Looking for the right software/hardware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2001, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All -

I'm trying to find the right software package to run on a PC or an all in one box that is capable of doing the following:

Run a large (8000+) .mp3 collection in the following manner...

I want to create a playlist very similar to a radio station fromat clock...for example

Play 2 Rock Songs
Then 1 Country
Then 2 Dance
Then 2 Rock
Then 2 Oldies
etc...

The system would randomize songs that are in each of the category directories.....

So you could turn the system on and forget about it....and basically have your own radio station playing songs in the rotation you want.

I have been searching for ever wih no luck....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Squid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2002, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2002, 07:00 AM

i'm holding out for the escient fireball.. but also looking at the new rio and HP devices...

i don't want too much protection, i want to be able to copy files from my hard drive or CDs and to my RIO.

still sitting on fence until i'm sure i'm not getting stuck with a dud.

post any findings please :)

-------------------
Mitsi 55907
Denon 3801
Sony HD-100 STB
DirectTV/HD-DVR
OTA
ROKU
-------------------
post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2002, 02:22 PM

Check out http://www.nirvis.com . Their CDJ software provides basic music management capability for MP3 files.....creating, playing and storing playlists, searching music files, etc. With the addition of the Slink-e hardware, you can create playlists that seamlessly mix MP3's from your computer's hard drive with CDs stored in a Sony Mega CD jukebox. I've used CDJ with the Slink-e for about two years. I originally purchased a 200-CD Sony Mega changer, and was looking around for a better way to organize/search/play my CDs, and I stumbled on CDJ.

There is alot happening right now with the "convergence" of home automation and whole-house audio control solutions. Specifically, there are some folks who have come up with an elegant, customizeable web-based front-end for CDJ - it's called "CDJ Web Pages" ( a.k.a. "Track to File ). Thats just the "working name" for the project- don't ask me how they came up with it. The people who are building it are actually using a software-based home automation controller/scripting tool and web server called HomeSeer ( http://www.homeseer.com) to serve out web pages. Using these web pages, you can search your music collection, build , load and play playlists, etc. from any internet connected browser.

There has been a lot of 'cross-pollenation' between the Nirvis and Homeseer user forums, and some talented folks have recognized the potential of combining the scripting/web server capabilities of the HomeSeer software with the CDJ music management features. Most of the software is just now available in beta form, but I've been running it for a couple of months, and every single person who has seen the system has been impressed. A friend of mine stopped by the house a few weeks ago, and, after I gave him a brief 'tour' of the system, he began to compare it's features to the Escient system he had been lusting after - I got a chuckle out of that. In fact, CDJ uses CDDB ( now owned by Escient ) to retrieve the album title/artist/track information into it's music library.

The apps that are being developed through collaberation on these internet forums can hold their own against any whole-house automated audio control systems - even those over-priced software/hardware products like Escient's TuneBase and PowerFile .

HomeSeer Message board post regarding CDJ Web Page app:
http://homeseer.infopop.net/3/OpenTo...4&m=7352983772

Note: One drawback of the Slink-e hardware - it only talks to Sony devices that are equipped with Sony's proprietary Control A-1 interface.

Doug Cook
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 PM

The Lansonic digital audio server
can do what you want to do.

The other nice thing about it is
that the songs can be accessed
across a LAN from the Lansonic
DAS.