AVS Forum banner

Headphones for Computer?

505 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Kavan Sidhu 
#1 ·
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for good and affordable headphones for my computer. (I readily admit that I don't know much about technology or computers).

I tried putting the headphones from my iPod into my computer, but the cord wasn't long enough. So I just need decent headphones with a long enough cord.

I have an HP PC. I have headphones for my stereo, but they don't fit into the jack in my computer. So I see that the jacks are different for headphones for a stereo, vs. headphones for a computer.

I don't know all of the technical jargon and I really want to make sure I don't order something that turns out to be incompatible with my computer. The cord doesn't need to be super-long, but it does need to be longer than the cord on the standard iPod earphones.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

#7 ·
I seriously doubt it does unless the adapter is really cheap and doesn't make a good connection. My Sennheiser HD 650's came with a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter that I use with my DAC. I think a good headphone amp and cans matter more than the adapter, as long as it is a decent one.

#9 ·
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for good and affordable headphones for my computer. (I readily admit that I don't know much about technology or computers).

I tried putting the headphones from my iPod into my computer, but the cord wasn't long enough. So I just need decent headphones with a long enough cord.
There are such things as extension cords for headphones.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021819&p_id=10149&seq=1&format=2

I have an HP PC. I have headphones for my stereo, but they don't fit into the jack in my computer. So I see that the jacks are different for headphones for a stereo, vs. headphones for a computer.
I've done things along the lines of what has already been recommended to you by others with excellent results. Many quality headphones come with adapters for plugging them into both large and small headphone jacks so there is nothing wrong with the basic idea.

#11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm aware of extension cords. :)

I seem to have bad luck with extension cords. Perhaps I'm not getting the right kind---I'm not sure what the problem is.

Today I went to Radio Shack and the sales guy there knew about as much about electronics as I do. :(

I ended up getting a Radio Shack 6 foot Audio Extension Cable. It plugs into my computer just fine, and I can plug my iPod headphones into it.

The big problem is that I can only get sound out of ONE headphone (with the extension cord). If I plug my iPod headphones directly into my computer (without the extension cord), I get sound out of both headphones.

Can anyone guess what the problem might be? I've tried unplugging the headphones, plugging them back in, etc. but all I get is mono sound--not stereophonic. (One ear gets sound, and the other ear gets silence). Does Radio Shack make inferior extension cords? Or might I have this problem no matter what brand of extension cord I buy?

Thanks for any input or advice. I don't understand why the extension cord is converting my headphones into mono sound, instead of stereo sound.

#13 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm now looking carefully at the small print on the front of the package. It does indeed read: "3.5mm Mono Male to 3.5mm Mono Female".

I told the salesguy that I wanted to listen to music on my computer headphones, so it never even crossed my mind that he'd hand me an extension cord that was mono instead of stereo.

At least now I know what the problem is, thanks. So what should I look for? Something that reads: "3.5 mm Stereo Male to 3.5 mm Stereo Female?" If that's the correct terminology? I assume that they make extension cords in stereo? Thanks.

#15 ·
I got these from kmart except red and white for 10 bucks. Looks the same and same company nakamichi.

http://www.kmart.com/nakamichi-780m...W005626959001P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

Not sure if its the same model 780 but looks the same. Sound ok. Not too bad. And the cord is replaceable. I got some spare on ebay and just shaved a little of the rubber off the tip and it fits. The original cord which I still have also is plenty long. Just a little shy of 63".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.