Recommend headphones for me - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Uses: lossless on ipad and other portables

Needs: Around the impedance range of 20 to 32 ohms, so no amp, short cord or detachable, on ear or not too big over ear, open back ok

Wants: punchy bass without EQ'ing being necessary.

I am currently using some older on ear Bose, i'd like to step up but my main gripe with most HP's is lack of punch in the bass area. I have also the Ultrasones 780 but the sound is boring. Also have a skullcandy that has a built in bass amp, battery powered but its muddy. Cant use an amp and no EQ.
So if anyone can toss me some recomends, i'd appreciate it, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Take a look at Grado headphones. Much more info available at head-FI.com
post #3 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can only speak about the only pair of good headphones I have ever owned, but my Philips SBC HP910's are amazing. They have very accurate, clean and crisp sound with a really great amount of low bass and mid bass. Never muddy sound out of them during bass heavy music or movies. I use them for really late night movie watching as well when my wife is asleep (living room and bedroom share a wall) and I never feel like I am missing anything from not hearing my HT speakers. They are very lightweight and comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. They are open back as well so you can hear if your phone rings, etc. Look into them.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

ok, Do you know which series would be the non audiophile on those Grados?
How do they compare to the seinheiser 4 series..i read on their site that they extend bass. Is Grado's better?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 4851
take a look at the audio technica ath m50's at soundprofessionals they mod the cable to detach for easy storage. imo best bang for the buck.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #6 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScreams View Post

ok, Do you know which series would be the non audiophile on those Grados?
How do they compare to the seinheiser 4 series..i read on their site that they extend bass. Is Grado's better?

What's your budget and what type of music do you typically listen to?
post #7 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
V-moda m-100 are great headphones. They are punchy good bass. The mids are a bit recessed. They are very comfortable and very potable. Overall a great all around can. The audio technica m-50 are also good but they are a bit bulkier.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
post #8 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 811
You don't want Grados if you are not satisfied with the bass from the Ultrasone 780s. Grados are not known for being bass heavy phones. I have the Grado SR225i, and they don't have as much bass as my Ultrasone 780s. I also own the ATH-M50s that were mentioned. I would put them close in class to the Ultrasone 780 in terms of amount of bass output (the M50s have a little deeper sub-bass extension), although inferior in overall SQ.

Finally, an Ipad and most other portable devices normally don't have the amplifier power to make the bass output very well at higher volumes. Takes a lot of energy to produce those lower frequencies. You might be expecting something that's just not going to happen for you if you are looking for heavy bass very loud.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable K7XX | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2015, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I went with the Skullcandy Crushers. They sound a lot better than my old Skull crushers and bass is much better sounding.

Have you guys ever purchased high end headphone drivers for cheap and put them in some old cheap headphones? I noticed some Sennhieser HD 650 drivers for under $90 a pair. Could save a ton of money. I thought about buying them and replace the Crusher drivers. That way I have the benefit of the amplified tactile transducer with the benefit of higher quality main drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
You don't want Grados if you are not satisfied with the bass from the Ultrasone 780s. Grados are not known for being bass heavy phones. I have the Grado SR225i, and they don't have as much bass as my Ultrasone 780s. I also own the ATH-M50s that were mentioned. I would put them close in class to the Ultrasone 780 in terms of amount of bass output (the M50s have a little deeper sub-bass extension), although inferior in overall SQ.

Finally, an Ipad and most other portable devices normally don't have the amplifier power to make the bass output very well at higher volumes. Takes a lot of energy to produce those lower frequencies. You might be expecting something that's just not going to happen for you if you are looking for heavy bass very loud.
Blue's Mo Fi have a built in amplifier and bass boost. But I didn't want to spend that and got the Crusher's instead. It has a built in tactile transducer that resonates at 60hz and a built in Class D amplifier. They work awesome and holy crap the bass in unreal. I might do what I mentioned above and replace the main drivers with something more high end but really they sound pretty darn good considering. But it would be easy to replace the main drivers, just need to find a higher end 40mm driver at 32ohms. Parts Xpress has some replacement headphone drivers too but no clue how good they are.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
V-Moda +1.
You can try Sennheiser Amperior or HD25 II. Good Punchy Bass. can run with or with out Amp.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Question Best bluetooth headset for use with Samsung HU8550 TV

I tried the Skullcandy Hesh 2. They suck. Don't like them.

1. Poor range, but can deal with that.

2. Uncomfortable. Too much pressure on the ears. They feel better with left and right reversed.

3. Mushy, non-vibrant sound.

4. No treble-bass adjustment.

They due block external sound well. Prefer crop highs and good mid-ranges. Bass least important. I'd get wireless ones, but it seems too difficult to mute the TV speakers when the earphones are activated, hence bluetooth preferred.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Looks like you've already found your headphones, but if you ever want to step up from there, the Beyerdynamic DT1350s are relatively inexpensive and have fantastic bass. I used them quite often directly from my iPhone and that's all they need. The bass has great extension and is very punchy, but doesn't become bloated or boomy. Have had mine for almost three years and still love 'em.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
I tried the Skullcandy Hesh 2. They suck. Don't like them.

1. Poor range, but can deal with that.

2. Uncomfortable. Too much pressure on the ears. They feel better with left and right reversed.

3. Mushy, non-vibrant sound.

4. No treble-bass adjustment.

They due block external sound well. Prefer crop highs and good mid-ranges. Bass least important. I'd get wireless ones, but it seems too difficult to mute the TV speakers when the earphones are activated, hence bluetooth preferred.

BUMP. Any strong recommendations for bluetooth headphones, NOT these SkullCandy ?
post #14 of 17 Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
BUMP. Any strong recommendations for bluetooth headphones, NOT these SkullCandy ?
Maybe this discussion thread over at Head-Fi would help: http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/huge...mparisons-here

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable K7XX | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #15 of 17 Unread 06-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Liked: 0
Why don't you try Bose® SoundLink® Mini Bluetooth® speaker. I'm using this and I just love them.
post #16 of 17 Unread 06-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got these for gaming... They are sweet
Gaming Headset Virtual 7.1 USB DAC Headphones Sentey® Symph Gs-4531 Inline Control with Volume Regulation
post #17 of 17 Unread 07-01-2015, 01:42 PM

I also agree that audio technica ath m50 is a good buy. I wonder, why did you go with the skullcandy crushers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones