Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HD650 vs HD700

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a pair of new headphones, and right now I'm deciding between the Sennheiser HD650 and the HD700. On Amazon there's only a $40 price difference, but I've heard mixed review about the HD700s, but that deal seems too good to pass up. I mainly listen to Hip-Hop and Alternative music (Schoolboy Q, GoldLink, Tame Impala, Coldplay), and I would also like to use them for gaming. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How did you come to these two choices? The Hifiman HE-400i is arguably the king of the open-back $400 and below range, as it measures better than either of these headphones, particularly in the bass and sub-bass range it has a cleaner distortion profile multiples better than either, and can be found as low as $250 during sales.

$375 is not a good price on the HD650. It usually drops to around $280-300 during the holidays, and sometimes even lower effective price with gift card promotions--and this is just on Amazon. Back in November 2016 it was $200 on Massdrop.

As far as the HD700, it has a much larger soundstage than the HD650 and is much more comfortable, but does have some ringing issues in the treble that require a physical dampening mod to fix. The HD650 has a clamp of death for bigger heads, but if you don't have a giant noggin, it's a great can. However, it makes more sense for most to get the HD600 as it's basically the same headphone with slightly neutral, less dark sound. The HD650 is basically a HD600 with the bass turned up but paying a higher distortion trade-off in the bass.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hello Nick Lubenow,

You'll have to listen to them both with various types of music in order to decide. They're both great portable listening devices.

Audiophile fanboy beliefs are based on myth, superstition and ego.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Go for Sennheiser HD 600. It is the original foredad of HD 650 and 700, but more neutral. It is actually the most neutral serial produced headphone in the world, rare gem in hype driven, BS-based (alternative truth based in current terminology) headphone markets.

Bass is easy to correct, topsy-turvy upper regions less easy. Go for headphone with as smooth upper regions as possible (HD 600). And use EQ to deal with bass. Mentioned Hifimans, for example, have typical ****eti-messed 1-5 kHz, they are not self serviceable/fully modular highly productizated industrial designs like Sennheiser (channel balance variations, frequently blown drivers etc). Whole Hifiman exhales china-carage, e-tailer hype BS-quality.

P.S In internet you can find measurements of headphones. Good site to find them is Innerfidelity. Must warn you in this case, though. The right channel of Innerfidelity measured HD 600 individual is apparently not OK; distortion peaks on bass abnormally and channels responses deviate too much. The gaffer has propably disassembled it (because in Sennheiser it´s easy), and by putting parts back together damaged something or done it wrong. In one HD 600 disassembly-video (YouTube) he straightforward destroys its other driver with screwdriver in front of his own camera...

Last edited by MeterSapiens; 02-10-2017 at 08:34 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what is the best open headphone under $500? neutral with some bass extend?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I'm partial to the 650 HD. Very comfortable. In my set up it sounds great. Oppo 95 > Burson Audio Soloist SL MKII > HD650.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2017, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lubenow View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm in the market for a pair of new headphones, and right now I'm deciding between the Sennheiser HD650 and the HD700. On Amazon there's only a $40 price difference, but I've heard mixed review about the HD700s, but that deal seems too good to pass up. I mainly listen to Hip-Hop and Alternative music (Schoolboy Q, GoldLink, Tame Impala, Coldplay), and I would also like to use them for gaming. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
For alternative, the Sennheiser would be okay, but overall, I don't think that is the right fit for your music taste. I would go with a closed-back can or a planar magnetic that has a sweet mid-range and good low-extension. Sennheiser doesn't have great lows, particularly if you don't have a good amp.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
what is the best open headphone under $500? neutral with some bass extend?
If you want neutral with bass extension, the HD600 is a great choice as the HD650 is slightly warmer. However, there are a bunch of new headphones out that are worth checking out, including, the Oppo PM-3, some of the ZMF line, used Beyerdynamic T1, or an older model Denon D-series - like the D5000 or even the D2000.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I second the HD600/HD650 recommendation. I just got a pair of HD600s over the weekend and absolutely love them. They're extremely spacious, great imaging, incredible detail, and really nice sound signature. I hear that the HD650s are also very nice, but very slightly more dark/bass prominent. For hip-hop/electronic and heavier rock, the HD650s might be preferrable but I actually haven't heard them. My HD600s are certainly adequate for hip-hop and electronica, but they're not ideal. I bought mine to compliment my closed planar magnetic Mad Dog Pros, which do have a fantastic sound signature for hip-hop; really liquid sound, bass-oriented and dark but not overwhelmingly so, yet still detailed. To be honest, after receiving the HD600s I might like them better than the MDPs. Just a technically better headphone, more detail and a better soundstage, but I still have to do more work for a detailed comparison.

To be honest I hear bad things about the HD700s. They apparently have a sibilance to them I know I'd find offensive. Your mileage might vary, though.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by daermonn View Post
To be honest I hear bad things about the HD700s. They apparently have a sibilance to them I know I'd find offensive.
You can see it right in between 6 and 7 kHz on the first graph...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

ADU
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Personally - I liked the 650 - and I was also able to get them for $250 at one point which made me very happy. I have them paired with a bottlehead amp for listening when I am just sitting around - and fiio e12 for mobile. Eiterh set is very comfortable and light. but after an hour plus, I can get warm...
sound is subjective. I think 700 is a but too tinny/sharp for me. I have not listened to the HE400 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones