Periodic Audio Be Beryllium Driver IEM Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 08-07-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 11399
Periodic Audio Be Beryllium Driver IEM Hands-On

Periodic Audio's Be Beryllium in-ear monitors ($300) are a new, premium IEM option for anyone looking to significantly upgrade their mobile listening experience. They are free truly free of audible distortion and coloration, at least under normal use. I've owned many headphones over the past 30+ years and these are something special.

Periodic Audio makes three IEM models. Each is named after the element used for the transducer: Mg ($99), Ti ($199), and Be ($299). Aside from the transducer material, the three models are practically identical. And while all three models sounds good, the Beryllium Be model offers the best performance of the three.

These are single-driver dynamic headphones, so the differences between the materials used in the metal diaphragms are entirely responsible for the changes in character and measured response.

While I have many observations to share—I've had these IEMs for several months now—I want to share a particularly interesting observation: I ran the acoustic personalization on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge while using the Be IEMs. Unlike typical headphones, I heard just about every single tone. Unlike all other headphones I've used with the optimizer, it reported by hearing in both ears as excellent. This is in agreement with the audiology exam I took last year (I'm lucky, both ears are still doing great) and it indicates that with many headphones, it's the device that's the bottleneck, and not my ears.

I just posted a hands-on to the AVS Forum homepage. You can read it here: Periodic Audio Be Beryllium In-Ear Headphones Hands-On

-----
The AVS Forum Hands-On Review Process (master list of hands-on threads)
lonestarwings likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-25-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 958
How would you say these compare with the quad-driver IEMs from 1More that you posted the other thread about? Does a single driver of a more exotic material outdo four drivers with a more exotic design?

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #3 of 42 Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
How would you say these compare with the quad-driver IEMs from 1More that you posted the other thread about? Does a single driver of a more exotic material outdo four drivers with a more exotic design?
You'd think I'd have done it already, but I have not level matched the two IEM's and then compared looping clips of particularly revealing content. As well as listen to test tones to ascertain how each deals with deep base.

But, if you want my subjective opinion, beryllium is an absolutely phenomenal substance with which to build the driver. And I do think that having just one driver take care of everything, that's made out of the best material possible, is likely the best approach to creating a great IEM.

I'll check back later this week with a more informed opinion on this.

post #4 of 42 Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
You'd think I'd have done it already, but I have not level matched the two IEM's and then compared looping clips of particularly revealing content. As well as listen to test tones to ascertain how each deals with deep base.

But, if you want my subjective opinion, beryllium is an absolutely phenomenal substance with which to build the driver. And I do think that having just one driver take care of everything, that's made out of the best material possible, is likely the best approach to creating a great IEM.

I'll check back later this week with a more informed opinion on this.
RBH makes a set of around-ear headphones for an almost absurd price (for the material) of only $139. Just based on that price, and some of the ad-copy, I'm thinking it's not a pure beryllium diaphragm though, but some sort of beryllium vapor deposition on top of a traditional paper or polymer diaphragm. Xiaomi also seems to make some suspicously cheap beryllium around-ear headphones.

Compared to the prices of stuff like the Focal Elear and Utopia, I'm suspicious, but also intrigued at the potential value. Of course, I'm sure the Focal cans are also more advanced designs in areas beyond the driver's cone material.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #5 of 42 Old 08-09-2017, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
RBH makes a set of around-ear headphones for an almost absurd price (for the material) of only $139. Just based on that price, and some of the ad-copy, I'm thinking it's not a pure beryllium diaphragm though, but some sort of beryllium vapor deposition on top of a traditional paper or polymer diaphragm. Xiaomi also seems to make some suspicously cheap beryllium around-ear headphones.

Compared to the prices of stuff like the Focal Elear and Utopia, I'm suspicious, but also intrigued at the potential value. Of course, I'm sure the Focal cans are also more advanced designs in areas beyond the driver's cone material.
I would not trust any budget over-ear claiming it has beryllium diaphragms. But that's markedly different than the Periodic Audio Be, which is a starkly minimalist IEM design that basically links your eardrum to a vibrating piece of beryllium and the result is unbelievably clean and cohesive.

My first comment about the 1More vs. the Be is this... the quad-driver 1More is only a small step up from the triple-driver. But to my ears, the Periodic Be is a significant step up from the quad-driver. Every time I listen to the Be I get the same feeling I get when I hear really clean and properly configured high-end 2-channel system. Except I'll be picking up milk and dog food.

post #6 of 42 Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Glad to hear someone else enjoying the Periodic Be. I have had mine for about a month now and am so glad I made the purchase. While I prefer full sized headphones at home, I travel a lot for work and the BE has such nice sound compared to the balanced armature IEM I used before. I even find myself wanting their sound at home sometimes now, and even occasionally putting down my full sized headphones (HD800, AKGQ701, Mr Speakers Aeon, etc). I think Dan Wiggins is really on to something with his design preference for a single dynamic driver IEM. I am pleased to say the Be regularly gives me the goosebumps during music listening....crystal clear sound with thumping bass.
imagic likes this.
post #7 of 42 Old 08-17-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I would not trust any budget over-ear claiming it has beryllium diaphragms. But that's markedly different than the Periodic Audio Be, which is a starkly minimalist IEM design that basically links your eardrum to a vibrating piece of beryllium and the result is unbelievably clean and cohesive.

My first comment about the 1More vs. the Be is this... the quad-driver 1More is only a small step up from the triple-driver. But to my ears, the Periodic Be is a significant step up from the quad-driver. Every time I listen to the Be I get the same feeling I get when I hear really clean and properly configured high-end 2-channel system. Except I'll be picking up milk and dog food.
You can buy a 25mm beryllium dome (Materon truextent foil) for a little over $260, the Scanspeak D3004, and remember this price is end user price with profit margins. Based on what I've heard from audio companies, the end price they pay is often close to about 60-70% what you would see on a OEM website.

So just doing some napkin math, the BOM for a pair of say 7mm dynamic beryllium drivers (Truextent foil) should probably be around $90. We already know that first generation Beats headphones used about $2 in materials, so I assume the rest of the iem wont increase the BOM much above this.

I think it will depend on the company's appetite for profit margins, but fitting beryllium drivers into a product should be possible, it just won't be hugely profitably on a marginal level, especially if you have a lot of operating costs or research cost to amortize.

Last edited by astrallite; 08-18-2017 at 07:20 PM.
post #8 of 42 Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Here my take on the be. I have it since it was first introduced for about 5 or 6 months. I have about a dozen of iems in my stable, and the be have it's place among the best. The treble is well extended and full of details in high resolution without any treble spikes. However, it lacks a certain crunchyness that most balance armature iems I have in stock. The upper bass and midbass are really good, they are drummers' dream, very textured, tight, quick, and hits hard. However, subbass is average, it's there, but on some EDM songs, it can use a little more rumble. My guess is its distortion is so low that cause this. The mids are front and intimate, you can hears every detail in hd as if you are sitting on stage with the band. Male voices sounds very natural with a touch of warmth, female voices are just mesmerizing. Voices are very clear and intimate. Adel and Christina Aguilera's voices sounded so surreal it's almost scary. Overall, the be can compete with other totl iems easily in resolution, details, coherence. Where it lags behind are subbass decay, non-detachable cables, and aesthetics. It just needs to look it part of awesomeness because it sounds awesome. To be be honest, it sound like a million bucks but it looks like ten dollars. I guess you don't have to worry about getting rob using it in the alleyway. Not funny! Because it actually happened to me.
imagic and lonestarwings like this.

Last edited by datranz; 08-25-2017 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 42 Old 08-25-2017, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
According to Periodic audio these are 10mm pure Be foil transducers that are not Materon/Truextent, from an unnamed supplier. I don't know why they choose not to name their supplier, it's possible it's not pure be, or it could be their foil is not as thin/advanced as Matereon's.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

I just posted a hands-on to the AVS Forum homepage. You can read it here: Periodic Audio Be Beryllium In-Ear Headphones Hands-On

post #11 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
I currently have the 1More 3 driver IEM's...and while I love them I feel they lack a little bit of lower and mid impact. Clarity is there but just needs a slight more oomph.

Would spending the money on the Be's be a noticeable upgrade or hard justifying the extra price? My max range is $300 so they fit within my budget.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #12 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I currently have the 1More 3 driver IEM's...and while I love them I feel they lack a little bit of lower and mid impact. Clarity is there but just needs a slight more oomph.

Would spending the money on the Be's be a noticeable upgrade or hard justifying the extra price? My max range is $300 so they fit within my budget.

Thanks!

1More triple-driver was my go-to dog walk IEM, and then came the Periodic Be, and now there's zero question what I wear.

1More quad-driver is a small upgrade for double the price. I have 'em and like 'em but...

Periodic Be is a big upgrade, but for triple the price of the 1More triple-drivers. The 1Mores are still a great deal, of course.

Anyhow, the Periodic Be IEMs are laser-focused on fidelity. The result is impressive.

BTW, I spend at least 30 minutes a day walking my dog. A not insignificant amount of my daily listening is through these.

Last edited by imagic; 09-25-2017 at 12:23 PM.
post #13 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 854
is beryillium safe to be inside your ear canal?
prerich likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #14 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
is beryillium safe to be inside your ear canal?
It's only dangerous if mishandled while working with it. Once it's in its final hardened and shaped form, no worries. Beryllium dust inhalation is the issue. With headphones, that's not an issue.
prerich and torii like this.

post #15 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 379
What's this "acoustic personalization" you speak of? Is that a feature on the Galaxy S7 Edge or an app? I tried googling, but I did not find the answer to my question, only acoustic guitar customization options.
post #16 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
What's this "acoustic personalization" you speak of? Is that a feature on the Galaxy S7 Edge or an app? I tried googling, but I did not find the answer to my question, only acoustic guitar customization options.
It's a feature of the S7 Edge, under Settings: Sounds and Vibration: Sound Quality and Effects: Adapt Sound

post #17 of 42 Old 09-25-2017, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Walking the dog now, just thinking about what a high bar these set. I would go so far as to say that Be IEMs establish a real reference for tonality, extension and dynamics that you can the chase with your speaker-based system.

Also, in what's becoming a bit of an unfortunate tradition for me, they survived a trip through the wash.

post #18 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Walking the dog now, just thinking about what a high bar these set. I would go so far as to say that Be IEMs establish a real reference for tonality, extension and dynamics that you can the chase with your speaker-based system.

Also, in what's becoming a bit of an unfortunate tradition for me, they survived a trip through the wash.
Yeesh. That's one reason I'm very hesitant to buy high-$ IEMs--I break mine all the time.
post #19 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too use 1More triple driver earphones. However, I'm not thrilled with them. An upgrade may be in order.

The 1More product is much too bass heavy. Boomy. Also, the softer tips, which I prefer to use over the foam, always seem to come off the headpiece. They stay in my ears.

I reported this a year ago and 1More sent me another set of tips, but they're no better.

This brings me to my questions - what's the difference between in-ear earphones and IEMs? Is there are real difference? Or is it just marketing?
post #20 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgraves View Post
I too use 1More triple driver earphones. However, I'm not thrilled with them. An upgrade may be in order.

The 1More product is much too bass heavy. Boomy. Also, the softer tips, which I prefer to use over the foam, always seem to come off the headpiece. They stay in my ears.

I reported this a year ago and 1More sent me another set of tips, but they're no better.

This brings me to my questions - what's the difference between in-ear earphones and IEMs? Is there are real difference? Or is it just marketing?
Just nomenclature... same thing

post #21 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 854
imagic should test the $20 be earbuds from china
post #22 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 03:20 PM
pnw
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Why is the diaphragm break-up shown on PA's site at such a low frequency on all three models?
post #23 of 42 Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Just nomenclature... same thing
That's interesting. I thought so also. I suspect it has more to do with target market, implied sophistication, etc.

Prior to the 1More triples I used Etymotic earphones for many years. They have the very best seal, but some have noted they tend to be bass shy.
post #24 of 42 Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hmmm in my ear

Sorry....I know they've more than likely passed dozens of safety test....but I can't get past the though of beryllium in my ears. Call me paranoid - it just unsettles me.
post #25 of 42 Old 09-28-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Periodic Audio plus Samsung optimizer

Thanks for the review of the Periodic Be. I only rarely use IEMs, but was thinking just yesterday about getting a new pair. This may be more than I need, but seems like a good choice. I am interested by your reference to using the acoustic optimizer or personalization with the Samsung phone. Do you know if there is something similar available in the Apple universe?
post #26 of 42 Old 09-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Where can this be purchased from? Can't find them on Amazon.
post #27 of 42 Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Where can this be purchased from? Can't find them on Amazon.
Are you sure?...they came up as the first search result when I looked it up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Audi...iodic+audio+be
post #28 of 42 Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeshields View Post
Are you sure?...they came up as the first search result when I looked it up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Audi...iodic+audio+be
Did you look at the price? it says $870.00. Here its posted for 300. So not sure if they are the same headphones.
post #29 of 42 Old 09-30-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Did you look at the price? it says $870.00. Here its posted for 300. So not sure if they are the same headphones.
They are the same headphones but just being sold by a 3rd party seller probably hoping for an ill informed customer to purchase at that price...you'd be surprised how often it happens

post #30 of 42 Old 09-30-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip_VanWinkle View Post
Thanks for the review of the Periodic Be. I only rarely use IEMs, but was thinking just yesterday about getting a new pair. This may be more than I need, but seems like a good choice. I am interested by your reference to using the acoustic optimizer or personalization with the Samsung phone. Do you know if there is something similar available in the Apple universe?
I would also like to know the answer to this question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Tags
beryllium , iems , periodic audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page