the lower cost Sony VW40 is the better bang for the buck anyway, so that is the way I will go. Add the required scaler when I buy the lens.

Thanks again to all,

Steve

I am not sure what you are looking at. Page 13 of their catalog has the Gefen TV Scaler Pro. Model number GTV-HTS-PRO. Page 8 has the Gefen TV 1080P Scaler. Model number GTV-HDMI-1080PS. When I say page number I am using Gefen's page numbers. The first several pages (cover sheet and index) of the catalog are in Roman numerals. Page 1 is after all of that.
post #114 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
BT1

mjg100, you are right again,

Man, must be bad Ju Ju or something!

Yes, I see page 13 of the catalog. Dummy me was paging down to the .pdf page numbers.

I will be ordering the projector and new screen on Thursday, hold off for the user reports on this scaller and possibly get it and the lens then.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Tight lines!
post #115 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Also here is another post from someone who works for silicon optix on the forum. Once again it seems all algos listed in the gefen sheet which are the same found on silicon optix website come with the chip. HOWEVER you can upgrade and reprogram different things onto the chip in the future. It seems though gefen is smartly using all Algos given to them with the chip made by silicon optix.

"Let me just say that Reon VX performs many algos just as good as Realta, and surprisingly better in a couple of them, but Realta, in general does better, and can continue to be improved because its algos can be reprogrammed, re-tweaked, and re-optimised. That's why we have "HQV Powered by Teranex" as a logo approved for Realta-based products, and plain "HQV" for Reon VX-based products. Realta does better owing to its use of the massively parallel, pixel-oriented Teranex architecture. The Teranex Xantus box probably has in excess of 3 Teraops/sec image processing capability (Realta has about 1 Teraop just within its video processor, not including a couple other processing engines). Specifically, the Reon's edge diagonal processing is just as good as Realta's standard algo load (Realta's could be improved even more, but there is a point of diminishing returns, and why sacrifice other functions just to improve processing of a line inclined just a couple more degrees closer to horizontal), and maybe a shade better. Having said that, not all of our customers elect to implement all the algos we make available to them, for reasons that baffle us sometimes.

When you look at the picture of the Gefen TV Scaler Pro on page 13 of their catalog you see "HQV Silicon Optix" you do not see "HQV Powered by Teranex"
post #116 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

When you look at the picture of the Gefen TV Scaler Pro on page 13 of their catalog you see "HQV Silicon Optix" you do not see "HQV Powered by Teranex"

Looks like the correct logo for Realta based products is "HQV Silicon Optix", and it refers to HQV(TM) processing powered by Teranex. Realta HQV processing originates from Teranex's $60k broadcast and postproduction platforms.
post #117 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:

mjg100, you are right again,

Man, must be bad Ju Ju or something!

Yes, I see page 13 of the catalog. Dummy me was paging down to the .pdf page numbers.

I will be ordering the projector and new screen on Thursday, hold off for the user reports on this scaller and possibly get it and the lens then.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

I thought that might be what you were doing since there were five sheets before the first page in the catalog. From reading the specs it looks like a great scaler for the money.
post #118 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I see that Gefen's site has the scaler up for pre-order. You can check it out here.

It seems like a pretty sophisticated box with the ability to delay up to eight channels of audio for all codecs. It also has the ability to couple audio along with video for HDMI output. These features would undoubtedly be useful for quite a few applications.
post #119 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I see that Gefen's site has the scaler up for pre-order. You can check it out here.

It seems like a pretty sophisticated box with the ability to delay up to eight channels of audio for all codecs. It also has the ability to couple audio along with video for HDMI output. These features would undoubtedly be useful for quite a few applications.

It look really nice...thanks for the link. On the Gefen site it says eWARP2 scaling for home theater projectors...seems like this would be animorphic stretch. If so, this just evened the odds for the Sony VW40 and Epson 1080 UB...
post #120 of 432 Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Check 4i2fly, that quote i listed was also 2 years old when the realta first came out, obviously now hqv and silicon optix have built up there brand name.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page