How to connect Sony headphones to older LG TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HockeyoAJB

post #1 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to connect Sony headphones to older LG TV

I have an older LG LCD TV with optical digital audio out.

I'm considering getting Sony MDRRF985RK wireless headphones, but I *think* I might need a converter.

Could someone tell me IF I need a converter, and if so, what kind?

FYI, this is what the LG manual says about the audio out:

Send the TV’s audio to external audio equipment via the Audio Output port.
If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

Another concern is whether the "5.1" is a limiting factor or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGirl View Post
I have an older LG LCD TV with optical digital audio out.

I'm considering getting Sony MDRRF985RK wireless headphones, but I *think* I might need a converter.

Could someone tell me IF I need a converter, and if so, what kind?

FYI, this is what the LG manual says about the audio out:

Send the TV’s audio to external audio equipment via the Audio Output port.
If you want to enjoy digital broadcasting through 5.1-channel speakers, connect the OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal on the back of TV to a Home Theater (or amp).

Another concern is whether the "5.1" is a limiting factor or not.
The TV's optical audio output transmits a digital audio signal, which can either be mono/stereo PCM or up to 5.1 channel Dolby Digital/DTS encoded audio. The headphones you are looking at can only accept an analog mono/stereo signal. So, you would need a digital to analog converter with Toslink (optical) digital audio input as well as RCA and/or 3.5mm analog audio output. Here is an example of a converter that should work...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog.../dp/B005K2TXMO

Note that the converter cannot decode Dolby Digital/DTS audio, so you will need to go into the audio settings for your TV and set the optical audio output to PCM.

Alternatively, you could buy a set of surround sound headphones that can accept 5.1+ channel audio over Toslink and connect them directly to the TV's optical audio output. However, they are significantly more expensive.
IndyGirl likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

This was very helpful, Hockey. Most of this is Greek to me, so I'll re-read a couple times and see if it sinks in.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

After reading Hockey's reply a few times and looking at my TV's manual, it does not say anywhere that the audio settings for optical audio output can be set to PCM. So, I guess I can only use headphones that accept the 5.1 signal, right?

Does this mean I can only use headphones with this TV that have an optical cable?
Do all headphones that accept the 5.1 signal have an optical cable?

Can someone recommend reasonably priced headphones that will work with my TV?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
A headphone only does stereo, it might give you surround-ish sound, but it will not give you the experience that a surround set will give you. Every cheap headphone will work. Optical cable does not work with headphones, optical goes from optical TV to optical receiver.

What you need to do is check if you TV has a plug-in for a headphone or L and R in the back of your TV which also can be used for a headphone. When there is no connection you can use a converter or a AVR.
converter.
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek%C2%AE-S.../dp/B00ECTHIKK

Stuff like PCM, Dolby Digital you will get when you have a cable/satellite receiver, dvd/blu-ray player connected to your TV. In general lots of people who own such stuff use a AVR as the center while only using the HDMI connections (so no Digital Audio or Audio Out, HDMI will do the job). You can put the HDMI cable in the avr and connect your headphone using the AVR ''phones'' or L and R (AVR or receiver back White and Red (Audio Out)).

AVR back

AVR front

Last edited by 8mile13; 06-06-2016 at 08:19 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for this good information, 8mile13. I think this project is way over my head, but I do appreciate you and Hockey explaining it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page