Looking for headphones to listen to music on iPhone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looking for headphones to listen to music on iPhone

Hello.

Please bear with me as I don't have much knowledge about audio and headphones. Also if this question has already been answered in another thread feel free to point me there has I haven't been able to find a thread that addresses this particular question.

I listen to music primarily off of my iPhone and I've been using the stock earbuds that come with phone. I'm looking for a really nice pair of headphones that I can use to listen to my music.

I mostly listen to heavy metal and rock music and I don't have any of the equalizer options turned on to alter the music. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 429 S which sound really nice but I don't think they're loud enough and I don't think the frequency range is Broad enough.

What's out there that I can get that will allow me to get the most out of my music when playing off of my iPhone? Money is not much of an issue but I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-11-2017, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Send a message via AIM to Chief Technician Send a message via Yahoo to Chief Technician Send a message via Skype™ to Chief Technician
Exclamation Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_q View Post
I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 429 S which sound really nice but I don't think they're loud enough and I don't think the frequency range is Broad enough.
HD_429S_Fact_Sheet.pdf lists the frequency range (response) as 18 - 22,000 Hz. That covers the range of human hearing. Their (max?) SPL level is 110dB. OSHA says that is a safe listening level for only 30 minutes per day.

Quote:
What's out there that I can get that will allow me to get the most out of my music when playing off of my iPhone? Money is not much of an issue but I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible.
Perhaps the impedance of these headphones (32 ohms) is causing what you are perceiving. Which model iPhone are you using?
post #3 of 17 Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
HD_429S_Fact_Sheet.pdf lists the frequency range (response) as 18 - 22,000 Hz. That covers the range of human hearing. Their (max?) SPL level is 110dB. OSHA says that is a safe listening level for only 30 minutes per day.

Perhaps the impedance of these headphones (32 ohms) is causing what you are perceiving. Which model iPhone are you using?
I'm using the iPhone 5se. I just get the feeling I might not be getting a full sound. I don't have anything to compare them to. I was just wondering what's out there besides the earbuds and the Sennheiser headphones I have and if potentially can be better than what I have.

I sometimes use a Bluetooth receiver with the iPhone since I like the choice of headphones if I Want to Go Wireless for a bit. But when I listen to music I usually plug the headphones straight into the phone. I also can't really tell the difference plugged straight into the phone and using the bluetooth receiver connected to the iPhone.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Send a message via AIM to Chief Technician Send a message via Yahoo to Chief Technician Send a message via Skype™ to Chief Technician
Arrow More Impedance

Quote:
I'm using the iPhone 5se. I just get the feeling I might not be getting a full sound. I don't have anything to compare them to. I was just wondering what's out there besides the earbuds and the Sennheiser headphones I have and if potentially can be better than what I have.
If you were going to get another set of headphones, something with an impedance greater than 32Ω may help. A quick Google search did not yield definitive information on the audio output impedance of the SE.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
get yourself an in-line digital to analog converter (DAC) along w/a slightly better set of headphones or IEMs. A DAC/amp would be even better. you can find them from not expensive to very expensive.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
HD_429S_Fact_Sheet.pdf lists the frequency range (response) as 18 - 22,000 Hz.
Well, but as a loudspeaker engineer I have to rain on the parade and say frequency response specs are pretty meaningless, particularly with headphones which interact so much with the driving source AND the ears AND the tightness of the seal. OTOH, Sennheisers are usually decent.

Quote:
Perhaps the impedance of these headphones (32 ohms) is causing what you are perceiving.
Quite possibly. And maybe those Sennheisers are just not very sensitive. For sure my Bose QC35s are not, which is why I just use them on planes and for mowing the lawn.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
get yourself an in-line digital to analog converter (DAC) along w/a slightly better set of headphones or IEMs. A DAC/amp would be even better. you can find them from not expensive to very expensive.
Yes, though you have to really check if DAC/amps will actually work with an iPhone, since Apple is very tight about licensing the digital output.
Contrariwise, it might be simpler to just find headphones that sound good with the iPhone. Since headphones are SO user-specific, it really means listening, either at stores or mail-order with easy returns. And while $200 has a lot of choices, good headphones should last you DECADES so don't be afraid to spend more. It's OK! I'll give you my blessing!
post #8 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 233
You may need a portable headphone amp to listen to these.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 200
If you wanna go fancy and just out of your iPhone checkout the Campfire Andromeda ($1200) they actually sound quite good out of an iPhone but scale with fancier gear
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
IPhone & Headphones

I don't believe you can get really great sound out of Apple. Even using their lossless compression it still lacks life. I just converted all my music into Flac files and loaded them into my HTPC and an Onkyo DP-X1A portable player. WOW, my music is alive again. Sorry Apple but you have lost me forever.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Try PSB - M4U2. Very comfortable and the sou d is very rich and beautiful and well balanced. They also include a built in headphone amp that you can switch on right in the right-side headphone.

They were created by Paul Barton a sou d engineer who was making speakers and doing research on sound for decades.

They cost 300 new on Amazon.
I chose tbe PSB over quite a few other mid-range headphones that were in an audio store that day two years ago and still use them everyday, which in a way is saying alot because I listen and collect almost exclusively open-back headphones made by Grado labs.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 17 Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Yes, though you have to really check if DAC/amps will actually work with an iPhone, since Apple is very tight about licensing the digital output.
Contrariwise, it might be simpler to just find headphones that sound good with the iPhone. Since headphones are SO user-specific, it really means listening, either at stores or mail-order with easy returns. And while $200 has a lot of choices, good headphones should last you DECADES so don't be afraid to spend more. It's OK! I'll give you my blessing!
iOS has supported USB audio devices since iOS 7 (about a year earlier than Android). You just need the lightning to USB adapter that comes as part off the camera connection kit. Hook that to the iPhone, then the USB DAC via USB cable and it will auto route all audio through it. Yes, it also supports high res audio (it's the official way to get beyond 48/16 on iOS).

Note - you MUST use the camera connection kit fort his to work.

Of course, it's a much less portable solution than finding a pair of headphones that work directly with the iPhone.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-14-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
iOS has supported USB audio devices since iOS 7 (about a year earlier than Android). You just need the lightning to USB adapter that comes as part off the camera connection kit. Hook that to the iPhone, then the USB DAC via USB cable and it will auto route all audio through it. Yes, it also supports high res audio (it's the official way to get beyond 48/16 on iOS).

Note - you MUST use the camera connection kit fort his to work.

Of course, it's a much less portable solution than finding a pair of headphones that work directly with the iPhone.
My Sony PHA-2 just uses the lightning connector straight from the iPhone. Many others will do the same.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Well, those DACs simply incorporate the Apple stuff inside them, just like headphones with a lightning connector (I know Sony makes a few headphones that plug direct into a lightning port as well). Saves buying the CCK, but if you want a universal works with everything solution, the CCK is required.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hello.

Please bear with me as I don't have much knowledge about audio and headphones. Also if this question has already been answered in another thread feel free to point me there has I haven't been able to find a thread that addresses this particular question.

I listen to music primarily off of my iPhone and I've been using the stock earbuds that come with phone. I'm looking for a really nice pair of headphones that I can use to listen to my music.

I mostly listen to heavy metal and rock music and I don't have any of the equalizer options turned on to alter the music. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 429 S which sound really nice but I don't think they're loud enough and I don't think the frequency range is Broad enough.

Thanks in advance!
For deep bass and rich highs that also feel comfortable then look no further than these bad boys right here. Get these and you will thank me later

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...words=HD+630VB

LG 55inch UHD TV
Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Amps: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
Polk Signature Series - S20 for L/R, S35 Center, S15 Surrounds
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801
Roku 4, Nvidia Shield, Darbee Darblet 5000
post #16 of 17 Old 09-19-2017, 03:37 AM

You want to look at the Audeze EL-8. It ships automatically with lightning cable adapters. It's quite e oensuve at 700 USD but I've heard it it's amazing. In fact the closed back version sounds better to me than the open back version.

The build quality is unreal, btw. I've not seen a headphone before that is so study and made of only quality materials.

On YouTube if you type in "z reviews EL-8" the reviewer really goes into detail about the great build quality.

Audeze is the company that only a few years ago released the already classic LCD series of open back headphones costing upwards of 2,000 USD.

I've tried on and listened to the LCD -2 and LCD - X, both or top of the line end game masterpiece es that require massive amount talk of power from expensive top of the line headphone amps.

Apparently the EL-8 and the Sine are headphones from Audeze that are meant to be more affordable. I believe only the EL-8 ships with lightning cables for direct input to iPhones.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
post #17 of 17 Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 AM

Wow. My mistake. I haven't looked at these in over a year. The Audeze website lists them at 340 USD now. Amazing deal when you get these in your hands. I would highly recommend checking these out or YouTube reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Headphones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page