AVS Forum banner

High Quality Headset

581 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mortepa 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking for a high quality headset that I can use both for work as well as decent quality audio for listening to music. I will want to use it with both my PC and my cell phone. I am willing to pay some big bucks for a solution that works for me, since it would be playing double-duty.

Must-haves:
1. Bluetooth - Need to connect to both the PC and to my cell phone.
2. Over-the-ear full cushions. High quality audio.
3. Microphone - Hopefully a boom with higher quality noise cancelling mic. I will be using for Skype/Webex type conference calls.
4. Minimum battery life should be at least 8 hours.
5. Very comfortable and lightweight. Will need to wear for several hours at a time.

Want-to-have, but I could live without:
1. Noise cancelling sound. Preferably with ability to switch on and off.
2. Ability to use 3.5mm jack and/or USB. So when battery runs low I can simply connect cable to charge.
3. It would be nice if it folded flat so I could stick it in my backpack.
4. Audio playback controls on headset.
5. Controls to Answer/end phone call from cell

I'm very excited to hear what some of you might suggest! I just hope that I can find something that works for me. I have been using a Plantronics Rig 500 wired gaming headset for some time now...and I am ready to cut the cord and upgrade the sound. So thanks again for any suggestions!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, unfortunately, I still haven't found a perfect solution yet. There are some that I found that are close, but still lacking. Here are the ones that came close.

Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 - Doesn't have a NC boom mic, and I've read using the side-mics are not very good for conference calls. Otherwise, this headset is just about what I'm looking for. More of a premium audio headset than a work headset...but this headset would be perfect if it only had a decent mic for work. SO close! Maybe Plantronics will add a modular boom mic at some point. I know, I am dreaming. :)

Logitech H800 - Lacking premium sound and noise cancelling. No over the ear cushions. I've read the mic is decent, with passive noise cancelling...but not as nice as the plantronics/Jabra boom mics. Cheap Price @ $70 bucks.

Jabra Evolve 65 - No full size over ear cups. Only ok audio, no noise cancelling. Nice work headset, but mediocre audio.

So the search continues for the perfect premium headset for both work and play. If anyone thinks of anything I should be looking at, please reply! For now, I have purchased the Logitech H800's as a portable/wireless pair to carry around in my laptop bag. I still am using my good old wired gaming headset at home in the mean time. I'll wait patiently until something comes to market that is perfect. I just can't spend hundreds of dollars on something that is not absolutely perfect.

#4 ·
Thank-you very much for the suggestions! Both of your suuggestions are undoubtedly excellent headphones. Unfortunately, they have no noise cancelling boom mic. Basically the same issue I have with the Backbeat Pro 2's.

For now, I went the cheap route and bought the Logitech H800. It is vey easy switching between my cell bluetooth and PC Logitech USB adaptor. Has an 'ok' mic and 'ok' sound. This will suffice until someone comes out with the ideal headset.

So yeah, maybe someday there will be an option for a quality boom mic on the Sony MDR-Z1000X, Sennheiser PXC550, Plantronics BackBeat Pro, or another... Until that day, I'll be cheaping out with my H800's!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.