Best of CES: Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Surround 3D Audio Experience - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I've never found binaural cues too convincing. Sure, left and right pan is easy, but up/down, front/back never sounds right. Head tracking like smithy is a tremendous help for those cues.
As for the ambeo, its boring. Two good mics slapped on headphones. Maybe if they added some sensors to scan ear shape, head size and amount of baldness to correctly process cues via DSP and then make a listening for a person with different head characteristics more adjustable. That would make an amusing product.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 46 Old 01-12-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Two good mics slapped on headphones. Maybe if they added some sensors to scan ear shape, head size and amount of baldness to correctly process cues via DSP and then make a listening for a person with different head characteristics more adjustable.
Won't work because all sounds are reduced to only two channels during recording using that specific person's HRTF. Single sounds would need to be recorded separately from each other with individual spatial information. Then and only then can it be correctly reproduced.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 01-13-2017 at 12:42 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #33 of 46 Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 280
how long until we see cellphones and tablets with a built in processor to these simulated surround sounds on the fly? thats what we should be focusing on and would help in VR style gaming as well.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" Screen AVR: Onkyo TX-NR646 ATMOS/DTSX + Darbee 5000
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L/R), (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.1.2 Source: HTPC, Roku 4, Nexus Player, Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Bluray Player
Daniel Chaves is offline  
 
post #34 of 46 Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
how long until we see cellphones and tablets with a built in processor to these simulated surround sounds on the fly? thats what we should be focusing on and would help in VR style gaming as well.
Maybe soon: http://www.dirac.com/dirac-blog/in-h...r-than-reality

@imagic , did you check that demo?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #35 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Won't work because all sounds are reduced to only two channels during recording using that specific person's HRTF. Single sounds would need to be recorded separately from each other with individual spatial information. Then and only then can it be correctly reproduced.
Thank you for sharing your opinion on this topic in such great length. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. The only certainty is that you are taking about a product you have not tried, so you are relying on theory to make your arguments.

I take the good with the bad. Like I said, I appreciate the boost in comments and view count, and I accept that sometimes a thread has to rely on one highly dedicated skeptic's willingness to elaborate on a point to get there. But I do wonder, is the a percentage of people for whom my HRTF works well enough that they hear a reasonably good binaural spacial representation? I am guessing yes. Can you shed light on what percentage of people might pick up spacial cues from what I record?

And please note that when I say theory I mean that in a good sense... it's definitely a cut above hypothesis.

I know I said so already, but congratulations! In this post, the person who goes off about theory and effectively "makes the thread" is you.

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2017 at 06:05 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #36 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Maybe soon: http://www.dirac.com/dirac-blog/in-h...r-than-reality

@imagic , did you check that demo?
I did not spend much time on headphones at the show.

Maybe it will be demoed at Can Jam? I plan to attend.
imagic is online now  
post #37 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Thank you for sharing your opinion on this topic in such great length. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. The only certainty is that you are taking about a product you have not tried, so you are relying on theory to make your arguments.

I take the good with the bad. Like I said, I appreciate the boost in comments and view count, and I accept that sometimes a thread has to rely on one highly dedicated skeptic's willingness to elaborate on a point to get there. Congratulations! In this thread, that person is you.
You don't seem to read my posts in context. You're again (!) making up something I've never said or intended.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #38 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
You don't seem to read my posts in context. You're again (!) making up something I've never said or intended.
I added (via edits) even more context challenged comments to that post, fwiw. I can be dense.
imagic is online now  
post #39 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Thank you for sharing your opinion on this topic in such great length. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. The only certainty is that you are taking about a product you have not tried, so you are relying on theory to make your arguments.

I take the good with the bad. Like I said, I appreciate the boost in comments and view count, and I accept that sometimes a thread has to rely on one highly dedicated skeptic's willingness to elaborate on a point to get there. But I do wonder, is the a percentage of people for whom my HRTF works well enough that they hear a reasonably good binaural spacial representation? I am guessing yes. Can you shed light on what percentage of people might pick up spacial cues from what I record?

And please note that when I say theory I mean that in a good sense... it's definitely a cut above hypothesis.

I know I said so already, but congratulations! In this post, the person who goes off about theory and effectively "makes the thread" is you.
Are you done editing your posts? Looks like you're not referring to what I've replied to donktard's post (although you've quoted that reply) but to my initial comment that using the Ambeo is unsuitable for reviews. You're guessing it works well enough, i.e. you did not test that hypothesis. If that's enough for you so be it but it's certainly not enough on an objective level and there's enough literature, examples, data, reviews, etc. to support this. It's naive to believe everybody would love sauerkraut just because you do.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #40 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Are you done editing your posts? Looks like you're not referring to what I've replied to donktard's post (although you've quoted that reply) but to my initial comment that using the Ambeo is unsuitable for reviews. You're guessing it works well enough, i.e. you did not test that hypothesis. If that's enough for you so be it but it's certainly not enough on an objective level and there's enough literature, examples, data, reviews, etc. to support this. It's naive to believe everybody would love sauerkraut just because you do.
Lol you are being too serious! I am just having fun. 😀 I like editing posts btw.

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2017 at 06:41 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #41 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Lol you are just being too serious! I am just having fun. 😀
Looks like we have a very different idea about what makes something funny.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #42 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Looks like we have a very different idea about what makes something funny.
Well, I don't think you are trying to be funny!

Also, lol to the notion that including such a recording in a review would constitute an absolute, objective, scientifically valid replication of what I heard. Obviously impossible on so many levels! But so what, it is still something I would put in a review. For subjective "good times..." kind like a YouTube video of a TV. 😉

As Joker says, "Why so serious?"

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2017 at 06:49 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #43 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Well, I don't think you are trying to be funny!
You got that one right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Also, lol to the notion that including such a recording in a review would constitute an absolute, objective, scientifically valid replication of what I heard.
So why did you bring it up? For "fun"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
But so what, it is still something I would put in a review. For subjective "good times..." kind like a YouTube video of a TV. 😉
A YouTube video of a TV can be helpful if you're not trying to convey picture quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
As Joker says, "Why so serious?"
Exactly. Do you laugh when the Joker is making a "joke"?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 01-18-2017 at 07:05 AM.
markus767 is offline  
post #44 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
You got that one right.

So why did you bring it up? For "fun"?

A YouTube video of a TV can be helpful if you're not trying to convey picture quality.

Exactly. Do you laugh when the Joker is making a "joke"?


I'm doing my thing, you are doing yours.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 01-18-2017 at 07:14 AM.
imagic is online now  
post #45 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post


I'm doing my thing, you are doing yours.
How's the weather today in Philly?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #46 of 46 Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Assoc. Editor @ AVS Forum
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 10,807
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4940 Post(s)
Liked: 8364
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
How's the weather today in Philly?
My dog loves it, me not so much but given than I have to stay inside and hammer out more CES posts and press releases before I can finally get back to unboxing/hands/on/reviews it's probably a good thing it's a slightly chilly, gray, January day. But the temperature is more "November" than January" so that's a good thing. 41 degrees, cloudy, with projected high of 50.

Mark Henninger
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Headphones

Tags
ambeo , binaural , Sennheiser



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off