AVS Forum banner

Over the ear headphone suggestions

537 views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  bmccoupe 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for over the ear headphones. I use them only to listen to music and movies (and occasionally radio/podcasts).

I want wired headphones, no bluetooth. Also don't want them to be noise canceling (especially not active canceling).

I'm also mostly interested in fidelity. I don't need headphones that have more bass than necessary, etc.

I also want them to be comfortable for long periods of time. I currently have audio-techinca ATH-M35s and they start to feel a bit tight after a couple hours.

Price range a couple hundred.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#2 ·
For vest fidelity I like open back headphones. I use the Senn 650hd. Great headphone.

#4 ·
I enjoy both versions of my Sennheiser Momentums, think they should be in your price range in the US

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Headphones' sound very intimately depends on your brain, your ears and how the headphones couple to them, and the impedance of the headphones and interaction thereof with the driving amplifier.

So you really MUST listen to the headphones yourself, driven by whatever you will be using them with be it a phone or iPod or headphone amp. A liberal return policy is thus mandatory.

Personally I love my AKG K240DFs and hope to be buried with them. They are out of production, but both AKG and Sennheiser have long track records of good designs.

Noise reduction-the only ones worth it are the Bose. The bass response, even in active mode, is at least on my head quite lightweight, not satisfying. For making plane flights (or lawn mowing etc etc) more enjoyable though there is no substitute for good noise reduction.

#6 ·
my old sennheiser hd600 still rocking

Reactions: r.furborough
#8 · (Edited)
What this guy said. I think they're better than the HD650 (after extensively listening to both). I actually am using them right now. :p

If you want another suggestion and you want to really break the wallet my other pair is ridiculous and tons of fun. Denon AH-D7000.

#7 ·
AKG all the way!

AKG K 701/702 series are IMHO, the best in terms of fidelity, balance, and capturing the full range, without the pumped up bass booming into your ear canals. I tried several different kinds of headphones and returned to the AKG for its incredible resolution of sounds.

#12 ·
Think I'm about to buy these myself. The Audioquest Nighthawk is running a close second at $350 however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.