PopCorn Hour A-110 and B-110 announced! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From 24th of May till 2nd of June we visited Syabas. Upon our return, we brought information about two new products to be launched in June and created an overall report upon our impressions and ideas. As it turned out, more products are planned for release in 2008, possibly a new remote as well compatible with all players and in general we found product hardware mostly to remain the same. That means, concentration for 2008 will be firmware and firmware, no SMP8654 media players are expected before early 2009 however... some products have a very different approach...

Interested for a little read on Syabas / PoPCorn hour?
http://www.mpcclub.com/banner_log.php?id=5091

Enjoy
Hi-Jack

Enjoy
Hi-Jack
www.mpcclub.com
Things can be interpreted in two ways - positively or exactly as it is!
You decide which leads to the real truth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Nice article and list of requested features. But can we just get an off command that turns off the front panel lights without requiring a recycling of the power to turn the unit back on again?

Jim
post #3 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We discussed that too actually :-)
Will be looked at but it seemed more difficult to achieve due to the hardware design...
You have a point there, somehow it slipped the report and I must recheck with yabas
what the outcome was now. So many things have been said I probably blurred half to
stay with the most important and catchy ones...

(at least power on by remote after proper shutdown is one of the items that should have made it)

Enjoy
Hi-Jack
www.mpcclub.com
post #4 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Jack View Post

From 24th of May till 2nd of June we visited Syabas. Upon our return, we brought information about two new products to be launched in June and created an overall report upon our impressions and ideas. As it turned out, more products are planned for release in 2008, possibly a new remote as well compatible with all players and in general we found product hardware mostly to remain the same. That means, concentration for 2008 will be firmware and firmware, no SMP8654 media players are expected before early 2009 however... some products have a very different approach...

Interested for a little read on Syabas / PoPCorn hour?
http://www.mpcclub.com/banner_log.php?id=5091

Enjoy
Hi-Jack

Hi,

Good read. Thanks Hi-Jack.

I am very happy that they will goto DB based browsing.

lymzy

HDPLEX
post #5 of 25 Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Why all the clamoring for Blu-ray? With Blu-ray comes DRM.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-07-2008, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Is there hope that high bitrate MKV playback will work sooner or later with 863x? Or will we have to wait for 865x?
post #7 of 25 Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With Bly-ray comes support for Blu-ray disks and DVD Commercial disks so it has
benefits for a wide range of users... There should always be possibilities to buy
streamers without and streamer with. Camps wanting DVD/BD or not are pretty
much cut in half... (and we report from global vision, not personal :-) )

The L5.1 encdings with higher amount of reference frames probably never will work on
the SMP8634/35 due to limitations. if it would on SMP8654 is still an open question. We
don't know what exactly the problem is with the chips and therefore cannot say...

Enjoy
Hi-Jack
www.mpcclub.com
post #8 of 25 Old 06-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Liked: 14
I'm waiting for ANY streamer that can pass-through the HD audio formats (DTS-HD, DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc) to a decoding receiver and take full advantage of HDMI 1.3.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good news for you then... they are likely to be added to current layers having HDMI 1.3 before the end of the year... It's unsure if this is subject to licensing (investigated right now) and with that, if lecenses are due, unsure if all players will add it...

Enjoy

Enjoy
Hi-Jack
www.mpcclub.com
post #10 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Jack View Post

The L5.1 encdings with higher amount of reference frames probably never will work on the SMP8634/35 due to limitations. if it would on SMP8654 is still an open question. We don't know what exactly the problem is with the chips and therefore cannot say...

So the problem is not the bitrate but only the amount of reference frames?

Personally, I'm not interested at all in any reencodings. I'm only interested in native Blu-Ray content - but I'm remuxing (not reencoding) all my Blu-Rays to MKV. I've been told that the NMTs don't play such Blu-Ray to MKV remuxes fluidly, if the video bitrate is very high. But I've not actually tested it myself yet. It's possible that what I've been told is wrong.

Let me rephrase my question: Which chip is needed to play all my straight Blu-Ray to MKV remuxes (not reencodes!) fluidly, regardless of bitrate?
post #11 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
you only have to encode it correct to mkv if you stay in the specs then all will play flawless the problem is that many just take high 5.1 with many ref frames what nothing brings also many releasegroups are to damn to make it right so hust stay in the specs and the popcornhour or also the dvico 6500 will play it!

Here is an good thread how to create files inside the specs if you do it so you wont have problems!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503
post #12 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Is he saying Blu-ray to mkv is not a re-encode?
post #13 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Silverblade, I am with you!!!!
post #14 of 25 Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Is he saying Blu-ray to mkv is not a re-encode?

Yes, as long as you keep the video stream in it's original MPEG-2/4 encoding, it's not a "re-encode". Changing the audio encoding and/or file wrapper around the video is much less CPU intensive.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

you only have to encode it correct to mkv if you stay in the specs then all will play flawless

I appreciate (very much) that you try to answer my question. But you seem to have missed that I DO NOT REENCODE !!! Do you know the difference between remuxing and reencoding? When remuxing, the video is taken directly from Blu-Ray and not touched at all. It's just put into a different container (MKV instead of m2ts). So you pointing me to a thread about x264 encoding options isn't helpful at all.

Please let me repeat my question: Does NMT with the 863x allow playing back of very high bitrate MKV files which are straight Blu-Ray remuxes (not reencodes)? Or is the 865x needed for that? Or won't even the 865x do that?

Thanks!
post #16 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

ok sorry for that then i understand it wrong but then why you wanna remux it to mkv??? why not just play the m2ts file, mkv makes only sence when i wanna get an smaller file with an good result on quality! but what you wanna do makes no sence because m2ts can be played native so why you wanna mux it into mkv which needs to get over an software parser in the sigma code?
The only thing i know that also on 8635 there will come an new software parser which is based on haali this will give more performance around 30mbps files but i still think that it wont make what you want and i dont know when it will come.
Still i cant understand the reason why you wanna do that

cHarOn
post #17 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

why you wanna remux it to mkv??? why not just play the m2ts file, mkv makes only sence when i wanna get an smaller file with an good result on quality! but what you wanna do makes no sence because m2ts can be played native so why you wanna mux it into mkv which needs to get over an software parser in the sigma code?

I am collecting the best video and audio tracks of every movie I like. Often I mix different Blu-Ray and/or HD DVD releases of different countries to get the best video and audio experience possible. In order to save space I'm transcoding lossless audio to FLAC. And I'm leaving lossy encodes just as they are. Now m2ts doesn't support FLAC nor does it support the E-AC3 stream format used by HD DVD. So I have no use for m2ts. MKV is much more flexible. And there are very nice and free tools to work with MKV (e.g. my own "eac3to" tool).

Quote:

The only thing i know that also on 8635 there will come an new software parser which is based on haali this will give more performance around 30mbps files but i still think that it wont make what you want and i dont know when it will come.

Thanks for this information! So even with the new parser we'll be limited to 30mbps? Will this improve with 865x?
post #18 of 25 Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

hard to say about 865x now i think this needs longer when we get infos on that right now only around 3 boards are avaible in the world!
post #19 of 25 Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

I am collecting the best video and audio tracks of every movie I like. Often I mix different Blu-Ray and/or HD DVD releases of different countries to get the best video and audio experience possible. In order to save space I'm transcoding lossless audio to FLAC. And I'm leaving lossy encodes just as they are. Now m2ts doesn't support FLAC nor does it support the E-AC3 stream format used by HD DVD. So I have no use for m2ts. MKV is much more flexible. And there are very nice and free tools to work with MKV (e.g. my own "eac3to" tool).

Thanks for this information! So even with the new parser we'll be limited to 30mbps? Will this improve with 865x?

Interesting details on why you want certain way to back up content.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Any news on whether the A-110/B-100 will support 480i HDMI output?

BTW - B-110 sounds quite interesting.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Now m2ts doesn't support FLAC nor does it support the E-AC3 stream format used by HD DVD. So I have no use for m2ts. MKV is much more flexible. And there are very nice and free tools to work with MKV (e.g. my own "eac3to" tool).

Given that the Blu-ray disc specification provides optional support for Dolby Digital Plus streams to be placed within the .M2TS container, why the need to use the .MKV container?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #22 of 25 Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Given that the Blu-ray disc specification provides optional support for Dolby Digital Plus streams to be placed within the .M2TS container, why the need to use the .MKV container?

Blu-Ray DD+ streams are a different animal compared to HD DVD DD+ streams. You cannot just reuse an HD DVD DD+ stream for a Blu-Ray. You'd have to totally decode the HD DVD stream and reencode it to get a Blu-Ray style DD+ track. So what I said still applies: The m2ts container does neither support HD DVD style DD+ tracks nor FLAC. Which is why I prefer MKV.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM

When is the A-110 Available?
post #24 of 25 Old 07-18-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you asked the manufacturer?
post #25 of 25 Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It looks like progress in the NMT field is slowing down as all new releases are postponed to later dates. No one is answering why it is and the usual comments of "tuning" applies. Whether this means hardware issues that need to be rsolved (tuned) ir is merely a case of firmware enhancements on the HDMI 1.3 (HD Audio for instance) is unknown. There are small hints given that we will be surprised in few future updates but also those we consider general statements.

There is this weird situation if I come to think off everything togethers where iSTAR NMT has issues lately with half the MKV files thrown at it using the latest firmware and issues with the HDMI 1.3 version. Since also the A-110 and iSTAR's next release, the H10 will use HDMI 1.3, we might almost conclude Syabas has issues with the development of the firmware to steer the HDMI 1.3 properly... That idea however conflicts with the fact eGreat seems to have no scrupules or issues to launch a HDMI 1.3 player early August (EG-M32)... which also an NMT.

All we can do is wait for information coming from the other side to learn about new developments and release dates, of a fix for the issues with the iSTAR at this moment in the latest firmware released. Fact is, somehow it feels as everything but firmware updates has halted at this stage from our side...

Charon can't tell us much (he can't as he's hired by Syabas now) but equally hinted big changes... ( Not necessarily means big for us :-) )

We are pending information and as soon as we do, you will know too...
A news story about the clash between TViX and NMT is coming up later today... We thought it might be good to offer an update between the two and how we feel both are doing at this time...
(PS: If I envie to write whole day as it is a long story in the form of our "2 cents article" which can be read here: http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=594 ))

Enjoy
Hi-Jack

Enjoy
Hi-Jack
www.mpcclub.com
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page