CanJam SoCal 2017: Ossic X 3D Immersive Headphones - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By javanpohl
  • 2 Post By DaveFi

post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 4383
CanJam SoCal 2017: Ossic X 3D Immersive Headphones

The Ossic X offers true 3D immersive sound with multiple drivers in each earcup, automatic HRTF calibration, and a head tracker. It's pretty dang cool!

http://www.avsforum.com/ossic-x-3d-i...am-socal-2017/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Nice to get a real-world review of these. They popped up on my facebook feed quite some time ago and they weren't providing much info to questions that I and some other people had in regards to some of their claims (mainly related to the calibration process for each individual.) Frankly they almost sounded a bit too good to be true. Pretty exciting though to hear that they're living up to the claims. The head-tracking is a brilliant feature. I see that easily becoming an integral part of the VR experience.

Did you get anymore info on how exactly they do that calibration? ... and/or maybe a little bit more on what those terms mean

I fully agree with you on the visual aspect--being able to (way-too-easily) see the pixel structure. As it is, it's not something I would spend much money on. It should be pretty impressive in a few years though as technological capabilities catch up. In ten years I don't see people playing certain types of games any other way. Could also be a pretty good way to watch movies.

Oh, something I just thought of... I imagine, since the phones don't already incorporate Atmos, maybe they were designed with L/R imaging in mind? Did they say anything about the potential as they've been designed to do overhead sounds?
qwho51 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
While I find these intriguing for movies, I don't really have much interest in the VR aspect. While a fairly big gamer, I still think VR is pretty niche right now, and might turn into nothing more than another fad.

That said, when they get Atmos and DTS-X working with these, I'll be very interested...
hogues and qwho51 like this.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.

Last edited by DaveFi; 04-19-2017 at 06:08 PM.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am glad I waited until Scott had an opportunity to try out these new upstart headphones. Much was promised and I almost bought the hype. Once again,, Scott has saved my bacon, and cleared away much of the fog that often surrounds "innovative" products.
I am not much of a gamer, nor have I pulled the trigger on VR, but was hoping that these Headphones would be an advancement in headphone theater for movies, etc
When Scott detailed that this product was not ready for immersive home theater
between my ears, I exhaled a huge sigh of relief that I did not waste my hard earned income on this product.
I almost became one of those that P.T. Barnum talked about. Thank You, Scott for saving me ..,AGAIN!

RustyBones

Last edited by qwho51; 04-21-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Punctuation
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 87
What about using it just for Games (No VR)? Would it provide good Surround and punchy bass?
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
What about using it just for Games (No VR)? Would it provide good Surround and punchy bass?
Hi @harrisu , yes the OSSIC X is compatible with stereo, multi-channel, as well as full 3D-audio content. Additionally it is important to note that since it is a smart headphone, the firmware can be upgraded over time as any improvements are made.

The OSSIC X will provide excellent surround for games, as our algorithms are referencing your anatomy instead of a generic HRTF which drastically improves spatial accuracy and sound quality. Your surround game will be compatible with the OSSIC X as soon as it is plugged in.

I will be on the thread so feel free to follow up with any additional questions!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossic View Post
Hi @harrisu , yes the OSSIC X is compatible with stereo, multi-channel, as well as full 3D-audio content. Additionally it is important to note that since it is a smart headphone, the firmware can be upgraded over time as any improvements are made.

The OSSIC X will provide excellent surround for games, as our algorithms are referencing your anatomy instead of a generic HRTF which drastically improves spatial accuracy and sound quality. Your surround game will be compatible with the OSSIC X as soon as it is plugged in.

I will be on the thread so feel free to follow up with any additional questions!
Thx ossic. What about bass? how would you categorize bass in this headphone? I am/was very close to order monolith M 1060 but they are out of stock for the time being. Now OSSIC X is also an option. As for M1060, it has raving reviews in all regards including bass and open sound stage due to its Open Back design. Any idea how it'd perform comparing with M1060.
Also, any info on release date? Just visited site and its only accepting pre-orders.

Thx
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
While I find these intriguing for movies, I don't really have much interest in the VR aspect. While a fairly big gamer, I still think VR is pretty niche right now, and might turn into nothing more than another fad.

That said, when they get Atmos and DTS-X working with these, I'll be very interested...
I agree that at the moment VR is not ready for prime time, it's the bleeding edge. The gear is simply too unwieldly, it takes a lot of space, and the headsets are too heavy and stiffling to wear for long periods. Content is also lacking - mostly demos at this point. However, I believe that it is a mistake to simply write it off as a fad. In those rare instances where you do achieve immersion (Elite Dangerous with HOTAS), or social interaction (Rec Room, Onward) or terror (Doom BFG), the experience is next level. It is just so much more than sitting in front of a screen (e.g. IKinema Orion full body tracking). With a good gpu and supersampling the resolution issue already goes away for games. Advances in technology will soon solve the remaining issues (e.g. TPcast). But don't hold your breath thinking that it will be a viable alternative to high quality home theatre anytime soon.

Setup: Vive, 4x4m playspace, Titan XP, audio - Dragonfly USB DAC to Sennheiser 598 SE/ plus room sub, Subpac M2
post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcam&Logans View Post
I agree that at the moment VR is not ready for prime time, it's the bleeding edge. The gear is simply too unwieldly, it takes a lot of space, and the headsets are too heavy and stiffling to wear for long periods. Content is also lacking - mostly demos at this point. However, I believe that it is a mistake to simply write it off as a fad. In those rare instances where you do achieve immersion (Elite Dangerous with HOTAS), or social interaction (Rec Room, Onward) or terror (Doom BFG), the experience is next level. It is just so much more than sitting in front of a screen (e.g. IKinema Orion full body tracking). With a good gpu and supersampling the resolution issue already goes away for games. Advances in technology will soon solve the remaining issues (e.g. TPcast). But don't hold your breath thinking that it will be a viable alternative to high quality home theatre anytime soon.

Setup: Vive, 4x4m playspace, Titan XP, audio - Dragonfly USB DAC to Sennheiser 598 SE/ plus room sub, Subpac M2
VR gear needs to be wireless allow you full range of motion. As long as there are wires it will never take off. I'm more interested in seated VR anyways (space-sims) but that's besides the point.

As I said- as soon as they get Atmos and DTS-X working I'll take a look at these. I use my Sony Wireless lossless headphones on a daily basis, and those have DTS-HD/TrueHD/Dolby-IIz support.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
canjam , headphones , immersive audio , ossic x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page